ACT1428

My Medical Exam Experience at St. Lukes (SLEC)

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I just passed my medical last Aug. 20, 2008 at SLEC and I would like to share my experience, based on my recollection of the events, and I hope it supplements the other VJ members' experience here as well as the several guides that have been posted for the benefit of our other VJ members who are about to undergo their medical exam.

First things first, my thanks to Sheriff Uling whose GUIDE was immensely helpful and to Sillygirl's instructional and informational layout and that of Rea's Flowcharts which proved to be very informative and effective with respect to the procedure and what to expect.

I am also attaching a map of SLEC with this post since I couldn't find one here in VisaJourney.

DAY 1

I brought the ff:

1. Passport

2. Confirmation Letter (Original and Photocopies) from the US Embassy

3. 3 pcs of 2x2 Pictures (I wrote my full name at the back)

4. Appointment Confirmation Email from the Visa Information Service

5. Photocopy of NOA2

6. Payment for Medical Fee

7. Cellphone and iPod (to help with the waiting period)

I arrived at 6:20AM at SLEC and there were already a lot of people. I presented the Original and photocopy of the Confirmation Letter from the US Embassy and my Passport to the Guard at the entrance. He stamped my Original Confirmation Letter and also stamped my hand and gave me several forms to fill up with the instructions to only fill up the items checked in red and I was also given a flowchart. I was then given a number. Considering that the Photo Room and counter for US Reception starts operations at 6AM, my number was 77 (like I mentioned earlier, there were a lot of people). I proceeded inside and filled up the forms with the necessary information requested. Make sure that before you proceed to SLEC, you have all the pertinent information necessary such as the Petitoner's Name, Address and Contact Number in the U.S.A., Port of Entry (US State where you plan to enter the United States), as well as that of your closest relatives in the U.S. (if applicable to your case). There were several people beside me filling up forms who either didn't know how to answer the questions or didn't have the necessary information at hand so they had to make calls in order to fill up the information requested in the forms. Based on my observation and on the questions that they asked me, most of them had problems in answering the part that said "A# (Case Number)". This is the case number that is assigned to you as stated in the Confirmation Letter of the US Embassy. In my case it was MNL2008xxxxxx. Also, there was confusion in answering the question "Prior Country". Several answered USA, but were corrected when they got to the U.S. Reception Counter since they never resided in the U.S. and this question refers to your prior country of residence (In case you have lived/resided in another country aside from your present country of Residence). If you have just lived/resided in the Philippines, then answer Philippines. Again, I would like to reiterate that if you have any doubts or questions, ask around specifically with the guards/ personnel who, based on my observation, were very helpful. After filling up the forms, I lined up at the Photo Room (Ground Floor) only to be informed by the guard that they will be calling out the set of numbers for those entering the Photo Room. They were processing Numbers 30-40. So all I could do was wait for my number to be called. It was at this pint when I noticed a heated exchange between a grandmother accompanying her 2 grandchildren and a staff member regarding the Original US Embassy Confirmation Letter. The Letter was missing and the staff member was telling the grandmother that she handed the Original Letter back to her grandchild. The grandmother was complaining that she never did since they could not find the letter in their possession. The staff member then told the grandmother to calm down and sit down and look for it and asked one of the guards to assist (they found it later on with the grandchild). Due to the allegations of the grandmother that the letter wasn't returned and was kept by the staff member, the staff member was visibly irked. I prayed and asked God that I wouldn't have to end up with that lady staff member. Well, when my number (Numbers 70-80) was called, I entered the Photo Room and after they took my picture, I lined up at the U.S. Reception Counter just outside the Photo Room. Lo and behold I ended up with the lady staff member I mentioned earlier. However, to her credit, she was extremely pleasant and accommodating. She asked me for my passport, 1 2x2 picture, original and photocopy of my Confirmation Letter from the US Embassy and asked if I had already scheduled an appointment. I informed her that I already have an appointment for September 2, 2008 and I handed over the Print-out of the Appointment Confirmation Email from the Visa Information Service. She then checked the forms I filled up and asked a few questions like "Are you married to the Petitioner?" I answered "No, not yet" And when she asked "Kung mabibigyan kayo ng Visa this September, kailan niyo po balak umalis?" I answered "September". She then smiled and said, 'Sir, di po kayo nagmamadali.(Translation: Sir, you don't seem to be in a hurry?)" I told her "Well, pag pinatagal ko pa, baka patayin na ako ni bossing (referring to my fiancee) (Translation: Well, if I prolong my departure, my boss will kill me) ." She smiled some more and then signed my Original Confirmation Letter, and handed that back along with my passport and the forms I filled up earlier and told me to proceed to the 5th Floor for Payment. I gave her my thanks and proceeded to the 5th floor. I kept the Original Confirmation Letter from the US Embassy by the way. Upon reaching the 5th floor, I lined up at the Cashier Counter. When it was my turn, I signed a few forms and paid Php 9,600.75. I was then informed to proceed to the 3rd Floor for X-Ray.

