5,509 posts in this topic

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Good Morning All (F)

Hey Yardie wife, welcome back. I would think Pilates would be good; Marlita correct me if I am wrong, but it's a low impact workout. You can check if your local library has any tapes that you can rent and start working out with. I have fallen in love with my library, because I can get so many things there. It is such a far cry from the Kingston Public Library on Tom Redcam Road...

Thanks Tam! I love the library too!!!

So, I`ve been driving up a storm, been out twice on my own....

My husband and I have been havng mega wars over me driving the truck - he thinks I should learn to drive the car `perfectly` first, my mother in law thinks I should be driving the truck to get used to it quicker...I`ve driven it twice and while t`s HUGE, I actually like driving it because it`s faster lol...He`s also banned me from driving with the baby in the car,but his mother and I boldly defy him...

:lol::thumbs::lol:

You go girl! Glad you got the MIL on your side as well :yes:

Timeline
Does anyone know of good workout tapes for people with bad lower backs? I have tried a couple tapes that ended up just killing my lower back (I was in an accident as a teen and have had probs since). Any suggestions?

Jam there are a lot of people in my yoga class with bad backs. You might try a yoga tape. I tired a few but then it was too hard to do on my own, you might try a class or too to make sure you have proper form then try the tapes your self. That's what I plan to do. I don't have back problems but I can tell the difference. Wish you were here, I found this free step class. It was great! I cannot believe it's free. Of course the class is jammed packed. I thought it was great to see so many people of color, working out. I'm just not used to seeing that. In my Yoga class I'm the only BA, not that there is anything wrong with that, jus like to see my people taking care of themselves too.

Thanks Dee! So it seems like Yoga or Pilates would be the way to go. I am thinking of taking a class but feel like I would be so out of shape it would be embarrassing. I want to work out a bit and get in fair shape before I subject myself to an audience :lol: Plus I got to save up that money :blush:

Timeline
Hey all! Hope you all are doing ok!

Good luck to all those wanting to lose weight and get healthy this year! I have the same resolution...lose weight/eat better and drink more water. I have been doing this for one week now and I have already lost 2.7 pounds...I haven't even started working out yet.

I heard that when you overwhelm yourself with too many resolutions you usually end up giving up on them all so I am starting out small and once I have the eating healthier/drinking water thing down I will move on to the working out/getting more active aspect.

Yardie I have been doing the samething. I started on Oct. 23 and I have lost 30lbs so far and thats without doing any excerise.. I'm sure had I of been that I would have lost more. But none the less this gyal is happy as all outdoors!!

I've cut out All fried foods, junk foods and sodas (I drink 2 liters of wata a day). The soda and fried chicken was the hardest thing for me to let go. It took about 2 weeks for me to get used to this new way of eating, but now it just comes natural yuh nuh?? I can't believe that I don't even crave the things I used to eat and drink daily.

Weight lose and healthy living... Come ladies we can do it :dance::dance:

WOOHOO!!!! Go Sonny!!! Congrats on such an awesome weight loss already! Such an inspiration :luv:

I am trying to drink 2-2.5 liters a day (5 of my waterbottles full). The fried foods is definitely the killer for me as well. I have cut out all soda as well. It sure is hard the first bit because my body is craving SOOOO bad. My mom lost a ton of weight by doing the Prism method - counting calories, more water and cutting out white flours, sugars etc. I am not going to follow that method to a T but I am cutting out most sugars and eating sugar free - I have been for a while but now I am going full force.

You beat me to it Tam. I was gonna say Pilates cause, yes it is low impact and most tapes have a "modified" person doing the moves for people with lower back problems. I have lower back probs too from multiple accidents. My last was the worst and I have a curve in my lower spine, but doing yoga really helps relieve that tension. I would try yoga for releasing your toxins and opening up your airflow, it also is a strength workout. You can get very flexible and not even realize it. There are crazy positions that my teacher gets in and I am like no way can i do that, but after awhile of doing yoga and then the teacher brings that move back after a couple of weeks and I slide right into it...its awesome!!!

You can rent DVD's from netflix or your local video place to see which ones you like.

Thanks Marlita! Those are some great suggestions!

Timeline

One of my biggest problems is I HATE veggies...the taste and texture :dead: There are a few I like but definitely not enough. That is one of my biggest stumbling blocks when it comes to eating healthy.

aaahh weight loss.... :crying:

Hey Shauna :luv: Don't worry you can join us after the little one gets here. How are you? How is the pregnancy?

