one...two...tree

U.S. citizen arrested under state's new anti-illegal immigrant law, Hispanic advocate says

682 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
The Republican National Committee is not a conservative organization. GWB is a Republican, many pandering politicians are Republicans. Means nothing for them to say what the people want is amnesty; they are liars of the first order.

BTW, Steven, La Raza would kick your gringo butt out of the US if they had a choice. "The Race" doesn't include people like you.

LOL...I think point has been well made that the issue of immigration reform is not a liberal vs. conservative one...except for those on the Far Right who think anything left of their position is too liberal for their taste.

and the inverse, those on the far left who think anything right of their position is too conservative for their taste. :P

In the context of the argument of immigration, when you have Bush and the current Republican frontrunner, Giuliani, both supporting a guest worker program, just who is out-of-sync with the official stance of the Party? Which Republican candidate supports the toughest stance on illegal immigration and why isn't the Republican Party throwing their weight behind that candidate?

Compromise...it's the only way this issue is going to be dealt with on a national level....through compromise.

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

some of the comments regarding this issue on this board are just sad.

I didn't realize getting into the states legally gives you a free ticket to board the hate train.

:(

I don't know, something about leaving your children behind and risking your life so you can come across and work crappy jobs, a lot of the time being mistreated and underpaid by employers, but still having that smile when you make in a week what many Americans make in a day just screams determination to me.

And I don't support illegal immigration, but I DO support humankind regardless of who they are and where they come from.

Yes the laws need to change. A fence isnt going to help. Minutemen aren't going to help. These ridiculous state laws about not being allowed to associate with them is not going to help. Its just dividing us as humans...the haves and the have nots.

Making trade fair is the first step I believe. Reduce poverty.

But hate...isn't going to fix anything.

got any proof of that?

Someone needs to watch the Penn & Teller episode about immigration. But then, how do fences stop those who overstay their visa?

for those who think a fence does not work........

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=94596

They just need to wait until the entire fence is up, business will be booming again for metal cutters and shovels. Right now its just easier to go through a different place than to go through the fence. As long as the economics remain as they are, they will find a way.

you've not read too much about it have you? they can dig under the fence, cut the fence, and the sensors will pick that up and the border patrol will have plenty of time to get there and wait for them to finish working their way thru.

Yeah, when it takes less than a minute to get through, by the time the border patrol gets there, there will be no one to arrest. Also how often will the sensors detect wildlife over people?

keTiiDCjGVo

I didn't realize getting into the states legally gives you a free ticket to board the hate train.

I don't know, something about leaving your children behind and risking your life so you can come across and work crappy jobs, a lot of the time being mistreated and underpaid by employers, but still having that smile when you make in a week what many Americans make in a day just screams determination to me.

And I don't support illegal immigration, but I DO support humankind regardless of who they are and where they come from.

Yes the laws need to change. A fence isnt going to help. Minutemen aren't going to help. These ridiculous state laws about not being allowed to associate with them is not going to help. Its just dividing us as humans...the haves and the have nots.

got any proof of that?

Someone needs to watch the Penn & Teller episode about immigration. But then, how do fences stop those who overstay their visa?

But it doesn't. It keeps them from going through where the fence is, but there's no proof that they aren't just driving down .5 mile from where the fence ends. And since the fence is going to be along less than 50% of the border, this is sort of like me saying I've solved the hunger problem by pointing to my fridge.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I think that's a fair point - we can create and enforce all the laws we like (so long as those laws are 'fair'), but on some level we have to recognise that the economic disparities that are driving people to take desperate, life-threatening measures to gain entry to the US have to be addressed. At least on some level.

It seems to me that there's some sort of expectation that the fallout of one country's poor economic planning shouldn't impact its neighbour (i.e. the US); but its an unrealistic assessment at best.

You see similar things in countries adjoining active war-zones - borders being closed to refugees regardless of the dangers and conditions they face in their country of origin. Yet at the same time people seem to have tremendous sympathy for the victims of famines and disasters thousands of miles away, yet when the disaster strikes close to home - at least close enough to impact them in some way or other it seems to be a different story.

I remember reading a follow-up article about the Katrina victims - that many of the bordering states that received an influx of Katrina refugees have experienced an upsurge of racial and other tensions as a result.

Well...I'm waiting...for your solution to stopping illegal immigration. You're either part of the problem or part of the solution. Which is it? Are you a problem solver or an enabler? Tell us your "good law" solution.

Open the borders with Mexico and Canada, and spend money on helping the Mexicans secure their borders.

This seems to work fine in Western Europe, why not here? Convincing the Mexicans to allow Americans to own property in Mexico would help as well.

Mexico secures their southern border with bullets. They shoot illegals they catch on it, then jail and deport those who survive. Wanna take up a collection to buy them more bullets?

