feejo

Catholic wedding where do I "Apply for marriage certificate"

19 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

here it say on step 17 http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...amp;page=k1flow

Apply for marriage certificate. We are both catholic and will marry at church, is it the priest that will give it to us by request? Why it say on step 17 to get this and on step 18 get married? I am confused.

Edited by feejo

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
here it say on step 17 http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...amp;page=k1flow

Apply for marriage certificate. We are both catholic and will marry at church, is it the priest that will give it to us by request? Why it say on step 17 to get this and on step 18 get married? I am confused.

I think step 17 should say apply for and obtain a marriage license. In some states the license and certificate are the same form. You'll need to actually obtain an official government issued marriage certificate, usually by mail, before filing for AOS.

Sign for license before marriage. Sign marriage papers after the vows. Wait for official certificate.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
Thanks, I will arrive Atlanta Ga. Where should I get that license/certificate?

Usually the County Clerk office in the County the marriage will take place.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

We got married in a Catholic church wedding and one of the requirements they needed from us is the marriage license that we got from our county's court.

N-400 NATURALIZATION

04/04/2011 - Mailed N-400 to AZ Lockbox

04/06/2011 - Received

04/07/2011 - NOA

04/07/2011 - Check cashed

04/14/2011 - Biometrics appointment in the mail

04/21/2011 - Early Biometrics (was scheduled on May 4, 2011)

05/09/2011 - Case Status Notification - In line for interview and testing

05/10/2011 - Case Status Notification - Interview scheduled

05/14/2011 - Interview Appointment Letter in the mail

06/21/2011 - Interview Appointment Date

06/29/2011 - Case Status Notification - Placed in the oath scheduling que

08/16/2011 - Case Status Notification - Oath ceremony scheduled

09/15/2011 - Oath Taking - good riddance!

09/23/2011 - Applied for Passport

10/08/2011 - Passport in the mail

10/17/2011 - Certificate of Naturalization in the mail -- OFFICIALLY DONE!

"Love is a noble act of self-giving, offering trust, faith, and loyalty.

The more you love, the more you lose a part of yourself, yet you don't become less of who you are;

you end up being complete with your loved ones."

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Guatemala
Timeline
Do I need a SSN, how long dose it take to get appointment usualy?

I suggest you google the website of the Clerk's Office of the County where your wedding will take place.

Every County has its own requirements, the County where my fiance lives requires: Birth Certificate and SSN of the bride and groom, we also need to provide an I.D. with picture and we have to apply at least 30 days prior to the wedding.

You can google yours, its pretty easy to find :)

APPLIED FOR NATURALIZATION 07/2021

08.01.2011 - I-751 SENT

08.05.2011 - Check cashed

08.08.2011- NOA Received

08.19.2011 - Biometrics Letter Received

09.12.2011 - Biometrics Appointment

01.27.2012 - Card production ordered

02.01.2012 - 10 year GC Received

07.25.2021 - N400 filed online

08.09.2021- Biometrics re-use notice

04.18.2022- Interview done at Minneapolis USCIS Local Office   ✔️ Received N-652 "Congratulations your application has been recommended for approval" during the interview.

05.19.2022- Oath Ceremony in MN

Timeline
Do I need a SSN, how long dose it take to get appointment usualy?

I suggest you google the website of the Clerk's Office of the County where your wedding will take place.

Every County has its own requirements, the County where my fiance lives requires: Birth Certificate and SSN of the bride and groom, we also need to provide an I.D. with picture and we have to apply at least 30 days prior to the wedding.

You can google yours, its pretty easy to find :)

Often the required SSN is waived if the applicant has never had one. Checking directly with the marriage license office is a good idea. Of course, a K1 visa holder can apply for a SSN immediately upon arrival, a very good idea.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Every state (or even county) is different.

In New York City, you need to go get a marriage license at least 24 hours before the ceremony (civil or religious).

Then if you get married at one of the court houses, you get the marriage license right away.

If you get married anywhere else, the person who marries you (priest, minister, judge, etc) has to fill out the back of the marriage license and send it out and you receive the marriage license by mail.

SSN is not necessary to marry here.

Edited by kid brooklyn

Hello Feejo,

We're Catholic as well. In our case, we followed a two step proces: First, we simply had a 'downtown civil wedding' by the justice of the peace in order to fulfill the immigration requirement of marrying within 90 days of her entry into the USA. Second, once the civil marriage had occured, we spoke to our Priest and arranged to have the Catholic wedding in our church.

