Beauty for Ashes

Wedding Cakes

110 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline
this is our wedding cake. I made it. that's what I do for a living though. now all my friends want me to make their cakes for free as their wedding gift....dunno bout that lol

Amber...wow!

I really want a doberge cake, but I'm definitely not the one to make it and I'm reluctant to have it shipped from NOLA. My sis says she'll bring it with her on the plane but I'm thinking she has to change planes in Dallas. With 2 year old twins. Shipping probably has better chances....

Done with USCIS until 12/28/2020!

penguinpasscanada.jpg

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?" ~Gandhi

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

Hooboy - I don't even remember what we had lol XD - I think it was a plain old white cake with some fruit and coconut ... or something. I'm not a cake fan. Cheesecake maybe. Whipped cream frosting, sure ... but usually - *yuk*.

But - $800 for a cake? Geez. I'd like to see that $800 cake beat this place: http://www.mozzicatobakery.com/wedding.asp

Their cakes are ... well, I hate cake, but I'll eat theirs. 99 years in business, they've been doing something right - and, I doubt they charge $800. $20 for a killer cake-to-order that serves 20 easy. :P

this is our wedding cake. I made it. that's what I do for a living though. now all my friends want me to make their cakes for free as their wedding gift....dunno bout that lol

Amber...wow!

I really want a doberge cake, but I'm definitely not the one to make it and I'm reluctant to have it shipped from NOLA. My sis says she'll bring it with her on the plane but I'm thinking she has to change planes in Dallas. With 2 year old twins. Shipping probably has better chances....

Doubt not the powers of FedEx my friend. :)

We ordered a cake from HERE: http://www.juniorscheesecake.com/ as a gift for my Grandmother. She got it next day - came in one piece, and OMG ...

I was scraping the plate to get every last particle of that thing ... it was that good.

I tell you - if I see another one of those - I'll eat half the thing myself. :D

It is the Best. Cheesecake. Ever. Ever. Man it's good.

Edited by KyanWan

The moral of my story: Stick with someone who matches your own culture.

( This coming from an Arab who married an Arab from overseas... go figure. )

9611.jpg

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

Josh and I didn't have a wedding cake :( But when I attended my brother in laws wedding last month, they had a very strange design on the cake (unfortunately, no picture of it)...

They decided to icing-shapes in the cake icing for things that meant something to them... If I remember correctly some of the things were normal like a butterfly and flower... but then they had a ketchup bottle on it too (they never would tell us what it signified).

Made me laugh though... my other brother in law came over to my mum-in-law and said "mum, there's a ketchup bottle on the cake", she responded with "well, move it away from it" :lol: Apparently they hadn't shared their cake design with anyone before hand ;)

Cheryl

06/2005 Met Josh online ~ 02/2006 My 1st visit to the US ~ 09/2006 2nd US visit (Josh proposed) ~ 02/2007 3rd US visit (married)

04/2007 K3 visa applied ~ 05/2007 Josh's 1st UK visit ~ 09/2007 4th US visit ~ 02/2008 K3 visa completed ~ 02/2008 US entry

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

04/2008 AOS/EAD filed ~ 05/2008 Biometrics ~ 06/2008 EAD recv'd ~ 08/2008 Conditional greencard

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

02/2010 3rd wedding anniversary ~ 06/04/2010 Apply for lifting conditions ~ 06/14 package delivered ~ 07/23 Biometrics

Filed: Timeline
Hooboy - I don't even remember what we had lol XD - I think it was a plain old white cake with some fruit and coconut ... or something. I'm not a cake fan. Cheesecake maybe. Whipped cream frosting, sure ... but usually - *yuk*.

But - $800 for a cake? Geez. I'd like to see that $800 cake beat this place: http://www.mozzicatobakery.com/wedding.asp

Their cakes are ... well, I hate cake, but I'll eat theirs. 99 years in business, they've been doing something right - and, I doubt they charge $800. $20 for a killer cake-to-order that serves 20 easy. :P

Amber...wow!

Doubt not the powers of FedEx my friend. :)

We ordered a cake from HERE: http://www.juniorscheesecake.com/ as a gift for my Grandmother. She got it next day - came in one piece, and OMG ...

I was scraping the plate to get every last particle of that thing ... it was that good.

Yeh, I thought it was a typo when they said that so I sent another email to em asking if it was a typo lol: I dunno....I don't want to be cheap...but omG when did wedding cakes become 800 AND UP? It's a flippin cake! I want something funky looking....and tbh, I don't care if it's not the.best.wedding.cake.ever....as long as it photographs good, lolz.....

Hell, on that thought, maybe I should make it, hahahahahaha.

Your link looks cool but they're too far from me :/

Oh, and Junior's is awesome! I actually have a cheesecake recipe that rivals Junior's!!!! I got it from my ex husband's grandmother...who only gave the recipe to me when she was literally on her deathbed. You know how us Italians can be :whistle: we never give up recipes.

