RumRunner

Lengthy visits while waiting

36 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
I am making another trip tomorrow! This time Thailand. We've visited a lot of countries together, places I would have never gone but Russians can only go to certain countries without a visa. I'm flat broke because of this but nothing matters more to me. I don't know how people do it if they don't have the time & money, but in my opinion Canadian/US couples have nothing to complain about. :)

Believe me, I'm not complaining. :star: I know I have it a lot easier than a lot of couples on here. I feel very fortunate we do get to see each other as often as we do. I was just curious how some other couples manage to take so much time together while the paperwork is processing.

I love hearing everyone's stories! Thank you again!

Edited by RumRunner

Amy & Ryan

Met April 22, 2007 on Serenade of the Seas during Panama Canal cruise

Married May 09, 2009 in Fabulous Las Vegas

06/29/09 Mailed AOS Package to Chicago Lockbox

07/02/09 USCIS Signed for package

07/08/09 First NOA's for I-130, I-485, I-765 & I-131

07/10/09 USCIS Cashed checks

07/13/09 Biometrics letter generated

07/19/09 Biometrics letter received, appointment set for 07-28-09

07/23/09 Early Biometrics appointment (walk-in) at USCIS Goleta, CA office

07/29/09 Received Notice of Interview Date, set for September 01, 2009 in Los Angeles

08/31/09 Received AP (two of them)

09/01/09 Interview in Los Angeles - APPROVED! Yay! Card production ordered

09/05/09 EAD received

09/12/09 Green card received in the mail!

Start to Finish only 76 days!

06/06/11 Mailed I-751 Package to California USCIS

06/09/11 First NOA for I-751

08/05/11 Biometrics appointment at USCIS Oxnard, CA office

10/19/11 Received email and text that card production was ordered

10/20/11 Received email and text that application had been approved

10/25/11 Received NOA in mail regarding approval and card production ordered

10/26/11 Received Green Card in the mail!

Start to Finish 142 days!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

We had basically the same arrangements you do. Both of us worked and we would arrange for long weekends together using holiday and vacation days so we would have a 4 day visit alternating locations each month. This worked for the first few months (it took 9 months for us to go from application to approval for the K-1, then another 5 weeks before I could move south). We actually only got one visit in during the summer because of work schedules, and two in the fall due to work schedules, so he took a full 10 days of holidays and vacation days at Christmas to spend it with me. It was the longest time we had been together. Our I-129f was actually approved December 30th while he was here visiting (we applied June 19th). Because I needed to save money for the medical and the flight to Montreal we didn't actually visit in person again from January 2 until he flew up to drive me 'home' in early May.

You live with the hope of seeing each other soon counting down the days, and then with the knowledge that just a few more weeks and you will have the visa, and then the flurry of final arrangements when you finally do have the visa and know you are leaving. Spend this time with your friends and family at home, knowing that when you are finally together you will have each other, but you will be leaving them behind. When it is all said and done, the time apart really does 'disappear' into your memory. Good luck on your journey.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Well I do feel bad for Canadians in how long it takes to get the interview. You'd think the consulate would have forseen this happening and staffed up a while ago. The internet has increased long distance romance between states as much as between countries and it seems everybody knows that now. Many people I know are marrying someone from across the country so it does not surprise me to see the surge of American/Canadian romances. I wonder how many American fiances/spouses make the move north? I'd guess just as many.

Visa took too long, grew apart and withdrew visa after six months.

The first time we spent a lot of time together, he was in the US on a student visa (where we met). Then 2nd time, I was still in college and got a student work permit to the UK and worked over there for the summer. I think most people can't really take that much time together though. Ah the joys of international relationships... :whistle:

Timeline

AOS

Mailed AOS, EAD and AP Sept 11 '07

Recieved NOA1's for all Sept 23 or 24 '07

Bio appt. Oct. 24 '07

EAD/AP approved Nov 26 '07

Got the AP Dec. 3 '07

AOS interview Feb 7th (5 days after the 1 year anniversary of our K1 NOA1!

Stuck in FBI name checks...

Got the GC July '08

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Switzerland
Timeline

Our personal story is along the same lines as the others. Although I am the USC of the two, I was naturalized from France a year ago (got my green card then citizenship via my first marriage --long story short: married 6 years, didn't work, met my now-fiancee, divorced, got my citizenship, applied for a K-1--).

Plus I work for a French industrial group as an executive and I am sent to France 2/3 times a year for business, so we spent romantic weekends in Paris, plus my 3 weeks of vacation throughout the year. On her side, she had 5 weeks of vacation which she spent in LA or in France with me. All in all, we managed to see each other every 4 to 7 weeks for about a week at the time.

