Yaads

Yardies, at home and a farrin' (Part 5)

5,509 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
If have something to say...I am going to say it! Most of us were raised by extremely STRONG Mothers and the days when we stand by and have our man talk for us are LANG GONE!!! When women started joining the workforce in droves ...we had to start speaking up or get pushed dung!

Bless,

Gill

Ok mi cyaan resist...mi muss put inna thoughts pon dis...

I was raised to be very independent and know how to take care of myself. For the most part I raised myself in my early teenage years and beyond. I had to grow up fast and take care of my bro and sis because my parents were so messed up and weren't really around to do the parenting much. So I grew up taking care of myself and not taking any bs. Andre says that he one of the reasons that he was attracted to me in JA was because I could handle myself well and didn't put up with anything...I spoke my mind and stood up for myself. Not sure if that makes me aggressive...it is just the way I am.

I do know that Andre has said many times that he feels like sometimes I don't need him. That I can handle myself and my business and don't have to rely on him for anything. While I do rely on him for many things I guess he is intimidated by the way I take care of business and the resources I have acquired over the years and that I really don't need him to survive, know what I mean?

Well adding my 2 cents....

I think this is a big part of the problem. Many times as independent women we do give off the vibe that we don't need a man for this or for that and we are strong and all this stuff...so when we do get with a man that ideology doesnt just go away. It can be prtrayed to your man....hence him feeling like you don't need him. Every man wants to feel like he is needed by his woman.....don't care where you come from. Yes he may like that you can hold your own and handle your biz...but he also wants to know and feel proud that you can reliquish it all to him and depend on him for a bit. Its just part of being a man. Think about what contitutes 'manhood' to a decent man......taking care of himself and his family, being the provider and protector, his bravado, sex. These are things that are instilled in men from their birth as to what make them a man. We as women have had some sorry men in our lives and essetially taken on the responsibilites that were once solely given to men. Now that we are with a man...and doing everything that he has been told he is supposed to do...well essentially we are dominating his territory...in his house. Most men will have a problem with this. They may not know how to deal with it and then begin to blame the woman and say she is too independent or aggressive or treats him like a child...and I gotta say...some women are all those things...some are not.

I think Jamaican men have this issue even more engrained in them because culturally that is the way things are in JA. Men inherently do not have the same opportunities to flex their manhood as men in the states. So they flex it in the way they know how...one being breeding women up and down im yaad. The other being holding a bit of money in im pocket deh, and shedding a likkle cash pon im baby mama. Culturally these things happen a bit more there and actually shape what a man thinks he should be doing as a man. Of course there are Jamaican men nothing like this...but the idea of being able to lace your woman with some cash feels good to a man.

Again I think its all about understanding ones culture when topic like this come up in your marriage. Lots of times I think people are not compassionate enough to communicate there dislikes and it becomes a bigger issue rather than a misunderstanding.

While I hear what you are saying I must inquire about something...if a man understands that the woman he is marrying is independent and can handle herself why should that change when they get married? Why should he now all of a sudden be intimidated by it? Especially if I am letting him be the man and totally stroking his ego? I understand that some women give off the vibe and really act like they don't need the man...but when the woman isn't acting like that then there really is no need for the man to be intimidated yet sometimes they still are. It really is engrained in them but that doesn't make it right. Hope that made sense...I am writing fast here at work.

Well if it gets all the way to this type of situation then the man obviously has problems. Being independent out of the relationship is different once you are IN a relationship and I think you should act accordingly. Now if in all fairness the woman is truly doing all that she can to show her need and appreication for her husand and he still wants to act up then its him who has bigger problems to combat within himself.

I just think that some women...tend to either baby their men, then get upset when the man start expecting certain things from them, or they treat the man like a child and like he has no brain of his own and cant make his on decisions or mistakes, thus making the man feel like you don't respect his manhood. I think as women we allways wanting our men to grow up and change or do this or do that and we rarely look at the craziness we need to change in ourselves or the way in which we handle our men. As a woman I think we have a tendency to cross the line in being caretaker and partner. As you can see, with all the MIL problems some people have. Classic case of a woman babying her son. Sometimes we don't know to treat our husbands differently from our children.

