alohabob

Co-sponsor not allowed

33 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Aloha everyone,

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide to solve my dilemma. On October 24th, 2007 I went to the interview with my fiancée in Bangkok. I dragged the children (2) on a 5 hour bus ride to Bangkok and Jit’s sister as babysitter. I felt I had everything in order but they found a few problems.

I knew my I-134 was deplorable and stressed over it for a month. Then I came across information about using a co-sponsor. Well my father has enough assets for ten fiancées and I felt I had a strong case. I included a letter from an officer of the bank explaining my father’s accounts and included how much he had in the bank. His I-134 was signed and notarized just like mine. However, the consular told me I cannot use a co-sponsor for a K-1 visa. I argued I could not find anything that excluded a co-sponsor and that it was within the jurisdiction of the consular approving the visa. Well, they did not buy that and when she went and talked to a senior consular he told her there is no basis in the law to let them accept co-sponsorship. I was completely blown away as I was sure everything was in order. I did not record the webpage where I found out about co-sponsorships and that was a mistake on my part as I would now advise using the mother of all paper trails, Keep every paper associated with this process.

This is where I am and now need to find out if this is true or not. If anyone has info about using a co-sponsor on a K-1 visa please let me know how it is done.

Thanks, AlohaBob

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline

I have heard in the past of people using a co-sponsor, but maybe technically they are right, I dont know.

I was always under the impression you could have a co-sponser.

Aloha everyone,

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide to solve my dilemma. On October 24th, 2007 I went to the interview with my fiancée in Bangkok. I dragged the children (2) on a 5 hour bus ride to Bangkok and Jit’s sister as babysitter. I felt I had everything in order but they found a few problems.

I knew my I-134 was deplorable and stressed over it for a month. Then I came across information about using a co-sponsor. Well my father has enough assets for ten fiancées and I felt I had a strong case. I included a letter from an officer of the bank explaining my father’s accounts and included how much he had in the bank. His I-134 was signed and notarized just like mine. However, the consular told me I cannot use a co-sponsor for a K-1 visa. I argued I could not find anything that excluded a co-sponsor and that it was within the jurisdiction of the consular approving the visa. Well, they did not buy that and when she went and talked to a senior consular he told her there is no basis in the law to let them accept co-sponsorship. I was completely blown away as I was sure everything was in order. I did not record the webpage where I found out about co-sponsorships and that was a mistake on my part as I would now advise using the mother of all paper trails, Keep every paper associated with this process.

This is where I am and now need to find out if this is true or not. If anyone has info about using a co-sponsor on a K-1 visa please let me know how it is done.

Thanks, AlohaBob

Filed: Timeline

looks like it might be country specific...

I found this on the net

2) Q: I do not meet the minimum income requirements. Are there any options available to me?

A: Yes, if you can find a qualified co-sponsor, in most cases you can get around the income requirement. However, some U.S. Consulates such as Manila, Philippines will not accept a co-sponsor. The co-sponsor must be able to meet all the government’s requirements just as though he or she were the sole sponsor. You must submit all your financial documents as well, even if they do show a low level of income.

Aloha everyone,

Thanks, AlohaBob

looks like it might be country specific...

I found this on the net

2) Q: I do not meet the minimum income requirements. Are there any options available to me?

A: Yes, if you can find a qualified co-sponsor, in most cases you can get around the income requirement. However, some U.S. Consulates such as Manila, Philippines will not accept a co-sponsor. The co-sponsor must be able to meet all the government's requirements just as though he or she were the sole sponsor. You must submit all your financial documents as well, even if they do show a low level of income.

Aloha everyone,

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide to solve my dilemma. On October 24th, 2007 I went to the interview with my fiancée in Bangkok. I dragged the children (2) on a 5 hour bus ride to Bangkok and Jit's sister as babysitter. I felt I had everything in order but they found a few problems.

I knew my I-134 was deplorable and stressed over it for a month. Then I came across information about using a co-sponsor. Well my father has enough assets for ten fiancées and I felt I had a strong case. I included a letter from an officer of the bank explaining my father's accounts and included how much he had in the bank. His I-134 was signed and notarized just like mine. However, the consular told me I cannot use a co-sponsor for a K-1 visa. I argued I could not find anything that excluded a co-sponsor and that it was within the jurisdiction of the consular approving the visa. Well, they did not buy that and when she went and talked to a senior consular he told her there is no basis in the law to let them accept co-sponsorship. I was completely blown away as I was sure everything was in order. I did not record the webpage where I found out about co-sponsorships and that was a mistake on my part as I would now advise using the mother of all paper trails, Keep every paper associated with this process.

