Asante Maroon

The Best Calling Card to Call Ghana

35 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
I use Pingo, well not much any more since my husband is here. He's the one using it, now! I like it for many reasons, especially because we could print out the call logs, which was very helpful for the interview. As with calling cards you don't have a record. From what I understand it is a big plus to have calling logs for the interview. I got real spoiled with pingo and didn't want to go back to calling cards, I love getting through the first time dialing, clear calls, pinless. There's a lot of plusses. I'd keep using it.

When printing the call logs from pingo, it opens up to an excel spread sheet but its not on any type of pingo letter head...is this still considered acceptable at the embassy? Because the only way that I see that I can get the pingo logo on there is if I print each page one by one, which wastes time and paper...not to mention more costly to mail because of the weight!

OR am I just not seeing another way?

OTxq.jpgAsante Maroon

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Ghana
Timeline
I use Pingo, well not much any more since my husband is here. He's the one using it, now! I like it for many reasons, especially because we could print out the call logs, which was very helpful for the interview. As with calling cards you don't have a record. From what I understand it is a big plus to have calling logs for the interview. I got real spoiled with pingo and didn't want to go back to calling cards, I love getting through the first time dialing, clear calls, pinless. There's a lot of plusses. I'd keep using it.

When printing the call logs from pingo, it opens up to an excel spread sheet but its not on any type of pingo letter head...is this still considered acceptable at the embassy? Because the only way that I see that I can get the pingo logo on there is if I print each page one by one, which wastes time and paper...not to mention more costly to mail because of the weight!

OR am I just not seeing another way?

I actually spent a bit of time printing those call logs out. Mine didn't open to the excel spread sheet, but I selected the section that I wanted to print and printed on both sides of the paper, lol. It did take time to do, and it was better to use up both sides, much less paper. Also, when I selected the portion I wanted to print, it didn't have pingo's name anywhere on it. I did just the portion in dark and light blue, so maybe you could print out the spread sheet, during the interview they didn't ask anything about the call logs.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

We use pingo.

K-1 (more detail in profile):

05-25-05 - Applied for I-129F

06-07-05 - Approved

12-01-05 - Picked up visa!!

AOS:

12-25-05 - Flight lands at JFK - EAD stamp

05-15-06 - Green card received!! Woo-hoo!!!

05-09-07 - Our first son born!

Removal of Conditions

01-29-08 - Mailed Removal of Conditions Application (overnight)

02-07-08 - Check Cashed

02-08-08 - NOA1

03-12-08 - Biometrics

12-12-08 - Card production ordered! Yay!

12-30-08 - 10 year card received! Yay!

Naturalization

01-12-10 - Mailed application

01-20-10 - NOA

02-16-10 - Biometrics

04-21-10 - Interview

04-21-10 - Oath ceremony - US CITIZEN!!!

Timeline
Asante, maybe you are charged cause you live in same state as the company. I dont know if jajah NEVER charges tax but I am in cali and it doesnt charge me tax. and you dont lose your min if you dont connect but be careful if you dotry because sometimes it will connect but its a bad connect and you will hear just silence but the min are being used. just hang and try again. Im doing to try pingo and compare.

I think you will be satisfied with the service.

OTxq.jpgAsante Maroon

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
Asante, maybe you are charged cause you live in same state as the company. I dont know if jajah NEVER charges tax but I am in cali and it doesnt charge me tax. and you dont lose your min if you dont connect but be careful if you dotry because sometimes it will connect but its a bad connect and you will hear just silence but the min are being used. just hang and try again. Im doing to try pingo and compare.

I have signed up and used pingo this last week. It does sound clear and I do like it but I might keep using jajah, cause they do sound the same in quality but jajah allows me to text for .06 a text to my husband. you can call jajah to jajah for free but not all countries have it :( Im thinking of using both. Jajah allows u to print out your log too and it shows yr sms activity too.

I have signed up and used pingo this last week. It does sound clear and I do like it but I might keep using jajah, cause they do sound the same in quality but jajah allows me to text for .06 a text to my husband. you can call jajah to jajah for free but not all countries have it :( Im thinking of using both. Jajah allows u to print out your log too and it shows yr sms activity too.