Since the NOA2 (10/05) she is here on a VWP for 3 months and she will just have to return to Switzerland for the interview (everything else is done, medical, I-134...) and we will get married as soon as she returns.

Good luck

Stephan

Our AOS Timeline:

01/24/08 Sent AOS, EAD, AP Documents

02/01/08 $1010 check cashed

02/07/08 Receipt Notices for all 3 applications with MSC numbers

03/14/08 AP approved

03/28/08 AP in hand

and waiting...

Our K-1 timeline:

05/08/07 I-129F Received

10/10/07 reception of NOA2

11/05/07 case sent by NVC to Bern (31 days since NOA2). Sibylle will be contacted once they physically receive the file. Getting prepared for the interview...

11/26/07 Interview scheduled PASSED!!!

11/30/06 Visa in hands!!!!!!!

10/20/07 Sibylle lands at LAX for good (aside for a round-trip to Bern for the interview when it eventually comes) on a 3 months VWP...

12/09/07 Sibylle lands back in LA

12/24/07 Administrative marriage in the US!!

Timeline
We had basically the same arrangements you do. Both of us worked and we would arrange for long weekends together using holiday and vacation days so we would have a 4 day visit alternating locations each month. This worked for the first few months (it took 9 months for us to go from application to approval for the K-1, then another 5 weeks before I could move south). We actually only got one visit in during the summer because of work schedules, and two in the fall due to work schedules, so he took a full 10 days of holidays and vacation days at Christmas to spend it with me. It was the longest time we had been together. Our I-129f was actually approved December 30th while he was here visiting (we applied June 19th). Because I needed to save money for the medical and the flight to Montreal we didn't actually visit in person again from January 2 until he flew up to drive me 'home' in early May.

You live with the hope of seeing each other soon counting down the days, and then with the knowledge that just a few more weeks and you will have the visa, and then the flurry of final arrangements when you finally do have the visa and know you are leaving. Spend this time with your friends and family at home, knowing that when you are finally together you will have each other, but you will be leaving them behind. When it is all said and done, the time apart really does 'disappear' into your memory. Good luck on your journey.

9 months?!? Ugh! You'd think that with Canada being pretty benign and adjacent and NAFTA and all that great stuff that it wouldn't be so darn long. I was anticipating 6-9 months, with the hopes of being more like 6 but now I guess I ought to assume much much longer. At least there is good info on here of what is really going on. I wish my boyfriend could use his vacation days to come here for Christmas but winter is his busy time at work (propane business) so it's hard for him to get away until spring. Thank you for the luck!

Amy & Ryan

07/29/09 Received Notice of Interview Date, set for September 01, 2009 in Los Angeles

09/05/09 EAD received

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello, I'm sort of in the same boat as you. We filed our I-129f about 4 weeks ago, so have many months to go before I can move down to the US. We have visited back and forth several times before getting engaged, usually for 5-6 day visits every 2 months or so. Since filing, I went for one short visit, and just got back to Canada 2 days ago. Because we both work full time and each have 3 weeks holiday a year, this is the best we can do. And it's starting to get expensive because I live in Western Canada, and he's in Eastern US, so it's a long flight!

I am planning to work until Christmas, then leave my job and go for a lengthy visit stateside until the I-129f is approved, at which time I will return for the medical and interview. This means that I will be unemployed for a long stretch of time, but luckily my fiance makes a decent wage, plus I will be selling my condo and will have the proceeds from that. Still, I do worry about being out of work for such a long stretch of time. At least the Vancouver consulate is faster than Montreal at scheduling interviews, I'm optimistically hoping to have my interview in March or April. We'll see how it goes! If I get too broke, I figure I can always come back to Canada, stay at my parents and do a little temp work or something...

We Canadians are lucky that visiting the US is easy, even during the K1 process. Still, even with our open border and friendly relationship with the US, our immigration visas take just as long as everyone elses. But, that's only fair, we are a completely separate country, as we constantly like to remind people!

October 5, 2007 - K-1 Application mailed to CSC

October 11, 2007 - NOA1

February 27, 2008 - NOA2

April 29, 2008 - Interview - approved!!

May 6, 2008 - Arrived in the US

May 23, 2008 - Married!

May 29, 2008 - AOS mailed

June 4, 2008 - NOA1!

