jordanianprincess

Patience with your S/O

143 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline
No water for me :(

I'm a fish, I could not live without the beach! I'm going on a cruise for Memorial Weekend, can't wait to soak up the rays!

~jordanian_princess~

October 19, 2006 - Interview! No Visa yet....on A/Psigns038.gif

ticker.png

Jordanian Cat

jordaniancat.jpg

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline
ok thanks rub it in my face!!!!!!

Sorry...didn't mean, I thought it just wan't your thing. (F)

~jordanian_princess~

ticker.png

Jordanian Cat

jordaniancat.jpg

This site sells tatreez too, although not dresses.

http://www.mashrabiya.com/prod.htm

They are really worth the inflated prices if you think about the work the women put into them. Some pieces takes months to up to a year to complete. My family knows a woman that used to help with a co-op that sold tatreez, so my Mom's house is just full of pieces, dozens of cushions, table runners, a few wedding dresses, vests, jackets. I have several cushions and a few purses myself. The cheaper stuff is often done by machine, rather than hand. If I get a chance, I will post some pics of my pieces.

I have a catalog somewhere that sells a wide selection of tatreez. If I can locate it, I will post the info.

Rebecca

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

*faints*

Those are gorgeous!

I think we have all been through that period where we threw on a big t-shirt over our swimsuit, but the problem with that was it always made me so cold. Do these "islamic" swimsuits do the same thing? Or are they made of the same fabric swimsuits are made of? I would imagine being the water would be ok, but once you get out it would take forever to dry off.

I've only worn mine swimming in a pool, but we'll see when I take it outside this summer :yes: It is made out of swimsuit material. I'm planning on bringing a robe or something to put over it in case I get cold, but I don't think it will be too bad. Having gone on all the water rides at Disney, I'm used to being drenched all day.

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Filed: Country: Jordan
Timeline

anyways here's a questions where can i find palestinian dresses??? you know the kind that have the embroidery on it. I love wearing those around in the home after work. sooo comfy and plus my husband likes the way i look in them. :)

:thumbs:

Palestinian embroidery (al tatreez shoghul eed) is one of the traditional handicrafts of Palestinian women in the villages, and it's extrememly beautiful. I have a lovely embroidered fringed shawl I bought a few years ago in Ramallah. It was the spring of 2002, during the massive Israeli invasion (remember when they destroyed the camp in Jenin ?) Things were really hard in the West Bank... the roads were closed to Palestinian traffic, most cities were under continuous curfew for weeks, even months, and prices went down to rock bottom. People were just desperate for any money at all. I think I paid like $30 for the shawl.... they're around $100 normally. I also have many of the embroidered pillowcases, wall hangings and table runners. I gave many items to family and friends as gifts -- people are just amazed and delighted by their unique beauty and quality.

Here is a link with some great color photos of some of these dresses, so people can see what we're talking about. You can order online from them, but you have to email them for the prices.

http://www.tatreez.net/dresses.htm

But Angel it might actually be less expensive to have one of your husband's family buy dresses in Jordan and ship them to you in the U.S. Many of the online stores are charging three and four hundred dollars for these dresses. I'm not sure what prices are like in Jordan these days, but even with the shipping cost (which is not cheap) it might be much less than what you'd pay at these online stores or even at an import shop in the U.S.

I always stock up when I'm over there !

(F)

-MK

Thanks MK I thought I could buy cheaper here. The couple i have cost like 40 JOD a piece, but they are so beautiful.

angel

Timeline

They are really worth the inflated prices if you think about the work the women put into them. Some pieces takes months to up to a year to complete. My family knows a woman that used to help with a co-op that sold tatreez, so my Mom's house is just full of pieces, dozens of cushions, table runners, a few wedding dresses, vests, jackets. I have several cushions and a few purses myself. The cheaper stuff is often done by machine, rather than hand. If I get a chance, I will post some pics of my pieces.

I have a catalog somewhere that sells a wide selection of tatreez. If I can locate it, I will post the info.

Rebecca

You are absoulutly right Rebecca. Why is it that we are willing to pay so much for art elsewhere? I think I may just support the artists (I think this is a form of art) of the ME and order one. (F)

~jordanian_princess~

ticker.png

Jordanian Cat

jordaniancat.jpg

Filed: Country: Palestine
Timeline

Rebecca

You are absoulutly right Rebecca. Why is it that we are willing to pay so much for art elsewhere? I think I may just support the artists (I think this is a form of art) of the ME and order one. (F)

I definitely agree with supporting the artists. That's why I recommend going to the source, or as near to the source as possible. Each link in the chain adds their own markup, and takes their own profit. By the time an item gets to an American importer, it has been marked up hundreds of times over the modest amount paid to the desperately poor women in the refugee camps who produce these handicrafts. Most of the profit is not going to the artisans who badly need it, but rather to rich people who make a living off buying cheap over there and reselling at huge profits.

