Angelus

Immigration lawyers

16 posts in this topic

hi angelus,

most here will tell you if you have a straightforward case to just go ahead and do the paperwork yourself. it isn't difficult, just take your time and be thorough. i had an attorney for our k-1 and he was a complete waste of skin. i'm doing the aos on my own and thus far it's fine. either way best of luck to you.

ROC Timeline

18 NOV 2010 Sent 1.8lb packet to USCIS in Laguna Niguel (day 1)

19 NOV 2010 Package signed for V SEMEGI (day 2)

24 NOV 2010 Package returned because USC didn't sign petition (day 6)

calendar reset

26 NOV 2010 Package sent out again (day 1)

29 NOV 2010 Package signed for by V SEMEGI (day 3)

29 NOV 2010 NOA1 issued (day 3)

03 DEC 2010 Hardcopy of NOA received (day 7)

07 JAN 2011 Successful walk in biometrics (day 42) original date 1 FEB

01 MAR 2011 Date on Approval notice (although it arrived after the card did) (day 94)

03 MAR 2011 Card received (day 96)

I recently spoke with a lawfirm that has a link on this site. I was wondering if anyone had used the Allan Lolly firm and if anyone had any opinions about their services

Absolutely agree with the previous poster, unless you have extenuating circumstances you're better off doing it yourself. It seems ridiculously overwhelming when you first start looking at the process and paperwork required, but it really isn't that bad. You have to step back and take it one item at a time. Make a check list of everything you need to do and to gather. Check it off as you go. I can send you my checklist as a guide if that would help you out. You can do it!

Char

s41029cb120113_1_0.jpg

Filed: Timeline
Yeah, We wasted $2500.00 on getting a lwayer to prepare and file the K1 petition and follow up and help us with any questions. Guess what, he probably has no idea that its over and done with. If you have a case that is not complicated, do it yourself - You'll handle it much better than most lawyers will and even know more than they do. All the best.

Filed: Other Timeline

Oh jeez.

Not again.

Welcome to VisaJourney!

Our goal is to educate and provide general information regarding family and marriage based immigration (K1, K3, IR-1 Visas, DCF, etc) for a spouse, fiance, parent(s) or other close relatives to reunite and bring together families. If you are new to the site please take a look at some of our site's great features such as the Guides, FAQ's, Forums, Gallery, Example Forms and more. We provide a great array of information useful in filing your I-129f, I-130, I-134, I-485 and other USCIS and immigration forms. We encourage all members to seek a qualified immigration attorney as this site is no substitute for the valuable help and advice a good attorney can provide!

Oh jeez.

Not again.

Welcome to VisaJourney!

Our goal is to educate and provide general information regarding family and marriage based immigration (K1, K3, IR-1 Visas, DCF, etc) for a spouse, fiance, parent(s) or other close relatives to reunite and bring together families. If you are new to the site please take a look at some of our site's great features such as the Guides, FAQ's, Forums, Gallery, Example Forms and more. We provide a great array of information useful in filing your I-129f, I-130, I-134, I-485 and other USCIS and immigration forms. We encourage all members to seek a qualified immigration attorney as this site is no substitute for the valuable help and advice a good attorney can provide!

Have you even read all the posts of people who have hired attorney's (immigration attorney's with experience, at that) and found out they spent thousands of dollars on a process the attorney was ill informed on and couldn't answer questions for? If you don't mind throwing away your hard earned money, then by all means, go for it. Those that can read instructions and ask and follow through with others self-tested advice really have no need to do so. There is nothing an attorney can do for your case that you yourself cannot do with a little time and patience (and it seems most attorney's do nothing more than assemble the package after you take the time to complete and submit the documentation required...you wasted 5k for that, why?), assuming you have a typical case that doesn't require special attention. This process is not that complicated that most would need a lawyer for...as the majority of the people on this site can attest to. There was a reason this site was built...to show others it can be done.

s41029cb120113_1_0.jpg

I think you'll be fine doing it alone if you have an easy case. It will need some time to figure out what forms are needed and what to state on them. But thanks to VJ, its members, and a lot of great guides online it is possible to manage that yourself. We did it, and didn't have much trouble so far.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
I think you'll be fine doing it alone if you have an easy case. It will need some time to figure out what forms are needed and what to state on them. But thanks to VJ, its members, and a lot of great guides online it is possible to manage that yourself. We did it, and didn't have much trouble so far.

Lawyers are waste of $!

Approved on 01/12/2009

"No mountain is too tall to climb.....if your first step is belief".-Anonymous

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
I recently spoke with a lawfirm that has a link on this site. I was wondering if anyone had used the Allan Lolly firm and if anyone had any opinions about their services

Go for it. Expect your case to be delayed by months, and spend alot of money. I used them, and to be honest, it was probably the worst decision of my life. They will delay your case. Not an opinion. It's a fact. They don't return phone calls or emails. But they will cash your check.

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Bangkok, Thailand

Marriage : 2006-11-08

I-130 Sent : 2008-02-22

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-03-10

I-129F Sent : 2008-04-08

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-04-14

I-129F touched: 2008-05-06

I-130 touched: 2008-05-09

I-129F approved 2008-09-05

I-130 approved 2008-09-05

NVC received 2008-09-12

Pay I-864 2008-10-08

Pay IV bill 2008-10-08

Receive Instruction 2008-11-05

Case Complete 2008-11-18

Medical 2009-01-19/20 passed

Receive Pkt 4 2009-01-30

Interview 221g 2009-02-23

Second interview 2009-03-02 Approved

POE DFW 2009-03-07

Received SS card 2009-03-17

Received GC 2009-04-01

Done for 3 years or 10 years. Haven't decided yet.