June 25, 2008 - Biometrics

August 11, 2008 - AP Approved

August 14, 2008 - EAD Approved

October 28, 2008 - Interview - Approved!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Well, we met in Washington D.C. while she was on a study tour last year. I have been to Brazil twice, she came here to the US to visit, once. We also took a vacation in Europe this year. Thinking that the K-1 process would be fast, I applied in July, but now wish I had applied earlier. I don't think my petition would be reviewed unitl December, if the dates posted reflect, actuals. She is reluctant to quit her job unitl notification of interview. I do enjoy my trip to Brazil, but I am burning up lots of leave.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Once a month? WOW i wish so bad i could see my man that much i would loose my mind. I have not seen my fiance in almost 2 years and he can't come hear its almost impossible, and i can't afford to see him right now. This process is definelty lenghthy but you are truly blessed if you get to see your love that often. I wish you both all the best on your journey and i pray that your wait is not long.

AJ1 (F)

7/17/2005----I met the love of my life.

1/18/2006----Arrived in Egypt to visit my love.

5/11/2006----Sent I129F.

6/15/2006----Recieved NOA1.

6/22/2006----Recieved RFE (IMBRA).

7/12/2006----Replied to RFE (IMBRA) Sent back.

7/17/2006----Our 1 year Anniversary!!!!

7/19/2006----VSC recieved RFE (IMBRA).

7/20/2006----touched

8/18/2006----touched

8/18/2006----NOA2!!!!!! THANK YOU GOD!!!!

8/18/2006----VSC sent our petition to NVC.

8/19/2006----touched

8/22/2006----NVC recieved our petition.

8/23/2006----NVC sent our petition to Cairo Embassy.

8/25/2006----Recieved NOA2 Approval letter in the mail.

8/28/2006----Recieved NVC letter with new case number.

8/31/2006----Cairo Embassy recieved our petition.

9/24/2006----I emailed the Embassy reguarding my fiance's packet 3.

10/17/2006--Cairo sent packet 3 for the second time to my fiance. First one was never recieved.

10/19/2006--Packet 3 recieved.

12/20/2006--Packet 3 sent.

12/21/2006--Cairo Embassy recieved packet 3.

2/21/2007---Packet 4 recieved.

3/12/2007---Interview (He Passed)!

3/12/2007---Administrative Processing begins.............God please help me get through this!

7/17/2007---Our 2 Year Anniversay!!!

10/23/2007--7 months and 2 weeks of A/P and still waiting..........God help me!

4/22/2008---2nd Interview ( keep us in your prayers)

4/22/2008--He was approved for the Visa 2-3 weeks until he recieves it in the mail lets hope so!!

6/03/2008--VISA IN HAND! Thank you god!

7/03/2008--Our Wedding Day!

"NEVER GIVE UP"

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

My husband and I took turns to see each other at least every 2 weeks during the weekends. There is no direct flight from California to Brazil, so we flew 15 - 18 hours each way just to spend 2 or 3 days together and then go back home. From Sep 2006 to Jun 2007 he went down to Brazil 10 times and so did I to the US. Last year I came for the holidays and spent almost 2 months with him. That was great! Long visits are definitely the best deal. I wish we could have done that more but it just didn't work because both of us had to work! At least to pay for the tickets!

We were very lucky for being able to do all these trips during our K1 process.

Everybody here knows how hard it is to be in a long distance relationship. Some couples are able to visit each other, some are not. But the most important thing is that in the end we all are gonna be with the ones we love.

Edited by Mi & Mo

Nick and I have been very lucky. This past year we've had 8 visits. for about 5 months we saw each other once a month. The longest we have gone in between is 3 months. The longest visit we had was about 3 weeks when I went down in August/September.

We are 8 hours apart and only an hour by plane but still, he works full time. Up until now I had a part time job that allowed me to take off pretty much whenever I wanted. I had 3 weeks of vacation (which I used to see him) and then I would take 4 to 5 day weekends quite a bit to fly down. Nick would do the same...ask for a Friday or Monday off and come for 4 days or so.

I just started a new job and so I won't really have any more holidays until November 2008, but I don't even plan on being in Canada then ;)

Also, we are filing in a month so he's probably just going to come up here from now on.

He is coming up for Christmas for 2 weeks, the longest he has stayed in Canada yet.

We don't mind that it takes 6 - 9 months for this process...I mean, it sucks but at the same time, both of us really want to save more money, he wants to get a house and we don't want to get married till next September or so anyhow. We love each other completely and we both believe that nothing good comes easily and we always think of how rewarding it will be when we are finally together.

So special!

Things will happen when they happen. Seeing him is amazing and I cherish every time.

Edited by ~Laura and Nick~

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

Filed: Other Timeline

Well, the first time Wes came to see me for three weeks, he had enough paid holiday time (UK'ers get way more holiday/vacation time than USC's so you will typically see UK'ers with more visits than other couples - plus the VWP advantage).

