Vikash

Tourist Visa while waiting

17 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hi,

I applied for my fiancee's K1 visa on Oct 4th. From the other forums and calling the Vermont Center, I know the wait times right now are frustratingly long.

My Fiancee can get a tourist visa quiet easily from her home country (India). If she applies for one, and come to visit me in the States, will it jeapordise out K1 aaplication at all? I'd love to have her come visit here, but not on the expense of harming the K1 case at all.

any ideas?

-Vik

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Hi,

I applied for my fiancee's K1 visa on Oct 4th. From the other forums and calling the Vermont Center, I know the wait times right now are frustratingly long.

My Fiancee can get a tourist visa quiet easily from her home country (India). If she applies for one, and come to visit me in the States, will it jeapordise out K1 aaplication at all? I'd love to have her come visit here, but not on the expense of harming the K1 case at all.

any ideas?

-Vik

I'm not so sure how easily she can obtain a tourist visa but doing so will not negatively impact the K1 process.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

I think getting a tourist visa while the K1 application is already pending might get more complicated...dunno...anyone?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Common question, It wont affect K-1 process.

FAQ: 4.6)...Can my fiance(e) come to the US to visit me once the visa process is started?

http://www.visajourney.com/faq/k1k2visa-application.html#4.6

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I thought I've heard those who get tourist visas while awaiting the K's are turned around at the border pretty regularly. It could be just Canadians I am reading. Not sure.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Well I guess you can always try if you are willing to spend the money and time on it and be prepared for the possibility of her being refused to enter USA...

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

Policy for issuing a tourist visa is to assume that everyone applying has intent to stay, so it's up to you to prove you don't - so I wouldn't say it's "easy" to get a tourist visa, that all lies in your proof.

There is always the risk of getting turned away at the POE, too.

this is the way the world ends

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

My fiance was denied a tourist visa while the I129f was in process. The embassy told him he was clearly an intending immigrant and therefore could not issue him a tourist visa. With that said, I have heard of a touris visa being approved once or twice for those with pending I-129f petitions.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline
I thought I've heard those who get tourist visas while awaiting the K's are turned around at the border pretty regularly. It could be just Canadians I am reading. Not sure.
As per the FAQ I pointed out it spells out that strong ties back home are needed to be demonstrated to the consular officer to get the visa, and also to the POE officer to enter the country.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: China
Timeline
My fiance was denied a tourist visa while the I129f was in process. The embassy told him he was clearly an intending immigrant and therefore could not issue him a tourist visa. With that said, I have heard of a touris visa being approved once or twice for those with pending I-129f petitions.

Yes, this is absolutely correct !! Once the I-129F or I-130 process is initiated, the tourist visa is off the table, as there is now clear intent to immigrate.

I am not aware of anyone, especially from third world countries, getting a touris visa while waiting for the K-visa to process.

I-130 for CR-1/CR-2 Timeline:

Married in Guangzhou, China 12-2006.

05/03/07: I-130's for CR-1 and CR-2 mailed to CSC via USPS

06/23/07: NOA-1/I-797C's.

11/06/07: NOA-2’s were issued. CR-1/2 Abandoned, for K-3/4.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I-129F for K-3/K-4 Timeline:

06/11/07: I-129F for K-3/K-4 mailed to Chicago.

06/13/07: Received at Chicago.

06/15/07: Received NOA-1 Form I-797C, from Chicago.

06/26/07: E-mail notice of transfer to the CSC.

11/06/07: NOA-2 approval issued for the I-129F.

12/06/07: I-129F for K-3/4 has been received at the NVC.

06/02/08: Interview passed at US Consulate Guangzhou

06/06/08: Return together and arrive at POE LAX.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

AOS K-3/K-4 I-485/I-765 Timeline:

03-25-09: Mailed files.

03-27-09: Received at Chicago.

04-02-09: NOA’s for (K-3 and K-4) I-485 and I-765.

04-03-09: Both checks ($1010.00 and $600.00) cashed.

04-07-09: NOA’s Biometrics Appt.

04-14-09: Both I-765 files entered into the online system.

04-24-09: Biometrics appt. completed.

05-07-09: NOA with Interview Date of June 16, 2009.

05-21-09: Now have both I-485 files viewable.

05-23-09: EAD card production ordered x2.

06-01-09: EAD cards received in mail.

06-18-09: AOS Interviews completed and GC production ordered.

06-22-09: Welcome letters received.

07-07-09: 10 year Green Cards arrive. PM 07-01-09.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Guatemala
Timeline

One week ago I was granted a new turist visa for 10 years, our petition has been approved and our interview for K-1 is pending.

