one...two...tree

U.S. citizen arrested under state's new anti-illegal immigrant law, Hispanic advocate says

682 posts in this topic

Some people look on poverty as more of a humanitarian/global problem than an us versus them problem.

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Some people look on poverty as more of a humanitarian/global problem than an us versus them problem.

that's all well and wonderful, are you willing to live in poverty too to help shift the economic tide in their direction?

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

A very simplistic reply to a very complex issue.

I think most humanitarians are willing to make some personal sacrifices in terms of personal wealth if the result is a more even distribution of wealth globally. The difficulty is that in real terms, effective solutions are required at governmental level.

Individuals often do give a lot of money to charitable institutions, but that isn't really solving the economic problems that underly global poverty.

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
I was talking about the issues of poverty in their country, which is what they are trying to run away from.

If it wasn't such an issue I think there would be less people dying to get over here. Money is an evil thing.

sot it's ok if they export their poverty to the usa? and why is their government becoming the problem of the usa?

No I dont think poverty should have borders. I think theres enough wealth in the world to help everyone and developed nations should be doing something to help.

As I stated before I think that making trade fair would be a helpful first step.

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline

I think most humanitarians are willing to make some personal sacrifices in terms of personal wealth if the result is a more even distribution of wealth globally. The difficulty is that in real terms, effective solutions are required at governmental level.

Individuals often do give a lot of money to charitable institutions, but that isn't really solving the economic problems that underly global poverty.

and the expected dodge to it while trying to fasten yourself onto the coattails of "humanitarians"

as for me, it's not my problem and their problem isn't welcome in the usa. they should take it up with their government.

Edited by charlesandnessa

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Timeline
I was talking about the issues of poverty in their country, which is what they are trying to run away from.

If it wasn't such an issue I think there would be less people dying to get over here. Money is an evil thing.

sot it's ok if they export their poverty to the usa? and why is their government becoming the problem of the usa?

No I dont think poverty should have borders. I think theres enough wealth in the world to help everyone and developed nations should be doing something to help.

As I stated before I think that making trade fair would be a helpful first step.

we'll disagree there. and how marxist of you to think that we should spread out the wealth.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Humanitarians aren't necessarily Marxist. In fact, I would say, rarely are.

Us and them, us and them.

Oh, and what exactly does 'fasten on to the coattails of "humanitarians" mean'?

Timeline
Humanitarians aren't necessarily Marxist. In fact, I would say, rarely are.

Us and them, us and them.

Oh, and what exactly does 'fasten on to the coattails of "humanitarians" mean'?

us and them has been a standard when it comes to resources for how many years? it's a fact of life, and always will be.

perhaps you enjoy watching the race to the bottom with the usa, i don't.

the coattail remark is due to you trying to make yourself out to be one or at least hitch a ride with them.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

:thumbs: Like 3rd-world debt.

the coattail remark is due to you trying to make yourself out to be one or at least hitch a ride with them.

How do you know that she isn't a humanitarian, or indeed that she is a Marxist? That's rather presumptuous from a few forum posts don't you think?

Timeline

How do you know that she isn't a humanitarian, or indeed that she is a Marxist? That's rather presumptuous from a few forum posts don't you think?

she's the one who was talking about humanitarians, yet nothing indicating anything she's done personally. as we say in texas, all hat no cattle.

and just what do you term the statement "I think theres enough wealth in the world to help everyone and developed nations should be doing something to help."

i'm already hearing to each according to their need.......

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

What I've seen as I've read various comments is sad :( . I've seen the various members who are in the process or have already gotten a green card, feel that the perfect punishment for those who skipped the whole process in order to enter this country is to be treated worse than animals. Instead of learning for the experience, the whole process has hardened their hearts and have forgotten who they were. Instead of portraying themselves as the ONES that did everything LEGALLY, they should be humble and grateful and think in those that with the absence of bread and money to survive and support their families are leaving their homes, countries, friends, babies, NOT WILLINGLY, but because of hunger. PEOPLE, LOOK AT YOURSELVES!! :angry: Be grateful to be born or actually of not been born under those conditions. For those who were born under those conditions, remember what it used to be and that you found your soul mate who enabled you to have a better future, (lets be serious, why is the US Citizen filing for the foreign spouse? why didn't the US Citizen spouse moved to another country? because it is better here, we are not that different now huh?)

BE HUMBLE PEOPLE AND STOP HARRASSING other people's lives, specially those how come to WORK and FEED THEIR FAMILIES!

