apgk

Leaving russia - is there any document needed?

26 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: India
Timeline

My fiancee seems to be totally confused - someone told her that she has to get some document from somewhere in Russia

that she is leaving Russia and would not be living at the current address (the address whis documented on her passport etc).

Has anyone heard of this before? anyone done anything like this when leaving Russia on K1 visa?

My fiancee seems to be totally confused - someone told her that she has to get some document from somewhere in Russia

that she is leaving Russia and would not be living at the current address (the address whis documented on her passport etc).

Has anyone heard of this before? anyone done anything like this when leaving Russia on K1 visa?

No documents needed to leave Russia with a K1 visa. It used to be a requirement many years ago - you had to obtain so-called exit visa to leave Russia. You had to get it from OVIR office and it was a real hassle. That time is long gone, now she does not need any documents.

Timeline

No documents needed to leave Russia with a K1 visa. It used to be a requirement many years ago - you had to obtain so-called exit visa to leave Russia. You had to get it from OVIR office and it was a real hassle. That time is long gone, now she does not need any documents.

ok great thanks.

It seems the address etc are documented on the internal russian passport (which I believe is not really a passport but a form of ID).

My only other question is that her international passport is going to expire in 2009 and we would need to renew it here in US - would there be any related issues at that time?

ok great thanks.

It seems the address etc are documented on the internal russian passport (which I believe is not really a passport but a form of ID).

My only other question is that her international passport is going to expire in 2009 and we would need to renew it here in US - would there be any related issues at that time?

No problem to renew her international passport in US - just go through Russian Embassy in Washington, DC. You have to send them a renewal form, her old passport, photos, money order and a copy of her green card. Very easy and hassle-free, takes about 2 months. I have done it myself with no problems.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
My fiancée seems to be totally confused - someone told her that she has to get some document from somewhere in Russia that she is leaving Russia and would not be living at the current address (the address is documented on her passport etc).
Your faïence is right for wanting to get this document, it's called a ""адресный листок убытия".

It comes into play if your fiancée desires to be registered at a Russian Consulate in the US. Biggest benefit to the registration is that you can return to Russia and have a universal propiska for 90 days.

For more on the requirement see below:

"Граждане Российской Федерации, выехавшие за границу без штампа в заграничном паспорте "Для проживания за границей" и впоследствии прошедшие в России процедуру снятия с регистрационного учета по месту прописки, при постановке на консульский учет в Генконсульстве должны представить внутренний паспорт гражданина Российской Федерации, в котором стоит штамп "Снят с регистрационного учета" и "адресный листок убытия" с записью о снятии с регистрационного учета за выездом на постоянное место жительства в США, а также копии вышеупомянутых документов (страниц внутреннего паспорта и листка убытия)."

http://www.consulrussia.org/files.htm

However, if you are talking about just leaving Russia, nothing is required except a valid document showing right of entry into next place of destination and a valid Russian International Passport.

As for renewing the Russian passport, of course it can be done at a Russian consulate in the US. However, it is something like 5 times cheaper to do it in Russia. $150 v. 450 roubles. So if there is time I'd renew it in Russia.

Edited by Satellite

Timeline
My fiancée seems to be totally confused - someone told her that she has to get some document from somewhere in Russia that she is leaving Russia and would not be living at the current address (the address is documented on her passport etc).
Your faïence is right for wanting to get this document, it's called a ""адресный листок убытия".

It comes into play if your fiancée desires to be registered at a Russian Consulate in the US. Biggest benefit to the registration is that you can return to Russia and have a universal propiska for 90 days.

For more on the requirement see below:

"Граждане Российской Федерации, выехавшие за границу без штампа в заграничном паспорте "Для проживания за границей" и впоследствии прошедшие в России процедуру снятия с регистрационного учета по месту прописки, при постановке на консульский учет в Генконсульстве должны представить внутренний паспорт гражданина Российской Федерации, в котором стоит штамп "Снят с регистрационного учета" и "адресный листок убытия" с записью о снятии с регистрационного учета за выездом на постоянное место жительства в США, а также копии вышеупомянутых документов (страниц внутреннего паспорта и листка убытия)."

http://www.consulrussia.org/files.htm

However, if you are talking about just leaving Russia, nothing is required except a valid document showing right of entry into next place of destination and a valid Russian International Passport.

