8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

We finally have just about all our paperwork together. We read through the guides several times but I just want to make sure we didn't miss anything, and I have a couple of questions as well. Here's what we have:

1-485 Form filled in & signed by Canadian spouse

Attached to I-485:

- Will attach the $1010 check (not done yet)

- Cover Letter (I know it's not necessary but we just like to be organized and neat! :) )

- 2 passport style photos (may redo, just in case)

- Photocopy of NOA2

- Certified Copy of Marriage Certificate & License

- Photocopy of Birth Certificate

- Photocopy of Passport

- Photocopy of K1 Visa in Passport

- Photocopy of I-94 in Passport (Front & Back)

- Vaccination Supplement from Medical in Canada

- I-693A from qualified Civil Surgeon in the USA, stamped & signed by civil surgeon

- G-325A, all four copies, filled in & signed by Canadian spouse

- I-864 Form filled in & signed by USC spouse

Attached to I-864:

- Photocopies of Tax Returns for last 3 years

- W2

- Photocopies of Pay stubs from last several months

- I-765, filled in and signed by Canadian spouse

Attached to I-765:

- Photocopy of K1 Visa from passport

- Photocopy of front page of I-94 (not needed, to our understanding, since we're filing under ©(9) - but it was on page across from the Visa so copied anyway)

- 2 passport style photos (may need to be redone)

- I-131, filled in and signed by Canadian spouse

Attached to I-131:

- Part 7 on separate sheet of paper to explain why I qualify for Advance Parole to travel, signed & dated

- Photocopy of K1 Visa in Passport

- Photocopy of I-94, front and back

- Photocopy of passport (still need to attach - may need to get a better copy too)

- 2 passport style photos (again, may need to be redone)

Are we missing anything? Here are my other questions...

* Should we try to obtain my Social Security Number before sending off the forms? We did, but after reading the application form everything looked good UNTIL we realized that it said we'd have to prove that I had to have a GOOD non-employment related reason for getting a Social Security Number, and we thought that would be hard to prove and didn't want to keep going from office to office wasting our time. (We did read that suggestion, that we could try somewhere else if the place we went didn't let me get it.) ALSO there's a spot to check that says "Legal Alien NOT allowed to work" which is what we should check if we're being honest (which we want to be) BUT we also saw that my SSN card would say that I was not authorized to work. So we figured, why bother, if the only real reason I need the number is in case I want to work, and as a part of officially changing my name? Should we wait until I am authorized to work, or should we try to get it before sending off all this paperwork for AOS? I guess I'm wondering what the chances AND benefits are for getting it NOW as opposed to later. We also went to DMV and apparently they can issue me an I.D. card and will send it off somewhere to give me a SSN (another question - can we still get the SSN after I send my forms but before I receive EAD, as long as it is 14 days before my I-94 expires? Because we have to wait for my name to be added to the lease as proof of my residence for DMV etc...)

* Passport Style Photos. WHERE is the best/cheapest place to get these done WELL? For six photos we don't think it's worth it to spend $24. We tried to do it ourselves but the pictures have a weird blue-grey background - everything looks fine to me EXCEPT the background. I don't want to risk getting an RFE if it can be easily avoided because of the extra delays but we don't want to spend $24 on tiny little photos we can probably do ourselves either. Has anybody gotten an RFE for photos?

* Does my USC :dance: need 2 passport style photos? I didn't read that anywhere but a friend who just finished going through AOS mentioned they needed to send in 2 photos for her USC husband? Am I missing something? Or do people just send them in anyway?

* What did you guys send your packages in? Our stack of paperwork is HUGE!

I guess that is about it for now - I'm sure I'll be back!

THANKS EVERYONE. WE ARE JUST HAPPY TO FINALLY BE TOGETHER AFTER SO LONG OF BEING APART! :dance: (I know it could be worse and some have waited much longer!)

Edited by Melyssa

March 6, 2007 - I-129F package sent

March 21, 2007 - I-129F NOA2

October 17, 2007 - K1 interview - approved

October 19, 2007 - K1 arrived in mail

October 21, 2007 - US entry

October 23, 2007 - Wedding day

November 27, 2007 - AOS, EAD, AP package sent

December 7, 2007 - Received all 3 NOA's for AOS, AP & EAD

December 10, 2007 - Received letter for biometrics appointment

January 2, 2008 - I-485 transferred to California

January 3, 2008 - Biometrics

January 16, 2008 - RFE for I-485

January 22, 2008 - RFE for I-485 arrived

January 23, 2008 - AP approved

January 25, 2008 - Case status finally updated: AP approved January 23!

January 31, 2008 - EAD card production ordered

February 2, 2008 - AP arrived in mail

February 5, 2008 - Sending a letter/RFE to CSC

February 5, 2008 - EAD card production ordered (again?!)

February 7, 2008 - RFE/letter arrived at CSC

February 7, 2008 - EAD approval sent

February 9, 2008 - EAD card received, dated January 23rd!

February 25, 2008 - CSC finally acknowledges receiving RFE

February 27, 2008 - I-485 APPROVED!

February 27, 2008 - Online case status: notice mailed welcoming new permanent resident.

March 3, 2008 - Received welcome letter

March 3, 2008 - I-485 approval letter sent

March 6, 2008 - Green card arrived in mail.

November 2009 - Removal of conditions...

I don't see where you're missing anything. Sounds like you're very organized!

Maybe to answer some of your questions...you don't need your SSN to file the papers. You can send them off, then go and get it if you want. Don't forget to bring your passport, and your marriage license.

Are you taking your USC husband's name? If so, remember to fill out all your paperwork with that new last name.

Your USC doesn't need any pictures done at all.

I had my pictures taken at Walgreen's for $7.99. At my biometrics appointment they took my picture...this is the picture they use on the GC.

I just used a long manila envelope.

Best of luck for a speedy approval!

Carla (F)

carlahmsb4.gif

Timeline

Maybe to answer some of your questions...you don't need your SSN to file the papers. You can send them off, then go and get it if you want. Don't forget to bring your passport, and your marriage license.

Are you taking your USC husband's name? If so, remember to fill out all your paperwork with that new last name.

Your USC doesn't need any pictures done at all.

I had my pictures taken at Walgreen's for $7.99. At my biometrics appointment they took my picture...this is the picture they use on the GC.

I just used a long manila envelope.

Best of luck for a speedy approval!

Carla (F)

Thanks Carla!

Yes, I forgot to mention that - I took my USC's name and all of my forms are signed under it. I did make a mistake on the i-485 though where I signed my maiden name, but I crossed it out, initialed it, and put my new name. I hope that will be acceptable to them...! But maybe we'll do that page over just in case.

We looked at Wal-Green's but I thought they charged that much for just 2 photos - they charged only $7.99 for 6??? That would be worth it for sure! Hmmmm...

February 27, 2008 - Online case status: notice mailed welcoming new permanent resident.

We got our 6 passport photos at the CVS for $7.99 and used a big manila envelope to send it all in.

Sounds like you're good to go! :D

Nini - Vancouver BC, Canada (she's the one who does the forum thing)

Bee - Devon PA, USA (he's the one who gave her the shiny ring)

Getting our sanity tested by bureaucracy since 2007.

Here we go again...

Removal of conditions @ VSC

9/4/2010 - sent!

9/14/2010 - NOA

Timeline

How will I get around the work thing to get my SSN? I guess that's what we're mostly confused about...

Melyssa - you know K1s are technically work authorized by the SSA, right? So I'd check "Legal alien allowed to work". It doesn't matter if you have an EAD or not. Your SSN, once they issue it, will have a notation that states that you're only allowed to work with DHS approval. Be prepared as the SSA branch you go to might give you grief (like getting anything done in this process does!) but as long as you apply 14 days before the expiry of your I-94, you're good to go. Don't forget to fill the application out in your married name - they'll have you in the SAVE system with your maiden name, but they can give you the card in your married.

Print these two sheets out - it'll help with any issues you might encounter at the SSA.

RM 00203.210 Changing Numident Name Data

RM 00203.500 Employment Authorization for Nonimmigrants

The benefit of getting it sooner rather than later is that it's used in a lot of things - applying for a driver's license in some states and bank accounts, etc.

Hope that helps!

Nini - Vancouver BC, Canada (she's the one who does the forum thing)

Bee - Devon PA, USA (he's the one who gave her the shiny ring)

Getting our sanity tested by bureaucracy since 2007.

Here we go again...

Removal of conditions @ VSC

9/4/2010 - sent!

9/14/2010 - NOA

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

My wife wants to take my last name. I originally filled out the AOS papers with the name change. But I changed all the AOS papers to her maiden name to reflect all of her documentation as we are going through the AOS process. I was uncertain if the AOS papers would allow the name change right-a-way because it would not have matched her passport, K-1 docs, etc.

I guess later we are just going to make the name change with SSA and DMV. We got her SSN after she arrived. But DMV wouldn't even let her get a state ID card because her I-94 was within a 60-day expiration date. California has some strange proceedures. :wacko:

Joseph

us.jpgKarolina

AOS application received Chicago - 11/12/2007

Timeline

My wife wants to take my last name. I originally filled out the AOS papers with the name change. But I changed all the AOS papers to her maiden name to reflect all of her documentation as we are going through the AOS process. I was uncertain if the AOS papers would allow the name change right-a-way because it would not have matched her passport, K-1 docs, etc.

I guess later we are just going to make the name change with SSA and DMV. We got her SSN after she arrived. But DMV wouldn't even let her get a state ID card because her I-94 was within a 60-day expiration date. California has some strange proceedures. :wacko:

Since we had to attach a certified copy of the marriage certificate we figured the AOS people should be smart enough to check that so that they know my name change is valid. Hmmmm... hopefully it is. As far as we're concerned my name is changed already and was changed on our wedding day :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.