Yaads

Yardies, at home and a farrin' (Part 5)

5,509 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Thanks everyone. I haven't seen my honey since Sept so the hormones are jumping....lol Has anyone been to Evita's in Ochi? It's an Italian/Jamaican mix restaurant. I plan on taking Ray there for his birthday...

I was at Evita's back on my Sept. trip and the setting is nice....some of items are a little overpriced (I think) for any of their "American" dishes but the portions are a really good size. They have some guy playing the piano while you're eating and dave wasn't feeling him at all but other than that it's a great place to sit, eat and overlook Ochi at nightime. I've been there a few other times with my girls and it was decent.

The dress is casual and dinner for two is around $100. Take a lesson from me, don't let anyone say you can "Walk" there and let them drop u off at the bottom of the hill (it's a little ways up from Fisherman's point on the way to the RIU) because me and my girls did that two years ago and it took us about 20 minutes to walk up there on a hill that was more like a Cliff!!! :lol:

Me and dave took a cab up when we went so I didn't have to take my shoes off to walk up that crazy A** hill! :lol:

Thanks everyone. I haven't seen my honey since Sept so the hormones are jumping....lol Has anyone been to Evita's in Ochi? It's an Italian/Jamaican mix restaurant. I plan on taking Ray there for his birthday...

I was at Evita's back on my Sept. trip and the setting is nice....some of items are a little overpriced (I think) for any of their "American" dishes but the portions are a really good size. They have some guy playing the piano while you're eating and dave wasn't feeling him at all but other than that it's a great place to sit, eat and overlook Ochi at nightime. I've been there a few other times with my girls and it was decent.

The dress is casual and dinner for two is around $100. Take a lesson from me, don't let anyone say you can "Walk" there and let them drop u off at the bottom of the hill (it's a little ways up from Fisherman's point on the way to the RIU) because me and my girls did that two years ago and it took us about 20 minutes to walk up there on a hill that was more like a Cliff!!! :lol:

Me and dave took a cab up when we went so I didn't have to take my shoes off to walk up that crazy A** hill! :lol:

Thanks for the info Tnw.. I don't mind paying top dollar as long as the food is good. I'll play it by ear and see where we end up. I may just go with my first plan and have a picnic lunch on the beach....

ROC

Filed at Vermont Service Center

ROC Filing date:--------08-02-2011

Express Mail card recd stating package was recd on: 08-03-2011

NOA1 rec'd dated:-------08-04-2011

Check Cashed:-----------08-08-2011

Biometrics Appt scheduled for: ----09-23-2011

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How does one deal with SO's unrealistic expectations?

My husband does not have a degree, yet he thinks he is going to get some top dollar job. I have located several jobs, and each time he refuses to apply. I saw a position at Greyhound cleaning the bus. The pay is $9.48 per hour. What is the problem? I wouldn't pressure him as much if he was in school. Every time I make a suggestion, he says "Lemme do mi own ting." I am about to pull my hair out. He has his EAD and SS card; therefore, there is no excuse. Does any one have any suggestions/insight?

I would venture a guess that he sees some jobs as menial....I would do almost ANYTHING before I took a cleaning job, work in McDonald's etc etc....The majority of Jamaicans I know would again take a cleaning job as a last resort....I would think your husband had the expectation of getting a job that was similar to the one he had in Jamaica, while his job may not have paid much, it still wasn't 'low status'....

Ask him about jobs such as warehouse packer, driver etc.....All of those would probably be ok as far as his pride goes, he probably doesn't want a job like waiter, cleaner, janitor bellboy etc....

Not disparaging those who take those jobs, just saying that it can be a matter of pride....

Naturalization

Son's N-400 Timeline

08/14/2020 - Sent N-400 and I-912 waiver to TX lockbox

09/18/2020 - NOA via text

06/05/2021 - Notification of biometrics scheduled

09/17/2021 - Interview - decision cannot be made

11/24/2021 - Denial letter, 30 days to appeal

12/24/2021 - Appeal sent back with I-912 waiver

12/24/2021 - Motion to terminate deportation proceedings from 2013 filed

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Congrats Mrs. Scott! I can only wish that I can pay $6 to add Ray to my insurance when he comes to the states. I warned him already about not being able to drive crazy like they do in Jamaica. I told him that it's very hard to talk or pay your way out of a ticket in the states. He'll see when he gets here....

ROC

Filed at Vermont Service Center

ROC Filing date:--------08-02-2011

Express Mail card recd stating package was recd on: 08-03-2011

NOA1 rec'd dated:-------08-04-2011

Check Cashed:-----------08-08-2011

Biometrics Appt scheduled for: ----09-23-2011

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
How does one deal with SO's unrealistic expectations?