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Hey Shauna :luv: Don't worry you can join us after the little one gets here. How are you? How is the pregnancy?

i'm doing well...the pregnancy is going as well as can be expected all tests and everything has come back negative and this likkle one really isn't giving me any problems...a little sickness here or there but it actaully is letting me sleep at night which i think is very nice... :lol:

Timeline
You beat me to it Tam. I was gonna say Pilates cause, yes it is low impact and most tapes have a "modified" person doing the moves for people with lower back problems. I have lower back probs too from multiple accidents. My last was the worst and I have a curve in my lower spine, but doing yoga really helps relieve that tension. I would try yoga for releasing your toxins and opening up your airflow, it also is a strength workout. You can get very flexible and not even realize it. There are crazy positions that my teacher gets in and I am like no way can i do that, but after awhile of doing yoga and then the teacher brings that move back after a couple of weeks and I slide right into it...its awesome!!!

You can rent DVD's from netflix or your local video place to see which ones you like.

I should try yoga...I am sure that hubby wouldn't mind the flexibility and the crazy positions :devil::devil:

:devil: Congrats on everyone's weight loss and healthier habits :thumbs:

Timeline
Thanks Dee! So it seems like Yoga or Pilates would be the way to go. I am thinking of taking a class but feel like I would be so out of shape it would be embarrassing. I want to work out a bit and get in fair shape before I subject myself to an audience :lol: Plus I got to save up that money :blush:

You can try "Walk Away the Pounds" by Lesie Sansone. They are walking DVDs you can do in the house...good cardio workout.

Timeline

i'm doing well...the pregnancy is going as well as can be expected all tests and everything has come back negative and this likkle one really isn't giving me any problems...a little sickness here or there but it actaully is letting me sleep at night which i think is very nice... :lol:

:lol: That is very nice of him :lol:

Glad to hear all is going well...can you believe there is only 3 months left to go?

Timeline

You can try "Walk Away the Pounds" by Lesie Sansone. They are walking DVDs you can do in the house...good cardio workout.

Thanks! I saw those advertised before but I wasn't sure how good of a workout they could be. I will definitely look into that as well :) Thanks

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Tell me this is not one of the scariest thing you have ever heard......

Thieves now resort to 'powdering'

published: Tuesday | January 15, 2008

Marlon Vickerman, Features Writer

If you previously lived in an inner-city area and then relocated to the Greater Portmore area, you may conclude that you died and went to heaven, with the exception of the heat, of course. Other than that, it could easily make for one of the most peaceful places to live in St. Catherine. Crime free. That is, until you 'fall' asleep.

Reports reaching The Gleaner are that thieves are preying on communities in Greater Portmore and these criminals are not using the daring and archaic break-in techniques. Their ways are much more scientific. They are sprinkling a sleep-inducing, chemical substance in the houses before making off with valuables.

A 4 East (a Greater Portmore community) resident, opting not to have his name published, said he had a rude and unpleasant awakening late last year, after he discovered that his family home in the community was seemingly 'powdered' and robbed. Luckily, the substance and the criminals did not harm him or his wife and two children.

Shaken up

"I don't know if it's a powder or a liquid or if the thieves researched and came up with a home-made substance, but I could not believe that it had actually happened to me, it really left my wife shaken up," said the resident. "I know of people that it has happened to before on more than one occasion, but to find out that it had happened to me has left me in disbelief."

He continued: "What they seem to do is apply the substance through spaces such as windows or even under the door and after you doze off, they force their way in."

The resident said he knew something was wrong as soon as he arose the following morning. "When I woke up I had a discomfort in my throat and nose. Even though I was breathing freely, something still did not feel right," he said. "I then noticed that one of my windows was open and a door was open, which I don't recall leaving them like that, so I started searching for some of my belongings and discovered that two cellphones, jewellery and a sum of money were missing."

No trace found

He found no trace of any chemical substance believed to have been used by the culprits.

An officer at the Portmore Police Station said head of the Criminal Investigation Bureau (CIB) Detective Inspector Malcolm was the only authorised person who could comment on the matter, but would not be in as he is currently on sick leave. However, he briefly stated that they have received a number of reports of that nature where people refer to being 'powdered' then robbed. He continued that neither he nor any other officer has ever recovered any chemical substance at any of the scenes and hence, have no leads whatsoever in that regard.