At the 3rd Floor, I gave my passport and forms at the counter and waited for my turn to be called. There was only one X-Ray Room available so the x-ray was done in batches. Women, then Men, then Women, then Men, and so on. So there were some women who gave their papers much later than I did who were X-Rayed ahead of me and some other men. Upon entering the X-Ray room, I was told to remove my shirt and the technician told me to take a deep breath to check if that was enough when . After doing that, he aligned me with my back to the machine and upon instructing me to take a deep breath like what he told me earlier, took my x-ray and I was finished with the x-ray portion of the exam. I was then instructed to proceed to the 4th Floor.

At the 4th Floor, I again gave my papers to the person manning the counter. After waiting, my name was called and I was again made to sign a consent form. I was told to wait again. After waiting, my name was called and I was given my passport, the forms I filled up at the ground floor, together with the consent form and a small sticker with a bar code (this sticker is going to be attached to the vial of blood they extract from you). After my name was called, along with several others, we then proceeded to the lab room and waited for our turn. They extracted blood and then my passport and forms were given back to me and I was instructed to proceed to US Reception Counter at the 5th Floor. I was not given a urine container and I was not made to provide a urine sample. I noticed that it was only women who were required to provide a urine sample.

I then proceeded back up to the 5th floor. Aside from the ground floor, this was where there were a lot of people since this part of the 5th Floor (the one opposite the Cashier Counter) is where the U.S. and Canda/New Zealand and Australia hold the physical exam. The U.S. Counter is on the right side of the area. I gave my papers to the person at the U.S. counter and was told to wait. After waiting, my name and several others were called to proceed to the Vital Signs area for my height and weight measurement (we were instructed to take our shoes off). After that, I was told to wait again. My name was called again and this time, my blood pressure was taken. I was then instructed to hand my passport and papers to the U.S. Counter again. I was then instructed to line up at the Eye Check Room. I was then given an eye exam for visual acuity. After that, I handed my papers back again to the U.S. counter and was given a number. This was where I waited the longest. There were 4 people queued in front of me. An elderly man, a kid and a man almost my age. I noticed that the physical exam

took almost 20 minutes per person with the elderly man taking 30 minutes at the very least. This made me apprehensive since I was operated on in 2001 to correct a congenital hernia, I have had a history of smoking cigarettes and I also remembered in other posts here in visajourney that the physical exam only took a few minutes. This area was extremely cold (and mind you, I grew up in Baguio) since the aircon vent was directly facing the waiting room for the Physical Exam. Good thing I just brought a jacket. When it was my turn, it was 11:45am already. Upon entering and greeting the doctor "Good Morning". I handed him my papers and I was instructed to sit. The first question he asked me was "What course did you finish? After answering him, he proceeded to ask me questions like "Have you taken marijuana or shabu?, Has a case been filed against you?, Have you ever contracted TB?" When he asked me if I had an operation, I answered "Yes, for an inguinal hernia operation in 2001" and I gave him my operation report, admitting history and discharge report from UST (a certified copy of which I obtained from UST). I was also asked for any tattoos or piercings. I also was asked if I consumed alcohol, I answered "During social events like birthdays and parties." I was then asked "Do you smoke?" I answered, "I used to smoke, from 1996-2007". After which, I was made to strip and turn around and after that, the physical exam was over. All in all, it just took me around 10 mins. I guess the length of time in on a case to case basis. I just answered honestly and I was pleasantly surprised it took just 10 minutes. I was then instructed by the examining physician to give my papers back to the U.S. Reception Counter on the 5th Floor. After handing my papers to the counter, I was instructed to proceed to the 2nd Floor.

