cbd2cai

Middle Eastern Cooking . . .

78 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Oh, do you use harissa?? I have some here because I was trying some Turkish recipes and I just noticed that the cookbook I have mentions harissa for Moroccan food.

What exactly is harissa and where do you get it? I looked at the bottle I was talking about and it is Garam Masala or something like that - for Indian cooking. Now you have me wanting to go out and buy some harissa.

I bought it in a local ME grocery store. The can that I have says "Product of France", LOL, and has a palm tree and red peppers on the label with arabic writing. It actually calls it "Harissa Hot Sauce" and the brand is DEA. As ingredients it lists Carrots, Beetroot, chillies with oil, salt, coriander, garlic, caraway (and some of those other chemically things).

It has been awhile since I used Harissa. I think I tried a recipe that used it . . . Shrimp with Harissa. I wonder if I should open the can that I have since it has been here just waiting for an opportunity.

Now that I look at the ingredients, it seems like it could be easy to make fresh which would be so much better. But like all things, it probably just takes time.

Oh, I have some Garam Masala too . . . I have accumulated various exotic blends while experimenting with cooking. I also have some saffron that I think I acquired in Turkey.

I'd love to get fresh spices from Turkey or Egypt since I had such fun wandering through their spice markets . . . but hard to bring back everything you want. I did managed lots of pepper from Turkey when I went there . . . and any pepper grinder that I get, seems to develop of problem . . . so I seem to have an endless supply of peppercorns, LOL.

I like to read the sections of the cookbooks that I have where it talks about the various spices. There is so much more to learn about cooking.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and any pepper grinder that I get, seems to develop of problem . . . so I seem to have an endless supply of peppercorns, LOL.

You too? I just broke my pepper grinder. I love to put a mix of seeds (Cumin mostly) and peppercorns (I have red, green, white and black) and grind it all out together then put it in the dish I'm cooking. Thanks for reminding me to go add that to my grocery list.

and any pepper grinder that I get, seems to develop of problem . . . so I seem to have an endless supply of peppercorns, LOL.

You too? I just broke my pepper grinder. I love to put a mix of seeds (Cumin mostly) and peppercorns (I have red, green, white and black) and grind it all out together then put it in the dish I'm cooking. Thanks for reminding me to go add that to my grocery list.

Oh, now that sounds like an idea . . . . cumin and pepper . .. and Egyptians add lots of cumin (Ahmed brought some fresh cumin to the flat . . . mannnnnnn, I wish I had packed it up to bring back, LOL). Soooooo, I am going to make a run to buy a pepper grinder too, LOL!!!

Out of the garden . . . going to look for some more pepper plants . . . and then maybe I'll find that grinder!

BTW, if you can't find harissa let me know . . . I can send you some.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

D'oh, I was going to go to Penzey's to get some aniseed, which apparently would be good for my perpetual cold, but alas, everything is closed for easter. My spice shopping spree will have to wait, I guess.

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

D'oh, I was going to go to Penzey's to get some aniseed, which apparently would be good for my perpetual cold, but alas, everything is closed for easter. My spice shopping spree will have to wait, I guess.

Rahma, Be careful using aniseed if you happen to have any heart problems. One book I would highly recommend to anyone experimenting with herbs is Rodale's Encyclopedia of Herbs. This awesome book addresses each herb and gives it's history, all the old-wives tales associated with it, and a real analysis of it's medicinal capabilities. It has a chart in the middle that lists herbs that we think are helpful that are really dangerous, and anise is one of them. I have a bottle of anise oil for a cookie recipe but after reading this book I've not used it. I do have high triglycerides so I'm cautious about anything that could put my heart at risk. Artificial anise flavoring (licorice flavoring) is not harmful however, so that can be used without risk.

Filed: Country: Jordan
Timeline

does anyone know some simple jordanian/palestinian recipes. My husband's cooking, but I need to start learning how. I know some but not many. i have some syrian and lebanese recipes also that i need to try only thing is finding the time since i work a lot.

angel

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline
does anyone know some simple jordanian/palestinian recipes. My husband's cooking, but I need to start learning how. I know some but not many. i have some syrian and lebanese recipes also that i need to try only thing is finding the time since i work a lot.

angel

Angel, tell me what are his favorite foods and I will post the recipes :D There are so many! I just finished making traditional Easter cookies that are filled with dates and pistachios. Although they are used throughout the middle east, christians arabs usually make them for Easter only.

Do you know how to make Magloobeh? That's a pretty popular jordanian dish. Just ask him what he likes and I'll get you the recipes. :thumbs:

~jordanian_princess~

October 19, 2006 - Interview! No Visa yet....on A/Psigns038.gif

ticker.png

Jordanian Cat

jordaniancat.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
OK, I finally figured out how to get this to work, LOL!! So here it is, Jenn!

Bstilla recipe:

Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you! This will be a special treat for us!

We went to an expensive Moroccan restaurant here near Boston and paid $11 for just two bstilla. hopefully I can make them better so we don't have to go broke for bstilla! :lol:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Rahma, Be careful using aniseed if you happen to have any heart problems. One book I would highly recommend to anyone experimenting with herbs is Rodale's Encyclopedia of Herbs. This awesome book addresses each herb and gives it's history, all the old-wives tales associated with it, and a real analysis of it's medicinal capabilities. It has a chart in the middle that lists herbs that we think are helpful that are really dangerous, and anise is one of them. I have a bottle of anise oil for a cookie recipe but after reading this book I've not used it. I do have high triglycerides so I'm cautious about anything that could put my heart at risk. Artificial anise flavoring (licorice flavoring) is not harmful however, so that can be used without risk.