Does it not occur to you that KILLING people just might be a little bit overboard???? I know you're not even saying that tongue in cheek. You really think that attempting to cross a border without permission should be punishable by death, without a trial? Are you one of those people who has a shotgun next to the door ready to shoot anyone who steps onto your lawn without permission?

I think you missed GEG's point. It was suggested that we should spend money to help Mexico secure their borders. But Mexico's method of doing that includes shooting people who attempt to cross their southern border illegally. So money sent to help Mexico secure their borders would contribute to those shootings.

She has in the past, however, argued for the U.S. adopting Mexico's methods.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

got any proof of that?

They just need to wait until the entire fence is up, business will be booming again for metal cutters and shovels. Right now its just easier to go through a different place than to go through the fence. As long as the economics remain as they are, they will find a way.

you've not read too much about it have you? they can dig under the fence, cut the fence, and the sensors will pick that up and the border patrol will have plenty of time to get there and wait for them to finish working their way thru.

Yeah, when it takes less than a minute to get through, by the time the border patrol gets there, there will be no one to arrest. Also how often will the sensors detect wildlife over people?

sure, if they have a tank. with bolt cutters they'll have to snip away and snip away. also, it's not just once fence......

fences, btw, are a barrier/obstacle that yes, can be breached given time. their purpose is more to channel movement.

eta: http://www.borderfenceproject.com/

Edited by charlesandnessa

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline
People shout 'racial profiling' because that's exactly what happens. Perfectly legal US citizens who happen to look 'wrong' are questioned disproportionately. If you were constantly required to prove your legal status, you might think twice about making such a statements.

Not if it meant ensuring our nations security, safety & Freedom.

I am all for enforcing immigration laws with all the illegals Swedes, Asians,Scottish, & Irish. profilimng is neccesary it is used in every aspect of law enforcement. Drug enforcement, homicides, Gang activity task force, & Illegal Immigrant raids. If the shoe fits!

If they are Illegal then they should be rounded up deported, if someone if Knowingly harbouring or employing thme they should also be arrested & prosecuted.

Definitely!!! GOOD VIBES!!! i love it!!!!!! :)

And i see you fell for their "ensure FREEDOM" line they gave you. I can see you don't mind giving up your freedoms and others, the ones that make this country so great and free, for some percieved security they have convinced you about!

I am not saying you don't deserve liberty nor security, no way, to the contrary, but you unfortunately are BADLIES with the BADVIBES

"Those who give up liberty for the sake of security deserve neither liberty nor security."

- Benjamin Franklin

Timeline
People shout 'racial profiling' because that's exactly what happens. Perfectly legal US citizens who happen to look 'wrong' are questioned disproportionately. If you were constantly required to prove your legal status, you might think twice about making such a statements.

Not if it meant ensuring our nations security, safety & Freedom.

I am all for enforcing immigration laws with all the illegals Swedes, Asians,Scottish, & Irish. profilimng is neccesary it is used in every aspect of law enforcement. Drug enforcement, homicides, Gang activity task force, & Illegal Immigrant raids. If the shoe fits!

If they are Illegal then they should be rounded up deported, if someone if Knowingly harbouring or employing thme they should also be arrested & prosecuted.

Definitely!!! GOOD VIBES!!! i love it!!!!!! :)

And i see you fell for their "ensure FREEDOM" line they gave you. I can see you don't mind giving up your freedoms and others, the ones that make this country so great and free, for some percieved security they have convinced you about!

I am not saying you don't deserve liberty nor security, no way, to the contrary, but you unfortunately are BADLIES with the BADVIBES

"Those who give up liberty for the sake of security deserve neither liberty nor security."

- Benjamin Franklin

ya know, post stalking isn't exactly welcome here on vj........

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yes...people are still illegally immigrating. There's your proof.

And its not just from Mexico.

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline
What is post stalking? Educate me, please!

Thanks.

check out his replies, lately a majority of them have been only at goodvibes.

Yes...people are still illegally immigrating. There's your proof.

And its not just from Mexico.

oh i get it. because it still occurs we should stop trying to do anything, just throw up our hands and admit defeat?

the fence is one part of a many pronged solution. it's not meant to stop illegals 100% (unless of course we want to make it something like 100' deep and 200' high.....)

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Timeline
No but I think just putting up a fence is not getting rid of the REAL problem which is poverty.

Thats all.

:huh: ever consider illegals crossing the border drive down wages which contributes to poverty?

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I was talking about the issues of poverty in their country, which is what they are trying to run away from.

If it wasn't such an issue I think there would be less people dying to get over here. Money is an evil thing.

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline
I was talking about the issues of poverty in their country, which is what they are trying to run away from.

If it wasn't such an issue I think there would be less people dying to get over here. Money is an evil thing.

sot it's ok if they export their poverty to the usa? and why is their government becoming the problem of the usa?

* ~ * Charles * ~ *