cbd2cai

Middle Eastern Cooking . . .

78 posts in this topic

ohhhhh angel.....something easy that is pretty renowned in jordan is fasoolia....one of my favorites......i use beef tips....cut them into a decent size...i boil them first to get them soft, then throw them in a pan with some fresh garlic little olive oil and spice to preferance....add some water, let it boil, then add my white fasoolia beans (which should be presoaked in hot water to allow them to get soft) some potatoes, carrots, peas, (anything u prefer) let it boil and allow the veggies to get soft, then add about half a can of tomato paste...boil for a while....serve over rice....its REALLY sooo easy, i dont have mesaurments and my recipe is hard to follow and a$$ backwards probably, but if u have ever seen it cooked, u can get it right the first time...just use your judgement...

something else.....chicken seenea (sp?)

(i always boil my meat first) so in that case

boil some chicken (breasts, legs, whatever is preferred)

when its finished, place it in a tray , (little olive oil in the bottom of the tray) spice your chicken to preference, add some potatoes, tomatoes, and onion around the chicken, and let er bake.....its the easiest thing in the world....

macarona (arabian spaghetti)\

brown some ground beef\

boil spaghetti noodles with some cut round potatoes if preffered

boil 2 cups of water, i use salt, pepper, italian spice, and garlic..add it to the water...after its boiling, add a can or can and a half of tomato paste, depending on taste....let it boil...then...

place the noodles in a tray, place the potatoes on top of the noodles, then comes the beef, then pour the sauce all over it....it should be relatively alot of sauce, almost to the top of the noodles...bake it to preferance, sofyan likes the noodles crispy brown on top, but with some of the sauce still left in...sometimes we cook it with chicken, sometiems ground beef....all a matter or what ya like...

ive learned arabian food is about the easiest thing in the world. once u have seen someone do it....ive mastered most of it.....i still have to learn maqlouba....(coming tonight) liz's recipe is good, but we like ours with eggplant, cauliflower, and potatoes....

hope any of this nonsense and my horrible directions help in some way

Filed DCF in Jordan from 7-05 to 3-06, Approved for I-R1.

Immigration Free until 2008.

Two Hearts, Two Different Places, Sharing One Dream

We were strangers~ Starting out on a journey~Never dreaming What we'd have to go through ~Now here we are ~ And I'm suddenly standing ~ At the beginning with you ~ No one told me I was going to find you ~ Unexpected ~ What you did to my heart ~ When I lost hope You were there to remind me ~ This is the start ~ Life is a road And I want to keep going ~ Love is a river I wanna keep flowing ~ Life is a road Now and forever ~ Wonderful journey ~ I'll be there When the world stops turning~ I'll be there When the storm is through ~ In the end I wanna be standing At the beginning with you~

.png

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Palestine
Timeline
i still have to learn maqlouba....(coming tonight) liz's recipe is good, but we like ours with eggplant, cauliflower, and potatoes....

:unsure:

That was me, MK :P And I did suggest cauliflower and eggplant. :yes: But throwing in a couple of cubed potatoes is always good, too. That's the wonderful thing about maqlouba.... it's infinitely flexible. We're having it tonight ! :thumbs:

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

Too bad what happened to a once thriving VJ but hardly a surprise

al Nakba 1948-2015
66 years of forced exile and dispossession

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

This is a really really simple recipe that is really popular in Jordan, but I bet its popular anywhere bcz its so darn good. :D Serive it with warm pita bread.

Galayet Bandora

1 small yellow onion (diced small)

2 pounds of tomato chopped large (make sure they are red and juicy)

1 pound of lean lamb (or beef if you prefer) finely diced.

In a big sautee pan on medium heat, add a couple of tablespoons of olive oil, and light sautee the onions until translucent. Add the meat, and brown it. Add tomato and lower the heat to med. low. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cook until the tomtoes have extracted all the juice out and you have a nice stew. It should not be too watered down but should still be juicy.

For some variatons, omit the black pepper and add your spice mixture (bharat). You can also add garlic if you like it. There is no way to mess this recipe up.

This dish is usually served with any or all of the following:

Pickled anything, olives, fried potatoes, fried slices of eggplant, sumag, baba ghanouj, fried cauiliflower.