My husband does not have a degree, yet he thinks he is going to get some top dollar job. I have located several jobs, and each time he refuses to apply. I saw a position at Greyhound cleaning the bus. The pay is $9.48 per hour. What is the problem? I wouldn't pressure him as much if he was in school. Every time I make a suggestion, he says "Lemme do mi own ting." I am about to pull my hair out. He has his EAD and SS card; therefore, there is no excuse. Does any one have any suggestions/insight?

I would venture a guess that he sees some jobs as menial....I would do almost ANYTHING before I took a cleaning job, work in McDonald's etc etc....The majority of Jamaicans I know would again take a cleaning job as a last resort....I would think your husband had the expectation of getting a job that was similar to the one he had in Jamaica, while his job may not have paid much, it still wasn't 'low status'....

Ask him about jobs such as warehouse packer, driver etc.....All of those would probably be ok as far as his pride goes, he probably doesn't want a job like waiter, cleaner, janitor bellboy etc....

Not disparaging those who take those jobs, just saying that it can be a matter of pride....

JAE makes a good point. The status thing is a huge deal. However, here in the States being a waiter can pay big bucks depending on where you work. I would compare apples to apples for him and show him the added benfits of one of those jobs here in the States...like say...the pay could be 10x more than what he would've been paid for a job like that in JA, plus he's getting benefits like medical and such. I know I wouldn't want to take a cleaning job if i felt like i really didnt have to. If he feels like the income issue isn't that big of a deal right now, he's prob just holding out for something a bit better. now if you are struggling...then he's gotta suck it up and hold his family down....no excuses.

PUSH!: Pray Until Something Happens!

Timeline
Congrats Mrs. Scott! I can only wish that I can pay $6 to add Ray to my insurance when he comes to the states. I warned him already about not being able to drive crazy like they do in Jamaica. I told him that it's very hard to talk or pay your way out of a ticket in the states. He'll see when he gets here....

My husbnd doesn't drive...thank God!! I wonder how much it'll be to add him to my insurance. he's gonna have to take a drivers training class here first. i think thats the best for him to get used to the roads.

just thought about this....do you know that sometimes i forget what side of the street to drive on?! :blink: its cause i have the image of Jamaican roads in my head sometimes so I have a quick lapse of memory and confusion when driving and at times I don't know what side of the street I should be on...i know crazy.

PUSH!: Pray Until Something Happens!

My husbnd doesn't drive...thank God!! I wonder how much it'll be to add him to my insurance. he's gonna have to take a drivers training class here first. i think thats the best for him to get used to the roads.

just thought about this....do you know that sometimes i forget what side of the street to drive on?! :blink: its cause i have the image of Jamaican roads in my head sometimes so I have a quick lapse of memory and confusion when driving and at times I don't know what side of the street I should be on...i know crazy.

To all those thinking about adding their SO's to their insurance, it may work better if you have a family policy with your spouse included....That way you won't have to 'declare' them....My husband added me free :)

We're with State Farm.

Naturalization

Son's N-400 Timeline

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Ok I need some help :help:

Gill got me hooked on "Strictly Da Best" Cd's. They are fantastic! Anyways I really like this artist "Alaine". I want to get her CD but I can't find it on the net anywhere really. I found one copy out of the UK for like $28 plus a whole lot in shipping. How come the cd isn't available easier? Even her record label - VP records doesn't sell her CD on their website. What is up with that? Anyways - anyone know where I can get a copy that won't cost an arm and a leg?

Yes $3.99 WWW.AUDIOMAXXX.COM you can download it to ur computer and burn it or either have them mail it to u they have sale going on now i have her CD. I think shipping is free right now but not sure when that ends.

JALOVE - I'm not a big fan of audiomaxx. I've ordered from them once and received a CD that were burnt and not of authentic quality. BUT the price is right.

If anyone wants Alaine's CD straight from VP Records here's the link: Alaine - Sacrifice

I would second that.....While I can't deny I do download stuff, Audiomaxx are WELL known for taking artist's stuff, SELLING it on their website and giving the artist NONE of the royalities.....Even Vybez Kartel made a song dissing that site.....Hate them

wow really i had no idea :( now i feel bad!!!

K-1 2007

Mailed off Application April 27

Approved August 10

Interview Oct 16

Arrived NYC JFK Oct 27

AOS 2008

1/28 mailed AOS package

2/19 Case xfer to California Service Center

2/27 Biometrics 9AM Newark

3/14 APPLICATION FOR USCIS TRAVEL DOCUMENT approval notice sent

3/19 EAD approved/Card production ordered

6/12 AOS approved &Card producition ordered

6/12 Perm. Res. Card RCVD.

