no name

Oklahoma targets illegal immigrants with tough new law

304 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline
What was the intent of this by the OP'er? Another tedious II debate?

Maybe it was .. Illegals ... go the fuque home .. we don't want you here ..

No it ###### wasn't.

Having problems with language skills ??? :blink:

Problems with free speach on VJ :P

not at all ... lets see ... guess people get to fill in the blank .. it just appears to be a loss of words

No it maybe wasn't

No it wasn't (cleaned it up a little more here) :P

oh and vj is monitored and has posted rules ... speech here is at the discretion of others ... not free (it's been discussed before)

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline
It's not yet clear how the law will be enforced. Illegal immigrants in Oklahoma fear police will use the law for roundups of anyone working and living in the state illegally.

well hello, that's what it's intent is ;)

To Illegals ...

Be Afraid ... Be Very Afraid .... :thumbs:

Hint ... go home and live in peace .. .

Feb only has 28 days!! Every 4 yrs will be 29 days....Poor fellow....

What are you on about?

Filed: Country: Belarus
Timeline
i've never set foot in ok. plan never to. this just reaffirms me thoughts on it.

immigration is a fed issue. this law will be overturned.

nothing new here folks. move along now.

Daniel

:energetic:

What's your point? You only travel to locals where illegal aliens are welcome? LoL

Illegal immigration a Federal issue? Let's see...12 to 20+ million illegal aliens in the USA...1/6 of the people walking the streets of Houston are illegal aliens...66% of the babies born in Houston hospitals are the children of illegal aliens.

It looks like the Fed can't be counted on to do the job it is sworn to do. If the Fed can't or won't do its sworn duty to the American people...the American people do what they have to do to protect themselves from being invaded.

The Fed won't stop the invasion, but it is going to stop the American people from protecting their own best interests? We'll see who eventually wins...and I do not believe it will be the illegal aliens and their enablers.

"Credibility in immigration policy can be summed up in one sentence: Those who should get in, get in; those who should be kept out, are kept out; and those who should not be here will be required to leave."

"...for the system to be credible, people actually have to be deported at the end of the process."

US Congresswoman Barbara Jordan (D-TX)

Testimony to the House Immigration Subcommittee, February 24, 1995

Under this law, if USCIS screwed up and rejected your spouse's application, as happens from time to time due to a missed appointment letter, you'd have committed a felony for having knowingly harbored an illegal alien.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
i've never set foot in ok. plan never to. this just reaffirms me thoughts on it.

Daniel

What's your point? You only travel to locals where illegal aliens are welcome? LoL

Illegal immigration a Federal issue? Let's see...12 to 20+ million illegal aliens in the USA...1/6 of the people walking the streets of Houston are illegal aliens...66% of the babies born in Houston hospitals are the children of illegal aliens.

It looks like the Fed can't be counted on to do the job it is sworn to do. If the Fed can't or won't do its sworn duty to the American people...the American people do what they have to do to protect themselves from being invaded.

The Fed won't stop the invasion, but it is going to stop the American people from protecting their own best interests? We'll see who eventually wins...and I do not believe it will be the illegal aliens and their enablers.

ummm do you really not understand the point? ahem let me try to keep it short and simple then. Certain areas are law are divided into the overlapping governmental entities. immigration pertains to the feds. constructing a school pertains to the local school district.

re visitng ok. prior to this, there was no there there for me. after this law, even less.

Daniel

Ana (Mexico) ------ Daniel (California)(me)

---------------------------------------------

Sept. 11, 2004: Got married (civil), in Mexico :D

July 23, 2005: Church wedding

===============================

K3(I-129F):

Oct. 28, 2004: Mailed I-129F.

~USPS, First-Class, Certified Mail, Rtn Recpt ($5.80)

Nov. 3, 2004: NOA1!!!!

Nov. 5, 2004: Check Cashed!!

zzzz deep hibernationn zzzz

May 12, 2005 NOA2!!!! #######!!! huh???

off to NVC.

May 26, 2005: NVC approves I129F.

CR1(I-130):

Oct. 6, 2004: Mailed I-130.

~USPS, First-Class, Certified Mail, Rtn Recpt ($5.80)

Oct. 8, 2004: I-130 Delivered to CSC in Laguna Niguel.

~Per USPS website's tracking tool.

Oct. 12, 2004 BCIS-CSC Signs for I-130 packet.

Oct. 21, 2004 Check cashed!

Oct. 25, 2004 NOA1 (I-130) Go CSC!!

