one...two...tree

U.S. citizen arrested under state's new anti-illegal immigrant law, Hispanic advocate says

682 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Well, the Presidential elections are certainly going to be interesting because if the bipartisan support of some kind of immigration reform which involves a guest worker program is so vehemently rejected by a number of people here, and illegal immigration occupies so much of their time and energy talking about it, who will they vote for? What Party or candidate is really in line with such a rigid approach towards immigration reform? Anyone?

For anyone needed a refresher on what provisions were contained in last Immigration Reform Bill:

Provisions

The Bill set forth border security and enforcement provisions, including provisions respecting [12]:

(1) personnel and asset increases and enhancements; (2) a National Strategy for Border Security; (3) border security initiatives, including biometric data enhancements and a biometric entry-exit system, document integrity, and mandatory detention of aliens apprehended at or between ports of entry; and (4) Central American gangs.

* Prohibits state and local law enforcement officers from helping the federal government enforce immigration violations, which they are presently allowed to do.

* Provides that the total number of aliens and dependents of such aliens who receive legal permanent resident status shall not exceed 18,000,000 during each 10-year period beginning with the period extending from 2007 through 2016.

* Border Tunnel Prevention Act - Provides criminal penalties for construction, financing, or use of illegal border tunnels or passages.

* Border Law Enforcement Relief Act of 2006 - Authorizes a border relief grant program for a tribal, state, or local law enforcement agency in a county: (1) no more than 100 miles from a U.S. border with Canada or Mexico; or (2) more than 100 miles from any such border but which is a high impact area.

* Sets forth interior enforcement provisions, including provisions respecting: (1) alien terrorists; (2) alien street gang members; (3) illegal entry and reentry; (4) passport and immigration fraud; (5) criminal aliens; (6) voluntary departure; (7) detention and alternatives; (8) criminal penalties; (9) alien smuggling; (10) tribal lands security; (11) state and local enforcement of immigration laws; (12) expedited removal; and (13) alien protection from sex offenders.

* Makes it unlawful to knowingly hire, recruit, or refer for a fee an unauthorized alien.

* Establishes in the Treasury the Employer Compliance Fund.

* Provides for additional worksite and fraud detection personnel.

* Provides for a report examining the impacts of the current and proposed annual grants of legal status, including immigrant and nonimmigrant status, along with the current level of illegal immigration, on U.S. infrastructure and quality of life.

* Establishes a temporary guest worker program (H-2C visa). Provides: (1) that the Secretary of Homeland Security shall determine H-2C eligibility; (2) for a three-year admission with one additional three-year extension; (3) issuance of H-4 nonimmigrant visas for accompanying or following spouse and children; (4) for U.S. worker protection; (5) for implementation of an alien employment management system; and (6) establishment of a Temporary Worker Task Force.

* Expands the S-visa (witness/informant) classification.

* Limits the L-visa (intracompany transfer) classification.

* Fairness in Immigration Litigation Act of 2006 - Sets forth provisions respecting remedies for immigration legislation.

* Sets forth backlog reduction provisions respecting: (1) family-sponsored and employment-based immigrant levels; (2) country limits; (3) immigrant visa allocations; (4) minor children; (5) shortage occupations; and (6) student and advanced degree visas.

* Widows and Orphans Act of 2006 - Establishes a special immigrant category for certain children and women at risk of harm.

* Immigrant Accountability Act of 2006 - Provides permanent resident status adjustment for a qualifying illegal alien (and the spouse and children of such alien) who has been in the United States for five years and employed (with exceptions) for specified periods of time.

* Authorizes mandatory departure and immigrant or nonimmigrant reentry for a qualifying illegal alien who has been present and employed in the United States since January 7, 2004. Establishes a three-year mandatory departure status, and sets forth immigration prohibitions and penalties for failure to depart or delayed departure. Subjects the spouse or children of a principal alien to the same conditions as such alien, except that if such alien meets the departure requirement the spouse and children will be deemed to have done so.

* Agricultural Job Opportunities, Benefits, and Security Act of 2006, or AgJOBS Act of 2006 - Establishes a pilot program (Blue Card program) for adjustment to permanent resident status of qualifying agricultural workers who have worked in the United States during the two-year period ending December 31, 2005, and have been employed for specified periods of time subsequent to enactment of this Act.

