amrssnowangel

How Many Times Did you Meet Before Your Interview?

Number of Meetings  

44 members have voted

1. 1. How Long Have You Beenor were you In AP? If applicable

• <1 month
    • 1-2 months
    • 3-4 months
    • 5-6 months
    • 7-9 months
    • 10-12 months
    • > than 12 months
  2. 2. How Many times did you Meet in person before your interveiw?

• 2-3
    • 4-5
    • >6

48 posts in this topic

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't vote because the questions didn't really apply to me. We lived together in France for one year and I visited six times in the year following that (when I was living in the US). Then we went to Algeria and filed DCF. I was there when we dropped off the papers (because I was required to be) and there was no interview. The visa was approved and visa was ready a couple days later.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
I know AP means different things in Casa and Cairo, but isn't AP a security issue rather than an issue of validity of relationship, which the consulate has already addressed before the beneficiary enters AP? We know they do a name check, at least part of which is related to whether the pattern of consonants in the beneficiary's name is a match, and if it is, they do another level of checks. We know they look at profession, education, background, training. It would be interesting to know if the FBI even looks at the petitioner and their relationship during AP.

It's been speculated that, unlike Casa, Cairo will hold onto a case after the security checks have cleared in order to do further "processing". I don't think anyone is really sure exactly what that involves.

I have also heard this. The most recent explanation I heard was for the NSEERS.

I thought NSEERS didn't apply to immigrants...only nonimmigrants?

12/28/06 - got married :)

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

04/09/07 - I-130 and I-129F approval email sent!!!!

04/26/07 - Packet 3 received

06/16/07 - Medical Examination

06/26/07 - Packet 3 SUBMITTED FINALLY!!!!

07/07/07 - Received pkt 4

07/22/07 - interview consular never bothered to show up for work.

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

I know AP means different things in Casa and Cairo, but isn't AP a security issue rather than an issue of validity of relationship, which the consulate has already addressed before the beneficiary enters AP? We know they do a name check, at least part of which is related to whether the pattern of consonants in the beneficiary's name is a match, and if it is, they do another level of checks. We know they look at profession, education, background, training. It would be interesting to know if the FBI even looks at the petitioner and their relationship during AP.

It's been speculated that, unlike Casa, Cairo will hold onto a case after the security checks have cleared in order to do further "processing". I don't think anyone is really sure exactly what that involves.

Right, only to non-immigrants, bt Idir got a RFE for NSEERS when he applied for the EAD and AP...they never asked about it for te AOS. Our NOA1 that we were filing for AOS was sent in as evidence for the RFE, but the green card arrived before we found out if what Idir sent back would have satisfied them.

Usually NSEERS is taken care of at the POE and most k-1 and k-3 never have to worry about it.

Edited by mybackpages

erfoud44.jpg

24 March 2009 I-751 received by USCIS

27 March 2009 Check Cashed

30 March 2009 NOA received

8 April 2009 Biometric notice arrived by mail

24 April 2009 Biometrics scheduled

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

1 September 2009 (just over 5 months) Approved and card production ordered.

Timeline

Right, only to non-immigrants, bt Idir got a RFE for NSEERS when he applied for the EAD and AP...they never asked about it for te AOS. Our NOA1 that we were filing for AOS was sent in as evidence for the RFE, but the green card arrived before we found out if what Idir sent back would have satisfied them.

Usually NSEERS is taken care of at the POE and most k-1 and k-3 never have to worry about it.

OK that's what I thought. So it has nothing to do with Cairo's hold up.

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

sorry posts crazy computer connection

Edited by mybackpages

erfoud44.jpg

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

Right. No way it can impact Cairo. the law requires non-immigrants to register in the US once they have entered in to the US. Since everyone going through Cairo is waiting to come here, NSEERS would not apply until reaching the POE and then only non-immigrants.

Just from observing what you guys are going through in cairo, it seems to me that the biggst factors impacting the wait are

1) They process soooooo many applications (Egyptian, and other countries in the area which do not have US consulate)

2) whereas Casa tends to just reject applications that do nto meet the standard of prrof as they define it, Cario seems to choose to not reject and spend more time in AP to verfiy the legitimacy of the application.

3) They lack the resources to carry oout these proceedures in a timely manner.

I know you all are so frustrated with the slowness at Cario, but be careful for what you wish. They could speed up the process by outright rejecting some applications like Morocco.

Edited by mybackpages

erfoud44.jpg

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline
Right. No way it can impact Cairo. the law requires non-immigrants to register in the US once they have entered in to the US. Since everyone going through Cairo is waiting to come here, NSEERS would not apply until reaching the POE and then only non-immigrants.

Just from observing what you guys are going through in cairo, it seems to me that the biggst factors impacting the wait are

1) They process soooooo many applications (Egyptian, and other countries in the area which do not have US consulate)

2) whereas Casa tends to just reject applications that do nto meet the standard of prrof as they define it, Cario seems to choose to not reject and spend more time in AP to verfiy the legitimacy of the application.

