nyankee

Should I adopt stepdaughter to bring her here with my wife?

39 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Belize
Timeline
Well, i want to take terminate the father's rights bc i do not want to deal with him anymore in the future, or have to pay him money anything else that could come up where i would need his permission.

I guess what i'll do is terminate his rights, then file the i130 for my stepdaughter. Also ask a lawyer or us embassy in bolivia, if it is possible to use the new birth certificate. I was thinking of terminating the father's rights, and then after giving her my last name i would also formally adopt her. I just have to find out if i can do the adoption and bolivia, or if i have to do it here to change her name. That way she gets her visa with my last name and any other document from that point. Maybe, i need some other type of document besides a bith certificate to get her visa under my name.

Just my 2 cents. If someone was "forcing' me into terminating my parental rights then that would most likely result in me saying FU and I would be extremely uncooperative.... If someone approached me in a spirit of cooperation, then I might be more agreeable...

I understand the want to eliminate "heartburn" from the non-custodial parent in the future but what else could he get in the way of? My stepson has been here almost 3 years and we have had zero issues with his biological father. In these almost three years, the father has called twice to speak to his "son". The only document we had signed was the "permission to emigrate". The only potential thing standing in our way that I can see before the child turns 18 is his passport will expire early next year. We will need the biological father's "signature" for a renewal, but it is also not a huge problem if we don't since he is also on my wife's passport and they can just travel together. My wife also feels that if the child calls his father and asks for his signature he will get it. She is confident the father will not say "no" to his son.

You do not need to wait until you have this agreement to file the I-130... you can begin the I-130 process now and as long as you have what you need by the time the visa is ready to be issued 6-8 mos. from now. By waiting for this "event" to occur before submitting the I-130 you are building in a significant delay.

The name is so insignificant... you could petition to change her name in the states (process and eligibility requirements are dependent on your states name change laws) all after the fact if it is so important to you that she has "your" name. There is no advantage from an immigration standpoint for the child to have "your" name.

Well, i'm not in any hurry to file for my stepdaughter yet. I want to bring my wife here first and get stable financially. I'm using my parents to cosponsor for my wife, since i never filed taxes bc i'm a full time college student. So, i want to use the time i have before i file for my stepdaughter to deal with the problems with her father. You see, i wanted to have a good relationship with my stepdaughter's father, but it can't happen bc this guy does not care about her and just wants to use this situation to get money off of us. I do not want to be paying this guy and be dealing with this ####### everytime we need his signature.

Anyway, after i get him to give up his parental rights, which includes his last name, I will see if i can adopt her, even though she will already use my last name in bolivia after her father gives up his rights, but i want to adopt her too to have more documents to back up the name change in Bolivia. We just want to see if it is possible to get my stepdaughter's visa and greencard with my last name, and get it over with. Bc he won't legally be her father anymore, plus ill adopt her. I don't see why they would issue her visa under a name that is not legal in Bolivia anymore, if i have the proper proof to back up the name change. I will find out what i have to do to make it happen when i speak with a lawyer tomorrow.

You have no money. As a practical matter, how do you plan to pay a lawyer to file a legal action to terminate the father's rights? Have you considered the psychological damage to your daughter. A court proceeding may be more damaging to her than paying off her father. You need to get beyond your hatred for this man and do what is in the best interest of your step-daughter even if it means putting up with s h i t you don't like.

And what do you think im doing? My daughter doesnt even consider that man as her father. The only thing he has done all his life is let her down. When he cheated on my wife and left her, he did not care if they ate or not. My wife and stepdaughter went through some rough times. My stepdaughter loves me, and calls me dad because since i got with her mother she has had a father figure. She actually mentioned to my wife that she wanted to have the same same as her brother, who will be born this january. So, trust me the situation, isnt liek you think it is. I am doing this for a reason. As for the money, i will have enough. I can work for my father's company for a good salary when i want. Plus, the lawyer in charging me 200 bucks for getting the father's right taken away, and for the adoption it will probably be less than 1000. So this is the in the best interest of my family, we do not need a a man like that in our lives. Now, if in the future my stepdaughter wants a relationship with him, i won't mind, thats up to her.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Have you known them and feel comfortabel enough to make this commitment. Coz as you knoqw in USa iadoption is more solid than the marriages!!

august 2004 I-129 filed (neb)

DEC 2004 Approved

interview: SEOUL

MArch 21st , 2005AR for special security clearance,washington

May 18th tranfer case from Seoul to Islammabad

June 21st security clearance done

June 28th online at the embassy in Islamabad

waiting for paper transfer and the good word

OCTOBER 14TH 2005 Interview Number 2: ISLAMABAD, PK

AR number 2 sent to DOS per Islamabad (2 cable request)

Nov 22 okd updated financial and etc proof accepted / embassy waiting for security cables

dec 20th one cable back waiting on 2nd

Jan 17th.. good word recieved. SECURITY CHECKS ALL CLEAR!!! DOS says embassy to contact him within two weeks!!!!!!

