wuwei

Waiting Out the I-130 Process in US

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks to all of you regular posters – I have found some very interesting information and advice. This is my first post.

I am wondering what the pitfalls are for attempting to wait out as much of the I-130 processing time as possible in the US with my SO.

We are not yet married, but I was wondering if it would be okay for me to go down (from Canada) on a tourist visa, get married and then file only the I-130, not the AOS. I was thinking about a scenario like this:

1. I go down on a tourist visa, which gives me 180 days – understanding the initial risk of being turned down at the border.

2. Get married right away.

3. File the I-130 petition right after the wedding.

4. Wait it out in the US with my SO. (I am currently living with a roommate and could have her courier any information or packages sent to my home address in Canada.)

5. When it came time to either return home due to expiring tourist visa or attend the medical and the interview, I could go home at that point (with the understanding that I can’t come back without the K-3).

Has anyone else done this? Any INS rules that I would be violating? Provided, of course, I don't work or anything like that. It seems like I could spend the ~150 days from filing to B-visa expiry or interview better with my SO, rather than alone.

I appreciate your comments.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't see a problem with the scenario since you have every intention of going back and would not overstay your 180 days. It looks like you've thought it out thoroughly even down to potentially being turned back at the border on your visit.

Edited by misa

K3 Timeline - 2006-11-20 to 2007-03-19

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

2007-04-16: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago (My AOS/EAD checklist)

2007-04-17: Received at Chicago

2007-04-23: NOA1 date (both)

2007-05-10: Biometrics appointment (both - Biometrics review)

2007-06-05: AOS interview letter date

2007-06-13: AOS interview letter received in mail

2007-07-03: EAD card production ordered

2007-07-07: EAD card received! (yay!)

2007-08-23: AOS interview (Documents / Interview review)

2007-08-23: Green card production ordered!!!

2007-08-24: Welcome notice mailed!

2007-08-27: Green card production ordered again... ?

2007-08-28: Welcome notice received!

2007-09-01: Green card received!

Done with USCIS until May 23, 2009!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You could in fact do this, but if you are there, you may as well file the AOS if you can. There is a potential to get an approval within the time you are there. You could also file for AP and be able to travel back home while adjusting... that's an option B if you like taking risks. :)

Current Status
July, 2011 - US Citizen

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Thanks to all of you regular posters – I have found some very interesting information and advice. This is my first post.

I am wondering what the pitfalls are for attempting to wait out as much of the I-130 processing time as possible in the US with my SO.

We are not yet married, but I was wondering if it would be okay for me to go down (from Canada) on a tourist visa, get married and then file only the I-130, not the AOS. I was thinking about a scenario like this:

1. I go down on a tourist visa, which gives me 180 days – understanding the initial risk of being turned down at the border.

4. Wait it out in the US with my SO. (I am currently living with a roommate and could have her courier any information or packages sent to my home address in Canada.)

5. When it came time to either return home due to expiring tourist visa or attend the medical and the interview, I could go home at that point (with the understanding that I can’t come back without the K-3).

Has anyone else done this? Any INS rules that I would be violating? Provided, of course, I don't work or anything like that. It seems like I could spend the ~150 days from filing to B-visa expiry or interview better with my SO, rather than alone.

Going down to the states with the intent to marry and stay in the US on a visitor visa is visa fraud. You can come down here to get married, but you can't stay. I don't see the problem with you using up your allotted 180 days, but just remember that you won't be able to come back down here until you have your visa then! And you may want to check to see how long it'll take for a K-3 to come through, is it really as short as 6 months? It's taking a CR1 visa 12-14 months from start to finish.

CR1 application

I-130: 03/26/2007-07/02/2007 at NSC

NVC: 07/20/2007-11/08/2007

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 01/18/2008

(2 months' additional security checks)

Received Green Card: 05/12/2008

Removal of Conditions

I-751: 2/25/10-

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
Ditto what everyone said - just don't overstay that visa or you'll be in deep shite.

Also, my humble opinion (OK not humble he he) is don't apply for a K-3. Considering the timelines, go for the CR-1!!!

Welcome to insanity.... I mean, VJ!!!!! :thumbs:

Yes, I truly understand the overstaying bit. I've been down on a TN in the past - and I was very careful not to overstay. I appreciate everyone's comments and the advice on skipping the K-3 and going to the CR-1. I'll need to do some more research there.

If I were to attempt the scenario above, what would you recommend I do prior to leaving Canada - in terms of paperwork prep? For example, should I make sure that I have the police check sorted? I get the impression that I have to go into the police station, be fingerprinted, and pay money to have them send me my record? It seems that I should do this before I go to the US for 6 months, given the obvious difficulty of trying to mail my fingerprints.

Anything else that I would need for the interview in MTL that is more easily procured in person before I leave?

Filed: Timeline
If I were to attempt the scenario above, what would you recommend I do prior to leaving Canada - in terms of paperwork prep? For example, should I make sure that I have the police check sorted? I get the impression that I have to go into the police station, be fingerprinted, and pay money to have them send me my record? It seems that I should do this before I go to the US for 6 months, given the obvious difficulty of trying to mail my fingerprints.

Anything else that I would need for the interview in MTL that is more easily procured in person before I leave?

First, take things easy. MTL is REALLY slow, and you don't want your documents to expire before it's interview time.

Police records: if you DO NOT have a criminal history, you don't need fingerprints -- just go to the nearest police/RCMP detachment and ask for a name check Canada-wide. This is good for 1 year.

