MrsAmera

Thanksgiving Recipes

61 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

So I love to cook as you all know. This Thanksgiving might just be me, the hubby and possibly my cousin who is stationed in DC with the Marines. So I've never made THanksgiving dinner before! So far I have a basic little menu put together:

1) Herb Roasted Turkey Breast with Pan Gravy, stuffed with a pistachio herb stuffing

2) Appetizers of: Hot olives with citrus and spice, marcona almonds and paprika toasted chickpeas

3) Sweet Potatoes with Pecan and (hala) marshmallow streusel

4) Butternut dumplings with brown butter and sage

5) Classic garlicky mashed potatoes

- so no idea for dessert or vegetable sides......green beans or corn I'm thinking....

May 11 '09 - Case Approved 10 yr card in the mail

June - 10 yr card recieved

Feb. 19, 2010 - N-400 Application sent to Phoenix Lockbox

April 3, 2010 - Biometrics

May 17,2010 - Citizenship Test - Minneapolis, MN

July 16, 2010- Retest (writing portion)

October 13, 2010 - Oath Ceremony

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay you are gonna have to give up the receipe for the butternut squash dumplings. please? ;)

erfoud44.jpg

24 March 2009 I-751 received by USCIS

27 March 2009 Check Cashed

30 March 2009 NOA received

8 April 2009 Biometric notice arrived by mail

24 April 2009 Biometrics scheduled

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

1 September 2009 (just over 5 months) Approved and card production ordered.

Filed: Other Country: Morocco
Timeline

I saw a recipe for oven roasted caramelized brussel sprouts, you coat them with olive oil, salt pepper, cumin and I think a dash of cayenne then roasted them in a super hot oven until they are golden. I love brussel sprouts and I thought it looked so darn good, let me look around online and see if I can find it.

and yes those butternut dumplings sound super good. so do the paprika toasted chickpeas, I think my husband would be ALL over that :)

Edited by sara535

Photo1949-1.jpg

5GTLm7.png

I saw a recipe for oven roasted caramelized brussel sprouts, you coat them with olive oil, salt pepper, cumin and I think a dash of cayenne then roasted them in a super hot oven until they are golden. I love brussel sprouts and I thought it looked so darn good, let me look around online and see if I can find it.

and yes those butternut dumplings sound super good. so do the paprika toasted chickpeas, I think my husband would be ALL over that :)

brussel prouts are one of the few foods that I just cant bring myself to eat. i think because I have never had them prepared well. Your recipe sounds interesting. Do you use fresh or frozen? I think if they were fresh and were not over cooked I might try them...maybe :unsure:

erfoud44.jpg

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

Timeline

will post dumplings and chickpeas after lunch :)

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

i've done the roasted brussels sprouts thing many times for my previous client. just get fresh (baby ones are even better), toss them lightly in evoo, salt, and pepper (cumin or any spice you like would be good too) then put them in one layer on a sheet pan, and roast at say...450 degrees until golden. stir them around once in a while. sooo much better than plain boiled!

your menu sounds awesome, amera! i'm not cooking this year (going to someone else's house) i hope its as good as yours! :D

"It's far better to be alone than wish you were." - Ann Landers

world-map.jpg

i've done the roasted brussels sprouts thing many times for my previous client. just get fresh (baby ones are even better), toss them lightly in evoo, salt, and pepper (cumin or any spice you like would be good too) then put them in one layer on a sheet pan, and roast at say...450 degrees until golden. stir them around once in a while. sooo much better than plain boiled!

your menu sounds awesome, amera! i'm not cooking this year (going to someone else's house) i hope its as good as yours! :D

Okay you guys have convinced me i am going to have to give brussel sprouts another chance. Anything has to be better than those over boiled sprouts from my childhood!

erfoud44.jpg

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

Filed: Other Country: Egypt
Timeline

In our family tradition, the main dessert for thanksgiving has always been: Peach Cobbler.

But I saw on tv (Food Network), Paula Deen made an Apple Butter Pumpkin Pie that looked easy to make and yummy!

ok, now I'm hungry :lol: .

eg-flag1-ss.gifAkramheartbeat.gifAyeshapr-flag1-ss.gif

th_CIMG0624.jpg

I am making the traditional Thanksgiving dinner. I have been cooking the family Thanksgiving for 20 years and everyone insists that I have it. I do have a request from Phillip who is from the UK - this is his first Thanksgiving. He would like me to make Chestnut Stuffing. Anyone have a recipe for that?

Before dinner, I always have appetizers like cheese, crackers, olives and this year I am going to make an avacado dip and a Chipolte dip.

My dinner will be:

Turkey

Traditional Stuffing

Chestnut Stuffing (I hope)

Mashed Potatoes

Sweet Potatoes with Marshmellows

Green Beans with Cream of Mushroom Soup and Fried Onions

Wheat and White Biscuits

Cheesy Biscuits

Pumpkin Pie

Apple Pie

Wine

After dinner, I am planning on making Chai Nog tea. Make Chai tea and add about 3 tablespoons of Eggnog, top with whipped topping and sprinkle a bit of cinnamon on top. Dig in. Mmmmmmm

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

my best recipe for an excellent thanksgiving dinner is to stay outta the kitchen and out of nessa's way. :thumbs:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

I wanna do something new with my turkey this year. I want to use lemon and oregano and olive oil, very similar to a chicken dish I make quite often. No one in my family is a big fan of gravy or traditional thanksgiving fare, I think I'm gonna put an ethnic spin on each dish except candied yams :wub: Anyone have tips for me?

