gigant

Can a permanent resident bring over a spouse_

19 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Ys, after marriage you can apply for a spousal visa for her (fiancee visas are only available to US citizens). It will take several years until a via will become available, but ocne you are a US citizen you can upgrade your petition.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Timeline
K-1/Fiancé Visa - no.

Spousal visa - yes (but not if you got your PR status by virtue of previously being married to another US citizen or PR.).

hi,

thank you for your responses, i did obtain my permanent residency after 5 years of marriage with US citizen and will apply for citizenship next year,

im confused, can i apply for k1 or spousal visa while she is in Nicaragua or can she enter US during the process,

what is the best soluton in my situation

pls advice

thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

You should wait to get your citizenship, first. In the meantime you can get married and after citizenship apply for K3 (or upgrade your other application, if you so choose). She will not be able to come to USA till she gets a visa - K3s and K1s both take around 6 to 12 months. Good Luck

K1

March 2 Filed I-129 F

July 21 Interview in Bogota ** Approved ** Very Easy!

AOS

Oct 19 Mailed AOS Packet to Chicago

Feb 17 AOS interview in Denver. Biometrics also done today! (Interviewing officer ordered them.)

Apr 25 Green card received

Removal of conditions

March 17 Refiled using new I-751 form

April 16 Biometrics done

July 10 Green card production ordered

Citizenship

Jan 20 filed N400

Feb 04 NOA date

Feb 24 Biometrics

May 5 Interview - Centennial (Denver, Colorado) Passed

June 10 Oath Ceremony - Teikyo Loretto Heights, Denver, Colorado

July 7 Received Passport in 3 weeks

Shredded all immigration papers Have scanned images

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
K-1/Fiancé Visa - no.

Spousal visa - yes (but not if you got your PR status by virtue of previously being married to another US citizen or PR.).

hi,

thank you for your responses, i did obtain my permanent residency after 5 years of marriage with US citizen and will apply for citizenship next year,

im confused, can i apply for k1 or spousal visa while she is in Nicaragua or can she enter US during the process,

what is the best soluton in my situation

pls advice

thanks

Only a US citizen can sponsor a K1 visa for a fiancee. As an LPR, you cannot sponsor your girlfriend until after you become a US citizen.

If you married your girlfriend, you can petition her as your wife. As an LPR, this will take 5 years. As soon as you become a US citizen, you can upgrade the petition and it would take about a year.

Having an immigration petition filed does not give the person any rights to come to the US. Your girlfriend (or wife) can try for a tourist visa. It would be dependent upon her ties to her home and overcoming the presumption that she would be a risk for illegally immigrating to the US.

Since you acquired your LPR status through a prior marriage to a USC or LPR, a petition for your wife would likely be red flagged. Question 14b of the I-130 petition specifically asks "Did you gain permanent resident status through marriage to a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident?" Your prior marriage may be viewed as marriage fraud for you to obtain a green card. For this reason, you should consult with an immigration lawyer.

Hi...

It seemed like you're very knowledgable about all this. I want to ask in behalf of my cousin. She's now in Hawaii with her 7 yr old son. They got here in the US through her US citizen parents. She just got here 2 months ago. Can she petition her fiance or the father of her son even if she just got here couple months ago? I now understand that LPR can only petition a spouse. So she planned to go back to the Philippines and marry him then file for a spousal visa after. Is that possible or is there a time line like she have to stay here for quite sometime before she can petition him? please help. Thanks so much!

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
Hi...

It seemed like you're very knowledgable about all this. I want to ask in behalf of my cousin. She's now in Hawaii with her 7 yr old son. They got here in the US through her US citizen parents. She just got here 2 months ago. Can she petition her fiance or the father of her son even if she just got here couple months ago? I now understand that LPR can only petition a spouse. So she planned to go back to the Philippines and marry him then file for a spousal visa after. Is that possible or is there a time line like she have to stay here for quite sometime before she can petition him? please help. Thanks so much!

An LPR can sponsor a spouse for an immigration visa. Your cousin can go back to the Philippines to marry her fiancee and file a I-130 petition for him. He will not get a visa anytime soon though. An LPR petitioning for a spouse would be an F2a case. It will take about five years - people who had petitions for them in Dec. 2004 are just now eligible for visas.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD

HI,

Im a permanent resident and Ive a girlfriend in Nicaragua,

I want to bring her to NY where I live, how can I do that

can i marry her in Nicaragua, apply for a visa and bring her to the US

pls advice

thank you

WAIT. About 2 months ago you post your wife filed for divorce. Then, you were arrested for talking to an undercover cop posing as a prostitute. Now this. Are you for real? or you make ####### up as you go? :wacko:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
HI,

Im a permanent resident and Ive a girlfriend in Nicaragua,

I want to bring her to NY where I live, how can I do that

can i marry her in Nicaragua, apply for a visa and bring her to the US

pls advice

thank you

WAIT. About 2 months ago you post your wife filed for divorce. Then, you were arrested for talking to an undercover cop posing as a prostitute. Now this. Are you for real? or you make ####### up as you go? :wacko:

Just in case you forgot or maybe just for the others to SEE

Gigant in trouble with the law

Why is it that the only one who can stop the crying is the one who started it in the first place?

More Complete Story here
My Saga includes 2 step sons
USC Married 4/2007 Colombian on overstay since 2001 of B1/B2 visa
Applied 5/2007 Approved GC in Hand 10/2007
I-751 mailed 6/30/09 aapproved 11/7/09 The BOYS I-751 Mailed 12/29/09 3/23/10 Email approval for 17 CR 3/27/10
4/14/10 Email approval for 13 yr Old CR 4/23/10

Oldest son now 21 I-130 filed by LPR dad ( as per NVC CSPA is applying here )
I-130 approved 2/24
Priority date 12/6/2007
4/6/2010 letter from NVC arrives to son dated 3/4/2010
5/4/10 received AOS and DS3032 via email
9/22/10 Interview BOG Passed
10/3/10 POE JFK all went well
11/11/10 GC Received smile.png

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
unsuccessful_troll.jpg

Why don't you just report what you think is a problem user and ask the admin or moderators to take care of it? How does this help?

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
unsuccessful_troll.jpg

Why don't you just report what you think is a problem user and ask the admin or moderators to take care of it? How does this help?

Why? It's fairly obvious if you do a bit of reading that this is a sock puppet troll. They are a disservice to all on this board, especially new members who are unable to discern. Besides, it's more fun this way :P

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
unsuccessful_troll.jpg

Why? It's fairly obvious if you do a bit of reading that this is a sock puppet troll. They are a disservice to all on this board, especially new members who are unable to discern. Besides, it's more fun this way :P

Well as long as everyone is having fun, right? :)

The point is, the question is legitimate (thousands have it), the answers are on track and accurate. Why not just request to have the thread closed and the OP looked into. If he's a sock puppet, he shouldn't have his membership anymore.

And it might be obvious to you, because you read all around the different boards. But to new members who go straight to their forum topic, they'd have no idea. It would certainly make me think twice about asking for advice if I thought my post would be treated that way (whoops, it was!).

I'd suggest the disservice is done by too many people having 'fun' (but that would make me sound like a killjoy).

unsuccessful_troll.jpg

sister meauxna I did. Oh, and.... good to see you again --- just cut the patronizing.

Good to see you again too, Len & sorry you misread me. It was a sincere question. Maybe I picked a poor thread example, but there are so many to choose from I just grabbed the first one.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.