FEBRUARY 10th, 2006 VISA RECIEVED!!! They called him In via phone, stamped his passort and sent him on his way!!!

FEB 28th WELCOME HOME>>>POE CHICAGO did not even look at xray, few questions. one hour wait at Poe

march 10th marriage (nikkah at the islamic center)

aug 2006 AOS interview, cond 2 yr GC arrived september

June 2008 applied for removal of conditions on permant residency aka awaiting for 10 yr greencard

Dec 2008 10yr green card approved, no interview.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Sounds like my history with my 14 year old step daughter, did kick adoption around by talking to professionals, extremely expensive, has to be completed before the child was 16 and the process takes at least four years in her country. Plus you need the biological fathers permission.

Step daughters biological father abandoned her when she was seven years old and moved to a different country, first we had to locate him, then get him to agree to release the child to his mother with full custody and give his permission for her to leave her country, even though he was not a part of it. Then tried to use this as a means to blackmail her mother, but we had in our favor the fact that he owed seven years of back child support payments with four more years of it. Like in this country, if a father does not pay child support, it's up to the mom to take court action, my wife to be at the time never did that. This ensued in a court battle, but we had all the cards in our favor, in a bluff, even offered to award full custody of his child to him, he backed off of that. But we needed that paper even before applying for the I-130.

I wouldn't have thought much of my wife if she abandoned her child, and of course, she didn't even want the thought of that, we both agreed, this matter had to be taken care of, it was, so when I applied for the I-130, applied for both of them at precisely the same time. Since our marriage was less than two years, our daughter received the conditional card as well as her mom. So she tailgated her mom on the I-751, but did turn 18 before we could apply for the N-400, she will be applying for USC in seven months from today.

You can expect some emotional problems with a rejected child that have to be dealt with, but still had my house rules about staying out of trouble and getting good grades in school. Was really shocked with Venezuela, her passport expired when she was 16 years old, their consulate would not renew it without her biological fathers permission, even with the court order.

Wife and daughter both were afraid to contact him, besides the rest of the story, this guy was a wife beater, so I contacted him, he wanted $10,000.00 to sign that permission slip. Told this to my daughter, she could wait until she was 18, our only other choice. Venezuelan laws are unbelievable, they even knew he was a wife beater. Well she finally got her passport when she was 18, I did buy her a plane ticket so she could visit her family, she looked him up as an adult and told me, he is a complete a$$hole. This changed her attitude completely and came home a different person and is on the high honor roll at her university and gave me a big hug for being a good dad.

You really have to talk this over with your wife as to the best course of action. when things for us really looked bleak, first and only time I really saw her cry, it's her daughter. We will get through this and fortunately, I had the cash to get it done. Courts in both Venezuela and Colombia are corrupt, so it takes a couple of extra bucks to get them moving. But considered the moral aspects even more, this is a human life that cannot be ignored. Things for us are going very smooth now, but it was a battle for awhile.

If the USCIS is reading this, wife has been a USC for over a year now, we are still married and very happy and our daughter is doing very well. I didn't like being treated like a criminal by them. Wife is so sweet, can't even comprehend anyone beating her, but she wants me to stay far away from her ex, but wouldn't mind spending a couple of minutes with him to learn if he could beat me up.

Get your paper work in order, first thing the USCIS wants to see about your step child, is that paper work. Also cost me a small fortune to have it translated by a court certified translator. No question about it's legality. And bring your wife and child here on the same plane.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Belize
Timeline
Sounds like my history with my 14 year old step daughter, did kick adoption around by talking to professionals, extremely expensive, has to be completed before the child was 16 and the process takes at least four years in her country. Plus you need the biological fathers permission.

Step daughters biological father abandoned her when she was seven years old and moved to a different country, first we had to locate him, then get him to agree to release the child to his mother with full custody and give his permission for her to leave her country, even though he was not a part of it. Then tried to use this as a means to blackmail her mother, but we had in our favor the fact that he owed seven years of back child support payments with four more years of it. Like in this country, if a father does not pay child support, it's up to the mom to take court action, my wife to be at the time never did that. This ensued in a court battle, but we had all the cards in our favor, in a bluff, even offered to award full custody of his child to him, he backed off of that. But we needed that paper even before applying for the I-130.

I wouldn't have thought much of my wife if she abandoned her child, and of course, she didn't even want the thought of that, we both agreed, this matter had to be taken care of, it was, so when I applied for the I-130, applied for both of them at precisely the same time. Since our marriage was less than two years, our daughter received the conditional card as well as her mom. So she tailgated her mom on the I-751, but did turn 18 before we could apply for the N-400, she will be applying for USC in seven months from today.

