skparker

A few general questions

23 posts in this topic

Hey all, hope all is going good. I just have a few questions about differant categories, any help and advice will be much appreciated.

So we received our NOA1 a few weeks ago and im aware of the long wait for the NOA2. I want to get my things together in advance, what i need to get together and get organised. so i have a few random questions i could do with answering.

1. Can i send off for my police certificate now? or do i have to wait nearer to the interview time or until we receive our NOA2?

2. My birth certificate is a small piece of paper without my parents names on it, i dont think that will do, i have read of a long'birth certificate and im assuming mine isnt that. where do i obtain a long birth certificate from?

3. I will be obtaining a copy of my injections i have had, this will only be a photocopy, thats what the doctor said anyway, will this be ok? maybe if i get the photocopy stamped or signed by the doctor/nurse?

4. THE MEDICAL, will the medical and interview be done on the same day? what is the best way to go about it? What is the cost at the London medical center?

Theres a few of many questions i have but i want to be getting things in order and done well ahead, i want all this to be done right as im sure all you guys out there do too. so thanks in advance for your feedback.

Just to throw it in, i have a flat screen television that i bought here in the uk, im wondering if it will work in the US and have it shipped over? It has freeview built in, im curious if it would work, thanks alot :thumbs:

K-1 Journey - Please see our timeline

Got IL Drivers License: 7-18-09

New Job Started: 7-20-09

I-485

Sent: 5-20-09

Arrived: 5-25-09 (date on NOA1)

Cashed check: 6-2-09

NOA Date: 6-1-09

Touch: 6-3-09

Touch 6-5-09

Bio Apt Letter Received: 6-8-09 (letter dated 6-4-09)

Biometrics Apt: 6-19-09 @ 8:00AM DONE

Transfer Date: 6-19-09 to California Service Center

Touch: 6-22-09

Touch: 6-25-09

Touch: 8-17-09

Approval Date: 10-8-09 Card production & 10-14-09

Green Card Received: 10-17-09

EAD

Touch: 6-5-09

Bio Apt Letter Received: 6-8-09 (letter dated 6-4-09)

Biometrics Apt: 6-19-09 @ 8:00AM DONE

Touch: 6-22-09 (received and pending)

Card Production Ordered: 7-7-09

Touch: 7-8-09

Received Card in Mail: 7-10-09

AP

Touch: 6-5-09

Approval Date: 6-30-09

Uscis says we were approved 6-30-09 but nothing was updated until 7-2-09 and i didnt receive any email until 7-2-09 from CRIS

Received in Mail : 7-6-09

File I-751: 7/2011

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Some answers I do not know, but will try and help you out.

1. It takes about 40 days to get the Police cert. in. I got mine in about 8 months before the interview date... all was ok.

2. You need to go to the town (in which you where born) and visit the Births, deaths and Marriages office, will take 30 mins or so to get a certified true copy for a small fee, or you may be able to order a copy online.

3. I got the Docs surgery to print out a letter stating what vaccines I had had (got relevant shots few weeks before medical)

4. Can't tell you about this, I have heard it is usually on separate days now.

Hope some of this helps you, I am basically telling you my experience. lol

Good luck and hope you don't wait too long for your interview/medical dates etc.

Jo & Michael

K1

29th Jun 03 - Applied for I-129f

12th Jan 05 - Interview at Embassy

AOS

20th Apr 05 - Mailed AOS and paperwork to Chicago.

27th Oct 05 - Received Green Card in Mail (2 yr Conditional)

I-751

24th Jul 07 - Mailed I-751 to TSC

27th Jul 07 - I-751 Received at TSC (Transferred to CSC)

17th Aug 07 - Check Cleared

20th Aug 07 - NOA received (2 NOA's both with dif. receipt #'s for the same thing hmmm..)

30th Aug 07 - ACS Biometrics letters received

21st Sep 07 - Biometrics appointment at Charlotte

1st Nov 07 - Case status online reads "Card production ordered"

3rd Nov 07 - Greencard received in mail

Hey all, hope all is going good. I just have a few questions about differant categories, any help and advice will be much appreciated.

So we received our NOA1 a few weeks ago and im aware of the long wait for the NOA2. I want to get my things together in advance, what i need to get together and get organised. so i have a few random questions i could do with answering.

1. Can i send off for my police certificate now? or do i have to wait nearer to the interview time or until we receive our NOA2?

2. My birth certificate is a small piece of paper without my parents names on it, i dont think that will do, i have read of a long'birth certificate and im assuming mine isnt that. where do i obtain a long birth certificate from?

3. I will be obtaining a copy of my injections i have had, this will only be a photocopy, thats what the doctor said anyway, will this be ok? maybe if i get the photocopy stamped or signed by the doctor/nurse?

4. THE MEDICAL, will the medical and interview be done on the same day? what is the best way to go about it? What is the cost at the London medical center?

Theres a few of many questions i have but i want to be getting things in order and done well ahead, i want all this to be done right as im sure all you guys out there do too. so thanks in advance for your feedback.

Just to throw it in, i have a flat screen television that i bought here in the uk, im wondering if it will work in the US and have it shipped over? It has freeview built in, im curious if it would work, thanks alot :thumbs:

You should definitely apply for the APCO police certificate right now. It should only take around 5-10 days, but I would prepare everything just in case. The old certificates took longer by the way...now they are using a new form which is must faster. By the way, you have to have police certificates from every country where you have lived for more than 6 months. This can take a massive amount of time. We had to wait two months for a cert from Bolivia.

Definitely need a long form birth cert. I was born in the US...not sure where you get one in the UK.

Not sure about the injections. My wife had no records, so she had to get them again.

You cannot schedule the medical until you get your number, which comes in Packet 3. With that number you make your own medical appointment. The results take 4-5 days to get to the embassy, so if you are rushing to get your visa, you should schedule your medical a week or two before your interview date. Many do it on the same day in order to minimize trips to London, but that will push back your visa delivery approximately 4-5 days.

Definitely get all of your documents together before you get the Packet 3. That way, you can immediately return the Checklist and begin another wait for Packet 4, your interview date notice! Depending on the type of visa you are applying for, you should probably go ahead and prepare an affidavit of support and a few bills showing your US citizen spouse maintains residence in the US. That's all I can think of at the moment!! :)

DCF London

2007-08-09 Married

2008-02-15 (Day 1) Filed I-130 for CR-1

2008-02-20 (Day 6) Received RFE

2008-02-21 (Day 7) Returned RFE

2008-02-26 (Day 12) Credit card charged $355

2008-05-15 (Day 92) Received RFE

2008-05-16 (Day 93) Returned RFE

2008-06-11 (Day 119) Received RFE in the form of face-to-face interview on 17 June.

2008-06-17 (Day 125) RFE interview

2008-06-23 (Day 131) Received Packet 3

2008-06-24 (Day 132) Returned Checklist, DS-230

2008-07-03 (Day 141) Received Packet 4

2008-07-09 (Day 147) Medical (approved)

2008-07-18 (Day 158) Interview (approved)

2008-07-22 (Day 162) Passport and visa in hand

2008-07-25 (Day 165) POE - Atlanta, GA

ROC

2010-05-25 (Day 1) Mailed off I-751, check, and evidence to VSC

2010-06-07 (Day 15) Received NOA1, dated 2010-05-27

2010-07-30 (Day 66) Received Bio Appt letter, scheduled for 2010-08-16; will be out of town

2010-07-30 (Day 66) Mailed off request for new appointment date

2011-05-23 (Day 363) Biometrics appointment

2011-07-11 (Day 412) Conditions Removed

N-400

2012-10-23 (Day 1) Mailed N-400 Application (PHX)

2012-12-06 (Day 44) Biometrics appointment (PHX)

2013-01-29 (Day 98) Interview (approved)

1. I would wait a couple more months before you send off for your police certificate. It only takes a couple of weeks max to get it, and lasts for either 6 months or 12 (I can't remember which but if 6, you def should wait).

2. Long form birth certificate - call up your registrar's office (usually located in your town hall) - you can look them up online. I just got mine. Was able to order and pay over the phoen and pick it up the next day.