(I'm going for the IR-1 and blowing off the K-3. Even if it takes an extra couple months, it's worth it to not have to deal with USCIS again)

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Note:

Please fill out I-130, wait 6 months for approval, then 3 more months for an interview. (Unless of course we've bombed your country into the stone age, then you qualify for expedited processing.)

Welcome to the USA!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
Oh jeez.

Not again.

Welcome to VisaJourney!

Our goal is to educate and provide general information regarding family and marriage based immigration (K1, K3, IR-1 Visas, DCF, etc) for a spouse, fiance, parent(s) or other close relatives to reunite and bring together families. If you are new to the site please take a look at some of our site's great features such as the Guides, FAQ's, Forums, Gallery, Example Forms and more. We provide a great array of information useful in filing your I-129f, I-130, I-134, I-485 and other USCIS and immigration forms. We encourage all members to seek a qualified immigration attorney as this site is no substitute for the valuable help and advice a good attorney can provide! also, we will sit on your documents and delay your case. We will also tell you to make checks out to the wrong agency. You have no re-course.Once you sign the G-28, you are stuck with our firm. So if we decide to ignore you, you have no re-course.

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Bangkok, Thailand

Marriage : 2006-11-08

I-130 Sent : 2008-02-22

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-03-10

I-129F Sent : 2008-04-08

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-04-14

I-129F touched: 2008-05-06

I-130 touched: 2008-05-09

I-129F approved 2008-09-05

I-130 approved 2008-09-05

NVC received 2008-09-12

Pay I-864 2008-10-08

Pay IV bill 2008-10-08

Receive Instruction 2008-11-05

Case Complete 2008-11-18

Medical 2009-01-19/20 passed

Receive Pkt 4 2009-01-30

Interview 221g 2009-02-23

Second interview 2009-03-02 Approved

POE DFW 2009-03-07

Received SS card 2009-03-17

Received GC 2009-04-01

Done for 3 years or 10 years. Haven't decided yet.

(I'm going for the IR-1 and blowing off the K-3. Even if it takes an extra couple months, it's worth it to not have to deal with USCIS again)

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Note:

Please fill out I-130, wait 6 months for approval, then 3 more months for an interview. (Unless of course we've bombed your country into the stone age, then you qualify for expedited processing.)

Welcome to the USA!!!

• 1 year later...
Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

personal opinion of them is not worth it.

I had discussions with them in past & they were more outdated then any other firms i have talked to.

telling me rudely co sponsor is not possible & never has been possible and a few other things.

notices this is a post from last year but i seen the firms name & have to give my 2bits.

Experience

Personal communications with them.

before answering any other questions to help me decide to go with them they were rude & also said if they were going to answer any questions or discuss any further then that they would have to charge me 150 for consultation.

and All I asked is about co sponsor possible & felony dropped to misdemeanor not related to drugs alcohol or another person matter...

GC in Hand since nov/dec11
Currently in Process of I-751 Waiting Period.

delivered 9-12-13 NOA Dated 9-12-13 w/amount received. Received 9-16-13

Biometrics Received 9-27-13 APP: 10-15-13 3pm.
House is Listed for Sale & Hopefully it will sell soon.

Having this site, I don't think you need to hire a lawyer. If i were you, just do it by yourself and post here if you have questions.

Visit My Website

Nothing Worth Having is Easy.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Only a couple of posters here have remotely addressed the OP's actual question. Post #9 (by daboyz) is specifically relevant, and the post by rebeccajo is generally relevant in countering the usual anti-attorney vitriol on VJ.

Increasingly, I believe that people who jump to post flat replies of "do it yourself -- you do not need a lawyer!" without knowing a questioner's circumstances, abilities, temperament, attention to detail, etc. are in effect offering legal advice of their own, which is arguably illegal on its face (practicing law without a license) or at least irresponsible, and perhaps in violation of the VisaJourney Terms of Service. Fortunately, most here have qualified their advice with such language as "if your case is not complicated..."

Yes, VisaJourney is an invaluable resource. Not all people are equipped to "do it themselves," or there are complications to their circumstances that only a good attorney is equipped to address. It is irresponsible to assume that all who come to VJ are automatically better off trying to navigate potentially complex waters on their own.

OP, you have a couple of answers about the law firm that you asked about. If that's enough for you to decide that your question has been answered, then you have your answer.

Edited by TBoneTX

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Oh jeez.

Not again.

Welcome to VisaJourney!

Have you even read all the posts of people who have hired attorney's (immigration attorney's with experience, at that) and found out they spent thousands of dollars on a process the attorney was ill informed on and couldn't answer questions for? If you don't mind throwing away your hard earned money, then by all means, go for it. Those that can read instructions and ask and follow through with others self-tested advice really have no need to do so. There is nothing an attorney can do for your case that you yourself cannot do with a little time and patience (and it seems most attorney's do nothing more than assemble the package after you take the time to complete and submit the documentation required...you wasted 5k for that, why?), assuming you have a typical case that doesn't require special attention. This process is not that complicated that most would need a lawyer for...as the majority of the people on this site can attest to. There was a reason this site was built...to show others it can be done.

I respectfully request you not to copy RJs posts. There is no point in ignoring her if someone else is going to copy what she copies and pastes.

To the OP. Have you downloaded an I-129f? A G-325a? Just for grins...give it a shot.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.