This is the reason I advise buying directly from the West Bank or next-door in Jordan. That's what really helps the artists and the economies where it's most needed. If you want to pay hundreds of dollars to an importer for an item that the artist back in the village gets $10 or $20 for, that's your decision. But don't fool yourself about who is taking the lion's share of the profit. I say this will all due respect.

(F)

-MK

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

Too bad what happened to a once thriving VJ but hardly a surprise

al Nakba 1948-2015
66 years of forced exile and dispossession

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

Filed: Country: Jordan
Timeline

Rebecca

I definitely agree with supporting the artists. That's why I recommend going to the source, or as near to the source as possible. Each link in the chain adds their own markup, and takes their own profit. By the time an item gets to an American importer, it has been marked up hundreds of times over the modest amount paid to the desperately poor women in the refugee camps who produce these handicrafts. Most of the profit is not going to the artisans who badly need it, but rather to rich people who make a living off buying cheap over there and reselling at huge profits.

This is the reason I advise buying directly from the West Bank or next-door in Jordan. That's what really helps the artists and the economies where it's most needed. If you want to pay hundreds of dollars to an importer for an item that the artist back in the village gets $10 or $20 for, that's your decision. But don't fool yourself about who is taking the lion's share of the profit. I say this will all due respect.

(F)

-MK

Agreed :thumbs:

Ok here's another question, since anmar has green card would he be able to go into the west bank? say like i wanted to go there and visit since he is now a permanent resident of the usa?????

Timeline

Rebecca

(F)

-MK

Agreed :thumbs:

Ok here's another question, since anmar has green card would he be able to go into the west bank? say like i wanted to go there and visit since he is now a permanent resident of the usa?????

You can't go there if you are a citizen of Jordan?

~jordanian_princess~

ticker.png

Jordanian Cat

jordaniancat.jpg

Rebecca

(F)

-MK

So, except for volume produced by "manufacturer" (artist in this case), it's analogous to the retail price/supply chain where you have a Jobber, Wholesaler and Retailer between manufacturer and buyer (the bolded also translate as "Joinly We Ripoff")?

(in your example, it appears to come to "Jointly We Ripoff Artist and Buyer")

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Timeline

No problem with him crossing the Palestinian border check. But Israel controls the actual border. A U.S. green card won't help... they look at the passport. Generally, Israel discourages or refuses entry to males under age 45 from Arab countries, unless they have business, educational, or diplomatic ties, or (more rarely) pressing family considerations. There are many Jordanians of Palestinian heritage, such as your husband, who still have family in the West Bank and Gaza, but men are often refused permission to cross the border. I have never seen any Jordanian males under age 45 even trying to cross.

However, if Anmar became a U.S. citizen and travelled under an American passport, he would have a much better chance of being permitted to enter. I would not suggest flying into Ben Gurion in Tel Aviv, but rather flying to Jordan, then taking the land route across King Hussein Bridge (it's less than an hour's drive from Amman anyway.) It's always a roll of the dice, depending on how tense the situation is at the time. And even a U.S. passport will state his country of birth, so he should certainly expect a rigorous interrogation at the border.

But there's a good chance he might be allowed through if the situation is calm, especially if he was travelling as a tourist with his American-born wife. Many Americans cross from Jordan to visit Jerusalem and Bethlehem... it's not uncommon. :)

Hope you two get the chance to go.... it's an unforgettable experience, one that will change your life forever.

(F)

-MK

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

al Nakba 1948-2015

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

...However, if Anmar became a U.S. citizen and travelled under an American passport, he would have a much better chance of being permitted to enter. I would not suggest flying into Ben Gurion in Tel Aviv, but rather flying to Jordan, then taking the land route across King Hussein Bridge (it's less than an hour's drive from Amman anyway.) It's always a roll of the dice, depending on how tense the situation is at the time. And even a U.S. passport will state his country of birth, so he should certainly expect a rigorous interrogation at the border.

MK, does the US allow (born outside US) passport applicants to suppress the birthplace from the bio-info?

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Timeline
MK, does the US allow (born outside US) passport applicants to suppress the birthplace from the bio-info?

To my knowledge, no. However, a person may sometimes be permitted to substitute the name of the city for the country. For instance, many dual Israeli-Americans born in Jersualem have U.S. passports stating "Jerusalem" as their place of birth, which is more ambiguous than stating "Israel." I believe Canada does the same thing, but in that case I think it's due to the undetermined political status of Jerusalem. (Someone with knowledge of Canadian procedure please correct me if I am wrong here.)

(F)

-MK

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

al Nakba 1948-2015

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.