As a defensive measures against the 'powdery break-ins', some residents are reportedly leaving open containers of water close to the most vulnerable areas in their homes, possibly to absorb or dilute the substance, thus neutralising the effects. But even then, try not to sleep too deeply, and be sure not to leave the keys in the padlock after closing the grill. Be on the look-out and put all the necessary measures in place to ensure that you are not the next victim of these sleep-time robbers.

I don't understand this. If they haven't found any chemical substance or powdered material then how do they know they are being powdered? Sound like a old Jamaican wives tale. Seems that if the substance can do all that it is saying it can, its more valuable than the little cash and cell phones these folks are stealing. So wierd!

PUSH!: Pray Until Something Happens!

Timeline
One of my biggest problems is I HATE veggies...the taste and texture :dead: There are a few I like but definitely not enough. That is one of my biggest stumbling blocks when it comes to eating healthy.

Do you eat cooked veggies or raw veggies? Cause you mention the texture and usually thats a softer texture people dont like which means they are cooked and then if they are cooked they're no good for you anyway.

An easy way to eat veggies is to start with Salads. Buy veggies that you can chop and add to a salad....wait maybe I should move this to the health thread....going there now...likkle more.

PUSH!: Pray Until Something Happens!

Filed: Other Timeline

Do you eat cooked veggies or raw veggies? Cause you mention the texture and usually thats a softer texture people dont like which means they are cooked and then if they are cooked they're no good for you anyway.

An easy way to eat veggies is to start with Salads. Buy veggies that you can chop and add to a salad....wait maybe I should move this to the health thread....going there now...likkle more.

Please do!!!! :whistle: I'm answering it there as well.

4457325_bodyshot_175x233.gif 4489327_bodyshot_175x233.gif

Cases complete!Enjoying life!!

PM me if you have questions

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Hey Yardie Fam,

JG, I missed the blackout by a day...(thank G-d!!) I hate when current is gone! :lol: ... I MISSED YOU GUYS!!!!

But I ain't gonna lie....JAMAICA WAS BLOODCLAAT AMAZING!!!! Rebel Salute was WONDERFUL!!!! We had a great time!

My trip further solidified my decision to file for Ken. He was equally amazing! I just feel blessed to have him (as he does me ;) )

Rebel Salute was CRAZY!!! We got there at 10pm and left at 10am the following morning. Jah Cure was AMAZING...he sounded exactly like he did on his album. Capelton, Taurus Riley, and Busy Signal got the crowd screaming! Definitely want to go back again. We went to a restaurant called 'Little Ochie", near Santa Cruz in St. Elizabeth. I would definately recommend it and Rebel Salute to everyone!

Saying good-bye wasn't the usual water works on my end,..because I knew I would be headed back relatively soon! :D:D:D

So, Ken dropped off his DS-230 today at the embassy. How long before I can start calling to find out about a date?

Again, I love you guys and really did miss you!

Blessed,

Gill

P.S.- Here are some pics

IMG_0654.jpg

IMG_0631.jpg

IMG_0627.jpg

Edited by Deyoungting

06/08/08- Married my best friend!

AOS/EAD/AP Applications

12/08/08- Package mailed

12/11/08- Package received at USCIS Chicago lockbox

12/19/08- Check cashed by USCIS

12/27/08-Biometrics appt letter recieved

01/05/09- CRIS email notification-I-485 Case transferred to CSC

01/06/09- Biometrics complete

03/02/09- AP received via USPS

03/05/09- EAD received via USPS

04/27/09- Received CRIS email - Green Card has been ordered on 4/25/09- Petition Approved!!

04/28/09- Received CRIS email 'Welcome Letter' mailed

05/04/2009- Conditional 2 year Green Card received

CF906-K_lg.jpgA heart that loves is 'Forever Young'!CF906-G_lg.jpg

Who JAH bless..no man can curse!!

Another Proud Jamaican Lioness in a wonderful relationship with her Powerful Jamaican Lion!

Timeline

Welcome back Gill :dance: Glad you had a good time!!

USCIS

06-28-2011-Mailed I-130

07-03-2011-NOA1

12-08-2011-NOA2

NVC

12-19-2012-NVC Received Case

01-06-2012-Case Number

01-25-2012-Case Completed

02-21-2012-Medical

03-06-2012-Interview--APPROVED

03-13-2012-VISA RECEIVED

03-16-2012-POE ATL

ROC

02/24/2014-Mailed I-751

02/26/2014-Package Received

02/28/2014-NOA1 Hard Copy

02/28/2014-Check Cashed

03/25/2014-Biometrics Appt

06/04/2014-RFE Sent more info back on 07/29/2014

09/04/2014 ROC Approved

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.