Yaads

Yardies, at home and a farrin' (Part 5)

5,509 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Hey there everyone,

I know it's been quite awhile....and thank you to those that have PM'd me to touch base, I truly apologize that I haven't responded.

Life, just has been ....crazy....as always. Five months of the thread was just way to much catching up on .. I'm sure there are loads of congratulations, sorrows and challenges.....never ever ever know which way our lives are going to go, especially in this craziness of the VISA journey.

First and foremost....Craig FINALLY moved out !!! It is a TOTAL blessing and was LONG overdue, but he HAS to stand on his own 2 feet "as a man" and be responsible, learn how to pay bills, work hard, etc etc etc. He has changed so incredibly much, I just can't deal anymore!!! TRUST ME I've compromised and those that know me, I have been VERY veeeeeery patient, but.............just could not live with him for one more day. We had a major issue come up in the beginning of Feb and I gave him an ultimatum ....get out or I will be nasty about getting you out !!!! I still think when he moved that "I" was going to give in, yeah right ....like that was ever going to happen !!!

So don't know where we are going to go from here......if anywhere. "I" am TOTALLY fine and so is my son!! better than ever. My son has made honor roll 2 quarters in a row and was "student of the month" last month. The weight of Craig's BS ####### has been lifted off of my (well, both of our) shoulders. No more bickering and fighting....is such a relief !!!

Well, it took forever...since last summer when we filed for AOS and after just sitting there in California since Nov with no touches or anything, I contacted the Senators office and then got an email this past Friday that his GC is on its way. He doesn't know and I'm not going to share that with him...yet.

My business has been extremely busy, which is a blessing as well.

We're in full swing with soccer and the start of this years season is just around the corner. Our coach likes to have 3 tournaments before the start of the season and they just had their 1st tournament in Virginia over the weekend.

Anyway, I hope all is well with everyone. If anyone needs to reach me, please email me instead of PMing..... because I don't get to come on here ... my email is up and running all of the time.

a-and-k-travel@verizon.net

OH and I finally (I know a travel agent and being in the travel industry for the past 17 1/2 yrs... I should have had one, but I never really needed to) but ....I got our (me and my sons) passports (in 8 days) and those arrived last week. I would really like to go to Jamaica for my birthday weekend....May 18th.... but we'll see.... I haven't been anywhere fun and exciting for almost 2 flippin years !!!

Take care everyone !

Love,

Kelly

Wonderful to see you posting!!!

Also very happy your life is on track, congrats to your son!!!

Hope you continue posting, I think you have so much to offer :)

Ditto.

You and your son deserve a vacation. Good luck to you :thumbs:

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline
Hey there everyone,

I know it's been quite awhile....and thank you to those that have PM'd me to touch base, I truly apologize that I haven't responded.

Life, just has been ....crazy....as always. Five months of the thread was just way to much catching up on .. I'm sure there are loads of congratulations, sorrows and challenges.....never ever ever know which way our lives are going to go, especially in this craziness of the VISA journey.

First and foremost....Craig FINALLY moved out !!! It is a TOTAL blessing and was LONG overdue, but he HAS to stand on his own 2 feet "as a man" and be responsible, learn how to pay bills, work hard, etc etc etc. He has changed so incredibly much, I just can't deal anymore!!! TRUST ME I've compromised and those that know me, I have been VERY veeeeeery patient, but.............just could not live with him for one more day. We had a major issue come up in the beginning of Feb and I gave him an ultimatum ....get out or I will be nasty about getting you out !!!! I still think when he moved that "I" was going to give in, yeah right ....like that was ever going to happen !!!

So don't know where we are going to go from here......if anywhere. "I" am TOTALLY fine and so is my son!! better than ever. My son has made honor roll 2 quarters in a row and was "student of the month" last month. The weight of Craig's BS ####### has been lifted off of my (well, both of our) shoulders. No more bickering and fighting....is such a relief !!!

Well, it took forever...since last summer when we filed for AOS and after just sitting there in California since Nov with no touches or anything, I contacted the Senators office and then got an email this past Friday that his GC is on its way. He doesn't know and I'm not going to share that with him...yet.

