CutienPurg

help for the fried mind

15 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey Gang!!!

So yeah , I've been AWOL.........life got crazier , if anyone imagined that was possible. Following my son's death our marriage got REALLY rocky......even considered throwing it in. Then 3 weeks ago my mom died after a very long long struggle with rheumatoid arthritis, congestive heart failure and multiple major strokes. It was a blessing for her and Im very happy for her to have ended her struggle and misery ........I miss her greatly though.

Now we seem to be back on track and headed in a better direction......day by day ya know. My husband has his CR-1 interview on Dec 6. All the research and learning I had done in the past seems to have escaped me and I can't gather enough info to answer my own questions ...........so I beg to the masses for help.

~ we sent all of the originals to the NVC and they have acknowledged that in the interview letter. We did NOT obtain multiple copies of original docs although we do have photocopies. How much of a problem could that be come interview time?

~we opted to use my husbands Canadian Forces pension as part of our I-864 package. The NVC requested that we bring to the interview a copy of my husband's US tax return or a letter stating why he wasn't required to file. That's not an issue as much as proving how he receives his pension and how we change it into US funds. We have an RBC Centura account connected to our RBC account where the pension is direct deposited. Would the bank statements be adequate to prove the source of the income ?

~ I have concerns about the consulate not allowing my husband's pension as viable income for his support as it happened to others here. If it is not acceptable then the income I listed on the I-864 will fall short by about $1000.00. I did not include income from child support and I did not include my cash assets (which will account for any shortfall) on the I-864. Should we complete an amended aos or just simply take along any additional income/assets source info? Also what about RRSPs are those acceptable assets/sources of income for the purpose of support? My husband just recently dumped a load of cash into his to avoid paying the taxes on his severance package........much to my chagrin.

~ medical exam ...........he had his medical done on March 20th 2007 for his k-3 and we did obtain a photocopy of the results. Will those same results be acceptable for this interview as well? Or will he require a 2nd exam?The results are obviously not in a sealed envelope as requested for the interview......Will the consulate have his file from the k-3 interview?

In closing I just wanted to add congrats to all of you who have had success at any milestone of this crazy journey.

Thanks for any help that can be offered :)

Andrea

google.gif

Andrea...

You don't know me, I've only been on VJ for about just over a month or so but I want you to know that your Son's story touched me so much. I'm here in tears. My brother is Cory's age.

I'm so sorry about your loss.

Also, may your Mom RIP. What a hard and challenging time for you and your family. I wish you much strength and courage.

Hugs

Laura (F)

P.S. I can't help either...I know someone will know the answers to your questions.

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

I was wondering in the back of my mind how you were getting along. Thanks for letting us know how you've been - *big hugs!* to you and our condolences.

Glad that things are getting better, day by day. Life is a beautiful struggle, so keep your chin up. (L)

Now, where is the knowledgeable trailmix hiding...

Edited by Nini & Bee

Nini - Vancouver BC, Canada (she's the one who does the forum thing)

Bee - Devon PA, USA (he's the one who gave her the shiny ring)

Getting our sanity tested by bureaucracy since 2007.

Here we go again...

Removal of conditions @ VSC

9/4/2010 - sent!

9/14/2010 - NOA

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey CutienPurg ... it's really nice to see you around ... would love to help you with your questions .. unfortunately I am no wealth of knowledge ... if you don't get the info that you require, what I would do is bring everything that you have and upon their request for additional information you can provide it at such time and if you don't have it I'm sure that they will give you time to obtain what you require ... my condolences on the passing of you mother (F)

Met in Cleveland 07/07/05 ... Fireworks!!!

Emails and phone calls until first visit back September '05

Many trips to Cleveland and overnight stays in New York

Engaged 05/07/06

07/18/07 - Interview yeeehaaa .. approved

07/26/07 - received Visa from Montreal (should have received 07/24)

07/26/07 - POE Buffalo, NY (Peace Bridge) .. No EAD stamp

07/27/07 - Beautiful marriage .. now you may call me Mrs. :)

07/28/07 - Filed AOS,EAD, and AP for me and AOS and AP for my son via UPS .. received 08/01

08/16/07 - applied for ssn

09/03/07 - received ssn card

11/07/07 - AP approved and received 11/12/07 :)

11/19/07- EAD approved online and received same day (actual approval 11/07/07) :)