The second time he came over (8 weeks) he took an unpaid sabbatical from his job. His rent was cheap and he wasn't burning any utilities while he was gone, but he had to play rent catch-up when he got back.

We got married shortly after that. We would both tell you one reason we pushed the marriage was to save travel cost. We really couldn't afford to keep doing that, and we couldn't stand to be apart. So, you aren't the only one who takes a risk and marries without spending lots of time physically together.

Timeline
Hello, I'm sort of in the same boat as you. We filed our I-129f about 4 weeks ago, so have many months to go before I can move down to the US. We have visited back and forth several times before getting engaged, usually for 5-6 day visits every 2 months or so. Since filing, I went for one short visit, and just got back to Canada 2 days ago. Because we both work full time and each have 3 weeks holiday a year, this is the best we can do. And it's starting to get expensive because I live in Western Canada, and he's in Eastern US, so it's a long flight!

I am planning to work until Christmas, then leave my job and go for a lengthy visit stateside until the I-129f is approved, at which time I will return for the medical and interview. This means that I will be unemployed for a long stretch of time, but luckily my fiance makes a decent wage, plus I will be selling my condo and will have the proceeds from that. Still, I do worry about being out of work for such a long stretch of time. At least the Vancouver consulate is faster than Montreal at scheduling interviews, I'm optimistically hoping to have my interview in March or April. We'll see how it goes! If I get too broke, I figure I can always come back to Canada, stay at my parents and do a little temp work or something...

We Canadians are lucky that visiting the US is easy, even during the K1 process. Still, even with our open border and friendly relationship with the US, our immigration visas take just as long as everyone elses. But, that's only fair, we are a completely separate country, as we constantly like to remind people!

Hi Merdien! My boyfriend is in Alberta and I know that is considered western Canada. So that means his processing is through Vancouver too? That's good news! Although I'm in CA and he's in Alberta the flights are not so long but so darn expensive. I can fly to the UK fo cheaper than I can into Edmonton. Geesh! LOL He is trying to work out something with work and his sister near Calgary (to rent from her if his home sells early) and his house to have an extended stay here in late winter/early spring. He's in the same boat as you with the house to sell and then using proceeds while waiting and spending more time here. I was LOL at your comment about being a whole different country, my boyfriend and I alway make jokes about "you Canadians" and "you Americans" and I get a kick out of saying I have an international boyfriend. LOL But we are not so different at all!

Amy & Ryan

09/05/09 EAD received

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Count us in the crew who could not afford frequent or lengthy visits - we would go 6 months between visits and the visits were about a week long.

IMing and daily phone calls helped a lot.

I feel for you, I remember very well how hard it was to be apart. It makes us grateful for every day we spend together.

britishmensig-4_zps4475e6b2.jpg

I guess it's just different with everyone's financial and employment situation!!

In my case, my fiancée visited me for a couple months this summer. She was unemployed and still lived with her parents, so was able to leave without worry. Financially, I paid for most of her plane ticket, but with the money I saved from two months of having home-cooked food instead of SubWay or Chipotlé, I probably broke even! :lol:

Also, my employer is AWESOME, and taking lots of vacation and flexible hours during the time she was here helped make it all very worthwhile.

Anyway, I've added my two cents... Best of luck to you and your awaiting future together!!

--Jesse G.

Love timeline:

??? 2003 -------> Started chatting regularly, became good friends

Nov 2004 -------> Fell in love

Jan 2006 -------> Met (in person) for first time

Apr 2008 -------> Wedding

Jun 2008 -------> Closed on house together

K-1 timeline:

Jun 11, 2007 -------> I-129f sent

Mar 20, 2008 -------> Visa in hand

AoS/EAD/AP timeline:

Apr 26, 2008 -------> Wedding

Apr 28, 2008 -------> Filed (forms mailed)

Apr 30, 2008 -------> Forms received by USCIS

May 06, 2008 -------> Cashed check posted to account

May 10, 2008 -------> NOA1 received for EAD, AP, and AoS

May 10, 2008 -------> Biometrics appt date received

May 28, 2008 -------> Biometrics for EAD & AoS

Jun 11, 2008 -------> AoS case transferred to CSC

Jul 05, 2008 -------> AP Approval

Jul 09, 2008 -------> EAD approval

Jul 14, 2008 -------> EAD and AP received

Jul 17, 2008 -------> AoS approved (card production ordered)

Now for my obnoxious signature Meez©:

0605_10033471973.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.