Naturalization 2017

Service Center :Dallas/Lewisville TX Lockbox

CIS Office :Oakland Park FL

Date Filed :3/13/17

NOA Date :3/20/17

Bio. Appt. :3/27/17

In Line for Interview: 4/18

Whats a family policy? Family policy versus what?

sorry, it`s a `household` policy I meant....covers your spouse and dependents in the house....Not sure if you have to have full coverage in order to have it.

Naturalization

Son's N-400 Timeline

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

sorry, it`s a `household` policy I meant....covers your spouse and dependents in the house....Not sure if you have to have full coverage in order to have it.

Wow English; I love, love this picture of your little boy. He is sooooo cute. :yes::yes:

Support "OPEN ARMS FOR JAMAICA'S FUTURE" Help a child go to school

Timeline

Wow English; I love, love this picture of your little boy. He is sooooo cute. :yes::yes:

Me too! What a cutie!!

I-130 Timeline

04/10/09 - I130 Sent

04/14/09 - I130 Received

04/22/09 - Check Cashed

04/22/09 - NOA1 Hardcopy Received

08/13/09 - Touch

08/24/09 - RFE Email

08/27/09 - RFE Hardcopy Received

09/11/09 - Evidence sent to CSC

09/16/09 - Evidence Received by CSC

09/20/09 - Touch...on a Sunday???

09/25/09 - NOA2 Hardcopy Received. Dated 9/18

NVC Timeline

10/01/09 - NVC Case Number Assigned

10/02/09 - DS3023 & I-864 Bill Generated

10/02/09 - Paid I-864 fee online

10/03/09 - DS3032 Emailed

10/13/09 - Sent I-864 Packet

10/14/09 - NVC Received I-864 Packet

10/20/09 - I-864 Received via AVR

10/22/09 - IV Bill Generated

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Check this out i was just on the sams carribean site its talking about some way to call to the carribean all u want or for them to call you for 40 a month

http://www.sams247.com/detail.aspx?ID=15691

K-1 2007

Mailed off Application April 27

Approved August 10

Interview Oct 16

Arrived NYC JFK Oct 27

AOS 2008

1/28 mailed AOS package

2/19 Case xfer to California Service Center

2/27 Biometrics 9AM Newark

3/14 APPLICATION FOR USCIS TRAVEL DOCUMENT approval notice sent

3/19 EAD approved/Card production ordered

6/12 AOS approved &Card producition ordered

6/12 Perm. Res. Card RCVD.

Naturalization 2017

Service Center :Dallas/Lewisville TX Lockbox

CIS Office :Oakland Park FL

Date Filed :3/13/17

NOA Date :3/20/17

Bio. Appt. :3/27/17

In Line for Interview: 4/18

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Thanks for the info Tnw.. I don't mind paying top dollar as long as the food is good. I'll play it by ear and see where we end up. I may just go with my first plan and have a picnic lunch on the beach....

I vote for the picnic lunch on the beach :devil:

K-1 Timeline

Oct.5th, 2007 - Filed I-129F VSC Express Mail

Oct.12th, 2007 - NOA1 Hardcopy

Dec.14th, 2007 - Rec'd No Impediment and extras of Birth Certif. by mail

Jan. 31st, 2008 - NOA2 Hardcopy sent out from VSC

Feb. 5th, 2008 - NVC Receives Our Case

Feb.7th, 2008 - Got KNG# and Hardcopy of NOA2 in the Mail

Feb. 26th, 2008 - Dropped off DS230 Part I, Rec'd Packet 3; Filed for Police Report

Feb. 28th, 2008 - Rec'd Email from Embassy that Interview scheduled

April 1st, 2008 - Interview @ 1:30pm- APPROVED!!!

May 20th, 2008 - U.S. Entry at JFK w/ work stamp

June 13th, 2008 - SS# Received

June 19th, 2008 - Started work w/ JFK EAD

August 11th, 2008 - Wedding

AOS Timeline

Oct. 3rd, 2008 - Submitted AOS/ EAD/ AP Packet

Oct. 6th, 2008 - AOS Packet Rec'd at USCIS Xpress Mail

Oct. 13th, 2008 - NOA1 Rec'd

Oct. 27th, 2008 - Case Trsf to CSC

Nov. 1st, 2008 - Biometrics Appt.