As for renewing the Russian passport, of course it can be done at a Russian consulate in the US. However, it is something like 5 times cheaper to do it in Russia. $150 v. 450 roubles. So if there is time I'd renew it in Russia.

thanks.

I apologize for asking but what is 'universal propiska'?

Timeline
I apologize for asking but what is 'universal propiska'?
I made up the term really.

But in Russia each citizen is registered with the police station or some ministry. They have their little stamp / seal in their internal passport indicating which region they are registered in (propiska). If a Russian citizen travels outside that city / region they are required to register at their new location. Not being registered at all or being outside the place of registration will constitute a fine and a possible detention. Same thing for not caring your internal passport around. Keep in mind the 4th amendment of no unreasonable searches and seizures does not exist in Russia. Neither do any of the other US constitutional amendments, such as due process of law, equal protection, speedy trial, right to an attorney, etc. :P

Many Russians live in flats. Many of their taxes and utility bills are tied to the amount of people registered under one address. Therefore, in many cases staying registered in Russia and living in the US will hurt the other family members who are there. Being taken off register and not registering anywhere hurts you when you make subsequent trips to Russia.

For a historical prospective go to:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propiska

Also check out this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_passport

At the bottom it lists all the places Russians can travel visa free!

Edited by Satellite

My fiancee seems to be totally confused - someone told her that she has to get some document from somewhere in Russia that she is leaving Russia and would not be living at the current address (the address whis documented on her passport etc).

This exit stamp and document might be useful when registering with the Russian consulate in the U.S. To vote, for example. But it can be done through the same consulate when already in the States.

Check out this: http://www.russianembassy.org/CONSULAT/registr.htm

Aug 2003 first icebreaker ;-)

2003 - 2006 letters, letters, letters

Aug 2006 met at regatta in Greece

03/20/2007 I-129f mailed to TSC

08/06/2007 NOA-2, 118 days from the 1st notice.

10/24/2007 Interview in Moscow, visa approved

12/06/2007 Entered at JFK, got EAD stamp.

01/25/2008 Married in St. Augustine, FL

02/19/2008 AOS package mailed

09/30/2008 AOS interview - APPROVED!

10/11/2008 Green card in the mail

01/14/2009 Our little girl, Fiona Elizabeth, was born on Jan. 14, 2009 :-)

- someone told her

This "someone" over there sure seems to give a lot of advice to a lot of girls but never seems to thoroughly explain why and never seems to narrow it down to applicable instances. I wish this "someone" would get their story straight or at least be a little more descriptive like the "someones" here on VJ! It's like these girls hear all the urban legends and half-truths about visas issued "once upon a time" but never about anyone who actually went through the process. Is it because the successful sisters never go back and post the after-action reports? Come on ladies.... follow up! Don't leave your sisters behind!!!

The two reasons for changing the address have already been posted. If she's living with someone, she can change it to save them money on utilities or if she's living alone and will not be dealing with her previous address (after she joins you) then she doesn't need to worry about it at all. No exit visa/stamp or anything like that required, so the only real consideration here is if she's registered with someone it will possibly save them some cash. (Or if she would like to register with the embassy here in the U.S.)

The way my wife explained it, her mother was already in some kind of discount program where she paid a cheaper rate regardless of how many people lived there or not and it was based on actual energy consumption, not on number of persons listed as living in the residence. So, like the termination of the exit visa, that may be becoming more modern as well.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline
But it can be done through the same consulate when already in the States.
I disagree based on personal experience. The Russian consulate in San Francisco told us to go to Russia to get the "листок убытия" and that they could not take her off the local register in her own city. She was already off! She just didn't have the paper to prove it! They can only do something if you have the letter or the stamp in either passport.