~jordanian_princess~

October 19, 2006 - Interview! No Visa yet....on A/Psigns038.gif

ticker.png

Jordanian Cat

jordaniancat.jpg

sorry MK...as u see i was posting horribly fast....i was skimming posts and must of missed a few details...and yes...maqlouba for dinner tonight here too!

Filed DCF in Jordan from 7-05 to 3-06, Approved for I-R1.

Immigration Free until 2008.

Two Hearts, Two Different Places, Sharing One Dream

We were strangers~ Starting out on a journey~Never dreaming What we'd have to go through ~Now here we are ~ And I'm suddenly standing ~ At the beginning with you ~ No one told me I was going to find you ~ Unexpected ~ What you did to my heart ~ When I lost hope You were there to remind me ~ This is the start ~ Life is a road And I want to keep going ~ Love is a river I wanna keep flowing ~ Life is a road Now and forever ~ Wonderful journey ~ I'll be there When the world stops turning~ I'll be there When the storm is through ~ In the end I wanna be standing At the beginning with you~

.png

Filed: Country: Palestine
Timeline
sorry MK...as u see i was posting horribly fast....i was skimming posts and must of missed a few details...and yes...maqlouba for dinner tonight here too!

LOL no problem it happens to me all the time.

Hope your dinner turned out great ! I made enough for leftovers... this time we used cauliflower, potato and tomato, and we tossed in the first zucchini out of the garden, as well.

Keep those recipes coming !

(F)

-MK

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

Too bad what happened to a once thriving VJ but hardly a surprise

al Nakba 1948-2015
66 years of forced exile and dispossession

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

Filed: Timeline

I found a "healthy" website from the American Cancer Org that had this yummy sounding (can't swear to it) recipe for seafood lovers (hahaha, look at how little olive oil they use):

GREEK STYLE SCALLOPS:

Olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, feta and pine nuts are staples of classic Mediterraneancuisine that have now found their way into meals across the globe. Here, these pungent ingredientscomplement the slightly sweet meat of sea scallops. If desired, trim the large muscle from the sides of thescallops before cooking.

MAKES 4 SERVINGS | PER SERVING: 196 CALORIES, 10 G. TOTALFAT (2 G. SATURATED FAT), 13 G. CARBOHYDRATES, 14 G. PROTEIN, 2 G. DIETARY FIBER, 475MG. SODIUM.

4 teaspoons olive oil, divided

1 pound sea scallops

1 cup chopped onion

1 cup sliced mushrooms (3 ounces)

2 large garlic cloves, minced

2 large tomatoes, seeded and chopped

2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice

1/4cup chopped flat leaf parsley, loosely packed

1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano or 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano

Salt and freshly ground black pepper

1/3 cup crumbled reduced fat feta cheese

2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted*

*Note: To toast the pine nuts, put them in a small skillet over medium heat, shaking or stirring frequentlyuntil lightly browned, about 2 to 3 minutes. Immediately transfer the nuts to a small dish and cool.

In a large nonstick skillet, heat 2 teaspoons of the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the scallops andcook, stirring often, for 5 to 6 minutes, until opaque throughout and tender in the center. Transfer thescallops and liquid from the skillet to a bowl; set aside. Cool the skillet slightly and then rinse under hotwater and dry.

In the same skillet, heat the remaining 2 teaspoons of olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion andsauté, stirring often, for 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms and sauté, stirring often, for 3 to 5 minutes, until theonion is soft. Add the garlic and sauté, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, lemon juice, parsley,oregano, and salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 5minutes. Stir in the scallops with their liquid and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Top with the fetacheese and pine nuts. Serve immediately.

Timeline

MMMMMMMM Yum, I love Sea Scallops. Bay Scallops are gross, make sure you don't mix them up!

~jordanian_princess~

ticker.png

Jordanian Cat

jordaniancat.jpg

MMMMMMMM Yum, I love Sea Scallops. Bay Scallops are gross, make sure you don't mix them up!

And what about your yummy sounding recipe for Greek Chicken and Potatoes???? I printed it off to try later . . . maybe when I have more than one person to feed in the house, LOL!!!

OK, I am taking the liberty to paste it here from the "VJ Recipes" thread over in "OFF TOPIC":

Greek Chicken and Potatoes!!!! THis recipe is faboulous! Everytime I make it, people lick their plates clean.

1 5-6lb whole cut up chicken (Skin ON!!!)