Filed: Other Country: Germany
Timeline

Here's ours. Two layers were lemon cake and the top layer was red velvet. We got to eat that - the top layer - last year for our first anniversary. The cake had white dots, so did the glasses and my dress, haha :lol:

a7d8.jpg

Removal of Conditions Timeline:

03/19/2008 - package sent to TSC, let's hope for the best

03/20/2008 - check cashed

03/26/2008 - case sent to Vermont Service Center

04/17/2008 - Biometrics scheduled

05/19/2008 - received I551 extension stamp via INFOPASS

02/12/2009 - APPROVED

02/21/2009 - GC received...no mistakes...valid until 2019

When we were shopping, cakes were around $5 per serving, plus some flat fee ($200?). It is kind of outrageous.

I didn't have anything to do with the financials of my first wedding...so this is my first experience with quotes and whatnot. It's a bit crazy, if ya ask me.

Don't get me wrong....those wedding cake shows on tv? I'd prolly pay a few bucks for something ridiculously OTT....but that's not the kind of wedding this is...so something funky and different, that tastes ok will suit me just fine.

The more I think about this, the more I'm convinced that I'm going to try to make it myself.

I WAS thinking about getting a lower tier made of styrofoam :lol: there's only 6-10 peeps at our destination wedding, so ya can't have a cake to feed 100. But I don't wanna lose out on the tiers :lol: So I was thinking rolled fondant over styrofoam :lol:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
When we were shopping, cakes were around $5 per serving, plus some flat fee ($200?). It is kind of outrageous.

I didn't have anything to do with the financials of my first wedding...so this is my first experience with quotes and whatnot. It's a bit crazy, if ya ask me.

Don't get me wrong....those wedding cake shows on tv? I'd prolly pay a few bucks for something ridiculously OTT....but that's not the kind of wedding this is...so something funky and different, that tastes ok will suit me just fine.

The more I think about this, the more I'm convinced that I'm going to try to make it myself.

I WAS thinking about getting a lower tier made of styrofoam :lol: there's only 6-10 peeps at our destination wedding, so ya can't have a cake to feed 100. But I don't wanna lose out on the tiers :lol: So I was thinking rolled fondant over styrofoam :lol:

The lower tier made with styrofoam is actually very normal. We do them all the time at work :) Sometimes it's just for 20 ppl and 3 tiers so only the top tier is actual cake.

I'm going to make my own, but I don't know how I'm going to decorate it yet :blush: it's only going to be for 50 ppl max, and I'm actually thinking 20 (no way to tell yet). I'm really tempted to do a pyramid cake, but it would be alot more work than just a normal tiered cake. And besides that, it will be outside with lots of unrully children and I'm am horified of what they would do to the cake once we started cutting it :lol:

I will probably just end up with a normal tiered cake with fondant and some pretty scrollwork on it.... and maby some ribbon on the bottom edge or something :lol: sorry, no picture yet

يَايُّهَا الَّذِينَ ءامَنُوا اسْتَعِينُوا بِالصَّبْرِ وَالصَّلَوةِ اِنَّ اللَّهَ مَعَ الصَّبِرِينَ

“O you who believe! seek assistance through patience and prayer; surely Allah is with the patient. (Al-Baqarah 2:153 )”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Here's ours

Cake

May 11 '09 - Case Approved 10 yr card in the mail

June - 10 yr card recieved

Feb. 19, 2010 - N-400 Application sent to Phoenix Lockbox

April 3, 2010 - Biometrics

May 17,2010 - Citizenship Test - Minneapolis, MN

July 16, 2010- Retest (writing portion)

October 13, 2010 - Oath Ceremony

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

Filed: Other Timeline

We didn't have a wedding cake, in all the rush our 'friend' forgot to order it... :angry:

When we have our wedding here in New York or Hawaii and we have a cake, instead of the bride and groom we are going to put a small figurine of Radha Krishna on top since Govinda is always calling me his Radhika. :luv:

And if I had my wish we would have a Red Velvet cake - it's my favorite and red is the Nepali wedding color after all!! :lol:

thkirby-1.gifpetblink46.gif
BuddhaEyesGlobe.gif1433707c1j51myzp6.gif

The lower tier made with styrofoam is actually very normal. We do them all the time at work :) Sometimes it's just for 20 ppl and 3 tiers so only the top tier is actual cake.

Aww damn, and here's me thinkin I came up with something original! :lol:

Filed: Other Timeline

Now THAT's what I'm talkin' 'bout - can't beat Juniors!!!

I'm bringing one over to my family for Christmas, if I don't eat it first... :unsure:

thkirby-1.gifpetblink46.gif
BuddhaEyesGlobe.gif1433707c1j51myzp6.gif

Aww damn, and here's me thinkin I came up with something original! :lol:

we had several cakes but everyone was dragging me all ovver the place and putting heavy stuff on me I COULD HARDLY LOOK AT ANYTHING

Our cake was three tiers with a crown of yellow flowers. I'm not sure how much it cost because it was bundled in to the cost of the reception; the local bakery has a deal with pretty much every reception hall in town.

We had a marble layer, a chocolate layer, and a raspberry layer. And we didn't get any cake until the next day at my mother's house.

Lisa, I think you should go with very stylish cupcakes.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07