03/09/2013: Married

09/10/2013: Sent I-130

09/12/2013: Case Received.

03/04/2014: Petition transferred to Nebraska Service Center.

03/25/2014: I-130 Petition approved

03/28/2014: Petition sent to NVC

04/09/2014: NVC received case

05/08/2014: NVC assigned case number

05/16/2014: Paid AOS fee

10/02/2014: Case Closed

10/10/2014: Interview Date Scheduled

11/17/2014: Interview - APPROVED!!

Timeline

oh ok.

OTxq.jpgAsante Maroon

Timeline

Pingo! Pingo! Pingo!! I like it because I can use it from anywhere as long as I have the access number. I have the number programed in my cell and on my home phone. Even when I was stationed in Italy I was able to use it from work with no problem. I had vonage at home, it of course it was no problem. My husband uses it now to call home. I will admit that sometimes we have to call several times before we can get connected, but I think that has to do with the phone lines in Ghana, not Pingo. We also used the spreadsheet printout for my husband's interview with no problems. We included 3 months worth of calls. There were so many calls listed that I assume they don't think we sat down and made that whole thing up.. It's okay if it doesn't have the Pingo logo, it still looks like a phone log. Just wanted to add my two cents...

Edited by Sankofa

K-1

October 10, 2006 - Mailed I-129F to TSC via Express Mail guaranteed 3 day delivery (NOT!!)

October 23, 2006 - NOA1

October 27, 2006 - Check cashed - called bank to obtain case# from back of check

October 31, 2006 - Received NOA1 via snail mail

January 17, 2007 - NOA2

January 24, 2007 - NVC received petition

January 25, 2007 - Petition forwarded to Ghana

March 11, 2007 - Fiance receives letter from Embassy dated February 12 informing him to come pick up Packet 3!!! (case never lost!!!)

March 27, 2007 - Packet 3 received from Embassy

March 28, 2007 - Packet 3 returned, Packet 4 received with interview date

July 12, 2007 - Interview Date

August 10, 2007 - Picked up Visa from American Embassy in Accra

August 11, 2007 - Engagement Ceremony in Accra, Ghana

August 21, 2007 - MY BABY CAME HOME!!! POE - JFK

AOS

August 27, 2007 - Civil Marriage Ceremony

September 21, 2007 - Package sent to Chicago Lockbox

September 28, 2007 - Check cashed

October 1, 2007 - Received NOA's (1-485, I-131, I-765) in mail dated September 27, 2007

October 21, 2007 - Wedding Day!!

October 22, 2007 - Original date for Biometrics appt (missed appt because of honeymoon)

November 7, 2007 - Walked in to USCIS Jacksonville and had biometrics taken with no problems

November 13, 2007 - AP Received

November 19, 2007 - EAD Received

November 29, 2007 - Case transferred to CSC

January 22, 2007 - RECEIVED GREEN CARD IN MAIL DATED JANUARY 14, 2008!!!!

Timeline
Pingo! Pingo! Pingo!! I like it because I can use it from anywhere as long as I have the access number. I have the number programed in my cell and on my home phone. Even when I was stationed in Italy I was able to use it from work with no problem. I had vonage at home, it of course it was no problem. My husband uses it now to call home. I will admit that sometimes we have to call several times before we can get connected, but I think that has to do with the phone lines in Ghana, not Pingo. We also used the spreadsheet printout for my husband's interview with no problems. We included 3 months worth of calls. There were so many calls listed that I assume they don't think we sat down and made that whole thing up.. It's okay if it doesn't have the Pingo logo, it still looks like a phone log. Just wanted to add my two cents...

Thank you sooooo much Sankofa!!!! I was concerned about the spreadsheet, but glad to know it won't be a problem. Thanks mama!

OTxq.jpgAsante Maroon

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

oh my husband never got my text messages in brazil nor i got his here. so we don't text any more

but we use msn messenger. brazil has pretty good internet service, THANK GOD.

i feel sorry for you African couples!!!!!!!! that would be the just horrible, not to be able to communicate to my husband at length. phone is soooooo expensive. argh.

keep your phone bill records!

i started to print our emails, and in just over 1 year, we have more than 600 emails! that doesn't includes msn conversations and phone calls. incredible what power love has.