* Revises the H-2A visa (temporary agricultural worker) program.

* Development, Relief, and Education for Alien Minors Act of 2006 or the DREAM Act of 2006 - Eliminates denial of an unlawful alien's eligibility for higher education benefits based on state residence unless a U.S. national is similarly eligible without regard to such state residence. Authorizes cancellation of removal and adjustment to conditional permanent resident status of certain alien students who are long-term U.S. residents.

* Sets forth provisions respecting: (1) additional Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and Department of Justice immigration personnel; and (2) the Board of Immigration Appeals.

* Kendell Frederick Citizenship Assistance Act - Provides that fingerprints provided by a qualifying individual at the time of military enlistment shall satisfy naturalization fingerprint requirements. Requires the Secretary of Defense to establish the position of Citizenship Advocate at each military entry processing station.

* State Court Interpreter Grant Program Act - Provides state courts grants to assist individuals with limited English proficiency to access and understand court proceedings, and allocates funds for a related court interpreter technical assistance program.

* Border Infrastructure and Technology Modernization Act - Provides for: (1) a port of entry infrastructure assessment study; (2) a national land border security plan; and (3) a port of entry technology demonstration program.

* September 11 Family Humanitarian Relief and Patriotism Act - Provides permanent resident status adjustment or cancellation of removal and permanent resident status adjustment for a qualifying alien who was on September 10, 2001, the wife, child, or dependent son or daughter of a lawful nonimmigrant alien who died as a result of the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks against the United States.

Sets forth provisions respecting: (1) noncitizen Armed Forces membership; (2) nonimmigrant status for athletes; (3) extension of returning worker exemption; (4) surveillance programs, including aerial and unmanned aerial surveillance; (5) a Northern Border Prosecution Initiative; (6) reimbursement of Southern Border State and county prosecutors for prosecuting federally initiated drug cases; (7) conditional nonimmigrant worker-related grants; (8) border security on federal land; and (9) parole and status adjustment relief for qualifying widows and orphans.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comprehensive...orm_Act_of_2006

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
What exactly is that supposed to mean, NavarreMan? Isn't that a slightly inappropriate comment?

I took a stab at the ratio. If you have research to prove it wrong I welcome it with open arms. How many legal Mexican immigrants v. illegal Mexican immigrants? I stuck with Mexican immigrants because that was the nationality mentioned a short time ago and the direction this was going. It is also in keeping with the OP's original theme. I would also speculate that most immigrants, regardless of their nationality, are outnumbered by illegal fellow countrymen in the USA. I am not claiming it as fact. i am not going to bother with researching it. The problem definately exists.

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensedregistered pharmacist". (because somebody gives a damn)

Russia-USA.png

Together at last!!!

Entry 4/8/08

Marriage 6/7/08

LAISSEZ LES BONS TEMPS ROULER!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hmmm...thanks for the link. Very interesting, and I'm glad to learn something new for today.

However, it did say (and I know full well that wikipedia isn't the definitive source for information) that the term is used pejoratively these days. You wouldn't be making directly negative comments about me, would you? Just checking.

And devliette seems to be interested in drawing parallels between my point of view and the nationality of my spouse. NavarreMan also seems to find his thinly veiled jabs at the country from which my spouse hails VERY amusing.

Don't think I like the direction that you all are going in! It seems awfully personal!

Joined Blog Dorkdom. Read here: Visit My Website

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
What exactly is that supposed to mean, NavarreMan? Isn't that a slightly inappropriate comment?

I took a stab at the ratio. If you have research to prove it wrong I welcome it with open arms. How many legal Mexican immigrants v. illegal Mexican immigrants? I stuck with Mexican immigrants because that was the nationality mentioned a short time ago and the direction this was going. It is also in keeping with the OP's original theme. I would also speculate that most immigrants, regardless of their nationality, are outnumbered by illegal fellow countrymen in the USA. I am not claiming it as fact. i am not going to bother with researching it. The problem definately exists.

and while on that particular point, i'd like to make it clear i don't give a hoot what country an illegal is from, gtfo!

*preemptive strike to deny calls of racism*

(i'm loving your posts btw navarreman) :thumbs:

Hmmm...thanks for the link. Very interesting, and I'm glad to learn something new for today.

