reeses16

AOS: Varicella Vaccine & SSN

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

Hi! We got married last week and just sent off the AOS, EAD, AP package (Sat) and applied for Teddy's SSN. We had a few issues come up and I thought I would share in case they were helpful to anyone else.

(1) Vaccines-: Immigration/Consulate etc. did not let Teddy keep his records (plus he wasn't sure if he had the necessary vaccines- Td (tetnus), varicella (chicken pox), and MMR (Mumps, Measles, Rubella)). On July 3rd we went to the health unit in St. Tammany Parish Louisiana (they only charge $10 total no matter how many vaccines your receivce)to get all 3 shots. The health unit would not give the varicella vaccine to people over 18, I was told to go to a private Dr. I called 6 different ones, the all said they did not have the varicella vaccine . Sounds crazy. Because the next day was the 4th, we couldn't do anything. On the 5th we went to the Acension Parish Health Unit...same story, not for people over 18. Then the lady told me that he couldn't get it anyway, because the varricella and MMR shots have to be given on the same day or 1 month apart. Shoot! The lady said that getting them too close together could make them ineffective because they are both live vaccines. I don't understand, but guess it has to do with immune response. Anyway, we called the CS, I knew they had the varicella for $95 but we were trying to save money by going to the health unit, I explained that my husband had his MMR & Td on 7/3 and asked if he could get the varicella on 7/5. They said sure. We were very clear to explain the dates etc. to both the check-in nurse, the doctor (CS). The CS said that as long as he did not have a fever they could still give him the vaccine.

(2) SSN: We went to get Teddy's SSN today at the SSA in Covington, Louisiana. The lady there said that she couldn't check to see if he was in the SAVE system. She said that the immigration system had changed a lot over the last 3 months and it was no longer possible to verify if someone was already entered into the system. I asked her a few other questions. She also told me that they no longer do manual verfications as indicated on the VJ ssn guide, she said its all done electronically with USCIS. She looked at my husbands passport and in coverstation said that her ex- husband was from Africa too. And she told me he came on a K3. So I think she probably knew what she was talking about working for SSA and having gone through the process personally. I hope, But who knows! I just wanted to give a heads up to those about to go through the process and to see if anyone else has been told something similar.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Yeah-we are scrambling to get the vaccination record straight as well.

We went to a Cs in Columbus, GA. He had the vaccine; but we were told it would be 2 shots for varicella, at $100 each. They suggested we go get a blood test ($67) to see if my wife actually needed the shots. Luckily, she didn't; so we saved a bunch.

If you are in doubt about your spouses records--check to see if the blood titre would be cheaper than just blindly getting vaccinated.

BTW-the health department here charged $25 each for MMR and TD

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Hi! We got married last week and just sent off the AOS, EAD, AP package (Sat) and applied for Teddy's SSN. We had a few issues come up and I thought I would share in case they were helpful to anyone else.

(2) SSN: We went to get Teddy's SSN today at the SSA in Covington, Louisiana. The lady there said that she couldn't check to see if he was in the SAVE system. She said that the immigration system had changed a lot over the last 3 months and it was no longer possible to verify if someone was already entered into the system. I asked her a few other questions. She also told me that they no longer do manual verfications as indicated on the VJ ssn guide, she said its all done electronically with USCIS. She looked at my husbands passport and in coverstation said that her ex- husband was from Africa too. And she told me he came on a K3. So I think she probably knew what she was talking about working for SSA and having gone through the process personally. I hope, But who knows! I just wanted to give a heads up to those about to go through the process and to see if anyone else has been told something similar.

Did you end up getting your SSN? What did you have to do to get it? I am assuming everyone across the US will run into this, not just in Louisiana? So how long did you wait after your other half arrived into the US to go the SSN and how did you finally get it?

Also, does anyone know how to translate the Said Vaccines into Russian? Would be nice to give to my bride to be so she can just hand it to her doctor.

Thanks,

T.