6 Potatoes (brown russet)

4 Lemons juiced (real lemons!)

1 Lemon cut into slices

Fresh Oregano

Dried Oregano

Salt

Pepper

1/4 cup Olive Oil

2 TBSP Butter

**Preheat oven to 375 degrees (bake)

1. Wash chicken under water with salt. Make sure you wash all the salt off!

2. In a medium size bowl, combine lemon juice, 2 TBSP dried oregano, 1TBSP salt, 1/2 tsp of black pepper and mix it together.

3. Dip each piece of chicken in the lemon mixture and coat well, one finished place the chicken in a baking dish (make sure its a big one, you don't want to crowd the chicken and potatoes or they won't brown) Repeat with all the chicken pieces.

4. Peel the potatoes and cut in quarters and arrange them around the chicken.

5. Pour the remaining lemon juice over the potatoes.

6. Pour the olive oil all over the chicken and potatoes.

7. Break the butter up into really small pieces and put a small piece on each piece of chicken.

8. Sprinkle entire dish with Salt, Peper, and Dried Oregano once more.

9. Cover with foil and bake at 375 for 45 minutes.

10. After cooking for 45 min, add 1/2 cup hot water bake for another 15 min. (Keep it covered with foil and done pour the water on the chicken or potatoes, just into the dish.

10. Remove foil and bake until golden brown and crispy. (about 30 min)

Remove chicken and potatoes from baking dish and arrange onto a platter. Garnish wih fresh oregano and lemon slices.

Take the baking juice from the pan and strain it into a bowl or gravy boat, serve on the side of the chicken. Its good for dipping

Bon appetit

Edited by cbarrosmostafa

Timeline

And what about your yummy sounding recipe for Greek Chicken and Potatoes???? I printed it off to try later . . . maybe when I have more than one person to feed in the house, LOL!!!

:blush: awww you are sooo sweet, thanks!

~jordanian_princess~

ticker.png

Jordanian Cat

jordaniancat.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Oooo, the scallops look delicious! I have some in the freezer, and I may just try that recipe out this weekend.

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Filed: Country: Jordan
Timeline

I am attempting Kufta/Kofta now with tomatoes and potates baked in the oven got a recipe off the net for it. Of course anmar was standing over my back watching every move and trying to tell me how to make it and i said i wanted to make it by the recipe hehehe If it tastes ok I'll post the recipe

I am attempting Kufta/Kofta now with tomatoes and potates baked in the oven got a recipe off the net for it. Of course anmar was standing over my back watching every move and trying to tell me how to make it and i said i wanted to make it by the recipe hehehe If it tastes ok I'll post the recipe

Good Luck!! Definitely, let us know how it turned out.

I made moussaka on Sunday from a new recipe and it tastes just so, so . . . and my bechamel sauce sort of flattened out and almost disappeared, LOL!

Oh, well . . . I think I had a better white sauce from my Greek Cookbook, so I'll have to haul that one out next time I want to make moussaka!

Catherine

Filed: Country: Jordan
Timeline

here's the recipe, so simple and easy!!

Middle Eastern Kufta...Quick and Easy.

This recipe is quick and easy. Its one of my favorite dishes. Serve with a side of rice and a great salad.

1 1/2-2 lbs ground beef or ground lamb or ground turkey

1 large onion

1/2-3/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley

4 cloves garlic

seasoning salt or salt

allspice

black pepper

garlic powder

topping

3-4 tomatoes (any size)

3-4 potatoes

What you can do is start by chopping up your parsely in a food chopper until fine.

Do not use dried parsley.

Then put the parsely in a large mixing bowl.

Then cut onion up into pieces-- doesnt matter how small just so you can fit it into the chopper and combine the garlic and chop away until fine-- not pasty though.

Put the onion garlic mixture in the bowl with the parsley and add ground meat and spices.

Mix with hands until everything is well blended.

Pat the meat mixture down in the bottom of a 9x13 baking pan and broil in oven until top is browned, this will enhance the flavor, then take out of the oven.

Peel potatoes.

Slice tomatoes and potatoes into quarter of an inch in size and layer-- potatoes first and then tomatoes will be top layer.

sprinkle with a little salt-- and bake in oven about 425 degress covered with foil for approximately 45 minutes to and hour-- enjoy.

6-8 servings Change size or US/metric

1 hour 15 mins prep

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.