When I reached the 2nd Floor, I handed my papers to the person at the counter and seeing that there were a lot of papers before me, I was asked if I wanted to eat first. So I said yes and left SLEC to eat lunch at nearby Robinsons. After having a quick lunch, I went back (there were a lot less people now) I showed the stamp on my hand to the guard and and I went back up to the 2nd Floor. I then asked the person at the counter if I had been called and when he checked, I was called earlier so I was given my papers and I entered the Immunization Interview room and was told to wait for the next available doctor (there were 3 when i was waiting). A doctor then said "Next" (which referred to me) and I entered and gave her my papers. She just asked if I preferred to have my vaccination here or in the U.S. to which I answered, "Here." She then asked if I was allergic to any vaccine or food. I replied "No to any vaccinations, but I am allergic to crustaceans". I was also asked if I had chickenpox and I said "Yes". When she asked me to show her where my scar was, I answered "I'm sorry but unfortunately, I did not have a scar from chickenpox" She told me that I would still be given the vaccine for chickenpox, unless I could find any scar to show the doctor/nurse who will be administering the vaccination. She then instructed me to hand my forms to the third floor check-out counter.

Upon reaching the check-out counter at the 3rd Floor and after handing my papers to the person there, I was told to return the following day at 9AM. My passport, Medical Exam Payment Receipt and Stub were returned to me.

For Day 1, I was there from 6:20AM till 12:45PM.

DAY 2:

I brought the ff:

1. Passport

2. Confirmation Letter (Original and Photocopies) from the US Embassy

3. 2 pcs of 2x2 Pictures (I wrote my full name at the back)

4. Appointment Confirmation Email from the Visa Information Service

5. Photocopy of NOA2

6. Official Receipt of Payment for Medical Fee

7. Stub

8. Cellphone

Although my stub stated that I was scheduled for 9AM, I went early again (since it was raining hard and I didn't want to get stuck in a traffic jam). I arrived at around 7AM and I was surprised since the number of people was considerably less (maybe because of the weather?). I then showed the guard my papers and he told me to ask the lobby guard (the guard immediately BEHIND the entrance). After looking at my papers, he checked the computer and he told me to proceed to the 2nd Floor. Upon reaching the 2nd Floor, I placed my receipt and stub in the tray in front of the Immunization Room (as per Sillygirl's Guide). There were around 7-10 of us there at that time. We then were informed that the Immunization process would start at around 730AM and we would have to wait for our names to be called. Unlike Day 1 where everything is on a First Come-First Served basis, we were told that our names would be called depending on the release of our x-ray and lab results. My name was called around 8:50AM. I was then asked again if I had chickenpox and to show my scar. Since I couldn't show any scar, I was informed that I would be receiving 3 vaccinations. Based on my knowledge and after asking the nurse administering the vaccination shots, the number of shots one would receive is dependent on several factors like age and previous vaccinations received. I was then informed to proceed to the ground floor, releasing area, for my name to be called. At 9:20, I was called to Counter A of the Releasing Section and was asked for my passport and 2 pcs of my 2x2 pics. I was then asked to sign a form and was told to wait. After another 20 minutes I was called again to Counter E. This time I was asked certain questions again like , what is your full name, interview date, confinement and operation at any hospital, etc. I was also asked to verify if the picture that was taken in the photo room during Day 1 was of me. After answering all the questions asked, I was given my Vaccination Documentation Worksheet (DS-3025) and was told to have it photocopied for my personal information and I was also informed that I would be needing another vaccination for the Varicella Vaccine after two (2) months. I then asked about the results of my medical exam and the lady at the counter said that they could not disclose but only forward their findings to the US Embassy. I was then informed that they would also be the one to forward my passport to the US Embassy.

post-36573-1219299558_thumb.jpg

Edited by ACT1428

K-1 VISA

02/01/2008 Re-filed and sent I-129F to CSC via FedEx (this time assembling the petition on our own with help from our VJ Family)

02/04/2008 Received by USCIS CSC (signed for by N. La Barrie)