Timeline
oh my husband never got my text messages in brazil nor i got his here. so we don't text any more

but we use msn messenger. brazil has pretty good internet service, THANK GOD.

i feel sorry for you African couples!!!!!!!! that would be the just horrible, not to be able to communicate to my husband at length. phone is soooooo expensive. argh.

keep your phone bill records!

i started to print our emails, and in just over 1 year, we have more than 600 emails! that doesn't includes msn conversations and phone calls. incredible what power love has.

:lol: You are so right. I bet you if someone would have told you years ago that you would be sending that many e-mails and going throught his process for love, you would have highly doubted it. I know I would! :)

OTxq.jpgAsante Maroon

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
Hey Guys,

For a while I was using various phone cards that can be bought in the stores. You all know the drama...dropped calls, unclear lines, can't get through, they say 32 minutes and you really get 20 minutes, etc....

Since then, I was introduced to pingo.com. I think its ok so far. Its cool because I don't have to buy paper phone cards anymore and I am able to recharge my minutes online :D $20 plus tax ($21.68) gives you a little over 200 minutes.

BUT, I don't have anything to compare pingo to, so I was wondering what kind of phone cards you guys use to call Ghana, how it works and how you feel about it.

Maybe we can help each other save some money and make the best of our $$$. Because as we all know, a long distance relationship, not to mention this process can be VERY expensive....

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

We use Pingo I used it before he got here and he uses it now to call friends and family. I discovered a little trick. My Husband usually makes the calls from his cell phone...yikes the minutes, if you call and dont get connected we were being charged, 1 min 1 min 1 min GRRRR! :angry: We have T Mobile 5 Faves, now you cant put an 800 number in your faves, they wont let you...but I found a local access number :whistle: put that in the faves...now he can use the Pingo network and it does not count against his cell minutes, we only pay to charge up the Pingo!! :thumbs:

wanted to add... I printed out call records from Pingo for our interview, they did not have a problem with those.

Edited by Heather & Justice

Filed: Country: Ivory Coast
Timeline
I use jajah. Its a voip thing. It cost me .16 a min to ghana cell. I add min online and can text very reliably (online) to my husband at .6 a text. you have the computer make your connection for you and then your phone rings and it says to wait while your phone is connected. you can print out a very detailed log. Sometimes the connection is not so great but Ill hang up and call again and its fine. You know whats funny? I think a lot in ghana use because one time I called my hubby and got crosswired to another man in ghana and we were both clueless. But that only happened once. what i love is there are no pins and I save his numbers to my website and i just click and it dials. I have internet on my cell phone and will connect to jajah.com on it and that lets me dial a call from my cell. I wish they would allow me to text on my phone. cause at&t charges me .20 and there is no way around that cause international text arent part of yr unlimited text deal. I think i will check out pingo to compare it though. I see that that is 14.5 to ghana. I gotta see if you can text from the site though. I love that feature with jajah and how it is so cheap and reliable.

Never had crossed lines on pingo and I don't believe you can text through their service. I like them though

i used several different ones and am pleased with pingo

Thank goodness my SO just got a landline....mannnnnn those calling cards were breaking my pockets....seriously! I use these phone cards called africa sky or somethingl like that...its lime green...I get em from gas station....best bang for ur buck. You can call naija mobile phone and talk for like an hour and 10 minutes for five bucks. I buy that when i wanna talk to my SO for long, but any other time I try and buy through this site called Pushline UK. Anyhoo...it allows me to track calls...and will allow for easy printing come interview time. Amazes me to see how much i've spent on phone calls during the year....things we do for love.

We also just started using yahoo messenger....saves us lots of money as well!

June 8th - I-129F mailed to VSC

June 13th - NOA1

November 9th - NOA2!!!

January 10th - APPROVED!

January 24 - Pick up visa

January 31 - Honey arrives in US!

February 28- Court marriage

May 2- NOA1 for I-485 and EAD

May 31- Biometrics

June 2- TOUCHED

Sept 2008 - Perm resident

12/7/12. File n-400 at Dallas Lockbox

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.