3. I got a print out of my vaccinations and got this stamped and signed at the doc surgery reception. Should be fine.

4. You should have the medical preferably at least a few days before the visa interview. You will get information about booking this weeks before you hear about your interview date so I would just go ahead and book it when you get the info for like the next week or something. (Mine is Friday :-).) Costs £180 medical. Plus any costs for vaccinations you need.

No idea about the TV I'm afraid! Good luck with everything!

Hey skparker,

Others have answered just about all questions you’ve had apart from cost of medical in London. The current fees are £181. And that's if you don't need any jabs. If you need any, try to get them from your GP as some of them are free.

Btw, my police certificate arrived in 2 days. It's valid for a year so I should be OK ;)

Sorry, but I haven't got a clue about your plasma TV. Personally I'd be worried it'll blow up considering different voltage and to be honest I'd hate to have to ship the thing but then I'm a minimalist :). Ultimately, your call.

Good luck on your visa journey.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

AOS timeline

I-485,I-765 & I-131 sent: 07-27-2009

Arrived at Chicago lockbox: 07-29-2009

NOA (for all 3): 08-03-2009

Transfer to CSC: 08-26-2009

Touched I-485: 09-01, 02, 03 & 04-2009

Biometrics appointment: 09-02-2009

AP received: 09-18-2009

EAD card received: 09-21-2009

AOS approved: 10-15-2009

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

fed8ac68ff.png

Good for a year. Need photos to send in with it so read the instructions. http://www.acpo.police.uk/certificates.asp

Only takes a few days to get it. Don't pay for expedite.

You need a new one. Birth certificates info. http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

Get it signed by the doctor or nurse. Here's what you will need. Note most are not age appropriate probably for you. Most need MMR and Tdap. You don't have to have every shot to get the visa, but nice to have out of the way. http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new/visa/...ccinechart.html

You schedule your own medical to suit yourself. If it's a long trip to London, maybe the medical one day and spend night and do interview the next. If possible, get medical early so your results are already at the Embassy when you go interview and they can tell you your approved on the spot. You do not have to have a medical before you schedule your interview. The checklist form asks for date of medical, but it's not a requirement to have it done before. Medical info. Knightsbridge Bentnick Mansion is the only location now, not the other listed.

http://www.visamedicals.info/us-examination.asp Clickl the green links for prices, etc.

Your TV will not work. It's a different system. Sell it to a friend.

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

By the way, you have to have police certificates from every country where you have lived for more than 6 months.

Just to add -- this is not correct. You need to have a police certificate from every country where you have lived for 12 months or more, unless it is the country of your birth, in which case it is 6 months or more. My husband was not required to furnish police certificates for Russia or Germany, even though he had lived in both countries for more than 6 months but under 12 months. The CO at the interview noted this as well.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

The TV might not work due to the voltage differences. Plus aren't the TV's in the UK PAL? The US uses NTSC. The freeview won't work anyway as it's specific to the UK. I asked about using a digital radio from the UK abroad and was told it wouldn't work for the same reasons.

It's better just to sell it and buy one in the US. Will probably be cheaper than shipping it aswell.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Get it signed by the doctor or nurse. Here's what you will need. Note most are not age appropriate probably for you. Most need MMR and Tdap. You don't have to have every shot to get the visa, but nice to have out of the way. http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new/visa/...ccinechart.html

Just a piece of advice here: Nich is right, in that most of the vaccines on the requirement chart are not age appropriate for us K1 folks. She's also correct in stating that the two that you will need, are MMR and Tdap. Do yourself a favour and tell Knightsbridge to bog off if they offer to administer these injections, because they'll charge you 30-quid-a-pop. I walked into my local surgery, and got them done for free on the good 'ol NHS.

Edited by Damian P

Naturalization Timeline:

Event

Service Center : Phoenix AZ Lockbox

CIS Office : Saint Louis MO

Date Filed : 2014-06-11

NOA Date : 2014-06-16

Bio. Appt. :

Interview Date :

Approved :

Oath Ceremony :

Comments :

Some answers I do not know, but will try and help you out.