We're in full swing with soccer and the start of this years season is just around the corner. Our coach likes to have 3 tournaments before the start of the season and they just had their 1st tournament in Virginia over the weekend.

Anyway, I hope all is well with everyone. If anyone needs to reach me, please email me instead of PMing..... because I don't get to come on here ... my email is up and running all of the time.

OH and I finally (I know a travel agent and being in the travel industry for the past 17 1/2 yrs... I should have had one, but I never really needed to) but ....I got our (me and my sons) passports (in 8 days) and those arrived last week. I would really like to go to Jamaica for my birthday weekend....May 18th.... but we'll see.... I haven't been anywhere fun and exciting for almost 2 flippin years !!!

Take care everyone !

Love,

Kelly

Hi Kelly,

You don't know me, as I'm new here, but I wish you all the best. I'll add you to my prayer circle...we all need it. Take care. Hit me up if you need to talk. I'm going through the changes as well. I see we share a birthday month (MAY)...so happy VERY early B'day.

Lawny

********************************************************************************

....when it hurts to look back and you're scared to look ahead LOOK beside you and I'll be there.....

There comes a point in your life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won't anymore... and who always will.

So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

6002239865101_1_27247687.jpg (cost of the IMMIGRATION PROCESS)

tep aff a mi name

Filed: Other Timeline
Hey there everyone,

Take care everyone !

Love,

Kelly

Wonderful to see you posting!!!

Also very happy your life is on track, congrats to your son!!!

Hope you continue posting, I think you have so much to offer :)

Ditto.

You and your son deserve a vacation. Good luck to you :thumbs:

Ditto Kelly. Good luck!!

4457325_bodyshot_175x233.gif 4489327_bodyshot_175x233.gif

Cases complete!Enjoying life!!

PM me if you have questions

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
sooooo....spoke to one of my friends who came here on a work visa from Jamaica.

She says first she had to pay her fare and the visa fee, came up to like $3,000USD :o

she says she has to work 5 days a week, 12 hour shifts for $4 an hour...

also she says ELEVEN of them share a 4 bedroom house, each paying $150 a month rent...

Modern day slavery to me :(

I've always thought it was kind of hinky, if you ask me.

I've just read somewhere that the work visas are going to stop for a while soon. Something about the US visa agreements expiring and the government not renewing the laws or whatever keeps them in force. So basically, the people who are on work visas are the last of their kind for a while.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: Other Timeline

To the mothers: anyone have children who have good leadership/responsibility qualities? I'm sure I'm doing an adequate job, but I wish my daughter wasn't so lazy. I was wondering to develope these qualities in your children?

BTW the cat ate our bird. The bird will get out of the cage when it was hungry they have been home an entire day and have not even noticed the bird is missing. There were feathers all over the floor and the bird is no wear to be found. I'm going to see how lond time passes before they notice. I told my daughter to feed the bird three days ago, there is no food or water in the dish :wacko:

Edited by brownnskinn

4457325_bodyshot_175x233.gif 4489327_bodyshot_175x233.gif

Cases complete!Enjoying life!!

PM me if you have questions

Timeline
sooooo....spoke to one of my friends who came here on a work visa from Jamaica.

She says first she had to pay her fare and the visa fee, came up to like $3,000USD :o

she says she has to work 5 days a week, 12 hour shifts for $4 an hour...

also she says ELEVEN of them share a 4 bedroom house, each paying $150 a month rent...

Modern day slavery to me :(

yup....i know they have to pay a lot to not earn a lot....one of mike's friend who was here on a work program said he hardly had enough money to even get food...the living quarters were not so great and he had to get himself to and from work....just doesn't seem right...

Yes I've heard so many stories of people coming here to work and going on and on about how they make enough money in a few short months to live for the rest of the year. Makes you wonder what some are doing that others aren't.

Blanched and frozen in zip lock bags. I've done it a few times with no problems.

Havethey ever asked you if you have any?

Yes. I claimed it on my forms. They asked how I had it. I told them. And, I went on through. Didn't even have to go through the food line.

