sarah and hicham

Sharing updates on VJ

93 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I found that watching others timelines to be very helpful. The only problem is for those that run into bad situations that cause delays. Normally we would want to know why the delay, but people are nervous to say anything due to those on the boards that are unaware of circumstances that has caused these delays. Lets face it, too many people here jump the gun and just assume either fraud or that you screwed up, which isn't always the case.

I have always posted everything here, and yes I have had my share of lets say interesting comments about our relationship. It doesn't bother me one way or the other because I know myself and my husband, but there are a lot of sensitive people out there that can't handle critisism. I don't blame them for not sharing.

'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'

Filed: Timeline
I found that watching others timelines to be very helpful. The only problem is for those that run into bad situations that cause delays. Normally we would want to know why the delay, but people are nervous to say anything due to those on the boards that are unaware of circumstances that has caused these delays. Lets face it, too many people here jump the gun and just assume either fraud or that you screwed up, which isn't always the case.

I have always posted everything here, and yes I have had my share of lets say interesting comments about our relationship. It doesn't bother me one way or the other because I know myself and my husband, but there are a lot of sensitive people out there that can't handle critisism. I don't blame them for not sharing.

I have hit some rocky points as I think everyone has... but I think we should still post receipt dates and timelines to help others have a time estimate of how long things are going to take.. I for one had no idea about EGYPT and its AP things until I came here. The timelines here can help people determine when they will get approved

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hey......I share! lol

It wasn't so much the time lines I found to be so critical with ME/NA...it was the interview details. Maybe it was the journalist in me but after Ramy's interview I wanted every detail not only from his, but every single other couple who went through Cairo. I found I was obsessed with each and every single one of you other Egypt people ;)

But AOS.....haven't figured out what there is to share about it b/c we still haven't filed. lol

Divorced. To hell with him.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
I put all my updates in my timeline when the event takes place. But I see no need to make special announcments like some do. "Approved!", "Got My 2nd NOA!" or whatever. I don't see the need to make a post like that.

Right, but I mean some people don't update their timeline or make anything known about their process, that's all.

When some, including myself, have tried to post their "updates" they were accused of pushing good news in the faces of others or negatively responded to. This kind of negativity on the board is what keeps many members here silent or private, or causes them to leave entirely. It's unfortunate but I know of many who do not post much of anything or include their information.

I wish everyone good luck on their continued journeys.

Jean, weren't you just pleading with Ewok the other day to disable your account?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
I think it's really helpful when members update their timelines and share other information about their journey, and a basic timeline is especially helpful. But the statistics here are never going to be entirely accurate anyway, and as for other personal information, this is a public board. Members should not feel pressured to share more than they are comfortable sharing. And just because some details have already been shared, a member is not then obligated to continue updating. A member may share a painful story, receive criticism or second-guessing, protest, and then be criticized for "putting themselves out there" on a public board in the first place. To avoid this emotional stress, it may be healthier for that member to stay silent for a while. We each have to act in our own best interest and that of our relationship first. That's why most of us are here to begin with. Statistics and helping other members are also important, but secondary.

I'm not referring to people sharing their break ups or personal details, I'm just talking about the basic immigration process and sharing dates and such.

Timelines are set up in order to help people...all timelines not just a select few. If timelines are meaningless then why are they there? Maybe they should be done away with?

My timeline is meaningless to anyone. I help in other ways. If something significant happens tho, I will consider sharing. :)

Ok well I just don't agree so I guess we just have to agree to disagree. I think everyone's timeline is helpful in one way or another.

Timelines are set up in order to help people...all timelines not just a select few. If timelines are meaningless then why are they there? Maybe they should be done away with?

My timeline is meaningless to anyone. I help in other ways. If something significant happens tho, I will consider sharing. :)

Ok well I just don't agree so I guess we just have to agree to disagree. I think everyone's timeline is helpful in one way or another.

sharing your timeline helps all the files .. because it helps track what people are doing as far as time spent on each section or process

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

It does seem reasonable to ask that the main timeline at least be kept current if it is used at all.

I'm the USC.

11/05/2007........Conditional permanent residency effective date.

01/10/2008........Two-year green card in hand.

08/08/2009........Our son was born <3

08/08/2009........Filed for removal of conditions.

12/16/2009........ROC was approved.

11/05/2010........Eligible for Naturalization.

03/01/2011........Separated.

11/05/2012........Eligible for Naturalization.

It does seem reasonable to ask that the main timeline at least be kept current if it is used at all.

:yes::yes:

My thoughts exactly. Even if I wasnt with my husband, for the good of the community, I would keep it completely updated and completely current so that people could see how fast I got throught USCIS and then how fast my fee bills arrived and were sent off ( which may be kind of tricky because of the fact that I have an attorney handling my case)

There are people on here , even in MENA who have divorced whose timelines are still up...

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline
There are people on here , even in MENA who have divorced whose timelines are still up...

Divorce wouldn't necessarily invalidate a timeline, but maybe a timeline option could be added for "process terminated (or a less ominous-sounding word) by petitioner/beneficiary" for cases where that applies. That way, that particular timeline could be left out when the stats are compiled, so the dates would be accurate, but the member wouldn't have to discuss anything too personal unless they chose to ("terminated" could cover anything from a broken engagement to the couple deciding to relocate to another country). That could always be written in the comments, but having a checkbox or field for it might make it easier to exclude that timeline from the statistics. Unless I'm missing something, there's currently no way to close out a timeline "gracefully" without a definitive outcome at USCIS or DOS.

I'm the USC.

11/05/2007........Conditional permanent residency effective date.

01/10/2008........Two-year green card in hand.

08/08/2009........Our son was born <3

08/08/2009........Filed for removal of conditions.

12/16/2009........ROC was approved.

11/05/2010........Eligible for Naturalization.

03/01/2011........Separated.

11/05/2012........Eligible for Naturalization.

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and it is my opinion that my timeline would not be helpful to anyone. Those who believe that your timeline is helpful to others, I'm happy for you. Personally, I rarely look at anyone else's because I haven't found individual timelines to be relevent to my case. It seems, also, that people get real negative about them if theirs doesn't compare favorably to another. Posting a timeline is not the price of admission, and if some folks are suspicious of or prejudiced against members who don't post theirs, well, there are plenty of other helpful folks who don't care if you have one or not. I'm one of them.

Edited by Green-eyed girl

I was just kidding, but who knows!

Me too.

I know people believe in it. I think someone actually posted that once. The reason they didn't update us often was because of the evil eye.

I was just being silly.

:wacko:

My husband believes in it. While we were waiting for the visa to be issued, he actually made me take down our timeline because someone of his aquaintences saw it and asked him about it. He didnt want anyone else to have any clue about our progress or lack thereof. I didnt completely agree with him, but it was a major deal to him at the time.

I also agree with this. If you start a timeline, keep it updated. Abandoning it can be seriously frustrating to those of us who do search the timelines. I completely understand that there are people who dont have anything to update or their process was termed/cancelled as discussed above. But honestly, there cant be that many people who fall into those two categories to make the timelines drop off into a black hole, like they oft seem to do.

I receive regular contacts via PM and Yahoo from new people who are seeking advice because my timeline or situation is similar to their own. I know when I first started this process, I felt much more comforted knowing there were other people in the same boat and waiting the same amount of time. I try to keep my timeline updated for those that follow behind and wish to research it.

Edited by yassmine2878

Actually just for clarification - imcomplete timelines do not skew stats, they are left off the averages due to being, well, incomplete. Not sure if this is what is being discussed here, or if it is merely annoying to see partially filled timelines.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.