Jan. 05, 2005 Approved!!!! Off to NVC!!!!

NVC:

Jan. 05, 2005 ---> in route from CSC

Jan. 12, 2005 Case entered system

Jan. 29, 2005 Received I-864 Bill

Jan. 31, 2005 Sent Payment to St. Louis(I864)

Feb. 01, 2005 Wife received DS3032(Choice of Agent)

Feb. 05, 2005 Payment Received in St. Louis(I864)

Feb. 08, 2005 Sent DS3032 to Portsmouth NH

Feb. 12, 2005 DS3032 Received by NVC

Mar. 04, 2005 Received IV Bill

Mar. 04, 2005 Sent IV Bill Payment

Mar. 08, 2005 Received I864

Mar. 19, 2005 Sent I864

Mar. 21, 2005 I864 Received my NVC

Apr. 18, 2005 Received DS230

Apr. 19, 2005 Sent DS230

Apr. 20, 2005 DS230 received by NVC (signed by S Merfeld)

Apr. 22, 2005 DS230 entered NVC system

Apr. 27, 2005 CASE COMPLETE

May 10, 2005 CASE SENT TO JUAREZ

Off to Cd. Juarez! :D

calls to NVC: 6

CIUDAD JUAREZ, American Consulate:

Apr. 27, 2005 case completed at NVC.

May 10, 2005 in route to Juarez.

May 25, 2005 Case at consulate.

-- Legal Disclaimer:What I say is only a reflection of what I did, going to do, or may do; it may also reflect what I have read others did, are going to do, or may do. What you do or may do is what you do or may do. You do so or may do so strictly out of your on voilition; or follow what a lawyer advised you to do, or may do. Having said that: have a nice day!

Timeline
Under this law, if USCIS screwed up and rejected your spouse's application, as happens from time to time due to a missed appointment letter, you'd have committed a felony for having knowingly harbored an illegal alien.

Oh...come on now. Anybody with some common sense knows darned well what the intent of the law really is and who the law is going after.

"Credibility in immigration policy can be summed up in one sentence: Those who should get in, get in; those who should be kept out, are kept out; and those who should not be here will be required to leave."

"...for the system to be credible, people actually have to be deported at the end of the process."

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

IMO

As you put forth the facts that would be nearly impossible to prosecute. If USCIS screwed, up the burden would be on them to prove they acted in good faith and with due diligence. But you say they screwed up which takes the case in the other direction. No felony. However, if there is a problem and you are told that the legal immigrant must vacate the country until things are straightened out and you refuse to do so then you could be looking at other penalties.

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensedregistered pharmacist". (because somebody gives a damn)

Russia-USA.png

Together at last!!!

Entry 4/8/08

Marriage 6/7/08

LAISSEZ LES BONS TEMPS ROULER!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Daniel

ummm do you really not understand the point? ahem let me try to keep it short and simple then. Certain areas are law are divided into the overlapping governmental entities. immigration pertains to the feds. constructing a school pertains to the local school district.

re visitng ok. prior to this, there was no there there for me. after this law, even less.

Daniel

Enforcement of immigration is a federal issue. States can still enact laws that protect their borders and resources. On what grounds to you rationalize that this will be overturned at the Federal level? What Federal laws are being broken? The laws that are being broken are those violated by illegal immigrants and the employeers and not enforced by the Federal Government. Not only should the State be allowed to aid in the enforcement of the Federal laws but the State should claim compensation from the Federal Governemt for having to do the job the Feds refuse or are incapable of handling on their own.

I know we ran into a bunch of analogies before on this but I will throw one more out there. If everyone in this country habitually ran stop signs, would the answer be to remove all the stop signs? The problem is not the law. It is the enforcement of the law. (or lack of enforcement)

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensedregistered pharmacist". (because somebody gives a damn)

Russia-USA.png

Together at last!!!

Entry 4/8/08

Marriage 6/7/08

LAISSEZ LES BONS TEMPS ROULER!!

Oh...come on now. Anybody with some common sense knows darned well what the intent of the law really is and who the law is going after.

Sure, but what the intent is and what the statute are two different things. The statute says 'knowingly harbor illegal', not 'but it's okay if it's your spouse and it was USCIS's fault your petition was rejected' or 'we didn't have the money to file AOS right away' or 'I wanted to make sure she wasn't using me for a greencard first so I delayed filing a year.'

The kid that was just released after serving two years because when he was 17 his 15 year-old girlfriend gave him a ####### probably would have liked the statute to have been revised when the legislature accidentally made blowjobs (but not sex) between underage people a sex crime, not told 'oh, they won't arrest you, just bad people.'