About the criminals? Throw their behinds out of this country! I'm not against it, but not all undocumented immigrants are the same, do not generalize...

Edited by GueraYTavo

05/01/08 Green Card in mailbox!!

06/05/10 Real GREEN Card RECEIVED!

01/17/13 Sent application for US Citizenship!!!

01/19/13 Arrived to Arizona Lockbox

01/24/13 Notice of Action

01/25/13 Check cashed

01/28/13 NOA received by mail and biometrics letter mailed as per uscis.gov

02/14/13 Biometrics appointment

03/18/13 In-line for inteview

Timeline

she's the one who was talking about humanitarians, yet nothing indicating anything she's done personally. as we say in texas, all hat no cattle.

and just what do you term the statement "I think theres enough wealth in the world to help everyone and developed nations should be doing something to help."

i'm already hearing to each according to their need.......

Well doing something 'personally' as in donating money to charity doesn't really address the underlying economic issues. That was the point - whether she, you or I donate changes little of that. Its a question of broad political action - not merely one of throwing money into isolated development projects (this being why there are large-scale protests every time there's a G8 summit).

As to Marxism - well all that can be said to that is that there's rather more to that theory than the few soundbites and quotes you can cobble together (entire university courses in fact - as well as several libraries worth of books). As it happens you might want to look into the difference between anarchism and marxism, as people often confuse the two, (or indeed in thinking that anarchism implies nihilism. It doesn't BTW).

As it happens developed nations should be doing things to help developing economies, especially when those developing economies (in Africa, for example) are saddled with dubious debt run up by corrupt, dictatorial governments (who we were happy to take advantage and lend to), less willing to cancel out when those regimes collapse and newer, more representative govts want to invest in developing their infrastructure.

Timeline
What I've seen as I've read various comments is sad :( . I've seen the various members who are in the process or have already gotten a green card, feel that the perfect punishment for those who skipped the whole process in order to enter this country is to be treated worse than animals. Instead of learning for the experience, the whole process has hardened their hearts and have forgotten who they were. Instead of portraying themselves as the ONES that did everything LEGALLY, they should be humble and grateful and think in those that with the absence of bread and money to survive and support their families are leaving their homes, countries, friends, babies, NOT WILLINGLY, but because of hunger. PEOPLE, LOOK AT YOURSELVES!! :angry: Be grateful to be born or actually of not been born under those conditions. For those who were born under those conditions, remember what it used to be and that you found your soul mate who enabled you to have a better future, (lets be serious, why is the US Citizen filing for the foreign spouse? why didn't the US Citizen spouse moved to another country? because it is better here, we are not that different now huh?)

BE HUMBLE PEOPLE AND STOP HARRASSING other people's lives, specially those how come to WORK and FEED THEIR FAMILIES!

About the criminals? Throw their behinds out of this country! I'm not against it, but not all undocumented immigrants are the same, do not generalize...

if you want sympathy for them, try webster's. their personal situation, the situation in their country is not an excuse to invade the usa to enrich their pocketbook.

Well doing something 'personally' as in donating money to charity doesn't really address the underlying economic issues. That was the point - whether she, you or I donate changes little of that. Its a question of broad political action - not merely one of throwing money into isolated development projects (this being why there are large-scale protests every time there's a G8 summit).

As to Marxism - well all that can be said to that is that there's rather more to that theory than the few soundbites and quotes you can cobble together (entire university courses in fact - as well as several libraries worth of books). As it happens you might want to look into the difference between anarchism and marxism, as people often confuse the two, (or indeed in thinking that anarchism implies nihilism. It doesn't BTW).

As it happens developed nations should be doing things to help developing economies, especially when those developing economies (in Africa, for example) are saddled with dubious debt run up by corrupt, dictatorial governments (who we were happy to take advantage and lend to), less willing to cancel out when those regimes collapse and newer, more representative govts want to invest in developing their infrastructure.

whatever you wanna think dude. :rolleyes: i'm sure much of what you do is all hat and no cattle too.

Edited by charlesandnessa

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Timeline

whatever you wanna think dude. :rolleyes: i'm sure much of what you do is all hat and no cattle too.

That's ok - I think much the same about you - not least that you really don't know what you're talking about ;)

Paint-by-numbers politics with Charles :whistle: I bet if we proble the extent of your knowledge on Marxism, for example - we'll find you all mouth and no trousers.