You can expect some emotional problems with a rejected child that have to be dealt with, but still had my house rules about staying out of trouble and getting good grades in school. Was really shocked with Venezuela, her passport expired when she was 16 years old, their consulate would not renew it without her biological fathers permission, even with the court order.

Wife and daughter both were afraid to contact him, besides the rest of the story, this guy was a wife beater, so I contacted him, he wanted $10,000.00 to sign that permission slip. Told this to my daughter, she could wait until she was 18, our only other choice. Venezuelan laws are unbelievable, they even knew he was a wife beater. Well she finally got her passport when she was 18, I did buy her a plane ticket so she could visit her family, she looked him up as an adult and told me, he is a complete a$$hole. This changed her attitude completely and came home a different person and is on the high honor roll at her university and gave me a big hug for being a good dad.

You really have to talk this over with your wife as to the best course of action. when things for us really looked bleak, first and only time I really saw her cry, it's her daughter. We will get through this and fortunately, I had the cash to get it done. Courts in both Venezuela and Colombia are corrupt, so it takes a couple of extra bucks to get them moving. But considered the moral aspects even more, this is a human life that cannot be ignored. Things for us are going very smooth now, but it was a battle for awhile.

If the USCIS is reading this, wife has been a USC for over a year now, we are still married and very happy and our daughter is doing very well. I didn't like being treated like a criminal by them. Wife is so sweet, can't even comprehend anyone beating her, but she wants me to stay far away from her ex, but wouldn't mind spending a couple of minutes with him to learn if he could beat me up.

Get your paper work in order, first thing the USCIS wants to see about your step child, is that paper work. Also cost me a small fortune to have it translated by a court certified translator. No question about it's legality. And bring your wife and child here on the same plane.

Yeah, we talked to the father last night, and he wants 1,000 bucks to give up his parental rights...... We'll we're starting the process next week. A lawyer in bolivia told me it would take 1-2 months for the court to approve it. It would take 8 months, if the father did not want to, but i guess 1,000 bucks is what his daughter is worth to him. After he signs the papers the mother has full custody, and the father's last name is also removed from my stepdaughter compeltely, even in her birth certificate. After that, i just have to recognize her as my daughter and give her my last name, kind of like an adoption, but i'm married to her mother, so the lawyer said it was not necessary to adopt her to give her my last name. Anyway, that is in bolivia. Would that be enough paper work to file for my stepdaughter using my last name? that way my stepdaughter would be able to get her visa with my last name, and any future documents. Or would i still need to adopt her to use my last name in the I-130. How can this be done?

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

How about, my daughter, 6 yrs old and in the Philippines. I didn't put her father's name in her Birth Certificate, so it's blank. Her father didn't support her and me ever since I was pregnant. Nobody knows where he is right now.

My USC husband now is planning to petition her, so do we still need a notarized consent from him? If so, I really don't know where in the hell I could find him :devil:

Edited by cHiQy

Married 2007, Husband became USC 06/2009,

I became a LPR 11/2009

IR-2 for USC's stepdaughter (my daughter) TIMELINE :

03/22/10 - Sent I-130 to Chicago, IL

03/23/10 - Received & Signed by R Mercado

03/31/10 - NOA1 Date

04/02/10 - Check cashed

04/05/10 - Received NOA1

05/03/10 - Touched

05/04/10 - Touched

05/05/10 - Touched/Received Approval Message (email&text) 44 days!!!

05/06/10 - Touched/Status says Approval Notice Sent on 05/05/10

05/07/10 - Case # Assigned

05/10/10 - Received NOA2

05/12/10 - DS3032/AOS Fee Bill Received (email)

05/12/10 - Sent DS3032 via email & Paid AOS Fee Bill

05/16/10 - AOS Fee Bill Payment Status is PAID

05/17/10 - DS3032 Accepted/DS230 Fee Bill Received/Sent AOS Packet

06/09/10 - Checklist Cover Letter Received by email (to pay&send DS230, & RFE for AOS)

06/23/10 - Sent RFE for AOS

06/30/10 - NVC Received RFE Response as per AVR

07/02/10 - Paid IV fee bill

07/13/10 - Sent DS230

07/14/10 - Packet received as per USPS

08/12/10 - AOS Accepted

08/17/10 - Sign in fail

08/18/10 - Called NVC, operator told me that our case will be sent to USEM

08/23/10 - Case received at USEM

08/24/10 - USEM gave Interview Date : September 17 @ 7:15am

09/17/10 - APPROVED

10/14/10 - POE at WAS, USA

N-400 for Me

01/09/13 - Sent to Dallas Lockbox (Lewisville, TX)

01/15/13 - Check Cashed and NOA date

01/28/13 - Biometrics Appointment (DONE)

01/30/13 - Email received "In line for Interview Scheduling"

Filed: Other Country: Japan
Timeline
How about, my daughter, 6 yrs old and in the Philippines. I didn't put her father's name in her Birth Certificate, so it's blank. Her father didn't support her and me ever since I was pregnant. Nobody knows where he is right now.