I don't like laws that depend on people saying 'oh, don't worry, they're not really after you, you're not invading the country, you don't look like the sort they'd arrest', because in my experience, tightening up laws leads not to illegals leaving but lots of people posting that they can't get their legal spouse a driver's license, or a bank account, or a social security number, because they can't prove she's here legally because their AOS hasn't processed and no one knows what that K-1 thingy is. The last thing legal immigrants need on top of this are businesses refusing to allow them to rent or stay in the property because they can't prove they're legally here for the term of a lease.

Edited by Caladan

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

Immiigration law is not solely limited to federal jurisdiction. By federal law, states and municiplities are disallowed from enabling illegals, and that's what Oklahoma is legislating to. It would be admirable if the feds would crack down on those cities and states that do violate federal law by welcoming and accomodating illegals. Since they will not, it is up to localites to protect themselves from federal negligience. The tide is turning; this law was upheld by a federal judge, and with more such cases moving up the pipeline, Constitutional authorities will have the Hobson's Choice of protecting American sovereignty or opening our borders and wallets to illegals even further. That is where the rubber meets the road. I'm ready.

Edited by Green-eyed girl

You are ready? Ready for what? Are you an employee of a law enforcement agency? If not, perhaps you are ready for some vigilante type action?

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Timeline

Sure, but what the intent is and what the statute are two different things. The statute says 'knowingly harbor illegal', not 'but it's okay if it's your spouse and it was USCIS's fault your petition was rejected' or 'we didn't have the money to file AOS right away' or 'I wanted to make sure she wasn't using me for a greencard first so I delayed filing a year.'

The kid that was just released after serving two years because when he was 17 his 15 year-old girlfriend gave him a ####### probably would have liked the statute to have been revised when the legislature accidentally made blowjobs (but not sex) between underage people a sex crime, not told 'oh, they won't arrest you, just bad people.'

I don't like laws that depend on people saying 'oh, don't worry, they're not really after you, you're not invading the country, you don't look like the sort they'd arrest', because in my experience, tightening up laws leads not to illegals leaving but lots of people posting that they can't get their legal spouse a driver's license, or a bank account, or a social security number, because they can't prove she's here legally because their AOS hasn't processed and no one knows what that K-1 thingy is. The last thing legal immigrants need on top of this are businesses refusing to allow them to rent or stay in the property because they can't prove they're legally here for the term of a lease.

I've personally been through the "process" from one end to the other. My wife just filed for US citizenship last week. My stepdaughter came here to the USA on a K-2 as an 18 year old adult. At no time during the process did I ever not have any proof that they weren't in the USA legally. In due time we got all the necessary Social Security cards, driver's licenses, bank accounts, credit cards, etc., etc. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt to prove it.

I don't see any problem with the Oklahoma law. It never would have caused me or mine any problems if we had to live under it.

It just pisses off the crowd that thinks anybody that sneaks into the USA on an innertube should be able to live, thrive, and survive illegally with impunity in the USA and that they are untouchable. They can ruminate forever thinking of reasons not to do anything about anything because...the sky will fall and the world will end.

At least some folks aren't sitting around with their heads in the sand waiting for another 20 million illegal aliens to invade.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

I agree. The idea that I as a U.S. citizen may have to prove my citizenship everytime I'm pulled over by a traffic cop is an infringement on my civil liberties. Not only that, it's making traffic cops in charge of immigration enforcement. Same with holding me prosecutable for my passenger's legal resident status.

Just another half-hearted attempt at trying to resolve a national issue on a local scale...without comprehensive, federal immigration reform, anothing less will be disasterous.

Edited by Mister Fancypants

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
The new law restricts the ability of illegal immigrants to obtain government IDs or public assistance. It also gives police authority to check the immigration status of anyone arrested, which can lead to deportations.

Checking the immigration status of anyone arrested, eh? So, what if you don't have an immigration status because you were born here? Are you going to have to prove that too?

Mainly I'm just wondering how this anti-illegal immigrant law is going to affect regular Joe Blow Americans.

off topic

From what I've experienced, Oklahoma is a rather bad place to live. Tattoos are illegal and their roads suck, too. Are they EVER going to finish redoing that stretch of I-35 just north of Oklahoma city and south of Kansas? I swear to god, they've been working on it since I was 6.

/off topic

Just so you know, tattoos have been legal for two years now. It ain't all that bad living here. ;)

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.