JA Tam

Physical Green card

196 posts in this topic

Update: things seem to be moving... I received a letter from a congressman that has an attachment to it - a print out of our case worker's email - in which TSC is saying that I need to refile I-90B (with NO fees) - their exact words black on white and to send the supporting documents to their address.

I hope this will work, I'm going to mail everything Monday morning!!! :dance::dance:

Sounds good !

Just shows what you have to go through !

anyway lets hope they get the foot on the gas...

I would send a covering letter with copies of the congessman's letter.. just to let em know you have friends in high places !

alan

Oh yes, that is certainly my intention - to back up the B section of I-90 with the letter from Congressman and what the TSC person stated in the email - you can see his name but they blacked out the phone numbers. It will go out with the request for delivery receipt as well as signature so I can keep track. There is no option of e-filing I-90B as you don't pay fees - and I was hoping to get my NOA1 immediately. Guess I will just have to wait...

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
All sent out today WITH delivery receipt request as well as signature one.

Now I have to wait ...

Your job now is to put a follow up date on your calendar and then force yourself to stick it to the back of your mind and do something else. It's hard but it kills the time.

moresheep400100.jpg

Now I have to wait ...

Your job now is to put a follow up date on your calendar and then force yourself to stick it to the back of your mind and do something else. It's hard but it kills the time.

And when would the follow-up date be? After I receive NOA 1 or in 30-60 days?

I'm doing something else - I have two interviews lined up for Monday :dance:

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Timeline

Now I have to wait ...

And when would the follow-up date be? After I receive NOA 1 or in 30-60 days?

I'm doing something else - I have two interviews lined up for Monday :dance:

i would go after em after 30 days

My pal still has my green card and his house is in the path of the tornados -just north west of Atlanta

perhaps my GC will end up like yours !

good luck with the jobs - they are disappearing fast

Carolyn has been looking since November 10 - nowhere near yet

moresheep400100.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline

Good news!! I finally got my GC after 3 months!!!!!!!!!! My brother in law visited us last week and personaly brought it to me.

Well, I guess I can relax till next year, it is a 2-year card, so I still have to go thorugh one more step on the paper-work. But for now, it is celebration time!!

I hope that all the ones that have not received the GC card yet in this forum get it soon. Be patient, things move very very slow...

Kitten

Timeline
Good news!! I finally got my GC after 3 months!!!!!!!!!! My brother in law visited us last week and personaly brought it to me.

Well, I guess I can relax till next year, it is a 2-year card, so I still have to go thorugh one more step on the paper-work. But for now, it is celebration time!!

I hope that all the ones that have not received the GC card yet in this forum get it soon. Be patient, things move very very slow...

Kitten

just arrived back from my pal's house in atlanta with the green card !

now all i have to do is figure out where to hide it

not carrying it - executive decision - i will take the $100 fine if necessary but I dont want any more uscis stuff for 10 years

I might take nationality if I can get over 'soil' being called 'dirt' but it puts my hackles up every time i hear it

'dirt' for sale' and 'plant your roses in some dirt' - it makes me shudder i can't help it

dirt is filthy and soil is nice

nope - i am still an english person right now

moresheep400100.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline

Hi!

I feel like you Alan, I am going to hide my GC somewhere. And it makes sense if the penalty for not having it with you is only 100$ compared to the 360$ for loosing it, then I choose the first option. And anyway here in the US they only seem to ask you about your driver's license... so here we go...

Filed: IR-5 Country: Russia
Timeline

not carrying it - executive decision - i will take the $100 fine if necessary but I dont want any more uscis stuff for 10 years

I might take nationality if I can get over 'soil' being called 'dirt' but it puts my hackles up every time i hear it

Having a permanent resident card in your possession does not mean you need to have the original card on your person at all times. It means you can't give it to someone else to use.

The times when you will need the original card with you on your person are very narrow... when entering/exiting the U.S., when applying for a driver's license, social security card, or other public benefits that require proof of status, when appearing in person to apply for naturalization or other immigration benefits. That's about it. You can carry a copy with you instead the rest of the time if you want to.

Edited by Chris Parker

IR-5 Immediate relative parent of adult U.S. citizen, §201(b)

I-130 [100 Days] (+10 days transiting)

03/30/07 Naturalization oath

03/30/07 I-130 sent to VSC priority mail

04/09/07 NOA "Received Date"

05/08/07 NOA1 issued by CSC, rcvd 05/11/07

07/18/07 I-130 approved!