Personal Timeline

Service Center : Texas Service Center

Consulate : Ukraine

2007-01-08 I-129F Sent

2007-01-15 Check Cashed

2007-01-17 NOA1 Received

2007-01-19 Touched

2007-01-19 Wedding Dress Purchased :)

2007-04-19 TOUCHED!

2007-04-19 NOA2 Approval Email!

2007-04-20 TOUCHED!

2007-04-27 NOA2 Received via Snail Mail!

2007-05-07 NVC Received Packet

2007-05-09 NVC Sent Packet to Kiev

2007-05-29 Kiev Receives Packet

2007-05-30 I called Kiev and scheduled Interview

2007-05-30 Interview date of July 16th Given!

2007-06-05 Purchased plane tickets for Interview

2007-07-16 Interview Day! Approved!

2007-08-04 I arrived in Kyiv

2007-08-06 Anya and I leave Kyiv for USA

2007-08-06 Arrive in USA and pass customs!

2007-08-10 Wedding date scheduled for Sept. 1

2007-08-20 Application for Social Security.

2007-08-27 Received Social Security Card.

2007-09-01 Married! :)

The reason they don't give out the varicella vaccine so easily is because it can have serious side effects in adults (very very rare) like adult autism, so said my dr. That's why she didn't give my husband the vaccine, instead she did a blood test, that proved he had chickenpox (Varicella) as a kid and was immune and didn't need a vaccine. Most kids have chickenpox when they are little, so I'd recommend the blood test instead of vaccinating for something that you may already be immune to. You can take this blood test result to the civil surgeon and he'll write it in the I-693a with no problem. You can also test for immunity for MMR also.

I'm not sure how your insurance works, but as long as I went to my primary care doctor, ours were covered 100%.

12140.gif

Different state, different story...........I just got my SSN in Michigan (see my timeline below) less than two weeks ago! The only "confusion was that I was already married and the nice man at the window wasn't sure how to "type it in" so that it would be checked in the SAVE database....since I entered in my maiden name and now was applying in a different name (married name).

He simply asked a co-worker, who told him "it's easy you just put in.......(didn't hear what she told him to do)....and he did that, watched his screen a moment, then said......."hmm, I guess that worked then".

We left the SS office with a receipt for my card which came in just 4 days!

Sent forms to attorney 10-12-06

NOA1...........................11-17-06

NOA2............................2-15-07

NVC rcv'd......................2-22-07

NVC sent 2 embassy.......2-23-07

Rcv'd Packet 3................3-2-07

Packet 3 sent..................3-9-07

Medical scheduled............3-29-07

Interview-Approved.........4-19-07

Flight to USA....................5-26-07

Wedding..........................5-30-07

AOS Journey

Applied for SSN in married name .........6-27-07

Mailed AOS, EAD and AP to Chicago......6-29-07

SSN received (Wow! that was quick!).....7-3-07

NOA1 for AOS and AP ..........................7-16-07 (EAD amount wrong...oops, added $70 extra for biometrics

Checks cashed for AOS and AP.............7-19-07

Passed Michigan Driver's Test................7-31-07

Biometrics for AOS ..............................8-01-07

AP approved........................................8-09-07 (Day 24)

AOS Interview......................................10-25-07 (APPROVED)

Card production ordered.......................10-30-07

GC rec'd..............................................11-5-07 (w/effective date 10-25-07

Removing Conditions

Mailed pkg........................................9-10-09

NOA .................................................9-14-09

Biometrics.........................................10-23-09

Card Production Ordered (At Last!!).01-13-10

Timeline

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm glad your card came so quickly.

Different state, different story...........I just got my SSN in Michigan (see my timeline below) less than two weeks ago! The only "confusion was that I was already married and the nice man at the window wasn't sure how to "type it in" so that it would be checked in the SAVE database....since I entered in my maiden name and now was applying in a different name (married name).

He simply asked a co-worker, who told him "it's easy you just put in.......(didn't hear what she told him to do)....and he did that, watched his screen a moment, then said......."hmm, I guess that worked then".

