Gemmie

Is this really a cultural difference?

54 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
oh and by the way has he told you most americans De-claw cats. personally i think thats awful.

What on *earth* are you talking about? I have NEVER seen a declawed cat, ever - and we are friends with many, many cat owners.

I certainly wouldn't go around suggesting that declawing is the norm - it's not. It's seen as just as cruel a practice here, and I know several vets who won't even perform the procedure.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This has been a very enlightening read. See, when I was growing up, we always had a cat in our house, and we let it out whenever it wanted, day or night, because it's natural for them to be outside. Cats are one of Mother Nature's finest natural hunters: haven't you all see the way they crouch down low, and wind up their hind legs before pouncing on some poor unsespecting bird, mouse or squirrel? :lol: Keeping them indoors just isn't right.

But having said that, after reading this, I now understand why 'er indoors looked at me like I had 2 heads when I told her we should let our kitten outside just as soon as she was old enough. I guess "house cats" is an American thing. :wacko:

That's exactly what happened with us!

"Why would you let your cat outside..."

"WHAT??"

We've come to an agreement now, to keep the cat indoors. I hate the thought of them being bored or unhappy but we'll see what happens. He says that he's never seen a cat that behaves that way.

Timeline

Round here it seems that few cats are allowed out

You need a cat license here and a chip to let it out - can you believe it !

out of town people let their cats roam free but some are taken by coyotes/mountain lions and bears

Seems most town americans keep their cats in

I thought it was stinky idea so i built a tunnel through to the garage with cat flaps on each end - and we have cat trays in there - the tunnel exits into a 4 foot by 4 foot pen with a wire netting lid and magnetic catches to hold the lid up for cleaning out

I built the whole thing in 107 degrees of heat last summer

luckily the cats are mentally well adjusted and there has never been a poopin accident in 9 months

moresheep400100.jpg

and scratch your posh sofa and claw your hands and legs, though if you dont want a pet to do something dont by a speices that does it imho :bonk:

never did get the mutialtion thing where not nessersary, we only had one dog who was surgically docked but she was taken shooting and that would have shreaded her tail and caused amjor problems for her had it not been done. :unsure: but to save a sofa :blink:

Well exactly!! I mean, sure, spay the gals and cut the toms' nuts off (that's being a responsible owner) but ffs, leave it at that!

while we are on the subject of weird pet related differences, does anyone think it's weird to have a cage for your dog?

i have seen crate training in the uk once, but i think it was just for behaviour and when i saw the cage it was just left open to use like a bed.

Homer Sez:

Increase your wordiness,

Boudoir:

Where a French guy does it.

Our full time line is in our story on our profile.

K1

04-30-2008.......I-129F POSTED

05-01-2008....NOA1 (Touched 05-04-2008, Touched 04-07-2008)

09-23-2008....NOA2 Approved(See below for receipt of actual NOA2 and update in the USCIS System***)

01-13-2009....INTERVIEW (APPROVED)

02-18-2009....POE (LAX)

04-09-2009....WEDDING

AOS

06-12-2009.....AOS,EAD and AP Fedexed.

06-15-2009.....Signed for by J.CHYBA

06-18-2009.....NOA1 dated for AOS/AP/EAD

06-19-2009.....Check cleared

06-23-2009.....Touched AOS/EAD/AP

07-20-2009.....phoned helpline to report no biometrics appointment sent, Service request generated.

07-25-2009.....Recieved biometrics notice (generated on the 22nd june) for the 08-19-2009.

07-30-2009.....Did early walk in biometrics.

07-31-2009.....Touched AOS/EAD

08-06-2009.....Generated interview notice(received 08/10/09)

08-10-2009.....EAD/AP Approved

08-19-2009.....***NOA2 (Finally received after 6 Phone calls, 11 months late) :)

09-09-2009.....Aos interview.(APPROVED)first card production email

09-12-2009.....Welcome Notice Received.

event.png

rmq4qx3kup.png

oh and by the way has he told you most americans De-claw cats. personally i think thats awful.

What on *earth* are you talking about? I have NEVER seen a declawed cat, ever - and we are friends with many, many cat owners.

I certainly wouldn't go around suggesting that declawing is the norm - it's not. It's seen as just as cruel a practice here, and I know several vets who won't even perform the procedure.

I had never seen a de-clawed cat before I met my friends cats in September. Both are de-clawed. The first was from a shelter and had been de-clawed by the previous owner. The second had claws, but the kitties would fight and the one with claws would kick the butt of the one without them....so they had him declawed. Apparently that practice is very common in Florida.

I personally would never de-claw a cat. I've seen a couple of rentals where they only accepted de-clawed cats. So i would never move there.