07/23/07 NOA2 received

NVC [73 Days] (+23 days transiting) ** using James' NVC Shortcuts 2.0 **

08/10/07 NVC received, case number MOS*** assigned

08/20/07 DS-3032 & I-864 fee bill generated

08/23/07 DS-3032 delivered to NVC

08/23/07 I-864 payt delivered to St. Louis

08/27/07 IV fee bill generated

08/28/07 I-864 payt processed

09/03/07 I-864 package generated

09/08/07 IV fee bill received & payt sent

09/11/07 IV payt delivered to St. Louis

09/13/07 I-864 entered onto case

09/17/07 IV payt processed

09/24/07 DS-230 generated

09/25/07 I-864 RFE issued

10/01/07 I-864 RFE & DS-230 delivered to NVC

10/04/07 I-864 RFE & DS-230 entered onto case

10/22/07 Case complete at NVC!

12/10/07 NVC schedules the interview, finally!

12/17/07 Case left NVC

Embassy (Moscow)

12/20/07 Medical exam

01/10/08 Interview APPROVED!

01/15/08 Visa rcvd!

01/26/08 Entered USA

02/04/08 SSN card rcvd (from DS-230 appl./EAE)

02/16,21,25/08 OS155A msg. from TSC

02/28/08 PR card rcvd!

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Having a permanent resident card in your possession does not mean you need to have the original card on your person at all times. It means you can't give it to someone else to use.

The times when you will need the original card with you on your person are very narrow... when entering/exiting the U.S., when applying for a driver's license, social security card, or other public benefits that require proof of status, when appearing in person to apply for naturalization or other immigration benefits. That's about it. You can carry a copy with you instead the rest of the time if you want to.

But that isn't the legal position and they keep re- enforcing that - it is a misdemeanor to not carry it 'on the person' at all times

I know its not practical - eg swimming or at the nudist camp, but it is very specific that the gc must be carried at all times so it is a balance between deliberately disobeying the law and the horror of applying for a lost or stolen one which could go on forever as we know

so on balance i am not going to carry it and take the fine if it ever happens

this is what the uscis says:

and here is the link:

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD

Permanent Resident Card

The Permanent Resident Card, Form I-551, is issued to all Permanent Residents as evidence of alien registration and their permanent status in the US. The card must be in your possession at all times. This requirement means that you are not only required to have a currently valid Form I-551 at all times, but also that you must carry your currently valid Form I-551 on your person at all times. The Permanent Resident Card currently is issued with a 10-year validity. You status as a Permanent Resident does not expire with the 10-year validity. Only the card expires. The card is only valid up to the expiration date and must be renewed before it expires.

Edited by saywhat

moresheep400100.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

When I was a permanent resident I never carried it with me nor did I carry my SS card, I just memorized both numbers just in case I needed them.

My sister on the other hand did carry them with her, got her purse stolen and had to go through all the hassle of getting a new green card and SS card. It was a hassle, lesson learned.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Timeline
When I was a permanent resident I never carried it with me nor did I carry my SS card, I just memorized both numbers just in case I needed them.

My sister on the other hand did carry them with her, got her purse stolen and had to go through all the hassle of getting a new green card and SS card. It was a hassle, lesson learned.

Diana

I am with you Diana - I would rather spend a night in jail and pay a big fine than fight the USCIS for a year or more for a replacement card

- it isnt a deportable offence anyway

I couldnt find it this morning after my 20 hour return from the UK yesterday ! big sweat ! anyway i did find it so more concentration needed

and no more split flights either - I go non-stop or i dont go - decision made

I got an 'IR1' stamp in my passport in November when I immigrated but yesterday I got my first 'LPR' stamp

It looks nice and I was through immigration in 20 seconds with no fingerprints or mug shot !

alan

moresheep400100.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else been through this? My GC has been returned twice now to Immigration by the post office, both times marked "undeliverable"... I will be calling them tomorrow to update/confirm my address for the 3rd time, been to the post office twice now, to confirm I am added to the address (which they look at me like I'm crazy when i ask about, one lady even told me she has worked for the post office for 20 years now, and had never heard about what I was asking!).. UGH!

Aug/2001: We met, started dating long distance style and lots of weekend sleepovers!!!

