jordanianprincess

Patience with your S/O

143 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Jackie, don't go... I completely agree with you. When others here are ragging on things in Islam (in this case particularly the dress code) then we should be expected to respond to those posts. Don't trash talk our ways and then whine about it when we defend it!

We are all here for the same reason, for help and support in getting our loved ones with us! If you don't want to hear our religious beliefs then don't bring them up! It's very simple. :star:

It's pretty easy to see that when you're dealing with predominately muslim countries that the cultures of those countries will be affected by the majority. Thus, since it is assumed that the conservative dress and behavior of men and women in those countries originated from Islam, it is viewed as an attack on the religion when you make snide comments about "oppressed women" or whatever else.

crazyinegypt--"NEVER would I lower my gaze to anyone. I am women hear me roar!"

It is deffinitely your right to have whatever opinion you choose.

JP--" if you don't agree with something don't respond to it, skip it over completely."Good advice... for ALL of us :star:

Fuzzness--"I've been reading this thread with great interest. maybe i missed a few things on the way.

what exactly is the purpose of the hijab? to hide a woman's beauty so men won't lust at her? what does that say for the man, that he can't control her or if the woman is sexually assaulted it's her fault?

and what about wearing a hijab for the purpose of wanting people to think shes a good girl? is that not the wrong reason for wearing it?"

The reason for wearing it is simple... because it is commanded by God in our religion. His reasons for commanding this may very well be to protect us from the lusts of men but could also have other reasons as well... how about from jealousy? or skin cancer? It is not for us to question WHY we are commanded to do certain things but for us to trust that it is in our best interest and follow the command. And no one is saying if a woman is assaulted that it is her fault... how about avoiding the action in the first place instead of waiting until after the action has occured and then placing blame? :star:

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Fuzzness--"I've been reading this thread with great interest. maybe i missed a few things on the way.

what exactly is the purpose of the hijab? to hide a woman's beauty so men won't lust at her? what does that say for the man, that he can't control her or if the woman is sexually assaulted it's her fault?

and what about wearing a hijab for the purpose of wanting people to think shes a good girl? is that not the wrong reason for wearing it?"

The reason for wearing it is simple... because it is commanded by God in our religion. His reasons for commanding this may very well be to protect us from the lusts of men but could also have other reasons as well... how about from jealousy? or skin cancer? It is not for us to question WHY we are commanded to do certain things but for us to trust that it is in our best interest and follow the command. And no one is saying if a woman is assaulted that it is her fault... how about avoiding the action in the first place instead of waiting until after the action has occured and then placing blame? :star:

Thank you for your explanation :)

It makes sense to me now

I have decided not to go anywhere. I have been a member of VisaJourney since 2003. If our Prophet Mohammed pbuh had turned and ran when faced with adversary, we would not have this great religion of Islam as it is today.

I am staying and if I feel like posting Quran all day and night, so be it. By suggesting I stop will only encourage me to do it more. I don't object to anyone on VJ posting bible passages. We can all learn from each other.

So there, fuzzy kitties for everyone. :luv:

Jackie

I have decided not to go anywhere. I have been a member of VisaJourney since 2003. If our Prophet Mohammed pbuh had turned and ran when faced with adversary, we would not have this great religion of Islam as it is today.

I am staying and if I feel like posting Quran all day and night, so be it. By suggesting I stop will only encourage me to do it more. I don't object to anyone on VJ posting bible passages. We can all learn from each other.

So there, fuzzy kitties for everyone. :luv:

Jackie

:thumbs::luv:(F)

So we go shopping today and as I looked at clothes, it was a challenge to find things for summer that did not show cleavage or be too tight. Dressing modestly and still being stylish is not easy. I have to wear business casual at work so I usually combine a loose jacket with black pants. Today I bought a shorter sleeved jacket so my butt is still covered. ;)

Jackie

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline
So we go shopping today and as I looked at clothes, it was a challenge to find things for summer that did not show cleavage or be too tight. Dressing modestly and still being stylish is not easy. I have to wear business casual at work so I usually combine a loose jacket with black pants. Today I bought a shorter sleeved jacket so my butt is still covered. ;)

Jackie

This is the same exact problem I have every time I go shopping! You see something on the rack and it appears that it will cover certain things, then when you put it on everything shows! What I do now, if I find something in a v-neck that I like, I wear a tank top underneath it. I still feel stylish but without showing so much skin.

~jordanian_princess~

October 19, 2006 - Interview! No Visa yet....on A/Psigns038.gif

ticker.png

Jordanian Cat

jordaniancat.jpg

It's the same here... with shirts that have a low cut neckline I usually wear one of my longer hijabs and either arrange it so it comes past that aread or tuck it in the neckline to cover that part. My favorite, simple style is to pin it just under my chind and then tie the ends together in the front... I just leave it hanging that way if the shirt is too low. I have NO luck with pants at all.... I am more than BLESSED in the rear section so no matter what kind of pants I wear they hug my backside.. I just stick with skirts for this reason. I like to wear the summer dresses with a long sleeve shirt and a pair of pants beneath it too. What kind of jackets do you get that you don't burn up in the summer months? I'm supposed to start a new job this week, inshallah, and I really need to get my business casual clothes up to date. Also, working in a business casual environment, how do you wear your hijab (if you wear it at all)?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Jackie

Oy, tell me about it. I did find some cute button down shirts at old navy that hit my waist. If I pair that with a long skirt, I feel my butt is sufficiently covered :blush:

I'm slowly making a complete wardrobe out of stuff from Shukr. I wear a size 14/16, and the XL for shirts fits me well. They're uber cute. I just got the aghra tunic in mineral and the hera tunic in acientuna. They're a little on the pricey side, but they last forever. I got some work shirts and work skirts from them a year and a half ago, and after being washed 40+ times, they're still in great shape.

For summer, the rayon shirts are pretty light. I wore them in Egypt last June and didn't die of heat exhaustion. The linen is nice and light too, if you don't mind ironing :)

I'm supposed to start a new job this week, inshallah, and I really need to get my business casual clothes up to date. Also, working in a business casual environment, how do you wear your hijab (if you wear it at all)?

I know this wasn't directed towards me, but my law firm is business casual and the shukr clothes fit in perfectly. If you don't have a ton to spend on new clothes right now, might I recommend one the shirts that are 3 for $100, here, here, here or here and pair it with the skirt that is 3 for $100 here. I got a few cleranced ($5 or less) shirts from Chadwicks and had a decent wardrobe for a loong time.

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.