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

Timeline
Hey there everyone,

Take care everyone !

Love,

Kelly

Hey, Kel. Glad to hear from you.

:ot:

Ladies, (particularly the wives), how does your husband feel about birth control (and judging from the posts recently, I'm not sure how many folx this really applies too!! :lol::lol::lol: ). I ask because my husband confuses me on his thoughts. On the one hand, he says to me that he wants us to wait to have children until he is able to be here and he has a job (smart man...I agree 1000%). A couple of days later, he can't seem to understand why I have to take the birth control pill---he will say something to the effect of--"we're married now, so you don't need to take it". I try to remind him that we both agreed that we would wait so that he can experience every moment of pregnancy and parenthood together (the good and the bad!!) Sometimes the explanation works, sometimes it doesn't. I think that he gets a lot of questions from his friends (ask me why they know I'm on the pill!!?? :huh: ) I also think it may have something to do with the fact that some of his older friends are now new fathers, and its what he wants, it just can't be right now. I just find it frustrating because it turns into unecessary arguments...I'd much rather argue over something else--like why the RASSCLAT phone disconnects every 20 minutes or so!! :ranting::ranting:

Yaad men always try fe breed.

My husband and I talked about it and both want to wait til he is here. I don't want to be pregant by myself. I am already stressed enough by myself. He's made me promise to not let his child grow up without him. However, he has the males in his fam and friends yelling up and down bout when he gwaan breed me. :angry: So maybe your hubby is getting pressure from some folks. It seems ...to me...that having babies is like some status symbol in JA. Don't matter if yuh married and take care of the pickney just to "breed" is more than enough to flex your 'man' muscle. That may be why he goes back and forth on his decision. Just keep reminding him about your decision you 2 made and how hard and stressful it could be on you to take care and have a baby by yourself. Lawd then mention poor lil Kimmy and how hard her pregnancy has been these past weeks. I wouldn't know what to do with myself if I was that sick and alone too! That should make him understand that its also a health and safety issue for you to be pregnant when you have someone around who can take care of you if you need it. :blush:

I would not do well with my husband putting pressure on me because the people around him are hounding him to breed. No, I wouldn't do well with that at all.

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

To the mothers: anyone have children who have good leadership/responsibility qualities? I'm sure I'm doing an adequate job, but I wish my daughter wasn't so lazy. I was wondering to develope these qualities in your children?

BTW the cat ate our bird. The bird will get out of the cage when it was hungry they have been home an entire day and have not even noticed the bird is missing. There were feathers all over the floor and the bird is no wear to be found. I'm going to see how lond time passes before they notice. I told my daughter to feed the bird three days ago, there is no food or water in the dish :wacko:

Mawin Brownie,

Sorry about the bird. It takes times, I'm sure she'll come around. How old is she? My girlfriend's daughter didn't start to get lazy until she turned 15. She's hoping it's a phase and she'll grow out of it. It's gotten so bad, that she has to tell her to take a bath. We took the door off of her bedroom yesterday, because he daughter was just out of control (smoking) in her bedroom. I don't understand how a A student gets to a D student in less thatn 4 months. I think it's her friends, but I told my girlfriends, she needs to step it up or it's going to get out of control, if it hasn't already.

********************************************************************************

....when it hurts to look back and you're scared to look ahead LOOK beside you and I'll be there.....

There comes a point in your life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won't anymore... and who always will.

So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

tep aff a mi name

Timeline
You see it. I NEVER have a boring day!! I love my job but it can be very overwhelming sometimes. I've seen many of people get hurt, I've been called every name in the book, kicked in the tummy- old elderly patient with dementia didn't know what he was doing. :blush: It's a challenge as you know, but I think I was meant to do it, I've been at it for 11 some odd years in some form or another.

I can totally relate - most of my clients were non-verbal, so I wasn't called names - But I have been hit, kicked, bit, punched,... - Had a black eye for my sister's wedding! :lol: Which did not make anyone in my family happy, lol. Despite all that, I truly loved the job - My injury is what made me switch to a legal career - I was so disgusted by what I faced with the worker's comp system. Plus, everyone kept telling me Attorneys / Autistic - not really much of a difference there!