VJ Hours - I am available M-F from 10am - 5pm PST. I will occasionaly put in some OT for a fairly good poo slinging thread or a donut.

We are planning on having a few people over for Thanksgiving (10 - 12). Here is what we have planned so far:

finger foods

shrimp

crackers

assorted cheeses

caviar

smoked salmon

olives

vegetable tray and dip (carrots/brocolli/celery/cherry tomatos)

pork and shrimp lumpia

assorted nuts

main dishes

deep fried turkey

rottiserie chicken

spare ribs

ham

sides

mashed potatos

turkey gravy

bread rolls

candied yams

dressing

cranberry sauce

green bean casserole

pancit canton

desserts

pumpkin pie

pecan pie

chocolate cream pie

babinka with jackfruit

Edited by john_and_marlene

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

Timeline

Paprika Toasted Chick Peas

-2 15oz cans chickpeas drained and rinsed

-2 tsp smoked paprika

-salt and pepper

Place chickpeas in a medium skillet over the medium heat and cook 15 minutes until crisp and dry. In the last 5 minutes, season the chickpeas with paprika, salt and pepper. If they are seasoned too soon, the paprika will blacken and become bitter. Place them in a small serving bowl.

Butternut Dumplings with Brown Butter and Sage

-1 1/2 sm butternut squash halved and seeded

-4 med baking potatoes pierced

- 1 egg

- 1 1/2 tbsp kosher salt

- 1 pinch nutmeg

- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour plus additional for dusting

Oil

- 1 bunch sage, leaves chiffonade

8 tbsp unsalted butter

1/2 c grated Parmesan

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

On a sheet pan, place the squash flesh side down and roast until very tender (about 45 minutes). At the same time, bake potatoes directly on the rack of oven 1 hour. Split potatoes and allow to cool slightly, or until they can be handled. Don't let them cool completely. Scoop out the flesh of the potatoes and the squash into a bowl and mash.

Mix in the egg, salt and nutmeg. Then add the flour and mix until a soft dough forms. Do not do this in a mixer - it will overwork dough. Add flour by the spoonful if it's too moist.

Turn out onto a floured board and divide into 8 portions. Roll out into ropes and cut into 1/2 in pieces. LIne the pieces up on a floured sheet pan as you work. At this point you could freeze them on the pan until solid, transfer to ziplocs and freeze if you don't want to use all.

In a large pot of boiling salted water gently drop in dumplings - make sure not to crowd or they will mush together. When they float remove and put into an ice bath. Drain off the water and toss in a little oil and store loosely in containers until ready to use.

To reheat, in a saute pan on high heat add 1 tbsp of soft butter. Cook until butter foams and turns brown. Add 2 tsp sage leaves and 1c dumplings. Cook for an additional minute until dumplings are heated through. Repeat until you have desired amount. Plate with freshly grated Parmesan.

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

Glazed Roast Turkey with Cranberry Stuffing

http://www.bettycrocker.com/Recipes/Recipe...?recipeId=35645

Herb-Scented Roast Turkey with Cornbread Stuffing

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/recipe...earchResultPage

Impossibly Easy Pumpkin Pie

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/recipe...earchResultPage

Chestnut stuffing search results (This one was asked for)

http://search.foodnetwork.com/food/recipe/...archType=Recipe

Apple Butter Pumpkin Pie

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/re...6_32337,00.html

Green Bean Casserole

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/re...6_30136,00.html

Ok these are some of the recipes that I make and since this was a recipe thread I wanted to share and hope that others will also post recipies so that I can try some new ones.

Jul 20, 2006 Arrived in Amman, Jordan

Jul 24, 2006 Married in Amman, Jordan

Oct 11, 2006 I130 Approval Oct. 26, 2006 I129F Approval

Nov. 8, 2006 Recieved letter that I-129 was sent to Amman, Jordan

Dec 13, 2006 Recieved Package from Amman Embassy for K3 Intreview date Aug. 15,2007

Mar 05,2007 Embassy called interview scheduled for March 19th

Mar 19, 2007 Interview for K3- AP

May 20, 2007 Embassy called for Hasan to send in his passport!!!

May 24, 2007 Recieved Interview date of June 5th for CR1?

June 05, 2007 Interviewed and she said he was approved, kept passport and said will recieve in 4 days.

June 12, 2007 VISA IN HAND !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 21, 2007 Hasan arrived in the USA and so very happy!

June 26, 2007 Applied for SSN

July 06, 2007 SSN in hand

July 25, 2007 Green Card in Hand!

Aug 13, 2007 Behind the wheel test, Passed. Now has California DL

I-751

Mar 26, 2009 Sent in I-751

Mar 28, 2009 Proof received

April 1, 2009 check cashed

April 3, 2009 NOA Received

April 16,2009 received bio appt letter

April 24, 2009 Biometrics Appointment

June 6, 2009 Removal of Conditions Approved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

July 17, 2009 10 Year Green Card in hand!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.