02/06/2008 Touched - USCIS notifies us of Withdrawal for 1st I-129F

02/27/2008 Received NOA1 / Check Encashed

06/09/2008 Received RFE Notice via Email/USCIS Website

06/11/2008 Received RFE Notice & Instructions via Mail

06/12/2008 Sent Reply to RFE via US Postal Service with Return Card

06/19/2008 Received Return Card Receipt from US Postal Service for Reply to RFE

06/25/2008 Touched

06/30/2008 Touched

06/30/2008 NOA2

07/10/2008 NVC sends Case to US Embassy, Manila

07/17/2008 Date of Confirmation Letter from USEM

07/24/2008 Receipt of Confirmation Letter via Air 21

07/29/2008 Called USEM to set Interview Date. Interview on Sept 2, 2008

07/29/2008 Paid DV Fee

08/01/2008 DV received by NSO

08/19-20/2008 Medical - PASSED

09/02/2008 Interview PASSED

09/29/2008 Visa Received

10/02/2008 Flight to LAX

10/15/2008 Wedding

AOS

12/18/2008 Filed I-485 & I-765

12/26/2008 Received by USCIS Lockbox Facility

12/31/2008 NOA1

01/13/2009 Request for Initial Evidence

Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline

congratz :dance:

Naturalization

01-04-2012 --- N400 sent

01-11-2012 --- Check Cashed

01-10-2012 --- NOA1

02-07-2012 --- Biometrics

02-14-2012 --- Yellow Letter (it says "bring any state issued ID" for interview)

02-24-2012 --- Placed in line for Interview Scheduling

02-27-2012 --- Interview Letter sent out

03-02-2012 --- Interview Letter received

04-02-2012 --- INTERVIEW- passed!

05-01-2012 --- Oath scheduled/ Oath Letter Sent

05-16-2012 --- Oath Taking! I am now a USC!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IR-5

05-17-2012 --- I-130 Sent

05-29-2012 --- NOA1

09-24-2012 --- NOA2

10-11-2012 --- Received Case Number via email

10-12-2012 --- Mailed AOS

10-24-2012 --- Mailed DS-230

11-16-2012 --- Case Complete

11-27-2012 --- Received interview schedule via email

11-05-2012 --- Early Medical day 1

11-06-2012 --- Medical Day 2 -PASSED!

01-03-2013 --- Interview- APRROVED!

01-10-2013 --- VISA Received

01-14-2013 --- POE LAX

Timeline
congratz :dance:

Thanks!

K-1 VISA

02/01/2008 Re-filed and sent I-129F to CSC via FedEx (this time assembling the petition on our own with help from our VJ Family)

06/25/2008 Touched

06/30/2008 Touched

06/30/2008 NOA2

07/29/2008 Paid DV Fee

09/29/2008 Visa Received

10/02/2008 Flight to LAX

10/15/2008 Wedding

AOS

12/31/2008 NOA1

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thanks for the info....this is really a big help... :thumbs:

2008-03-03 : I-130 Sent

2008-03-03 : I-130 NOA1

2008-05-08 : Touched

2008-10-16 : Touched

2008-10-20 : Touched and Approved (NOA2)

2008-03-27 : I-129F Sent

2008-03-31 : I-129F NOA1

2008-04-24 : Touched

2008-10-03 : Touched

2008-10-05 : Touched

2008-10-06 : Touched

2008-10-20 : Touched and Approved (NOA2)

2008-10-22 : NVC Receive

2008-10-24 : NVC Left

2008-10-30 : USEM Receive

2008-11-10 : Wife's Medical - PASSED

2008-12-01 : Son's Medical - PASSED

2008-12-19 : USEM Interview - PASSED

2009-01-14 : VISA RECEIVED

2009-01-25 : US Entry (JFK)

Timeline
Thanks for the info....this is really a big help... :thumbs:

Good Luck on your journey. Just be sure to read Sheriff Uling's Guide and that of Sillygirl and Rea. My posting is just a supplement to those guides as well as to the other posts here.

K-1 VISA

06/25/2008 Touched

06/30/2008 Touched

06/30/2008 NOA2

07/29/2008 Paid DV Fee

09/29/2008 Visa Received

10/02/2008 Flight to LAX

10/15/2008 Wedding

AOS

12/31/2008 NOA1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.