12/27/07 - AOS transferred to CSC

02/26/08 - 485's approved without interview

01/14/09 - Sent I-751 - removal of conditions

02/23/10 - Biometrics

03/17/10 - Removal of conditions approved .. card production ordered

"Life is not measured by the amount of breaths that we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm sorry to hear of your mother's passing but glad to hear things seem to be stabilizing between you and your husband. Good luck at the interview; I hope you get the information you need before you get there. I believe that since his medical was done less than a year ago the results should be fine and you would not require a second. If they had the results for the K-3, they probably don't need for them to be re-submitted.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey cutenburgy, been thinking of ya! Glad to hear your on the up swing! Were always here to listen.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

Hi Cutienpurg,

Good to hear from you and to know that things are now going better for you :)

~ we sent all of the originals to the NVC and they have acknowledged that in the interview letter. We did NOT obtain multiple copies of original docs although we do have photocopies. How much of a problem could that be come interview time?

We don't even have photocopies :) You don't need more originals, they will return yours to you at the interview, they don't request that you bring any.

~we opted to use my husbands Canadian Forces pension as part of our I-864 package. The NVC requested that we bring to the interview a copy of my husband's US tax return or a letter stating why he wasn't required to file. That's not an issue as much as proving how he receives his pension and how we change it into US funds. We have an RBC Centura account connected to our RBC account where the pension is direct deposited. Would the bank statements be adequate to prove the source of the income ?

~ I have concerns about the consulate not allowing my husband's pension as viable income for his support as it happened to others here. If it is not acceptable then the income I listed on the I-864 will fall short by about $1000.00. I did not include income from child support and I did not include my cash assets (which will account for any shortfall) on the I-864. Should we complete an amended aos or just simply take along any additional income/assets source info? Also what about RRSPs are those acceptable assets/sources of income for the purpose of support? My husband just recently dumped a load of cash into his to avoid paying the taxes on his severance package........much to my chagrin.

Colin Wilson attempted to use his Canadian pension income. It was not allowed at the interview and he ended up getting a co-sponsor. His post about it is here. I don't know about the RRSP's - the thing is, where they speak about assets on the I-864 it reads as though as long as the asset can be converted in to cash within 1 year it should be ok, but there is obviously more to it that isn't explained to us.

I would make up an amended I-864 to cover your bases. I would include your cash assets and child support (I assume the child support appears on your tax return). We used some cash and simply sent in a statement to NVC, from our bank manager saying this is the balance. We didn't send any statements but the official word is:

"Bank statements covering the last 12 months, or a statement from an officer of the bank or other financial institution in which the sponsor has deposits, including deposit/withdrawal history for the last 12 months, and current balance"

It also can't hurt to take the bank statements for your Husband's pension deposits and RRSP account, even though you won't include it on the new I-864.

~ medical exam ...........he had his medical done on March 20th 2007 for his k-3 and we did obtain a photocopy of the results. Will those same results be acceptable for this interview as well? Or will he require a 2nd exam?The results are obviously not in a sealed envelope as requested for the interview......Will the consulate have his file from the k-3 interview?

This I'm not sure about but I agree with kathryn that it should be fine.

Hope this helps!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Chile
Timeline

Actually, child support is non taxable to the the recipient in the U.S. and is not reportable by the recipient on tax returns nor is it deductible by the obligator (the one that pays it out). Alimony is a different story, but who receives alimony anymore anyway?

Edited by Delicia

My blog

10/01/2005: Married in Toronto

02/15/2006: Began Canadian Immigration

09/19/2007: Withdrew CIC application (they still hadn't processed anything)

10/01/2007: Moved back to U.S.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IR-1 application through Montreal Consulate

10/26/2007: I-130 mailed to CA Service Center

10/29/2007: USPS confirmation of receipt of I-130

02/13/2008: NOA-1 received (107 days)

07/02/2008: I-130 approved

07/22/2008: AOS filed including EAD and AP

07/25/2008: NOA-1s for all 3 received

08/20/2008: Biometrics appointment

08/22/2008: Received RFE for Affadivit of Support and Medical

10/21/2008: Submitted I-865W in lieu of co-sponsor and medical info to NSC

11/14/2008: online case status not updated since filing of AOS in July 2008

01/20/2009: Received another RFE for Affadavit of Support Info

02/02/2009: Responded to RFE with brand new AOS based on 2008 tax return (if that doesn't shut them up, dunno what will)

02/19/2009: EAD card received in mail (no updates on Online Case Status ever made)

02/23/2009: AP received (again, no online updates)

02/26/2009: Received interview appointment letter for 4/6/09

04/06/2009: AOS approved for unconditional GC

04/21/2009: GC received

Timeline

Good point Delicia. Anyway, according to the instructions on the I-864 you can use it. For the sponsor's annual income, item 23, you can include child support and just need to include evidence:

Reference to this can be found in the instructions, page 7 - item 23:

"If your claimed income includes alimony, child support, dividend or interest income, or income from any other source, you may also include evidence of that income".