Thanks, AlohaBob

Great find Seattle2Cebu. Yes, I believe that this is country specific as I've also read that the consulate in HCM, Vietnam do accept co-sponsors, BUT with special conditions and that it is rarely approved (less than a 10% chance of approval). It's getting tougher nowadays and they will look into your income more closely.

alohabob, I hope you will find a solution for this and have it resolved. Best of luck!

Edited by MR2nice

05/07/2007 : I-129F Sent

05/29/2007 : NOA1

09/28/2007 : NOA2 (144 days from filing date)

11/02/2007 : NVC Received Case (35 days from NOA2)

11/06/2007 : NVC Sent Case to HCM Consulate

11/16/2007 : HCMC Received Case

11/17/2007 : HCMC Sent Packet 3

11/20/2007 : HCMC Received Packet 3

12/10/2007 : HCMC Called Fiancee (Packet 4 Sent + Interview Date)

12/18/2007 : Packet 4 Received

01/02/2008 : Medical Appointment

01/09/2008 : Interview passed!

01/29/2008 : Visa Received

02/02/2008 : POE @ SFO

Favorite Links:

K1 Process Flowchart

Vietnam Visa Seekers

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

well i had my interview on wednesday, and we used my fiancees father as a co sponsor and we had no problems with it at all. This was in london, so i guess it may depend on the country? Is the co sponsor in your home country or in america? maybe there would be a better chance if the co sponsor was in america?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Turkey
Timeline

Wow, that is distressing. I hope you find a solution to this problem.

Does anyone have a list/know where to find a list of consulates that don't accept co-sponsors for K-1 visas?

shoes-1.jpg

tt3083899fltt.gif

AOS Timeline:

- 06/30/2009: Filed for AOS/EAD/AP

- 07/02/2009: AOS packet received

- 07/08/2009: Check cashed

- 07/10/2009: Received all 3 NOA1s

- 07/14/2009: Received biometrics appt.

- 07/29/2009: Case transferred to CSC

- 08/01/2009: Advanced Parole Documents Issued

- 08/06/2009: Biometrics appointment completed

- 08/11/2009: EAD issued (received 8/14)

- 11/12/2009: AOS approved

- 11/20/2009: Green Card in hand!

* Complete timeline in profile under "Signature and Story"

Filed: Other Timeline

No, there's no list.

Probably the greatest variable in the road to a visa is consular differences. While getting an I129F approved stateside is pretty much a cookie-cutter process, getting the visa approved at the consulate is not.

Research your consulate as you approach the interivew date. And don't rely on the information of just one website or just one individual.

Timeline
No, there's no list.

Probably the greatest variable in the road to a visa is consular differences. While getting an I129F approved stateside is pretty much a cookie-cutter process, getting the visa approved at the consulate is not.

Research your consulate as you approach the interivew date. And don't rely on the information of just one website or just one individual.

At the top of this site, you'll see "Embassy Info". Click on it, and then check out the reviews for the US Embassy in Thailand (Bangkok). The most recent post on there is from a man whose fiancee was denied a visa UNTIL he (the petitioner) could get a co-sponsor. They apparently found a co-sponsor within a week, and then their visa was approved. This all took place in October, according to the post.

I am very confused as to your situation. I have heard of quite a few people getting co-sponsors for Thailand. (The man I directed you to is a case in point.) You do realize that you or the co-sponsor had to show 125 percent above the poverty level to support a family of FOUR (you, your fiance, and her 2 children)? And I'm assuming you showed them all your financial records, regardless of how dismal? There is a section on this site that says there is one case where a visa was denied even though the petitioner had 2 co-sponsors, as the petitioner was not currently working and had been on government aid.

The main concern, it seems, for this requirement is that the US govt wants to make sure that the fiance and/or his/her dependents is not likely to become a public charge once admitted into the US. Though they accept co-sponsors in thailand, it MAY be at the embassy's discretion as to whether they will accept that co-sponsor based on the petitioner's situation. This is speculation on my part, of course.

I was also told that it is better to get a co-sponsor that is currently working. If your father is over the age of 55-60 and retired, no matter how many assets he has, he may not be the best sponsor for you. They look seriously at income as they want to make sure there is a steady amount of income coming in.

Again -- I am still confused why they told you that you cannot have a co-sponsor when they are approving and ASKING for co-sponsors before approving the visas of others. Are you sure you understood correctly, and there was no other information that was given to you? Were all your own financial records in order? You may want to call or email the embassy to double-check on what you were told, to verify that you cannot get a co-sponsor. Have you ever been on any sort of government aid? I keep thinking that somehow they did not feel you were capable of supporting 4 people on your own, that your family was likely to become a public charge, even if they were incorrect in this assumption.