We left the SS office with a receipt for my card which came in just 4 days!

Timeline

Bcartr,

I have a SSN update. We applied on 7/9, after my husband had been here for 9 days. At the time of application we got a reciept which stated,"Before we can issue you a Social Security number card, we must verify the document(s) you gave us to show your citizenship or alien status with the Federal, State, or local office in the United States that issued the document(s). This may take up to 12 weeks." On 7/14, we received a letter in the mail that said he should receive his card in 2 weeks.

We had the same thing maybe michigan is working better for some reason, its probably because everyone is leaving the state and getting registered elsewhere so we have less people now. My wife got her SSC in her maiden name since the Russian gov't is weird when it comes to name changes and passports etc. You can always get the card changed later.

Thom n Elena

Arrived Grand Rapids 12/13/06

Finally Home

Married 12/28/06 Husband and Wife finally

AOS

Card Received 7/23/07

Aleksandr arrives 8/29/07 7 lbs 19in

ROC

Filed April 21, Received NOA May 5,2009

Biometrics 7/7/2009

Biometrics Cancelled 6/29/09

Reschedule 7/22/09

Biometrics complete only 2 people in office wifey done in 15 min

Letter received New LPR Card in 60 days WOOHOO!!!!

LPR Card Received

Timeline

Social Secuirty Update

Looks like the lady at SSA was right! We got his SSCard today, it does say something to the effect of "Not authorized to work without DHS approval", so we'll make one more trip down to SSA once he gets his GC. Timeline below.

7/09- Applied for SSN (given reciept stating it may take 12 weeks to verify him with immigration)- (Day 1)

7/14- Letter from SSA stating that we should recieve his SScard by mail within 2 weeks- (Day 6)

7/20- SSCard recieved!!!- (Day 12)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

This part is interesting. I wasn't "found" in their system last week when I went to get my SSN (using my EAD). She told me it could take up to 4 weeks for verification from USCIS but a few days later I got a letter saying my SSN would be sent to me within 2 weeks. If it's true that they don't do manual snail mail verifications and do it all electronically that certainly would speed things up!

K3 Timeline - 2006-11-20 to 2007-03-19

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

2007-04-16: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago (My AOS/EAD checklist)

2007-04-17: Received at Chicago

2007-04-23: NOA1 date (both)

2007-05-10: Biometrics appointment (both - Biometrics review)

2007-06-05: AOS interview letter date

2007-06-13: AOS interview letter received in mail

2007-07-03: EAD card production ordered

2007-07-07: EAD card received! (yay!)

2007-08-23: AOS interview (Documents / Interview review)

2007-08-23: Green card production ordered!!!

2007-08-24: Welcome notice mailed!

2007-08-27: Green card production ordered again... ?

2007-08-28: Welcome notice received!

2007-09-01: Green card received!

Done with USCIS until May 23, 2009!

Timeline

Great! I'm glad yours came sooner than you expected. I knew we were taking a risk since, he hadn't been in the US for 2 weeks, but it all worked out.

I guess we're all applying an an "interesting time." Our K1/K3's and AOS went through the "old system." I wonder if our Lifting of Conditions under the reformed system will be any easier. Lets hope its worth, these fee increases. I said hope. Lol

This part is interesting. I wasn't "found" in their system last week when I went to get my SSN (using my EAD). She told me it could take up to 4 weeks for verification from USCIS but a few days later I got a letter saying my SSN would be sent to me within 2 weeks. If it's true that they don't do manual snail mail verifications and do it all electronically that certainly would speed things up!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

we've had a real problem with getting my husband his SSN. we got married end of february and promptly filed our paperwork. he got his EAD early June, went 6/4 to SSN to apply for SSN card. friends/VJ seemed to say it would come in under 2wks. he was told up to three weeks. three weeks later, no card. he went back to SSN office and they assured him nothing was missing, be patient, it'll come. I called a few days later and was told that it can take up to 45days, ESPECIALLY for someone not from US, etc etc. wait another week. we went to our interview on 7/11 and were approved. the officer was surprised that my husband did not have his SSN yet and suggested we call and inform them that he was now a legal resident. which we did and were again told we had to wait but that nothing was missing/wrong from what they could tell. call back in a week. last week i called again because still no SSN card. again, nothing wrong, it can take this long, yes- even if he is now a legal resident blah blah blah.