Timeline

Hi CutieNPurg :) I'm sorry to hear about everything your family has been going through the last little while. I think what some of the others have posted sounds like pretty good advice regarding the interview. My situation is a little complicated too, so I as well am going ahead with an entirely new I-864 and just holding my breath to hope it all goes smoothly:) Sounds like everything is in place for you though, so I'm sure you'll be fine.

On a side note, Comelly and I will also be at the Consulate that day interviewing for our CR1's, so at least you'll have some fellow VJ'ers there to have your back!

Congrats on your interview date, and you and your family are in our prayers (F)

Sept.09/06 Married!!!

Dec.21/06 Sent I-130

Jan.04/04 Received NOA1

Feb.23/06 Sent I-129F

March06/06 USCIS Website States: "Approval Notice Sent."

March15/07 Approval notice arrives in snail mail

March 18/07 NOA1 for I-129F

April 10/07 DS-3032+ AOS fee arrive

April 17/07 Sent back DS-3032 + AOS fee via overnight delivery

May 05/07 AOS arrives in mail

May 07/07 IV bill arrives in mail

May 08/08 Sent back IV bill

May 21 NVC generates DS-230

June 4/07 Mailed DS-230 via overnight delivery.

June 7/07 DS-230 entered into the system

June 18/07 Case Complete!

July 25/07 Medical

September 4/07 Contacted State Senator Re: MTL backlog

Dec.6/07 INTERVIEW..... APPROVED!!!! (After being kept awake all night in dirty clothes standing outside my hotel because Air Canada lost my luggage and my hotel started on fire. Meh, sleep is highly over-rated anyways.)

Dec.18/07 Moved to the US

Oct. 29/09 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

"We come to love not by finding the perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly"

So sorry to hear about the loss of your Mother. I'm glad to hear that you and your husband are weathering all the changes and loss in your lives. The future holds such promise when there is love. Sorry, I can't help with your questions. Just wanted to say that it's nice to hear from you, and good luck with the Consulate visit.

Carla (F)

carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Andrea... ****HUGS****

K3 Timeline - 2006-11-20 to 2007-03-19

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

2007-04-16: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago (My AOS/EAD checklist)

2007-04-17: Received at Chicago

2007-04-23: NOA1 date (both)

2007-05-10: Biometrics appointment (both - Biometrics review)

2007-06-05: AOS interview letter date

2007-06-13: AOS interview letter received in mail

2007-07-03: EAD card production ordered

2007-07-07: EAD card received! (yay!)

2007-08-23: AOS interview (Documents / Interview review)

2007-08-23: Green card production ordered!!!

2007-08-24: Welcome notice mailed!

2007-08-27: Green card production ordered again... ?

2007-08-28: Welcome notice received!

2007-09-01: Green card received!

Done with USCIS until May 23, 2009!

I am not much help either

Just a thought for you (F)(F)(F) These times are hard for you, and I hope you will be better.

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2faws.gif+3dflags-canqc1-1.gif3Dflags

Removal of Conditions: GC received on 09/17/2009

Application to replace permanent resident cards filed 3/30/2019 (I-90)

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks everyone for the hugs, the thoughts and the advice!!!!

I emailed the consulate regarding the medical and they quickly responded........i know WOW!!!!

They said the photocopy of the medical would be sufficient as long as the medical exam was done within the past year .......so we're good there.

I think what we'll do concerning the financials is to obtain a certified letter from the ex hub saying he pays child support in the amount of xxx.xx ( since we dont have a court order) .....turns out im $282.00 short for the year **sigh**

The b.s. thing about Montreal and the pension deal , is they're making their own rules. The same income from pensions that they won't allow to be used for support , is the same income that would exempt a person from receiving federal means tested benefits.So it's a load of #######.

anyway.....that's that , guess we'll see where this gets us.

Again , thanks everyone for the wishes and the help. :)

Andrea

google.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.