However, it did say (and I know full well that wikipedia isn't the definitive source for information) that the term is used pejoratively these days. You wouldn't be making directly negative comments about me, would you? Just checking.

And devliette seems to be interested in drawing parallels between my point of view and the nationality of my spouse. NavarreMan also seems to find his thinly veiled jabs at the country from which my spouse hails VERY amusing.

Don't think I like the direction that you all are going in! It seems awfully personal!

you did read the first line of the citation didn't you? you admitted to doing that.

A fifth column is a group of people who clandestinely undermine a larger group to which it is expected to be loyal, such as a nation.

Edited by charlesandnessa

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

I care about the Mexican government, but y'see, I can't vote there. Sometimes another country farking up means you have to deal. (e.g., Syria having to deal with Iraqi refugees even though it's nott ttheir faaaauuuult.)

Putting up a fence probably will slow some of it, at enormous annual expense, and won't do anything about the nine million or so already here, or the four million that got here by overstaying visas. You're going to have the desire for immigration as long as the Mexican economy sucks. Killing demand on this end is one way to go, and another way is killing the desire to leave on the other. The U.S. is an economic giant. Us making a tiny decision can drastically change fortunes in other countries (e.g., Canadian beef.)

And the stupid thing is, Mexico is just as blessed in terms of resources as is the U.S. It has oil. It has natural gas. It has fertile land. There is no way their only resource is people.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Timeline
I was talking about the issues of poverty in their country, which is what they are trying to run away from.

If it wasn't such an issue I think there would be less people dying to get over here. Money is an evil thing.

sot it's ok if they export their poverty to the usa? and why is their government becoming the problem of the usa?

For the same reason that the problems in Iraq are becoming the problems of neighboring countries, i.e., they're neighbors. I agree wholeheartedly that it's primarily Mexico's problem, but their problems don't exist in a vacuum. If there was a trade policy we could change that would make it feasible for some of the illegals to make a living at home (we're not talking enriching, we're talking surviving), wouldn't you think that was a good change to make? I don't think the border should be open. I've never advocated that. But I think that just saying, "so, they're broke, that means we should build a bigger fence" is at best a temporary solution.

was this the fault of the mexican government or the usa? should we start invading canada now that their dollar is higher than ours?

Who cares about whose fault it is? Who said anything about invading? Blame it all on Mexico if it makes you happy; it's still becoming our problem, and there's more ways to solve it than putting up a fence that covers less than half of the border.

oh i see, so their government can fark up non-stop and we pay the price because no one cares. yes it's our problem by proxy, but enough steel along the border will solve a majority of it.

5th column? Please explain!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifth_column

:thumbs::thumbs:

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensedregistered pharmacist". (because somebody gives a damn)

Russia-USA.png

Together at last!!!

Entry 4/8/08

Marriage 6/7/08

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline
What is post stalking? Educate me, please!

Thanks.

check out his replies, lately a majority of them have been only at goodvibes.

Yes...people are still illegally immigrating. There's your proof.

And its not just from Mexico.

oh i get it. because it still occurs we should stop trying to do anything, just throw up our hands and admit defeat?

the fence is one part of a many pronged solution. it's not meant to stop illegals 100% (unless of course we want to make it something like 100' deep and 200' high.....)

Post stalking - hmmm not really, I just see such HateVibes coming through I must address them, and anyway I got sick of talking with you, lets just say cause I read the posts of your wife, Nessa, and she definitely seems alrite and like a good person and also well lets just say there isn't so much stuff for me and you to talk about :) that was polite heh?

Put since you put your little mind out here to start yelling in my dirrection, I will address you, although I was not going to..... you say "because it still occurs we should stop trying to do anything, just throw up our hands and admit defeat?"

I feel like I have heard this before!

"Birds of a feather, are flocking together"

Timeline
I care about the Mexican government, but y'see, I can't vote there. Sometimes another country farking up means you have to deal. (e.g., Syria having to deal with Iraqi refugees even though it's nott ttheir faaaauuuult.)

Putting up a fence probably will slow some of it, at enormous annual expense, and won't do anything about the nine million or so already here, or the four million that got here by overstaying visas. You're going to have the desire for immigration as long as the Mexican economy sucks. Killing demand on this end is one way to go, and another way is killing the desire to leave on the other. The U.S. is an economic giant. Us making a tiny decision can drastically change fortunes in other countries (e.g., Canadian beef.)