I know of another case where the man (in his 20s) was unemployed, and had his parents co-sponsor his thai fiancee, and she was approved. Clearly there is something that is not making sense in your case, or you were not being told the entire reason for denial?

As I said before, this is all speculation on my end. I would call the embassy, to confirm.

Timeline
Aloha everyone,

Thanks, AlohaBob

At the top of this site, you'll see "Embassy Info". Click on it, and then check out the reviews for the US Embassy in Thailand (Bangkok). The most recent post on there is from a man whose fiancee was denied a visa UNTIL he (the petitioner) could get a co-sponsor. They apparently found a co-sponsor within a week, and then their visa was approved. This all took place in October, according to the post.

I am very confused as to your situation. I have heard of quite a few people getting co-sponsors for Thailand. (The man I directed you to is a case in point.) You do realize that you or the co-sponsor had to show 125 percent above the poverty level to support a family of FOUR (you, your fiance, and her 2 children)? And I'm assuming you showed them all your financial records, regardless of how dismal? There is a section on this site that says there is one case where a visa was denied even though the petitioner had 2 co-sponsors, as the petitioner was not currently working and had been on government aid.

The main concern, it seems, for this requirement is that the US govt wants to make sure that the fiance and/or his/her dependents is not likely to become a public charge once admitted into the US. Though they accept co-sponsors in thailand, it MAY be at the embassy's discretion as to whether they will accept that co-sponsor based on the petitioner's situation. This is speculation on my part, of course.

I was also told that it is better to get a co-sponsor that is currently working. If your father is over the age of 55-60 and retired, no matter how many assets he has, he may not be the best sponsor for you. They look seriously at income as they want to make sure there is a steady amount of income coming in.

Again -- I am still confused why they told you that you cannot have a co-sponsor when they are approving and ASKING for co-sponsors before approving the visas of others. Are you sure you understood correctly, and there was no other information that was given to you? Were all your own financial records in order? You may want to call or email the embassy to double-check on what you were told, to verify that you cannot get a co-sponsor. Have you ever been on any sort of government aid? I keep thinking that somehow they did not feel you were capable of supporting 4 people on your own, that your family was likely to become a public charge, even if they were incorrect in this assumption.

I know of another case where the man (in his 20s) was unemployed, and had his parents co-sponsor his thai fiancee, and she was approved. Clearly there is something that is not making sense in your case, or you were not being told the entire reason for denial?

As I said before, this is all speculation on my end. I would call the embassy, to confirm.

Filed: Other Timeline
Aloha everyone,

Thanks, AlohaBob

Jennifer -

Income is income. It does not matter if a sponsor's income is from gainful employment or from retirement funds. It is misleading to readers to imply that only income from a paycheck will suffice for an affidavit of support.

Isn't that weird that some embassies accept co-sponsors and others don't. I guess that is consistant with how the DHS operates in general :angry:

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Isn't that weird that some embassies accept co-sponsors and others don't. I guess that is consistant with how the DHS operates in general :angry:

It does seem weird but we've been hearing about this from Manila for quite some time. Even so, there's a lot of argument on whether it is true.

I'd like to know just what the applicant was given, in written form.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Aloha everyone,

Thanks, AlohaBob

If your fiancee's visa was not granted, the Consulate gave you something in writing. Please describe what they gave you and exactly what it says.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
Aloha everyone,

Thanks, AlohaBob

Jennifer -

Income is income. It does not matter if a sponsor's income is from gainful employment or from retirement funds. It is misleading to readers to imply that only income from a paycheck will suffice for an affidavit of support.

I am only quoting what I was told by a CA visa lawyer when I asked about using my parents as co-sponsors. I know it is not politically correct, but he immediately asked me how old "mom and dad" were. This is what he told me: that the reviewing officers look more favorably on working co-sponsors over 55, since the affadavit is usually looked upon as ongoing support for 5 years, and the older a person is, the more possibilities that THEY could expire before the time period is over. I know that is blunt, but this was his advice, not my own opinion -- to go with someone who was younger and working.

Whether this has any validity or not, I do not know. But I didn't want to take chances and decided to go with my sister instead. Both my parents have considerable assents and retirement incomes, which I told the lawyer, but he still advised to go with a currently working, younger co-sponsor if possible.

And the person who originally posted this question made more mention of his father's assets than income, retirement or otherwise -- so I was also only quoting what visajourney says about the how consulates look very carefully at income, and not just assets.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.