In my experience, it was pretty easy to get it. I'm highligting that it was in my experience ONLY. I've had previous tourist visas for more than 15 years, and I've traveled many times to the U.S. before and even more after meeting my fiance. I had planned on being completely honest during the tourist visa interview and brought all our papers and our NOA2. The interview lasted less than 1 minute, the CO did not ask anything about our K-1 neither about my fiance.

I'm leaving on Dec. 20th, hopefully I wont have any trouble at the POE. I'll post my experience when I return home in January. I'm going to be completely honest, they really haven't asked me much questions during my previous visits, so I pray that it goes well this time!

I say give it a try, if your fiance has had a tourist visa before it would be a lot easier, but there is also a case of another VJer whose fiance got her first tourist visa while processing their K-1.. so anything can happen!

APPLIED FOR NATURALIZATION 07/2021

08.01.2011 - I-751 SENT

08.05.2011 - Check cashed

08.08.2011- NOA Received

08.19.2011 - Biometrics Letter Received

09.12.2011 - Biometrics Appointment

01.27.2012 - Card production ordered

02.01.2012 - 10 year GC Received

07.25.2021 - N400 filed online

08.09.2021- Biometrics re-use notice

04.18.2022- Interview done at Minneapolis USCIS Local Office   ✔️ Received N-652 "Congratulations your application has been recommended for approval" during the interview.

05.19.2022- Oath Ceremony in MN

Timeline
Yes, this is absolutely correct !! Once the I-129F or I-130 process is initiated, the tourist visa is off the table, as there is now clear intent to immigrate.

I am not aware of anyone, especially from third world countries, getting a touris visa while waiting for the K-visa to process.

No, the tourist visa is not completely off the table. My country is considered a third world country and I was granted a tourist visa while our petition is already at the same Consulate waiting for a new interview to be re-scheduled.

I still have to see what happens at the POE but I'm very positive that it will be just fine.

So despite the intention of immigrating expressed on the filing of a K-1 there is still a chance to be granted a tourist visa.

08.01.2011 - I-751 SENT

08.08.2011- NOA Received

04.18.2022- Interview done at Minneapolis USCIS Local Office   ✔️ Received N-652 "Congratulations your application has been recommended for approval" during the interview.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline
One week ago I was granted a new turist visa for 10 years, our petition has been approved and our interview for K-1 is pending.

In my experience, it was pretty easy to get it. I'm highligting that it was in my experience ONLY. I've had previous tourist visas for more than 15 years, and I've traveled many times to the U.S. before and even more after meeting my fiance. I had planned on being completely honest during the tourist visa interview and brought all our papers and our NOA2. The interview lasted less than 1 minute, the CO did not ask anything about our K-1 neither about my fiance.

I'm leaving on Dec. 20th, hopefully I wont have any trouble at the POE. I'll post my experience when I return home in January. I'm going to be completely honest, they really haven't asked me much questions during my previous visits, so I pray that it goes well this time!

I say give it a try, if your fiance has had a tourist visa before it would be a lot easier, but there is also a case of another VJer whose fiance got her first tourist visa while processing their K-1.. so anything can happen!

The adjusted tourist visa denial rate for Guatemala is 52.3%, so your experience isn't the norm - but I hope all goes well when you come! :)

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

Timeline
The adjusted tourist visa denial rate for Guatemala is 52.3%, so your experience isn't the norm - but I hope all goes well when you come! :)

Yes, I'm a lucky girl ;) that's why I highlighted "in my experience" because I know that a lot of people have a hard time getting a tourist visa here. I saw many at the Embassy that day that were denied, especially applicants with very low income.

Hopefully I'll be lucky at the POE as well! Thank you for good wishes :)

Where did you find those rates? I think that is a very interesting info.

Edited by eric_and_teresa

08.01.2011 - I-751 SENT

08.08.2011- NOA Received

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Yes, I'm a lucky girl ;) that's why I highlighted "in my experience" because I know that a lot of people have a hard time getting a tourist visa here. I saw many at the Embassy that day that were denied, especially applicants with very low income.

Hopefully I'll be lucky at the POE as well! Thank you for good wishes :)

Where did you find those rates? I think that is a very interesting info.

I think the key difference in your experience is that you had already shown over a number of visits and years, that you would return home. Single women who have never been to the US generally have a difficult time getting a tourist visa from most countries, while those who have been in and out of the US multiple times, tend to breeze right through.

With regard to the OP's fiancee, I don't think it will be easy for her to get a tourist visa from India to the US during the K1 process, unless, like you, she's got at least a history of multiple trips abroad and at least one to the US.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.