As for the work visa issue - Isn't $4 an hour below minimum wage? Unless she's waitressing or something like that, she should report the employer - they have to at least pay min. wage. I have friends that came up on a work visa - It's a good opportunity for them, but it is also a money making scam for someone - it's unreal what they have to pay.

I would not say something until you find out if things like room & board and transporation are part of the deal and taken out of the pay. And, I've heard of some where they get a bonus every quarter or at the end.

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

Hey there everyone,

Take care everyone !

Love,

Kelly

Hey, Kel. Glad to hear from you.

:ot:

Ladies, (particularly the wives), how does your husband feel about birth control (and judging from the posts recently, I'm not sure how many folx this really applies too!! :lol::lol::lol: ). I ask because my husband confuses me on his thoughts. On the one hand, he says to me that he wants us to wait to have children until he is able to be here and he has a job (smart man...I agree 1000%). A couple of days later, he can't seem to understand why I have to take the birth control pill---he will say something to the effect of--"we're married now, so you don't need to take it". I try to remind him that we both agreed that we would wait so that he can experience every moment of pregnancy and parenthood together (the good and the bad!!) Sometimes the explanation works, sometimes it doesn't. I think that he gets a lot of questions from his friends (ask me why they know I'm on the pill!!?? :huh: ) I also think it may have something to do with the fact that some of his older friends are now new fathers, and its what he wants, it just can't be right now. I just find it frustrating because it turns into unecessary arguments...I'd much rather argue over something else--like why the RASSCLAT phone disconnects every 20 minutes or so!! :ranting::ranting:

Yaad men always try fe breed.

My husband and I talked about it and both want to wait til he is here. I don't want to be pregant by myself. I am already stressed enough by myself. He's made me promise to not let his child grow up without him. However, he has the males in his fam and friends yelling up and down bout when he gwaan breed me. :angry: So maybe your hubby is getting pressure from some folks. It seems ...to me...that having babies is like some status symbol in JA. Don't matter if yuh married and take care of the pickney just to "breed" is more than enough to flex your 'man' muscle. That may be why he goes back and forth on his decision. Just keep reminding him about your decision you 2 made and how hard and stressful it could be on you to take care and have a baby by yourself. Lawd then mention poor lil Kimmy and how hard her pregnancy has been these past weeks. I wouldn't know what to do with myself if I was that sick and alone too! That should make him understand that its also a health and safety issue for you to be pregnant when you have someone around who can take care of you if you need it. :blush:

I would not do well with my husband putting pressure on me because the people around him are hounding him to breed. No, I wouldn't do well with that at all.

JG --

Do you feel better?

tep aff a mi name

Timeline

100% better, Tre. Don't know what happened this weekend, but, whatever I did, it worked. Even managed to go for 2 long walks.

Thanks for asking.

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Saint Lucia
Timeline

Oh That is too bad about the bird!!!

My daughter tends to be lazy at home. I feel like she is so rude to me to. We often argue and she is only 5 years old. My mother says we are so much alike! :-) She will be 6 on the 20th of this month. Sometimes I dont know what to do or say to get her to be a better kid. Then.... I go to a parent teacher conference (she is in K) and her teacher tells me what a wonderful, nice, kind and helpful person she is. It makes me happy to know she hears the things I try to teach her!

I am sure you are doing a woderful job, I think we all may let our kids get away with too much at home. I know she has a more structured day at school. I am always looking for ways to let Tierra know consequences of being lazy. For instance if she leaves things out or on the floor... mommy only picks them up 1 time. And then they never have to be picked up again... cause mommy throws it away. That works most of the time. She is learning about responsibilty.

Maybe the bird's fate will each her a lesson about being lazy!?

June 29 2009: Green Card Received

March 6 2011: Lifting Conditions

June 6 2012: Apply for US Citizenship

fkn0hd.jpg

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Mawning Fam,

I hope everyone is doing well!!! JAEngy...you are ON POINT wid yuh son Chica!! That's exactly how I wouldda handle it! I think he is just having adjustment issues...give him a likkle while fi sttle in! He's had a lot of changes the last year! Tek time Chica and above all PRAY!!! He will be fine!