so i scheduled an appointment. which we had on friday- 46 days after my husband applied for his SSN. turns out that even though USCIS says my husband has cleared FBI name checks and is a legal resident (i had verified this on their website prior to going), DHS had not technically cleared him. and until that happens, the SS office computer system cannot and will not create a SSN for my husband. the woman had no idea why DHS hadn't cleared my husband yet and the woman who has the authority to physically talk with someone at DHS to determine what the specific problem is is on vacation until next week. we're allowed to call back next friday (which will be 54days after applying for the darn thing) to see if the situation is fixed.

so still no friggin SSN.

Timeline

Perunyc,

I'm sorry y'all have had so many problems getting your husband's SSCard. I had no idea that DHS had to clear him first. Its seems like people's experiences vary a lot when it comes to SSCards.

Are you in a catch 22? Could he work on his EAD w/o the SSN? What about with the GC without a SSN?

we've had a real problem with getting my husband his SSN. we got married end of february and promptly filed our paperwork. he got his EAD early June, went 6/4 to SSN to apply for SSN card. friends/VJ seemed to say it would come in under 2wks. he was told up to three weeks. three weeks later, no card. he went back to SSN office and they assured him nothing was missing, be patient, it'll come. I called a few days later and was told that it can take up to 45days, ESPECIALLY for someone not from US, etc etc. wait another week. we went to our interview on 7/11 and were approved. the officer was surprised that my husband did not have his SSN yet and suggested we call and inform them that he was now a legal resident. which we did and were again told we had to wait but that nothing was missing/wrong from what they could tell. call back in a week. last week i called again because still no SSN card. again, nothing wrong, it can take this long, yes- even if he is now a legal resident blah blah blah.

so i scheduled an appointment. which we had on friday- 46 days after my husband applied for his SSN. turns out that even though USCIS says my husband has cleared FBI name checks and is a legal resident (i had verified this on their website prior to going), DHS had not technically cleared him. and until that happens, the SS office computer system cannot and will not create a SSN for my husband. the woman had no idea why DHS hadn't cleared my husband yet and the woman who has the authority to physically talk with someone at DHS to determine what the specific problem is is on vacation until next week. we're allowed to call back next friday (which will be 54days after applying for the darn thing) to see if the situation is fixed.

so still no friggin SSN.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

perunyc, that really sucks. I hope they get it cleared up soon.

K3 Timeline - 2006-11-20 to 2007-03-19

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

2007-04-16: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago (My AOS/EAD checklist)

2007-04-17: Received at Chicago

2007-04-23: NOA1 date (both)

2007-05-10: Biometrics appointment (both - Biometrics review)

2007-06-05: AOS interview letter date

2007-06-13: AOS interview letter received in mail

2007-07-03: EAD card production ordered

2007-07-07: EAD card received! (yay!)

2007-08-23: AOS interview (Documents / Interview review)

2007-08-23: Green card production ordered!!!

2007-08-24: Welcome notice mailed!

2007-08-27: Green card production ordered again... ?

2007-08-28: Welcome notice received!

2007-09-01: Green card received!

Done with USCIS until May 23, 2009!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

don't know what other people's experiences have been regarding job applications with EAD prior to getting SSN. he got a job and has only been waiting on SSN to be put on payroll. his boss seemed to want to wait to be able to officially put him on payroll prior to his starting. seems that this is pretty standard. however, his boss knows me and i've explained the situation and he's going to let him start working this week. the fact that his office is in the "frozen zone" area of nyc and he's fallen behind on business i think helped my husband start earlier!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.