May 16/2004: Married, and still doing weekend sleepovers

Mar 13/2006: Sent off I-130

Mar 28/2006: Rec'vd NOA1

July 7/2006: Rec'vd NOA2

Aug 29/2006: Rec'vd IV Bill

Sep 12-2006: Pay IV Bill

Mar 30/2007: Case Completed at NVC

Jul 18/2007: Case left NVC on way to Montreal

Aug 31/2007: Rec'vd 1st interview letter (the one they DIDN'T send me, due to NVC having my address tagged as bad---this one was hubby's that I got 5 weeks late.)

Aug 9/2007 : 1st Interview Date (of course I missed it)

Sep 15/2007: Rec'vd 2nd interview letter

Sep 26/2007: Medical Appt booked

Oct 5/2007: 2nd Interview scheduled in Montreal

Oct 5/2007: Approved!!!!!!!

Oct 11/2007: Recv'd Visa in hand after hearing doorbell ring

Oct 21/2007: Activated visa

Nov 20/2007: Applied for SSN because it wasn't done for me... UGH!!!

Dec 03/2007: Received SSN in mail... YAHOO!

Apr 11/2008: GC finally arrived

Timeline
Anyone else been through this? My GC has been returned twice now to Immigration by the post office, both times marked "undeliverable"... I will be calling them tomorrow to update/confirm my address for the 3rd time, been to the post office twice now, to confirm I am added to the address (which they look at me like I'm crazy when i ask about, one lady even told me she has worked for the post office for 20 years now, and had never heard about what I was asking!).. UGH!

There has to be more to this .. how's about some background info ? - how many people live at the address and is there a redirection service active for anyone at the house or who has lived at the house ?

It has to be something like that which is causing the PO to send the card back.

There is more to this than meets the eye and it's always a redirection which causes this problem

I live in a condo and they like the address to be 1234 joe bloggs avenue #C and the mailman told me their computer cannot handle 1234 apartment C, joe bloggs avenue - so the format has to be correct

moresheep400100.jpg

This is a house address, no unit #'s or anything complicated. There are 2 others living at the house (husband and wife), and they both have lived there for about 5 years. I'm staying with them for the time being, while husband is back and forth from deployment. My name was added to the mailbox out front back in Dec. I did the AR-11 change of address for me in November. Everything else arrives no problem (SSN, bank statements, personal mail, etc)...

I called today, the lady first tells me, that its a problem with the post office, and go to them to find out whats going on. I explained to her that I have been to them twice now, and made sure my name was added. So, then she proceeds to take my address again (same one I changed it to on the AR-11, and same the same one I gave them again, back in Jan, when the GC was first sent back).. but then she tells me, its hasn't more than 60 days since my last update and the system won't let her in to make any changes, even through the case status update online tells me it was returned again and to call thier 1-800 to update my address....UGH! She ends up telling me there is nothing she can do, and I have to call and make an infopass app't, and see if they can override the system and get in to do an update. (I'm not even trying to update, i'm trying to confirm they have the right address, which she can't tell me, cuz she can't see my file!)...

So, I tell my husband, he then calls them back.. (he's mad now.. LOL).. he gets a different woman on the phone, who simply tells him to do another AR-11 for me, call her back in 72hrs with the confirmation #, and she will have GC sent out again, and apologized for the first woman telling me to make an info pass app't and saying there was nothing I or she can do.

Aug/2001: We met, started dating long distance style and lots of weekend sleepovers!!!

May 16/2004: Married, and still doing weekend sleepovers

Mar 13/2006: Sent off I-130

Mar 28/2006: Rec'vd NOA1

July 7/2006: Rec'vd NOA2

Aug 29/2006: Rec'vd IV Bill

Sep 12-2006: Pay IV Bill

Mar 30/2007: Case Completed at NVC

Jul 18/2007: Case left NVC on way to Montreal

Aug 31/2007: Rec'vd 1st interview letter (the one they DIDN'T send me, due to NVC having my address tagged as bad---this one was hubby's that I got 5 weeks late.)

Aug 9/2007 : 1st Interview Date (of course I missed it)

Sep 15/2007: Rec'vd 2nd interview letter

Sep 26/2007: Medical Appt booked

Oct 5/2007: 2nd Interview scheduled in Montreal

Oct 5/2007: Approved!!!!!!!

Oct 11/2007: Recv'd Visa in hand after hearing doorbell ring

Oct 21/2007: Activated visa

Nov 20/2007: Applied for SSN because it wasn't done for me... UGH!!!

Dec 03/2007: Received SSN in mail... YAHOO!

Apr 11/2008: GC finally arrived

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.