Luvtravlin...GURL, I AM SO DYAM HAPPY TO HEAR SEH YUH FINALLY GIT DAT DEH MONKEY OFF YOUR BACK!!!!

Ok, Prior K1 filers...QUESTION :ot:-

How many months of phone bills did you take with you to the interview...My initial petition contained ALL of my cell phone bills from Nov.2006-July.2007...Do you think from July 2007-present should be sufficient evidence?

Thanks ladies and have a good day Everyone!!!

As always...LOVE YA (L)(L)(L)(L) ,

Gill

P.S.- Lawny...your Meez is cracking me UP!!!! I guess that's one hairstyle that could work if you continue to be follically challenged! :lol:

Edited by Deyoungting

06/08/08- Married my best friend!

AOS/EAD/AP Applications

12/08/08- Package mailed

12/11/08- Package received at USCIS Chicago lockbox

12/19/08- Check cashed by USCIS

12/27/08-Biometrics appt letter recieved

01/05/09- CRIS email notification-I-485 Case transferred to CSC

01/06/09- Biometrics complete

03/02/09- AP received via USPS

03/05/09- EAD received via USPS

04/27/09- Received CRIS email - Green Card has been ordered on 4/25/09- Petition Approved!!

04/28/09- Received CRIS email 'Welcome Letter' mailed

05/04/2009- Conditional 2 year Green Card received

CF906-K_lg.jpgA heart that loves is 'Forever Young'!CF906-G_lg.jpg

Who JAH bless..no man can curse!!

Another Proud Jamaican Lioness in a wonderful relationship with her Powerful Jamaican Lion!

Timeline
I would not say something until you find out if things like room & board and transporation are part of the deal and taken out of the pay. And, I've heard of some where they get a bonus every quarter or at the end.

I believe that she was paying $150 a month in rent - so that would lead me to believe it wasn't taken out of the pay. I think what's affecting the J1 visas that they typically come up to work on would be the Caps on the H1b and H2b - since the Caps are being reached, companies are trying to go around it and get J1s -

The work visas are a mess - The filing date for the next year H1bs opens as of April 1 - Last year, the quota was reached on the first day it was opened. But, that doesn't mean you have the visa - That means that you got a ticket into the lottery to potentially get one. My company uses H1bs - between now and April 1 is total chaos -

I read an article recently that listed the top users of H1bs - three out of the top 5 were foreign corporations. I am all for immigration - but I have a real issue with the way these visas are handled - The total cost (potentially) to complete and H1B application is around $20,000 or $30,000 - that's attorney's fees, dependent benefits, relocation costs, etc.... - That $20,000 or $30,000 could potentially pay to educate an unemployed US citizen to perform the job.

Everytime I read an article proposing limits to the family based immigration visas it pisses me off - The work visas should be the ones being limited - not family - Instead, the government is giving to corp. America and taking away from the American citizen, as usual.

OK, jumping off my soap box now!

Fire de a Mus Mus tail, him tink a cool breeze

Oh That is too bad about the bird!!!

My daughter tends to be lazy at home. I feel like she is so rude to me to. We often argue and she is only 5 years old. My mother says we are so much alike! :-) She will be 6 on the 20th of this month. Sometimes I dont know what to do or say to get her to be a better kid. Then.... I go to a parent teacher conference (she is in K) and her teacher tells me what a wonderful, nice, kind and helpful person she is. It makes me happy to know she hears the things I try to teach her!

I am sure you are doing a woderful job, I think we all may let our kids get away with too much at home. I know she has a more structured day at school. I am always looking for ways to let Tierra know consequences of being lazy. For instance if she leaves things out or on the floor... mommy only picks them up 1 time. And then they never have to be picked up again... cause mommy throws it away. That works most of the time. She is learning about responsibilty.

Maybe the bird's fate will each her a lesson about being lazy!?

Irie,

How is the weather in Maine today. I'll send you some of our 62 degree SUNSHINE we're having today :lol:

tep aff a mi name

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.