alohabob

Co-sponsor not allowed

33 posts in this topic

Q: I do not meet the minimum income requirements. Are there any options available to me?

A: Yes, if you can find a qualified co-sponsor, in most cases you can get around the income requirement. However, some U.S. Consulates such as Manila, Philippines will not accept a co-sponsor. The co-sponsor must be able to meet all the government's requirements just as though he or she were the sole sponsor. You must submit all your financial documents as well, even if they do show a low level of income.

I believe you got that from the Virtual interview in Davao.

That was years ago and answered by one USEM official.

Since that time I've seen hundreds of post where K1s at USEM were approved having co sponsors.

Only time they had problems is when the co sponsor was short on meeting the financial requirements.

Doesn't help the OPs problem tho.

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
I am the Petitioner and my father is both a close relative and long time friend.

Earlier you also wrote....

My father is 89 years old,

This may well contribute to the Consular Officer's concern. Will Dad be around to provide any needed support. They are not going to assume you'll inherit a dime.

I hope it all works out for you and I actually think it will but they really would rather see your sibling or best friend as the sponsor than an 89 year old Dad.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
I am the Petitioner and my father is both a close relative and long time friend.

Earlier you also wrote....

My father is 89 years old,

This may well contribute to the Consular Officer's concern. Will Dad be around to provide any needed support. They are not going to assume you'll inherit a dime.

I hope it all works out for you and I actually think it will but they really would rather see your sibling or best friend as the sponsor than an 89 year old Dad.

I agree with this statement. I told you before that when I asked an immigration attorney about parents being co-sponsors, the very first thing he asked were how old my parents were. If you can find any family member willing to so-sponsor in addition to your father, or even have your father write an additional/notarized letter promising his longterm support of your family, it may be beneficial to your case. Think about it this way: Because they can't legally enforce the I-134, what would they do if your father weren't around, without any other supportive financial documentation from you?

In any case, I would contact via email to get any of your questions answered in writing, addressed to you. From what the consulate wrote, it seems that they definitely make decisions on a case-by-case basis, taking into consideration ALL factors, and the more supporting eveidence you have, the better. On another note -- When I was renewing my passport at the LA Federal Building this summer, the person who took my papers was a recent transfer who used to work in a consulte abroad, and I asked him a few questions -- one thing I remember is that he said "bring A LOT of photos -- the visa people LIKE photos" to prove your relationship. So you should provide photos with the date and locations on them as well, for the relationship part of your visa.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes. I have a feeling that, this time, if you send them many supporting documents for financials and your relationship, you should be all right.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.