1. It takes about 40 days to get the Police cert. in. I got mine in about 8 months before the interview date... all was ok.

2. You need to go to the town (in which you where born) and visit the Births, deaths and Marriages office, will take 30 mins or so to get a certified true copy for a small fee, or you may be able to order a copy online.

3. I got the Docs surgery to print out a letter stating what vaccines I had had (got relevant shots few weeks before medical)

4. Can't tell you about this, I have heard it is usually on separate days now.

Hope some of this helps you, I am basically telling you my experience. lol

Good luck and hope you don't wait too long for your interview/medical dates etc.

the offical stance on the police certificate is that it gets to you within 10 days, mine got to me in 9 working days.

as for myvaccinations, i ended up taking the copy i was sent from child healthdepartment. the nurse and doctor are look at it. both photocopies or print outs i had were printed on company letter head, (doctors surgery and child health.) though signed like a letter, thats it, and had no problems. i deffered my vaccines at medical so i didnt have to pay so much. will be getting the missing ones from the docotrs before i leave.

medical alone cost me £180. they suggest you get it done before interview to save time because it takes a couple of days to process your blood, and results ect and send to embassy. all vaccinations you choose to do at the medical are extra.

Homer Sez:

Increase your wordiness,

Boudoir:

Where a French guy does it.

Our full time line is in our story on our profile.

K1

04-30-2008.......I-129F POSTED

05-01-2008....NOA1 (Touched 05-04-2008, Touched 04-07-2008)

09-23-2008....NOA2 Approved(See below for receipt of actual NOA2 and update in the USCIS System***)

01-13-2009....INTERVIEW (APPROVED)

02-18-2009....POE (LAX)

04-09-2009....WEDDING

AOS

06-12-2009.....AOS,EAD and AP Fedexed.

06-15-2009.....Signed for by J.CHYBA

06-18-2009.....NOA1 dated for AOS/AP/EAD

06-19-2009.....Check cleared

06-23-2009.....Touched AOS/EAD/AP

07-20-2009.....phoned helpline to report no biometrics appointment sent, Service request generated.

07-25-2009.....Recieved biometrics notice (generated on the 22nd june) for the 08-19-2009.

07-30-2009.....Did early walk in biometrics.

07-31-2009.....Touched AOS/EAD

08-06-2009.....Generated interview notice(received 08/10/09)

08-10-2009.....EAD/AP Approved

08-19-2009.....***NOA2 (Finally received after 6 Phone calls, 11 months late) :)

09-09-2009.....Aos interview.(APPROVED)first card production email

09-12-2009.....Welcome Notice Received.

event.png

rmq4qx3kup.png

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I went all through this recently, the embassy DO NOT except police access statements anymore, you have to apply for the new police certificate, Its a new department in the police force dealing solely with immigration police certs. It cost £35 p0unds (10 day service) or £70 for a 2 day service. It`s very quick, I sent application on wednesday at 3pm and i had certificate saturday morning 9 am Wow fast!! you need to look on the ACPO website. you should order it, it last for a year. your medical and your interview will be on seperate days. when the embassy write to you with an appointment time they will give advice about booking your medical its very simple to follow, the medical cost £180.00. Not cheap it also includes an aids test, best of luck

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

the power in america runs differently to the uk. they run on 110v we run on 230/240v. unless your tv says it can run on 110v then it won't work, it's pretty unlikely that it would run on both but you can check on the back, it'll probably say somewhere. to solve this you can't just get a converter plug like you can for europe, it is totally different. i know you can get a transformer that converts the voltage but i don't think it'd be worth it, they're pretty big and expensive. american tv is also ntsc whereas europe uses pal, your tv may be able to display both, you'd have to read the manual on that one. i'm not sure about the freeview either.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Hi, I was following this thread when this stuck out at me:

Am I reading this correctly? Some of the required injections are not age appropriate my lovely fiance will not be required to obtain?

Thanks in meantime-

While Cow

Yes, if you study the chart, most are for children and babies. When you first read the list of immunizations you panic, but then realize there's not so many that are age appropriate.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.