Filed: IR-5 Country: Russia
Timeline

We've done this in New York (where nothing can be done by mail, only by personally showing up...)

The new згранпаспорт now needs to be registered with MID upon arrival in Russia, or it can't be used to exit the country again! The message they included describing this process is attached to this message: Click Here

Has anyone here actually done this passport registration before (registering a renewed foreign travel passport obtained from the consulate in the U.S. while keeping propieska in Russia)? How long will the registration of the new foreign passport take upon application?

post-34069-1193950087_thumb.jpg

IR-5 Immediate relative parent of adult U.S. citizen, §201(b)

I-130 [100 Days] (+10 days transiting)

03/30/07 Naturalization oath

03/30/07 I-130 sent to VSC priority mail

04/09/07 NOA "Received Date"

05/08/07 NOA1 issued by CSC, rcvd 05/11/07

07/18/07 I-130 approved!

07/23/07 NOA2 received

NVC [73 Days] (+23 days transiting) ** using James' NVC Shortcuts 2.0 **

08/10/07 NVC received, case number MOS*** assigned

08/20/07 DS-3032 & I-864 fee bill generated

08/23/07 DS-3032 delivered to NVC

08/23/07 I-864 payt delivered to St. Louis

08/27/07 IV fee bill generated

08/28/07 I-864 payt processed

09/03/07 I-864 package generated

09/08/07 IV fee bill received & payt sent

09/11/07 IV payt delivered to St. Louis

09/13/07 I-864 entered onto case

09/17/07 IV payt processed

09/24/07 DS-230 generated

09/25/07 I-864 RFE issued

10/01/07 I-864 RFE & DS-230 delivered to NVC

10/04/07 I-864 RFE & DS-230 entered onto case

10/22/07 Case complete at NVC!

12/10/07 NVC schedules the interview, finally!

12/17/07 Case left NVC

Embassy (Moscow)

12/20/07 Medical exam

01/10/08 Interview APPROVED!

01/15/08 Visa rcvd!

01/26/08 Entered USA

02/04/08 SSN card rcvd (from DS-230 appl./EAE)

02/16,21,25/08 OS155A msg. from TSC

02/28/08 PR card rcvd!

Timeline
The message they included describing this process is attached to this message: Click Here

Sorry, forgot to also include the stamps inside the new foreign travel passport which cause this to be necessary...

Click Here for Passport Stamps Image (numbers & dates blanked out)

post-34069-1194022458_thumb.jpg

07/18/07 I-130 approved!

07/23/07 NOA2 received

12/17/07 Case left NVC

Embassy (Moscow)

12/20/07 Medical exam

01/15/08 Visa rcvd!

01/26/08 Entered USA

02/28/08 PR card rcvd!

Timeline
The message they included describing this process is attached to this message: Click Here

Sorry, forgot to also include the stamps inside the new foreign travel passport which cause this to be necessary...

I apologize but I do not understand any of this.

Is it possible for you explain this please?

Timeline

I apologize but I do not understand any of this.

Is it possible for you explain this please?

When you apply for a new foreign passport in the U.S. while still registered with an address in Russia (i.e., still with propieska and an interior passport), the new foreign passport comes with those stamps and that message. When you go back into Russia with it, the message and stamps say you must go to the MID office to register the issuance of the new foreign passport into the interior passport. If you don't do that and get a registration completion stamp placed into the foreign passport by MID, the message says you can't leave Russia with the passport until it is done.

As we are about to go back into Russia with this new foreign passport, my question relates to how long does it take to get this registration process done so we can also leave Russia with it. We are hoping same day service, but I'd like to know if anyone has done this and can say more about it.

Edited by Chris Parker

07/18/07 I-130 approved!

07/23/07 NOA2 received

12/17/07 Case left NVC

Embassy (Moscow)

12/20/07 Medical exam

01/15/08 Visa rcvd!

01/26/08 Entered USA

02/28/08 PR card rcvd!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.