Dec. 10, 2008 - EAD/AP Approved

Dec. 17, 2008 - Received EAD/AP : )

Filed: Timeline

GOOD' NITE all,

Dang ya'll talking about auto/health insurance...fi mi mine no even reach so far yet...lawd ave mercy. Only thing I'm worried about is the driving...my fiance (I've had to SLAP him in the back of his head a few times while I was there in November)...he drive too damn fast...and I told him it's so different here...I can't wait to drive him on the beltway in MD...which is not bad for those who can relate, beause it's always jammed up...but I want to drive take him for a ride on the BELT PARKWAY in Queens...I've done that for a few of my male friends who came up (now the respect the road)...

Unu sleep good...mi ago drink mi stone ginger wine

********************************************************************************

....when it hurts to look back and you're scared to look ahead LOOK beside you and I'll be there.....

There comes a point in your life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won't anymore... and who always will.

So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

6002239865101_1_27247687.jpg (cost of the IMMIGRATION PROCESS)

tep aff a mi name

Filed: Timeline
Ok people don't kill me. But i've never been able to get into MO Bay...Negril was nice, but nothing really going on but the beach...I LOVE Ochi, cyan just walk out and u in the middle of things...that hip strip is boring, where do u all hang out when u go there??? Ya'll talking bout places and i'm like where is that. I like mixing up with people when I go to JA.

I like going to the Dead End Beach in Mo Bay! Across the street, they have a likkle restaurant there and billards table wid music at night! It's nice, everyone a hang-out and enjoy the vibes. I also like Pier 1 or the club above The Pelican on a Friday night and The Ville on Thursday. A nice likkle club in Falmouth on Saturday night. Sunday we usually go to Sunday Breeze in Long Bay. I like MoBay...I am definitely a 'MoBay' Girl!

Negril was nice too! I REALLY LIKED Scrub-A-Dub/Striptease...that place was OFF THE HOOK! Trust me, if you go to Negril in the next few months tek yuh Man...they will appreci-RATE it!! :thumbs: Especially the Go-Go dancers....it's not gully or grimmy...it's just fun...wid good vibes. Ken dared me to stick a dollar bill inna dem g-string...he must have forgotten who he was wid. :no: ..I went right up there and DID IT!! :lol::lol: They also have a pool upstairs on the roof!

Bless,

Gill

lol lol rub a dub striptease and car wash lol hahahah that is funny that sign i be crackin up lol that is in negril right them girl be climbing up all the way to the roof on the pole there is a very small/short (i dont want to say the wrong word ) man at one of those clubs ok im have to PM you hahah

yes dead end bar i hear they remodeled there is always this older man in there playing drums or somethin they say he is from TX he came to the island a while back and he still there pelican cost too much! but have good blended fruit punch market day in falmouth i enjoyed that shopping

Oh the Pelican...thats the name of the restaurant....yes it do cost alot...more like US prices than JA ones...but the food is yummy. I like the fruit punches too. :thumbs:

Never ate at the Pelican...but the club upstairs( The Brewery...Thanks Mrs. Scott :thumbs: ) was off the CHAIN!!! That was were Ken & I went on our second date! Bwoy, mi pudung a pissa dancin' dat night! That's when I knew I was fallin' for this guy...cause I was SWEATIN' and he would just tek out his rag and wipe my face! :lol::lol::lol::wub:

LOL Lita, wid the pool place!!! :lol::lol: Wi doan knoa yuh a 'Crazy Yankee Gurl' LANG time! :lol::lol:

Love ya,

Gill

Gill,

You always got me cracking up. I go to Pier 1 or the ville when I'm in MoBay, back in the day I use to go to Disco Inferno...Margaritville in Ocho is nice on Wenesday night so is Amensia. Gill, I have alot of family in Linstead, some place dem call deadend gully what a name. I bascially have family every where. When I met Marcel I had to make sure I was not related to him, so the next day, I told him when he came to pick me up he had to go meet my grandmothers and my grandaunts and granduncles. Found out that his aunts and uncles on his dad's side went to school in Falmouth with my mom and dad; and his grandmother use to sell in Falmouth square with my grandmother. Jamaica is not a big Island, and I've ran into plenty of people that I've met in passing, that I've linked up with again.

They use to have a club in Mobay or was it Ochi called FOWSEY rub'up...I need not say more. I have to break out my dancehall pictures...well, maybe if I get up enough guts. I don't want ya'll falling out your seats from laughter.

********************************************************************************

....when it hurts to look back and you're scared to look ahead LOOK beside you and I'll be there.....

There comes a point in your life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won't anymore... and who always will.

So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

6002239865101_1_27247687.jpg (cost of the IMMIGRATION PROCESS)

tep aff a mi name

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.