PhiLandShiR

Which passport should I get for our baby?

16 posts in this topic

If I get dual citizenship for our baby when she is born, can I get a US and Filipino passport?

How does that work?

Is it possible for her to have both?

Just trying to get prepaired....

-Phil

kp7cnfvctuzu.png

If I get dual citizenship for our baby when she is born, can I get a US and Filipino passport?

How does that work?

-Phil

when your baby is born shes already a US citizen if you want her to have a dual citizenship you need to report her BC to the consulate

03.14.2011 -------I-751 sent overnight

03.15.2011 -------package says "Delivered"

03.30.2011 -------ASC Appointment Notice Received

04.22.2011 -------Biometrics Appointment

08.29.2011--------APPROVED! GC RECEIVED!

I'm the wife of an American Soldier;

I'm the hope that lives within him after storm clouded days.

The freedom from war that gives wings to his heart,

May they reach across the miles and bind our hearts together

against all that we must face in this world.

Yup, I know and we plan to do that this summer.

-P

when your baby is born shes already a US citizen if you want her to have a dual citizenship you need to report her BC to the consulate

kp7cnfvctuzu.png

Related question - we have both US and Phil passports for our 18mo old daughter and will be traveling to Phils soon. Any advice on which passport to present when arriving in Phils, or should we hand the officer both? We'll be using her US passport when returning to US.

Thanks for any advice.

M&M

Michael and Milah Jean

04/24/2006 | Married in Leyte
06/16/2006 | Mail I-130 petition to NSC
03/15/2007 | INTERVIEW - 6:30 am - APPROVED!!!!
04/05/2007 | ARRIVED IN AMERICA!!! (Detroit)
04/14/2007 | Received SSN card in mail
04/23/2007 | Received 2 yr green card
04/24/2007 | CELEBRATE FIRST ANNIVERSARY!!!
11/16/2007 | We're pregnant!!!
07/01/2008 | Ester Faith born at 11:49 pm
02/12/2009 | Mail I-751 petition to remove conditions
04/16/2009 | Approved - Letter recd 4/21/2009
06/29/2009 | Received 10 yr green card
07/11/2009 | Received Ohio driver's license - passed road test 1st try!!
01/29/2011 | We're preggie...again!!!
09/21/2011 | Eugene Filip born - 7:55 am

02/29/2016 | Mail N-400 application

05/19/2016 | Naturalization interview

06/16/2016 | Oath ceremony

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Israel
Timeline

How does that work?

-Phil

I actually just completed this for my daughter born in Israel. Firstly check with the Local US Embassy's web-site to see what they require, but to transfer citizenship onto your child born overseas you have to prove 1.) That you are a US citizen (Birth Certificate is best for this) 2.) That you have lived in the US for at least 5 years after the age of 14 and prior to the babies birth. It is not all that difficult to do and there are about $250 in fees involved, but again check with the US Embassy in the Philippines to see what they require in terms of paperwork here: http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwha003.html#Report Make sure that you are named on the birth certificate as the father or they won't register her.

TIMELINE:

10/13/09 - Filed I-129F

10/17/09 - Received NOA1

02/23/10 - NOA2!!

02/25/10 - Received at NVC

03/11/10 - Left NVC

03/15/10 - Delivered to Jerusalem Consulate

04/08/10 - Packet 3 received.

05/28/10 - Packet 3 mailed back to Consulate.

06/28/10 - Packet 4/ Interview letter received!

07/16/10 - INTERVIEW!!!

07/16/10 - APPROVED!!!!

08/01/10 - Visa delivered by mail.

10/21/10 - Flew into the US!!! Finally here!!!

11/14/10 - Married!!!!!!!

The child is not automatically a US citizen the US bio parent will need to prove the child is his before USEM will issues the CRBA Cet. and US passport!

!

Consular Report Of Birth Abroad U.S. Embassy In Manila

An original FS-240 is furnished to the parent(s) at the time the registration is approved.

Embassy of the United States of America, Manila: http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwha003.html

You as the U.S. Citizen must read this link, If your documentation is poor you will be ask to submit DNA testing: http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwha003.html#dna

U.S. Passport Application Form: http://travel.state.gov/passport/forms/ds11/ds11_842.html

Application For Consular Report Of Birth Abroad Of A Citizen Of The United States

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/83127.pdf

Americahttp://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwha003.html#Report

INSTRUCTIONS FOR CONSULAR REPORT OF BIRTH ABROAD OF A CITIZEN OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwfinst.pdf

This was my experience with the process at the US Embassy in Manila.

I recommend that the US Parent be at the interview. Both my wife and I was present .

Application are accommodated by appointment only. When I was in the PI I did mine as a drop in case with my daughter because of time constraint and got the interview four days later. Can’t say that it will work for everyone.