Medical: you can't have this done until MTL assigns you a case number and sends you packet 4 -- this HAS to be done in Canada with a specific doctor depending where you live.

I strongly recommend that you :guides: as they are super helpful and I don't want to misguide you!!!

Peace, L.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Canadians generally do not apply for and receive B2 visa's since they are not required to them enter the US.

I am not sure of what circumstances they would require in order to issue a B2 visa to a Canadian. Have you contacted the local consulate on this?

04-21-2006 | Marriage in Santa Ana, CA
I-130 Process
06-29-2006 | Mailed to CSC
08-23-2006 | Was told application was rejected & sent back
08-30-2006 | Recieved rejected package
09-01-2006 | Resubmitted I-130
09-08-2006 | NOA1 (now that's more like it)
09-13-2006 | Recieved NOA1 in the mail
12-19-2006 | Recieved email RFE
12-20-2006 | Recieved RFE in mail
12-22-2006 | Sent out RFE info
01-09-2007 | NOA2 Email received!
I-130 at NVC
01-24-2007 | Case Number Assigned
02-06-2007 | Emailed DS-3032 COA
02-09-2007 | NVC confirms COA in email
02-20-2007 | DS3032 & AOS Fee Bill Mailed
02-26-2007 | Received DS3032 and AOS Fee Bill
02-28-2007 | Mailed AOS Fee Bill and check
03-13-2007 | I-864 received
03-21-2007 | I-864 sent
05-16-2007 | IV Bill resent from NVC (never got the first)
06-02-2007 | IV Bill received
06-05-2007 | IV Bill payment sent
06-26-2007 | Received DS230
06-29-2007 | Mailed DS230 to NVC
08-15-2007 | NVC process complete but was sent back to US CIS (#@$%#$% this sucks)
11-08-2007 | I-130 returned to NVC
11-08-2007 | Requested expedited interview due to daughters illness
11-21-2007 | NVC approved expedited interview. Mailed to Montreal Embassy Nov 20th
12-11-2007 | Told by contact at US Consulate in Toronto that our interview date will be on Jan 4th.
01-04-2008 | Interview In Montreal. VISA GRANTED
01-11-2008 | Arrival in the US
11-09-2009 | Biometrics taken for 10 year green card
01-20-2010 | Approved- 10 GC ordered for production

06-22-2013 | N-400 package sent

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Chile
Timeline

Canadians generally do not apply for and receive B2 visa's since they are not required to them enter the US.

I am not sure of what circumstances they would require in order to issue a B2 visa to a Canadian. Have you contacted the local consulate on this?

My husband has a B1/B2. He is a Canadian PR but holds a Chilean passport. He had no trouble getting the visa and the visa actually expires 1 year after his passport. Makes no sense...

My blog

10/01/2005: Married in Toronto

02/15/2006: Began Canadian Immigration

09/19/2007: Withdrew CIC application (they still hadn't processed anything)

10/01/2007: Moved back to U.S.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IR-1 application through Montreal Consulate

10/26/2007: I-130 mailed to CA Service Center

10/29/2007: USPS confirmation of receipt of I-130

02/13/2008: NOA-1 received (107 days)

07/02/2008: I-130 approved

07/22/2008: AOS filed including EAD and AP

07/25/2008: NOA-1s for all 3 received

08/20/2008: Biometrics appointment

08/22/2008: Received RFE for Affadivit of Support and Medical

10/21/2008: Submitted I-865W in lieu of co-sponsor and medical info to NSC

11/14/2008: online case status not updated since filing of AOS in July 2008

01/20/2009: Received another RFE for Affadavit of Support Info

02/02/2009: Responded to RFE with brand new AOS based on 2008 tax return (if that doesn't shut them up, dunno what will)

02/19/2009: EAD card received in mail (no updates on Online Case Status ever made)

02/23/2009: AP received (again, no online updates)

02/26/2009: Received interview appointment letter for 4/6/09

04/06/2009: AOS approved for unconditional GC

04/21/2009: GC received

Filed: Other Timeline

Canadian citizens however Do Not need a visa to visit the US, we just cross the border and there we are. Provided of course the CBP officer lets you in.

To the OP: Most likely what is going to happen for you is that you get to the US (provided they let you in) and you stay for your 6 month visit and then you'll have to return to Canada for 6 or more months. Can you afford to be out of work that long? K3s and CR1s are currently taking about a year to process. Can your room-mate afford to not have a room-mate helping out with the rent and bills for that long? What will you tell the border guard your reason for staying for a 6 month holiday, and how do you plan to prove to support yourself during that stay, and how do you plan to prove that you will in fact return to Canada at the close of 6 months if you have no job to return to?

These are questions that they will ask you. And more.

When my husband and I were going thru all this, I stayed in the US for 5 months (already had used up 1 month prior to that on various visits that were recorded) and processing was at a slow-down. I ended up returning to Canada to wait it out for another 7 months. I couldn't afford to make a trip down again before I was able to move, because I had no job and had to save money up for the medical exam and trip to Montreal.

As someone else already mentioned, you can't have the medical done until you have your interview letter from the consulate, and the police check does expire, so you don't want to do that any earlier than say after you have the petition approval notice. And unless you have a criminal record, you do not need the fingerprint check, just Canada wide name and birthdate check. Depending where you live in Canada will depend on the cost of both the medical and the police check.

There are pros and cons to what you're planning. Consider them all before you pack up and leave. And don't pack up your whole life and try to take it with you, they definitely won't let you in if you do!

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.