Ooo, thanks for the warning. I don't think I have heart problems, but that would be the last thing I need right now!

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Bstilla recipe:

We went to an expensive Moroccan restaurant here near Boston and paid $11 for just two bstilla. hopefully I can make them better so we don't have to go broke for bstilla! :lol:

You are so welcome!!

I just hope that the recipe works well for you. At least well enough so you don't have to go back to paying $11 for two!! Although, sometimes the restaurants just make it soooooooooo good.

Good Luck with the cooking!

Catherine

Filed: Country: Palestine
Timeline

angel

Here is how to make....

MAQLOUBA ("UPSIDE-DOWN")

1 onion, chopped

1 pound of chicken (or any meat you like)

Olive oil

1 1/2 cups rice

1/2 teaspoon turmeric

1/2 teaspoon habhal (garam masala type mix)

2 medium eggplants (or 1 cauliflower, or 1 dozen carrots)

4 cups water

1 tablespoon salt

1 large tomato, sliced into wedges

3 cloves garlic, minced

1 cup boiled chickpeas (or canned will do, rinsed)

Additional spices to taste (pepper, herbs, whatever you like)

Cut chicken into pieces, wash and rub with spice mix. Fry onion in a small amount of olive oil, then add the chicken and let it brown for 5 minutes. Add water and let boil until tender (well cooked).

While the chicken is cooking, cut up the vegetables. (If you are using eggplant, put some salt on them and leave in water for a while so that it won't absorb oil after frying.)

Lightly fry the vegetables in an inch or two of oil, then drain on paper. Then fry the tomato and then the garlic. Place the chicken in a deep pot, then add the tomato, garlic and vegetables so that they surround the meat.

Mix rice with some spice, salt and chickpeas; then add to the pot. Add water to cover rice (it should be about 1/2 inch above rice level). Bring to a boil, then lower the heat, cover, and simmer until the rice is well-cooked and fluffy (maybe 15 or 20 minutes.)

KOUSA MA7SHI (STUFFED SQUASH)

You can do this recipe with either a simple tomato sauce or laban. If you are using tomato sauce, make that first. If laban, make the kousa first.

Tomato sauce

7 medium tomatoes, chopped

1 medium onion, chopped

2 cups water

1 tsp salt

Black pepper to taste

Herbs to taste

Combine the tomatoes, onions, water, salt and a few grindings of pepper in a heavy casserole large enough to hold the squash in 1 or 2 layers. Stirring frequently, bring to a boil over high heat, reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Set aside.

Squash

6 medium calabaza or zucchini squash, ends trimmed

3 tsp. salt (separated)

2 tsp. fresh mint, chopped

1 lb. ground meat (lamb is the norm, beef will also work fine. I use turkey, which requires extra spice)

1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg

1/2 tsp. ground allspice

Black pepper to taste

Carefully tunnel out the center of each squash, leaving a thick shell all around. Drop them into a large bowl of water with 2 teaspoons of salt and the mint. Let the squash soak for 5 or 10 minutes.

Combine the ground meat, rice, 1 teaspoon salt, nutmeg, allspice and a few grindings of pepper. Knead vigorously with both hands, then beat with a wooden spoon until the mixture is smooth and fluffy. Spoon the stuffing into the squash, loosely filling (do NOT overpack or the squash may burst when cooking.)

Place the squash in either tomato sauce or cooked laban, laying them flat. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce the heat to low, cover tightly and simmer for 30 minutes, or until the squash show only the slightest resistance when pierced with the point of a small, sharp knife. Do not overcook.

To serve, carefully transfer the squash to a heated platter or individual serving dishes and spoon the sauce over them.

Cooked Laban

Laban in the U.S. is not as thick as in the Middle East, so use this procedure to thicken it:

1 1/2 quarts laban (yogurt drink)

1 eggwhite

1 tbsp. cornstarch

1 tsp. salt

Mix ingredients, always stirring in the same direction. Cook over a high fire until the mixture starts to bubble, then lower the heat. Do not cover as you need to continue stirring as it cooks. Boil gently until it is of a rich, creamy consistency (resembling gravy.)

I have to go to work now, but more to come !

(F)

-MK

Edited by wife_of_mahmoud

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

Too bad what happened to a once thriving VJ but hardly a surprise

al Nakba 1948-2015
66 years of forced exile and dispossession

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

Bstilla recipe:

Ok, I want the Bastilla recipe too! Abdel's sister sent some back with me from Morocco but even though they were frozen when I left, I still threw them away after over 30 hours of travel because I was afraid of food poisoning.

Bstilla recipe:

Ok, I want the Bastilla recipe too! Abdel's sister sent some back with me from Morocco but even though they were frozen when I left, I still threw them away after over 30 hours of travel because I was afraid of food poisoning.

Liz, I scanned in the recipe from my cookbook and attached it in a earlier post. Let me see now . . . I'll just get that for you now.

Edited by cbarrosmostafa

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.