9) of instructions, is what seems to be the main emphasis and area of concern and investigation.

One thing for you to be concerned is For out of wedlock children But I must emphasize all of the documentary evidence on part 9

For me the main things they looked at was physical presence in the same location at applicant’s time of conception, ultrasound and pre-natal care records, they never ask for pictures or looked at the one‘s I submitted.” but never say never”

They talked a lot about DNA and my case was bullet proof so just be prepared.

Don’t forget you have to bring the child with you they want to see him/her.

This is my list of documents that I submitted to the US embassy in Manila for CRBA.

DS-2029 with 2”x 2” full face passport photo with white background. (child)

NSO true copy birth Cert. (child)

Passport application. (child)

Proof of parent US citizenship.

1) US passport.

2) True copy of live birth cert. with original seal of vital records office. A must have!

3)High School transcript ..(Yeah funny, but I’ll tell you more about it later it’s not a joke)

4)True copy of NSO Marriage cert.

5) Proof of physical presence in same location at time of conception. Airline tickets, copy of visa stamps.

6) Proof of mothers pregnancy, ultrasound, pre-natal records, hospital billing statements, and pictures.

Now about the school transcript you as a US citizen have to prove you are a citizen, you have to show that you have been living in the US for 5 years two after age 14….. They will not take your tax returns as proof, I can tell you why but I don’t want to write a small book about it. When you give them your school transcript they take them with out a word…Had her US passport and CRBA cert. in about 10 days at my wife’s home. PI.

Good Luck!

Note: If your child is in the PI with only CRBA and US passport, you need to make sure you get your child his/her PI passport if you do not your looking at costly fees from the BI, exit permit and or late fees. One plus is with both US and PI passport your child will have Dual Citizenship.

Example: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=199979&view=findpost&p=2978767

Related question - we have both US and Phil passports for our 18mo old daughter and will be traveling to Phils soon. Any advice on which passport to present when arriving in Phils, or should we hand the officer both? We'll be using her US passport when returning to US.

Thanks for any advice.

M&M

PI passport

'PAU' both wife and daughter in the U.S. 08/25/2009

Daughter's' CRBA Manila Embassy 08/07/2008 dual citizenship

http://crbausembassy....wordpress.com/

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
The child is not automatically a US citizen the US bio parent will need to prove the child is his before USEM will issues the CRBA Cet. and US passport!

Since the OP is AOS approved then I think the child was born here...

YMMV

Since the OP is AOS approved then I think the child was born here...

I see. then if the child was born in the US, no the child can not get dual citizenship he/she is a US citizen.

EDIT OR Retention and Re-Acquisition Act will not work as well

Edited by sjr09

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
I see. then if the child was born in the US, no the child can not get dual citizenship he/she is a US citizen.

in better reading the OP's timeline information, the baby WILL be born in the next 60 days or so

YMMV

http://immigration.gov.ph/index.php?option...9&Itemid=80

ARRIVAL AND STAY

1. Filipinos with dual or multiple citizenship shall present, upon arrival in any port of entry in the Philippines, either a Philippine or foreign passport.

2. Filipinos with dual or multiple citizenship, who represents a foreign passport, may be admitted for an indefinite period of stay, being a Filipino, provided, he/she possesses and shows a genuine and valid Philippine passport and/or Identification Certificate. In the foreign passport, the immigration officer shall put either of the following notation on the provision for the authorized stay in the arrival stamp:

L“IC” – if an Identification Certificate is presented.

DEPARTURE

Filipinos with dual or multiple citizenship, who presented a foreign passport at the time of their admission into the Philippines may be cleared for departure without need of surrendering a certificate, permit or proof of payment of imposable immigration fees, provided, he/she also shows a genuine and valid passport and/or Identification Certificate. However, if the Filipino does not have a Philippine passport, an Emigration Clearance Certificate (ECC) fee of P710.00 shall be charged for using a foreign passport upon departure.

In the arrival, stay and departure of Filipinos with dual or multiple citizenship, where the Filipino presents a Philippine passport and a foreign passport, the arrival or departure stamp shall be stamped on both passports. In the foreign passport, the immigration officer shall put either of the following notations on the provision for the authorized stay in the arrival or departure stamp:

“PP”- if a Philippine passport is also presented, or

“IC” – if an Identification Certificate is presented.

in better reading the OP's timeline information, the baby WILL be born in the next 60 days or so

I assumed with out calcifying the OP was in the PI with the way her question was presented.

OP any calcification ?

EDIT OR Retention and Re-Acquisition Act will not work as well

Not true. A child who was born in the US can acquire Filipino/dual citizenship if one parent was a Filipino citizen at time of child's birth. The child's American citizenship is derived from the principle of jus soli or place of birth, while his Philippine citizenship is derived from the principle of jus sanguinis or citizenship of one of the parents.