I have had outdoors cats all my life. Never an indoor. Doesnt seem right to keep them in. But we have a gators here and other predators like snakes. So i might have to re-think the outdoor cat idea.

K1

PLEASE SEE MY TIMELINE FOR K1 INFORMATION

AOS complete!

08/21/2009 - AOS package sent

08/28/2009 - NOA 1 for AOS, EAD, AP

08/31/2009 - Cheque cashed

09/05/2009 - Biometrics notice received

09/23/2009 - Biometrics Appointment

09/23/2009 - I-485 Transferred to CSC

10/02/2009 - EAD Approved (card production) & AP approved!

10/11/2009 - EAD Card received

10/20/2009 - AOS approved, GC card production ordered! (53 days in total)

10/26/2009 - Green Card received - nearly 11 months to the day of our K1 NOA 1!

11/25/2009 - Started my new job!

02/26/2010 - Passed my driving test :-p

07/20/2011 - Eligible to remove conditions

2012 - Going for citizenship

09/20/2011 - Removal of conditions submitted to VSC....here we go...again!

It's been a quick and relatively painless journey thanks to tireless research, dumb luck and this community :)

DONE with USCIS for a while :)

mnb0ir.png

Ok so i worded that abit wrong....maybe not most Americans, but i know a few cats that have been declawed, even the one i rescued is declawed. Living in england for 36 years i could have said i had never seen a clawed cat...i cant say that after living here. It was my husband who told me most americans have it done.

Oct. 2005-Met on MySpace.com
Jan. 2006-Bill visits Hayley in the UK
March 2006-Hayley visits Bill in America
June 2006-Hayley visits Bill in America
Oct. 2006-Hayley visits Bill in America (Again!)
Oct. 2006- Officially engaged!
K1.
Oct. 23 2006-I-129F sent to the Vermont Service Center
Oct. 25 2006-I-129F received
Oct. 31 2006- check cashed
Nov. 2 2006-NOA1 received
Nov. 13 2006- NOA2 email received
Nov. 17 2006-NOA2 actual letter received in mail
Nov. 20 2006-NVC receives our case!
Dec. 02 2006-Packet 3 arrives
Jan. 09 2007-receive police check(30 days)
Jan. 12 2007 booked medical for 15th feb.
Jan. 17 2007-packet 3 sent back (At last!)
Jan 31 2007-received packet 4, omg so excited....interview date:march 6th
Feb. 26-March 12 2007-Bill in the UK for Hayley's medical and interview
Feb.7 2007.Moved medical to 5th march.
March.5 2007- New medical date.
March.6 2007- Interview 10:30.
March.21 2007- VISA ARRIVED....YIPEEEEEEE
June.28 2007- Leaving England. POE Philadelphia ARGGHH
July.7.2007 Wedding day....
AOS.
July.10.2007 Sent off AOS and AP.
July 18.2007 Applied for SSN in married name.
August.7.2007 Biometrics appt at 8 am
August.20.2007 Advance parole came in post...wow that was quick.
August.24 2007 Got interview date for 5th oct.
October 5, 2007 Approved!
October.11.2007 Welcome letter came in mail.
October.18.2007 Greencard in mail...yayyayayayayay
July 13th 2009- here we go again..Removal of Conditions.
July 17th 2009- Check cashed.
July 20th 2009- NOA received.receipt date 07/15/09.
Aug 10th 2009- Biometrics appointment @ 11am.
Nov 20th 2009 -10 year Green Card arrive.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Ok so i worded that abit wrong....maybe not most Americans, but i know a few cats that have been declawed, even the one i rescued is declawed. Living in england for 36 years i could have said i had never seen a clawed cat...i cant say that after living here. It was my husband who told me most americans have it done.

Well, as I mentioned beforehand, it is illegal in almost every other country, so you wouldn't have seen a declawed cat in the UK.

I help out at an animal shelter and we have around 40 cats waiting to be re-homed. Of them, only 3 are declawed. Some people value their furniture more than their animals - I say if you're going to have a cat be aware that they scratch. If you can't handle it, don't own a cat. ;)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I'm not saying that it always creates problems but I do know that some cats that are declawed then develop problems with using the litter box because their paws are more sensitive and they dislike the feel of the litter. A cat without claws may also be more likely to bite. I think the assumption that ALL cats will claw furniture to shreds is wrong... I've had many cats in my family over the years and a good proportion of them have shown little to no inclination to claw anything other than their scratching posts or one particular spot that they like (such as the corner of the bed, or a favourite chair). I have never had any furniture destroyed by a cat, but I know that some cats can be very destructive... but you don't remove the teeth from a dog that chews up your best shoes, so why declaw a cat?