PUSH!: Pray Until Something Happens!

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Great topics :thumbs: I'll post my experince soon.

But I have question - Is there anything your SO won't do in the house?

Damien and I share the housework. We both clean and do our own laundry. I do majority of the cooking. My daughter does the dishes. However, the first year we lived together he would get so upset when I asked him to take the trash out. I mean we would get into huge drag out fights over the trash....our neighbors knocked on the door once because we were too loud. It wasn't like I woke him up in the middle of the night to take it out or anything like that. He would simply get upset because I asked him....the nerve of me.

be right back...

if i could get him to help more with the laundry we would have so much for time for rooksing pon di weekends :whistle::whistle::dance:

4462482_bodyshot_175x233.gif

Me turn professional panhandler!!! but mi look good, don't??

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
mi a go a my bed too, after i eat some tirmisu (sp) it is a dymn shame, all these years of schooling and i can't spell a fart.

Jengy...you are so not alone on that one! Anythime, I'm sending out correspondence to students and my boss...mi haffi check...double check han all triple check!

Howdy Fam...How's everyone today!

Bless,

Gill

06/08/08- Married my best friend!

AOS/EAD/AP Applications

12/08/08- Package mailed

12/11/08- Package received at USCIS Chicago lockbox

12/19/08- Check cashed by USCIS

12/27/08-Biometrics appt letter recieved

01/05/09- CRIS email notification-I-485 Case transferred to CSC

01/06/09- Biometrics complete

03/02/09- AP received via USPS

03/05/09- EAD received via USPS

04/27/09- Received CRIS email - Green Card has been ordered on 4/25/09- Petition Approved!!

04/28/09- Received CRIS email 'Welcome Letter' mailed

05/04/2009- Conditional 2 year Green Card received

CF906-K_lg.jpgA heart that loves is 'Forever Young'!CF906-G_lg.jpg

Who JAH bless..no man can curse!!

Another Proud Jamaican Lioness in a wonderful relationship with her Powerful Jamaican Lion!

Timeline
where is everyone....I'M BORED....!!!!

I'm :reading: .

Y'all been chatting so much lately...I'm trying to catch up.

My lovely husband ordered phone serivce from another company without thinking about our high speed DSL connection...well the two don't work together so we're without a house phone and the internet :wacko: Hopefully we'll have service tomorrow.

A lady on my job called herself telling on me about being on the internet. My boss told me to watch my back. She doesn't care because she knows my work ethnics but still....doesn't that lady knows snitches get stitches :bonk:

I sneak on a few times a day and during my lunch hour.

Oh wow no she didn't :angry: I know me and my short temper would be having a chat with her real soon about being in my business :whistle:

"doesn't that lady knows snitches get stitches" Maybe she don't know but mek mi tell har!!

Edited by Sonshyne

USCIS

06-28-2011-Mailed I-130

07-03-2011-NOA1

12-08-2011-NOA2

NVC

12-19-2012-NVC Received Case

01-06-2012-Case Number

01-25-2012-Case Completed

02-21-2012-Medical

03-06-2012-Interview--APPROVED

03-13-2012-VISA RECEIVED

03-16-2012-POE ATL

ROC

02/24/2014-Mailed I-751

02/26/2014-Package Received

02/28/2014-NOA1 Hard Copy

02/28/2014-Check Cashed

03/25/2014-Biometrics Appt

06/04/2014-RFE Sent more info back on 07/29/2014

09/04/2014 ROC Approved

Timeline
If have something to say...I am going to say it! Most of us were raised by extremely STRONG Mothers and the days when we stand by and have our man talk for us are LANG GONE!!! When women started joining the workforce in droves ...we had to start speaking up or get pushed dung!