My USC husband now is planning to petition her, so do we still need a notarized consent from him? If so, I really don't know where in the hell I could find him :devil:

There are provisions for such, but you'll have to check with the local authorities. You may need to present proof, or a statement to the effect that you are unaware of the identity of the father and unable to locate him. Once approved, that would take the place of his consent.

LingChe NVC Guide

Using this guide may allow you to fly through NVC in as little as 11 days.

visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/LingChe_NVC_ShortCut

--------------------

Our Visa Journey

2006-11-01: Met online through common interest in music - NOT Dating Service

2007-01-28: Met in person in Paris

2007-10-02: Married in Tokyo

2008-07-05: I-130 Sent

2008-08-13: NOA2 I-130

2008-10-02: Case Complete at NVC

2008-11-04: Interview - CR-1 Visa APPROVED

2008-12-11: POE - Chicago

2009-01-12: GC and Welcome Letter

2010-09-01: Preparing I-751 Removal of Conditions

2011-03-22: Card Production Ordered

2011-03-30 10 Year Card Received DONE FOR 10 YEARS

Standard Disclaimer (may not be valid in Iowa or Kentucky, please check your local laws): Any information given should not be considered legal advice,

and is based on personal experience or personal knowledge. Sometimes there might not be any information at all in my posts. Sometimes it might just

be humor or chit-chat, or nonsense. Deal with it. If you can read this...you're too close. Step away from the LingLing

YES WE DID!

And it appears to have made very little difference.

.png

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

how about getting court order sole custody?

Married 2007, Husband became USC 06/2009,

I became a LPR 11/2009

IR-2 for USC's stepdaughter (my daughter) TIMELINE :

03/22/10 - Sent I-130 to Chicago, IL

03/23/10 - Received & Signed by R Mercado

03/31/10 - NOA1 Date

04/02/10 - Check cashed

04/05/10 - Received NOA1

05/03/10 - Touched

05/04/10 - Touched

05/05/10 - Touched/Received Approval Message (email&text) 44 days!!!

05/06/10 - Touched/Status says Approval Notice Sent on 05/05/10

05/07/10 - Case # Assigned

05/10/10 - Received NOA2

05/12/10 - DS3032/AOS Fee Bill Received (email)

05/12/10 - Sent DS3032 via email & Paid AOS Fee Bill

05/16/10 - AOS Fee Bill Payment Status is PAID

05/17/10 - DS3032 Accepted/DS230 Fee Bill Received/Sent AOS Packet

06/09/10 - Checklist Cover Letter Received by email (to pay&send DS230, & RFE for AOS)

06/23/10 - Sent RFE for AOS

06/30/10 - NVC Received RFE Response as per AVR

07/02/10 - Paid IV fee bill

07/13/10 - Sent DS230

07/14/10 - Packet received as per USPS

08/12/10 - AOS Accepted

08/17/10 - Sign in fail

08/18/10 - Called NVC, operator told me that our case will be sent to USEM

08/23/10 - Case received at USEM

08/24/10 - USEM gave Interview Date : September 17 @ 7:15am

09/17/10 - APPROVED

10/14/10 - POE at WAS, USA

N-400 for Me

01/09/13 - Sent to Dallas Lockbox (Lewisville, TX)

01/15/13 - Check Cashed and NOA date

01/28/13 - Biometrics Appointment (DONE)

01/30/13 - Email received "In line for Interview Scheduling"

Filed: Country:
Timeline
Would that be enough paper work to file for my stepdaughter using my last name? that way my stepdaughter would be able to get her visa with my last name, and any future documents. Or would i still need to adopt her to use my last name in the I-130. How can this be done?

You need to talk to an immigration lawyer for your final answer...

Regarding name on the Visa & Green Card, you do realize that the VISA is just a stamp on her passport right? The name on it will be the petitioner's name as the beneficiary is identified by the passport which holds the VISA STAMP.

Do you really care if her passport & greencard have her mother's maiden name on them for a little while? Once she's here, which is the main goal of all of this right, then you can legally change her last name as her mom is the sole legal parent and you'll have the legal documents to prove that, After her name is changed you can file with the appropriate agencies to correct her name on the passport, greencard etc.

Why are you so determined to complicate something that is already a pain in the backside?

cHiQy, look at my signature and PM my wife she'll guide you for how to proceed in the PH. You basically already have sole custody if you were never married to her father.

Edited by Bob 4 Anna

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.