Happily my rescued kitten still has all his claws and has been neutered and vaccinated and seems very contented being an indoor cat. I had a cat who preferred to be indoors when I was a teenager, so the idea of a litter box is not repugnant to me. My Mum has two cats - one who stays close to home, and one who roams more - and both go outside but come home and are shut in at night to protect them from some of the more aggressive cats in the neighbourhood.

I have seen a woman in our apartment complex walking her cat on a harness and we are considering trying our cat with something similar - even if only to get him to and from the car since he absolutely detests his carrier. He is very well behaved and relaxed in the car when sitting on my lap, but is not a cat that likes to be picked up and held for any length of time.

Our apartment complex said we had to declaw our cat... we said NO, they responded that they would overlook it. And frankly, that's what we pay a $300 pet deposit on top of the normal deposit for - to compensate for any damage that may occur to their property.

Settling into married life

Waiting on the EAD, AP, and AOS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Stumbled onto this thread and will contribute, not as a Brit but as a USC cat-owner & -lover.

I'll simply say this: In 2002, my former girlfriend (a Canadian, living in rural Ontario, and intellectually brilliant) had 7 cats. I had one. We argued intensely and bitterly about the wisdom of letting cats outside. She explained in impassioned and highly articulate terms that it's a cat's nature to roam and explore, and that one kept inside (to wit, mine) was being "stifled and abused" (her words). Within 3 years, FIVE of her cats were dead -- of illness, attack, ingesting something, and accident -- and, despite her efforts toward health and grooming, the others looked horrible. Conversely, my 100% indoor cat survives and thrives today, fluffy and spoiled.

The indoor-vs.-outdoor question is perhaps less of a cultural difference and more a matter of how long we wish to keep our pets alive, plain and simple.

Edited by TBoneTX

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Stumbled onto this thread and will contribute, not as a Brit but as a USC cat-owner & -lover.

I'll simply say this: In 2002, my former girlfriend (a Canadian, living in rural Ontario, and intellectually brilliant) had 7 cats. I had one. We argued intensely and bitterly about the wisdom of letting cats outside. She explained in impassioned and highly articulate terms that it's a cat's nature to roam and explore, and that one kept inside (to wit, mine) was being "stifled and abused" (her words). Within 3 years, FIVE of her cats were dead -- of illness, attack, ingesting something, and accident -- and, despite her efforts toward health and grooming, the others looked horrible. Conversely, my 100% indoor cat survives and thrives today, fluffy and spoiled.

The indoor-vs.-outdoor question is perhaps less of a cultural difference and more a matter of how long we wish to keep our pets alive, plain and simple.

Your cat may be spoiled but is it allowed on the bed yet hahahahahaha

Timeline

Sorry TBone, but I'm inclined to agree with your ex. You are of course correct about the cat's life expectancy being far greater if you keep it indoors, but for me, having seen them outside in what is clearly their natural, instinctive habitat, then you just go with it and let them out. If they die, they die. My old mum has had 3 cats since 1983: one was run over by the next door neighbour aged 11; the second one disappeared into the woods by her house one night (as it frequently did) and never came back aged 5; and the 3rd is still going strong aged 10. Yes, 2 of them met premature ends due to their outdoor roaming, but that's the risk you take when you have a cat.

As I said earlier in this thread, one just has to observe their spectacular hunting prowess to be in no doubt that they are outdoor creatures. Having said that of course, the little buggers will also find the cosiest, warmest spot in your house to sleep for hours on end. :lol: On the off chance that reincarnation is a goer, I want to come back as a spoiled, pampered cat - what a life!

Edited by Damian P

Naturalization Timeline:

Event

Service Center : Phoenix AZ Lockbox

CIS Office : Saint Louis MO

Date Filed : 2014-06-11

NOA Date : 2014-06-16

Bio. Appt. :

Interview Date :

Approved :

Oath Ceremony :

Comments :

Since this is a cat thread of sorts, and I'm thinking about my Muffin this morning~~~

This is 11 lb. Muffin at 8 years old waiting to see if she got any email...

Yesterday morning at under 4 lbs, she spent her last day in the sun, a very weak old lady at 13 yrs, 8 months.

And by evening we had a little funeral in the back garden.

This morning I am still sad :crying:

She was a rescued kitten we found at a busy highway intersection. She lived indoors and out. She had claws. And she lived a good life.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Oh honey I am so very sorry for your loss, I know what it feels like..my Tosh (dog) died a few years back and I have still not got over it

My heart really goes out to you honey, sending you tons of loves and hugz, just remember muffin had a great life and a great mom and was loved

(F)(F)(L)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.