Bless,

Gill

I was raised to be very independent and know how to take care of myself. For the most part I raised myself in my early teenage years and beyond. I had to grow up fast and take care of my bro and sis because my parents were so messed up and weren't really around to do the parenting much. So I grew up taking care of myself and not taking any bs. Andre says that he one of the reasons that he was attracted to me in JA was because I could handle myself well and didn't put up with anything...I spoke my mind and stood up for myself. Not sure if that makes me aggressive...it is just the way I am.

I do know that Andre has said many times that he feels like sometimes I don't need him. That I can handle myself and my business and don't have to rely on him for anything. While I do rely on him for many things I guess he is intimidated by the way I take care of business and the resources I have acquired over the years and that I really don't need him to survive, know what I mean?

I think this is a big part of the problem. Many times as independent women we do give off the vibe that we don't need a man for this or for that and we are strong and all this stuff...so when we do get with a man that ideology doesnt just go away. It can be prtrayed to your man....hence him feeling like you don't need him. Every man wants to feel like he is needed by his woman.....don't care where you come from. Yes he may like that you can hold your own and handle your biz...but he also wants to know and feel proud that you can reliquish it all to him and depend on him for a bit. Its just part of being a man. Think about what contitutes 'manhood' to a decent man......taking care of himself and his family, being the provider and protector, his bravado, sex. These are things that are instilled in men from their birth as to what make them a man. We as women have had some sorry men in our lives and essetially taken on the responsibilites that were once solely given to men. Now that we are with a man...and doing everything that he has been told he is supposed to do...well essentially we are dominating his territory...in his house. Most men will have a problem with this. They may not know how to deal with it and then begin to blame the woman and say she is too independent or aggressive or treats him like a child...and I gotta say...some women are all those things...some are not.

I think Jamaican men have this issue even more engrained in them because culturally that is the way things are in JA. Men inherently do not have the same opportunities to flex their manhood as men in the states. So they flex it in the way they know how...one being breeding women up and down im yaad. The other being holding a bit of money in im pocket deh, and shedding a likkle cash pon im baby mama. Culturally these things happen a bit more there and actually shape what a man thinks he should be doing as a man. Of course there are Jamaican men nothing like this...but the idea of being able to lace your woman with some cash feels good to a man.

Again I think its all about understanding ones culture when topic like this come up in your marriage. Lots of times I think people are not compassionate enough to communicate there dislikes and it becomes a bigger issue rather than a misunderstanding.

While I hear what you are saying I must inquire about something...if a man understands that the woman he is marrying is independent and can handle herself why should that change when they get married? Why should he now all of a sudden be intimidated by it? Especially if I am letting him be the man and totally stroking his ego? I understand that some women give off the vibe and really act like they don't need the man...but when the woman isn't acting like that then there really is no need for the man to be intimidated yet sometimes they still are. It really is engrained in them but that doesn't make it right. Hope that made sense...I am writing fast here at work.

Well if it gets all the way to this type of situation then the man obviously has problems. Being independent out of the relationship is different once you are IN a relationship and I think you should act accordingly. Now if in all fairness the woman is truly doing all that she can to show her need and appreication for her husand and he still wants to act up then its him who has bigger problems to combat within himself.

I just think that some women...tend to either baby their men, then get upset when the man start expecting certain things from them, or they treat the man like a child and like he has no brain of his own and cant make his on decisions or mistakes, thus making the man feel like you don't respect his manhood. I think as women we allways wanting our men to grow up and change or do this or do that and we rarely look at the craziness we need to change in ourselves or the way in which we handle our men. As a woman I think we have a tendency to cross the line in being caretaker and partner. As you can see, with all the MIL problems some people have. Classic case of a woman babying her son. Sometimes we don't know to treat our husbands differently from our children.

yup, he is who he is, always remember that, and men ususally tell u what they are about in the first week of the relationship, we as women tend not to listen. but that is a next topic

Timeline
yup, he is who he is, always remember that, and men ususally tell u what they are about in the first week of the relationship, we as women tend not to listen. but that is a next topic

So very true :thumbs:

USCIS

06-28-2011-Mailed I-130

07-03-2011-NOA1

12-08-2011-NOA2

NVC

12-19-2012-NVC Received Case

01-06-2012-Case Number

01-25-2012-Case Completed

02-21-2012-Medical

03-06-2012-Interview--APPROVED

03-13-2012-VISA RECEIVED

03-16-2012-POE ATL

ROC

02/24/2014-Mailed I-751

02/26/2014-Package Received

02/28/2014-NOA1 Hard Copy

02/28/2014-Check Cashed

03/25/2014-Biometrics Appt

06/04/2014-RFE Sent more info back on 07/29/2014

09/04/2014 ROC Approved

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
i think that what u are saying would be valid in most situations, but in most of our situations, these men have no idea what america is all about. mr jengles won't stop saying that he doesn't want me to work even now that he is here. if they see us in their environment all the time, when they come into our environment, they are still bringing their ideas/culture with them.

To me a man does what needs to be done. period. My needs are different, now not saying it may not take a while for his to see that, but the need is there, fill that need and we will be golden. and as for stroking ego's, wish somebody could stroke mine.

Thats true and I definitely think there is a grace/adjustment period but if things are still the same way a couple years in without any adaption/compromise etc...then that is what causes the problem.

Yeah stroking of the egos definitely needs to be a two way street :yes:

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

That is all very true :yes:

Timeline
well some good news....i got a call from Senator Spector's office today about mike's green card...they got a call from the cali center and we should get in within 2 weeks....all i have to say is thank GOD!!!! less paperwork that has to be done....such a relief!

:dance::dance::dance: Congrats Nans!!!! :dance::dance::dance:

Gurl...that it takes damn near a year to get a Green Card is scaring me!!

Bless,

Gill

AOS/EAD/AP Applications

12/08/08- Package mailed

04/27/09- Received CRIS email - Green Card has been ordered on 4/25/09- Petition Approved!!

Another Proud Jamaican Lioness in a wonderful relationship with her Powerful Jamaican Lion!

Timeline
i think that what u are saying would be valid in most situations, but in most of our situations, these men have no idea what america is all about. mr jengles won't stop saying that he doesn't want me to work even now that he is here. if they see us in their environment all the time, when they come into our environment, they are still bringing their ideas/culture with them.

To me a man does what needs to be done. period. My needs are different, now not saying it may not take a while for his to see that, but the need is there, fill that need and we will be golden. and as for stroking ego's, wish somebody could stroke mine.

Thats true and I definitely think there is a grace/adjustment period but if things are still the same way a couple years in without any adaption/compromise etc...then that is what causes the problem.

Yeah stroking of the egos definitely needs to be a two way street :yes:

years!!! mi almost drop off mi chair..yes as JaEnglish would say Houston we have a problem

Timeline

Bless,

Gill

AMEN sistah Lita

MOTIVATE A CHILD... SUPPORT OPEN ARMS FOR JAMAICA'S FUTURE, INC. WE NEED A BRIGHTER TOMORROW !!!!!!

Timeline
:o The back of :cry: our cashed check had the CSC :thumbs::dance::crying::jest: I don't want to count my eggs before they hatch but......I'm hoping this means we won't get an interview!!!

Congrats brownnskinn.

:time:

Are you lifting conditions? When did you send the application?

SORRY BROWNIE CONGRATS CHICA!!!!

AOS/EAD/AP Applications

12/08/08- Package mailed

Timeline
if i could get him to help more with the laundry we would have so much for time for rooksing pon di weekends :whistle::whistle::dance:

:devil: Mek im knoa dat Jengy! :yes::devil:

girl wha u a sey, mi tell him yesterday :blush::blush::blush:

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Kimmy, have you tried Ginger? That's a great way to settle your stomach. If you can find a chinese market (I know there is one on Hope St in Stamford next to CVS), they sell ginger chews - you can also find Ginger tea. My friend is going through chemo right now, and if she tries to eat it comes back - if she drinks a cup of ginger tea or eats a chew first, she can keep the food down.

Fire de a Mus Mus tail, him tink a cool breeze

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.