And the stupid thing is, Mexico is just as blessed in terms of resources as is the U.S. It has oil. It has natural gas. It has fertile land. There is no way their only resource is people.

oh i know it has all that. so much corruption down there only a select few get the wealth. and i agree that we need to end the demand for the labor as a major part of it.

are you sure we can't invade canada though? i heard they have good beer :D

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Timeline

I said "greatest natural resource" not "only".

Russia-USA.png

Together at last!!!

Entry 4/8/08

Marriage 6/7/08

Timeline
What is post stalking? Educate me, please!

Thanks.

check out his replies, lately a majority of them have been only at goodvibes.

Yes...people are still illegally immigrating. There's your proof.

And its not just from Mexico.

oh i get it. because it still occurs we should stop trying to do anything, just throw up our hands and admit defeat?

the fence is one part of a many pronged solution. it's not meant to stop illegals 100% (unless of course we want to make it something like 100' deep and 200' high.....)

Post stalking - hmmm not really, I just see such HateVibes coming through I must address them, and anyway I got sick of talking with you, lets just say cause I read the posts of your wife, Nessa, and she definitely seems alrite and like a good person and also well lets just say there isn't so much stuff for me and you to talk about :) that was polite heh?

Put since you put your little mind out here to start yelling in my dirrection, I will address you, although I was not going to..... you say "because it still occurs we should stop trying to do anything, just throw up our hands and admit defeat?"

I feel like I have heard this before!

"Birds of a feather, are flocking together"

impressive, your english is readable this time. i'm also sure you've also heard that if you sleep with dogs you'll wake up with fleas.....that could well apply to this topic too ;)

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Filed: Timeline

It's always personal with them when it comes to illegals. It's their way of getting to you. I used to let it bother me but now I try to just ignore them. To think that anyone of them could have compassion for another human being is a stupid idea around here, apparently. To ask them to try and understand the illegals "position" before coming to the US is a stupid idea also, apparently. Those would all require them to actually stop screaming out "I hate illegals" and "GTFO"'s and think a little bit. It's too much to ask. Just let it go. I would hate for one of them to have been less fortunate to have actually been born in Mexico instead of here. They'd obviously have starved by now because they are too high up on their pedestal to do anything like cross the border to get their family food.

Edited by Bootylicious

Just couldn't stay my @ss away!

Timeline

It's always personal with them when it comes to illegals. It's their way of getting to you. I used to let it bother me but now I try to just ignore them. To think that anyone of them could have compassion for another human being is a stupid idea around here, apparently. To ask them to try and understand the illegals "position" before coming to the US is a stupid idea also, apparently. Those would all require them to actually stop screaming out "I hate illegals" and "GTFO"'s and think a little bit. It's too much to ask. Just let it go. I would hate for one of them to have been less fortunate to have actually been born in Mexico instead of here. They'd obviously have starved by now because they are too high up on their pedestal to do anything like cross the border to get their family food.

that's making excuses for them, booty. it don't fly with me.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

the worse part, is how members here talk about the illegal immigrants, when some members so's at some point were illegals too and 'jumped over the fence'.. why don't you say it to their faces instead of going all general 'I don't care about illegals' and 'GTFO'.. why not tell directly to these members? Don't yall realize you might be hurting these members too?

El Presidente of VJ

regalame una sonrisita con sabor a viento

tu eres mi vitamina del pecho mi fibra

tu eres todo lo que me equilibra,

un balance, lo que me conplementa

un masajito con sabor a menta,

Deutsch: Du machst das richtig

Wohnen Heute

3678632315_87c29a1112_m.jpgdancing-bear.gif

Filed: Timeline

Charles nothing flies with you except your ideas and ideals. It's useless to try and get you to see any other side of any argument you don't agree with. Haven't you noticed I don't try anymore? I have a million better things to do than try to convince you to have some compassion for someone in a worse situation than yourself. It's still mind boggling to me how some one can be so heartless.

Just couldn't stay my @ss away!

At least stick to the arguments and don't point at particular members because of the flag they are flying, that's just low.

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .