DTunda

New To This All - Need K-1 Advice!

18 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Hi!

I'm a Jamaican citizen who has been living in Norway (legally) for the past 8 years.

I have family in NY and have visited them a number of times. In 2007 I went to LA to visit a friend of mine who is an actress out there, and she introduced me to a man who would later become my fiance. However, when we met I was not free to have a relationship with him because I was already involved with someone in Norway. So we parted ways and did not communicate for more than a year (I'd say about a year and 3mths). In January 2009 (after my previous bf and I called it quits) I and my fiance got in touch again and that amazing connection we felt back in 07 was still very much there so he came and visited me in NY over a weekend. We started "dating" officially from then though I had to return to Norway shortly afterwards. We kept in touch via emails, phone calls and chat, and in June we decided to get married.

My question is this:

Do you think the CIS office will hassle us because we had no contact in all of 2008? Also when I met him in 2007 we had taken a lot of pics together, but not one week after I returned to NY from LA I was mugged and my purse and camera were stolen. So all those pics are gone. We took a few pics when he came and visited me in January, and we submitted our emails (since we didn't know at the time marriage was where we were headed, we didn't save our chats and our phone records have been *impossible* to get. Long story as to why.) as evidence that we've been in correspondence but I'm worried that all this might not be enough. What do you guys think?

I've been reading up on US immigration and it all seems so complicated and overwhelming! Truth be told had I known trying to get married in the US was SOOO tedious and complicated I probably wouldn't have agreed to it. I'd have him come to Norway instead (not that its really any easier here), but we have already invested in a lawyer and all the papers are ready to be filed. I'm just afraid that our petition for the K-1 might not get approved due to lack of evidence! Do I have a legitimate reason for worry or am I just raising my blood pressure needlessly?

Any advice anyone can provide will be very highly appreciated. Thanks in advance! :) D

Edited by DTunda

I'm just a simple yard ooman.

K-1

12/08/09 - I-129F sent

18/08/09 - NOA1 received by lawyer

24/08/09 - Lawyer informed us of NOA1 arrival

03/11/09 - NOA 2 received

21/12/09 - Packets 3 & 4 sent to lawyer

21/01/10 - Embassy received Packets 3 & 4 in return

27/01/10 - Embassy sends packets to shyster lawyer again

27/05/10 - Got email from Embassy re interview

09/06/10 - Interview - Was asked to submit I-134 for my fiance (our lawyer submitted the I-864 instead) and we also needed a joint sponsor. Gathering requested documents and will submit as soon as they're ready, hopefully by 30/06/10. Fingers crossed for an approval!!!

09/06/10 - Medical - all clear

01/07/10 - POE JFK - sadly it doesn't seem like this will be possible considering the delay

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

You don't need boat-loads of pictures to get approved. We didn't submit any pictures and have made it to the consulate in record time. Although it is recommended, include a few really good pictures and don't worry about the rest. If you have a legitimate relationship then you have nothing to worry about.

Relax, this is the easy part! Welcome to VJ and hope you ahve a smooth journey!

K-1

05/05/2009 - NOA1

07/17/2009 - NOA2

08/27/2009 - Visa Received

10/09/2009 - Married

AOS/EAD

11/18/2009 - NOA1

01/15/2010 - EAD Approved

02/25/2010 - AOS Interview

Adjuticator's Field Manual

Old VJ Adjuticator Q/A

Disclaimer : 100% of the time I only think I know what I'm talking about.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Echo what KK said.

For the first part, you just need to show that you met (face to face) within 2 years.

By the time you get to the interview, when you need to show more evidence, you'll have had plenty of time to generate more evidence.

November 19, 2007 - Met

November 25, 2008 - Engaged

November 25, 2009 - Married

November 24, 2011 - Baby due!

Daily earning Amazon gift cards by searching the web with SwagBucks!

Timeline

Hi guys!

Thanks for the warm welcome! I've actually been lurking on here for a couple of months, but didn't want to start posting until our petition has been sent.

Anyway, yes, as I've said, the fiance and I first met face to face in 07 and again in january of 09, so that particular requirement we fulfill.

I'm just one of those type of people who worry a lot. We do have the trailer load of evidence, except our pics, emails and airline tickets. I read a few horror stories about lengthy waiting periods, nightmarish interviews etc so all this has gotten me shaking in my boots! lol

Hey, there's a yardie forum on here? Seeit, we deh everyweh! lol I'll definitely pop in.

K-1

12/08/09 - I-129F sent

09/06/10 - Interview - Was asked to submit I-134 for my fiance (our lawyer submitted the I-864 instead) and we also needed a joint sponsor. Gathering requested documents and will submit as soon as they're ready, hopefully by 30/06/10. Fingers crossed for an approval!!!

01/07/10 - POE JFK - sadly it doesn't seem like this will be possible considering the delay

Timeline
Echo what KK said.

For the first part, you just need to show that you met (face to face) within 2 years.

By the time you get to the interview, when you need to show more evidence, you'll have had plenty of time to generate more evidence.

Natpat,

This is probably a really dumb question, but I'll throw it out there anyway. What would you call evidence?

Since I can't travel to the US while the k-1 is being processed and my fiance can't afford to come over here right now, email and phone calls is all we have. And sometimes we get really busy and we don't call each other as much, but we do email each other every day. Is there anything else we can do?

K-1

12/08/09 - I-129F sent

Timeline

What I meant to write above was that We DONT have the trailer load of evidence, except our pics, emails and airline tickets.

K-1

12/08/09 - I-129F sent

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline
What I meant to write above was that We DONT have the trailer load of evidence, except our pics, emails and airline tickets.

That's all you need. :)

Plus the passport visa stamps, and you're set.

Have a big breath, it's overwhelming at first. But if you take everything step by step, it's really not that hard.

You don't need a lawyer for that process, unless your case is "complicated". If both of you have no criminal records, and deal with USCIS for the first time, you should be just fine.

Last significant immigration event:

ROC: Approved : 04/17/2013

USCIS works in mysterious ways...

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

How did you visit the US before?

If you have a valid visitor visa, you can come visit him in the US while the K-1 is processing unless they stop you at the border. People do it all the time.

Welcome, newbie. Good luck.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Echo what KK said.

Natpat,

This is probably a really dumb question, but I'll throw it out there anyway. What would you call evidence?

Since I can't travel to the US while the k-1 is being processed and my fiance can't afford to come over here right now, email and phone calls is all we have. And sometimes we get really busy and we don't call each other as much, but we do email each other every day. Is there anything else we can do?

Send some snail mails and cards, copy them and the envelopes to show you contact each other that way also. Make lots of calls, you can NEVER be that busy not to at least call for only a few minutes every few days. Phone bills with 15-20 calls a month look good. :whistle:

Mailed n-400 : 4-3-14

USCIS Received : 4-4-14

NOA1 Sent : 4-8-14

Biometrics Appt Letter Sent : 4-14-14

Biometrics Appt : 5-5-14

usaflag.gifphilippinesflag.gif

Poverty Guidelines : http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864p.pdf
VisaJourney Guides : http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...amp;page=guides
K1 Flowchart : http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...amp;page=k1flow
K1/K3 AOS Guide : http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;page=k1k3aos
ROC Guide : http://www.visajourney.com/content/751guide

DSC04023-1.jpg0906091800.jpg93dc3e19-1345-4995-9126-121c2d709290.jpg

To be honest, your airlines tickets will be fine. We had no pics of our first meetings. Being that you live in Norway, it is unlikely you'll get very much hassle.

I am a Yardie previously living in London who came to the States, at my interview, they wanted to see nothing.

As well as the Yardie thread, check out the UK thread, the UK thread will more accurately predict your experience in my opinion.

Do you know which Embassy you'll interview at? I am wondering if it will be the US embassy in the UK?

Naturalization

Son's N-400 Timeline

08/14/2020 - Sent N-400 and I-912 waiver to TX lockbox

09/18/2020 - NOA via text

06/05/2021 - Notification of biometrics scheduled

09/17/2021 - Interview - decision cannot be made

11/24/2021 - Denial letter, 30 days to appeal

12/24/2021 - Appeal sent back with I-912 waiver

12/24/2021 - Motion to terminate deportation proceedings from 2013 filed

Timeline
welcome Dtunda..yuh a go be jsu fine!

Thanks, Hotlegz! All the words of encouragement are keeping me strong.

Thanks so much to everyone!

That's all you need. :)

Plus the passport visa stamps, and you're set.

Have a big breath, it's overwhelming at first. But if you take everything step by step, it's really not that hard.

You don't need a lawyer for that process, unless your case is "complicated". If both of you have no criminal records, and deal with USCIS for the first time, you should be just fine.

Neither of us have a criminal record and neither of us has ever filed a petition before, so I hope you're right that these factors will work in our favour! :)

K-1

12/08/09 - I-129F sent

Timeline
How did you visit the US before?

If you have a valid visitor visa, you can come visit him in the US while the K-1 is processing unless they stop you at the border. People do it all the time.

Welcome, newbie. Good luck.

I visited on a normal B1 tourist visa. I have a visa now that expires at the end of this month. I didn't know I could travel while the k-1 is being filed and processed. We were told something different by our lawyer, namely that I can not enter the US while the K-1 is with USCIS. Hope he isn't scamming us!

K-1

12/08/09 - I-129F sent

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.