My wife and I consider our Catholic marriage in our Church to be our true marriage/anniversary date. The civil marriage was really a 'non-event' that simply meant she could stay in the country and we could file for AOS.

In my opinion, take the easy/legal route and have a simple 'walk in/walk out' legal marriage ceremony to fulfill the requirements of the K1 visa. Then, meet with your priest and take your time to arrange the more important sacrament of marriage with your Catholic priest. I don't think you'll find any objection to that process from your priest (he understands the secular world) and you'll feel less 'rushed/pressured' to complete the most important day of your life, which will be the Catholic sacrament of marriage, not the immigration marriage requirement.

Well, talk to your Priest...that is the path we followed and it all worked out wonderfully well for us!

God's Peace and God's Blessing to You and Your Fiancee!

MarkNAAm

“Acquire the spirit of peace, and a thousand souls around you will be saved.” - Saint Seraphim of Sarov

49893.gif

"The love of one’s country is a splendid thing. But why should love stop at the border?” - Pablo Casals

Maybe the Catholic diocese in Georgia is different (hopefully), but here in New Jersey the Catholic church will not do a quickie marriage.

First, it is almost IMPOSSIBLE to find a Catholic church to get married in unless you have been a member of that specific parish for at least one year. It's the rules, they just won't allow it. Even if that is the church you will be living near and attending as a married couple. You cannot walk in off the street and ask to be married there. The reason always given is that the many marriage requests made by parish members fill the time slots and prevent them from accomodating others. The only time they make an exception is if it happens to be the church you or your SO were baptized in. Then they make an exception. Usually.

Second, you must attent their premarital counselling program, called Engaged Encounter. It is either one solid weekend long, or one hour a week for like eight weeks.

Third, 'freelance' Catholic priests are virtually non-existent. Meaning, you can't find one who will just come and officiate you wedding somewhere. If you do find one, he is more than likely on the verge of being told to resign for some sort of infraction.

So... I advise having a civil ceremony within the 90 day window, then planning a church wedding later on. Though I'm betting the Catholic church isn't keen on that either, since you would technically be living in sin prior to the Catholic ceremony.

(Can you tell my failed first marriage was in a Catholic church... and that I'm not Catholic?)

12-18-06 Began investigating K1 process<3

--------------------

01-10-08 K-1 PETITION SUBMITTED

07-18-08 INTERVIEW... APPROVED!!! (190 long days)

09-02-08 MARRIED <3

--------------------

04-07-09 AOS APPROVED (196 days)

--------------------

07-21-11 ROC APPROVED

--------------------

09-13-13 N-400 NATURALIZATION PETITION FINALLY SUBMITTED

10-23-13 IN LINE FOR INTERVIEW

01-11-14 RECEIVED INTERVIEW LETTER

02-10-14 INTERVIEW DATE & OATH DONE... US CITIZEN!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I'm glad my pastor is laid back and realizes it doesn't associate how long you've been a member of a parish to the realization that we believe in what it means to be married in the Church.

Not judging other parishes that do, I understand why the rule exists but am thankful my parish is more progressive.

12-14-07 Sent K-1 petition

12-17-07 Received NOA1

01-06-08 Got engaged!!!

02-21-08 NOA2 Approved

02-27-08 NVC processed petition

02-28-08 Received NOA2 in mail

03-03-08 Consulate in Rio de Janeiro received petition

03-21-08 Received packet for interview

04-22-08 Visa Interview and Visa APPROVED!

05-06-08 Visa received in mail

07-28-08 Wedding Date (Reception was 26th, but forgot to reigster for MC...oops)

10-04-08 Applied for AOS (EAD and AP also)

10-09-08 NOA1 for I-485

10-27-08 I-485 transferred to CSC

11-04-08 I-485 Biometrics appointment

11-13-08 NOA1 for EAD

12-09-08 EAD Biometrics appointment

01-08-09 AP Approved

01-13-09 AP Received

Cost of 3 roundtrip tickets to Brazil in last 3 years...... $2,900+

Cost of filing petitions for K-1 visa & AOS.................... $1,465+

Cost of monthly calling cards to Brazil........................$20

Cost of marrying the woman of my dreams.... PRICELESS

.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Hey, I live in Clevleand by my finacee and I are getting married in the Greater Atlanta area. I do not know which county you will be getting married in, but Cobb and Fulton and both very similar. I suggest making an appointment with the priest at your respective church and talking with them about it because I know different Catholic churces have different rules on what documents are needed before they will perform the ceremony. I talked to two different Churches and just chose the one my parents attend because they required the least amount of paper work.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.