Dual citizenship of some Filipinos already existed as result of the operation of nationality laws before the passage of RA 9225. RA 9225 just makes it possible for Filipinos to hold dual citizenship through means other than by birth.

http://www.philippineconsulatehonolulu.com...ual-citizenship

When is a child considered a natural born dual citizen?

A child is a natural born dual citizen if he is born of a Filipino parent (at the time of the child’s birth) and is able to acquire foreign citizenship because he/she was born in a foreign country that adheres to the jus soli principle (eg, the United States). 

Thus, a child, born to a Filipino parent in the United States of America is a natural-born Filipino because the Philippines adheres to the jus sanguinis principle, and at the same time an American citizen because the USA adheres to the jus soli principle.

What is Recognition?

Recognition is an act of conferring Philippine citizenship to a person born abroad but whose father is a Filipino under the 1935 Constitution or whose father and/or mother is a Filipino under the 1973 and 1987 Constitution.

Who are eligible for Recognition?

Persons with dual citizenship, that is, any citizen of a foreign country whose father or mother was a Filipino citizen at the time of his birth shall be eligible for recognition as a Filipino citizen.

I assumed with out calcifying the OP was in the PI with the way her question was presented.

OP any calcification ?

I am the USC and my wife is Filipino, she is not yet a USC but still a Filipino Citizen. She is here in the US now. We plan to have the baby born here to get US Citizenship.

I was also wanting to get Filipino Citizenship for the baby and was wonding how I go about doing that.

Thanks

-Phil

Edited by PhiLandShiR

kp7cnfvctuzu.png

http://www.philippineconsulatela.org/consu...rv-registry.htm

Reporting Births of Children of Filipino Citizens

The Report of Birth is a declaration of the person furnishing information on the birth abroad of a Filipino child. It is important for Filipinos permanently residing abroad to promptly register with the Consulate the birth of a child in order for such a birth to be registered with the Office of the Civil Registrar General in Manila.

When a child is born abroad to parents who are both Filipino citizens or to one (1) parent who is a Filipino citizen, i.e. one who has not been naturalized as a citizen of a foreign country, the child's birth must be immediately reported to the Philippine Embassy or Consulate which exercises jurisdiction over the place of birth.

Ideally, the birth must be reported to the Consulate within twelve (12) months after its occurrence. When the parents neglect to report the birth within twelve (12), the birth may, nevertheless be recorded upon the determination of the consular officer of satisfactory evidence on the authenticity of the report. In these cases, the person who executed the report shall furnish the Consulate with an explanation surrounding the delay in reporting the birth.

PROCEDURES AND REQUIREMENTS

1. The Report of Birth Form (download Form No. 40) should be executed by one of the parents or the attending physician or nurse. The Form must be executed in quadruplicate (four copies): a copy each for the parents, the Office of the Civil Registrar General, and the Consulate. When the birth is reported in person, the Report of Birth will be sworn to before a consular officer. If the Report is sent through mail, the Form shall be signed in the presence of two (2) witnesses.

2. The original copy of the child's Certificate of Birth issued by local health authorities or by the local County Registrar must be presented. The Birth Certificate should also be reproduced in quadruplicate.

3. A copy of the Philippine passport(s) of Filipino parent(s) must be submitted, also reproduced in quadruplicate, in order to determine Filipino citizenship.

4. A copy of the marriage license or marriage certificate of parents, reproduced in quadruplicate.

5. The fee for this service is $25.00 in cash, postal money order or cashier's check payable to the Philippine Consulate General. Personal checks, personal money orders, ATM and credit cards are not accepted as mode of payments. Do not send payment in cash when reporting by mail. An additional fee of $6.00 is required if the Report will be returned by mail.

The Consulate assumes no responsibility for any loss or damage through the mail.

-------------------------

If you live in Iowa, the consulate who has jurisdiction is the one located in Chicago:

Philippine Consulate General

30 North Michigan Avenue

Suite 2100

Chicago, IL 60602

Phone: (312) 332-6458

Fax: (312) 332-3657

Email: chicagopcg@sbcglobal.net

It's simple, after the baby is born, just file or submit a report of birth to the Philippine Consulate in Chicago so the child's birth will be registered with the Office of the Civil Registrar General in Manila and after that apply for the Child's Philippine passport. As for the Forms, if you do it by mail it should be notarized. I did this also back in 2008 but I didn't apply for a passport for my son yet. Good luck to you and Congratulations on the baby.

Here is the link for the forms and requirements that you have to submit.

http://www.chicagopcg.com/forms/rob.pdf

I see that Consulates have different requirements sometimes I wonder why… :unsure:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.