3) They lack the resources to carry oout these proceedures in a timely manner.

I know you all are so frustrated with the slowness at Cario, but be careful for what you wish. They could speed up the process by outright rejecting some applications like Morocco.

This makes a whole lotta sense.

I'm the USC.

11/05/2007........Conditional permanent residency effective date.

01/10/2008........Two-year green card in hand.

08/08/2009........Our son was born <3

08/08/2009........Filed for removal of conditions.

12/16/2009........ROC was approved.

11/05/2010........Eligible for Naturalization.

03/01/2011........Separated.

11/05/2012........Eligible for Naturalization.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Well, I do believe Cairo is backed up, but that doesn't explain why some get a visa in 2 weeks while others wait 10 months. But let me ask...If we are approved AT the interview...does that mean we are APPROVED pending the AP? Do they ever expidite for any reason? Say if USCIS expidited your NOA2 due to medical reasons. I haven't even gotten my NOA2 yet and we filed in JUNE. Then to think of 3, 5, 7 months of AP just is horrifying. I agree, I wouldn't want them to just start denying petitions...but there has to be a better way. Why aren't they hiring staff to take care of these backlogs? Poor managment if you ask me. Im just getting frustrated waiting for my noa2 let alone the thought of long AP. I really do feel badly for those who have had to wait with no explaination. But I am baffled how some go through so easily...and some wait for sooooooooooo long. Something has to make them want to take a harder look. What is it?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

But they look at education, employment, ect???? My SO has a communications Engineering degree but currently hasn't been able to find work in Egypt.

we really thought this process wouldn't take so long so we decided for him to stop looking till he got here...but..now we are wondering about that. But he didn't have to do military time, doesn't have a high risk education factor, never traveled out of Egypt, and has no work history to raise a red flag over. So should his background check go faster? (As far as the name check/background check) Not sure how "common" his name is though. Seems all names are common but the order in which they use them differs. with a last name like Abd El Magid is that likely to be very common???

Timeline
But they look at education, employment, ect???? My SO has a communications Engineering degree but currently hasn't been able to find work in Egypt.

we really thought this process wouldn't take so long so we decided for him to stop looking till he got here...but..now we are wondering about that. But he didn't have to do military time, doesn't have a high risk education factor, never traveled out of Egypt, and has no work history to raise a red flag over. So should his background check go faster? (As far as the name check/background check) Not sure how "common" his name is though. Seems all names are common but the order in which they use them differs. with a last name like Abd El Magid is that likely to be very common???

I don't know about the name being common but my husband doesn't have a high risk education factor, never traveled out of Egypt and has no work history to raise a red flag over and it's going on almost three months now.

As far as I know though, the name check takes place in Washington at the DOS level and supposedly we've been done with them for a good month or so now.

Did your congressman actually respond to you? When I contacted Sen. Kennedy I was told they're 6 weeks behind on even checking their mail. Then I contacted Congressman John Tierney's office and haven't heard back from them. I'm starting to think contacting anyone in the US gov't is futile if you live in the boston area. :(

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
If we are approved AT the interview...does that mean we are APPROVED pending the AP?

Interestingly enough, they told Ramy he was approved at the interview, but when I called DOS they said he was in AR and "nothing is approved till he has that visa in his hand ma'am"

(ok, whatever.) :whistle:

I'll still say I think the time we were together affected how long we waited for the visa. Maybe even the fact that we didn't meet on the internet. :unsure:

Divorced. To hell with him.

I dont know if this will put things into perspective with names, but my son cant get on an airplane without getting pulled aside for a secondary security check from the department of Homeland secuirty before beign issued the boarding pass EVERY time he flys. His name is a match for someone.

I think the difference in time after the interview is based on several factors- security checks being one- some just require more time. Using arabic letters, the translation of a name can take many forms- eg Muhammed, Mohammmed, Mohammad, Mohamed

all of the variations would need to be verified.

anotehr fctor in time might be any special conslate rules that they set for themselves. If there is a case that may been some special handling for X, it goes into one pile, for Y it goes into another. X may take less time to coplete than Y. etc

I do think in general success at the interview menas you are getting the visa, unless they uncover soething in the AP process that would allow them to deny it. I dont think I have ever heard of that happeneing in any consulate.

erfoud44.jpg

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

Timeline

I dont know if this will put things into perspective with names, but my son cant get on an airplane without getting pulled aside for a secondary security check from the department of Homeland secuirty before beign issued the boarding pass EVERY time he flys. His name is a match for someone.

I think the difference in time after the interview is based on several factors- security checks being one- some just require more time. Using arabic letters, the translation of a name can take many forms- eg Muhammed, Mohammmed, Mohammad, Mohamed

all of the variations would need to be verified.

anotehr fctor in time might be any special conslate rules that they set for themselves. If there is a case that may been some special handling for X, it goes into one pile, for Y it goes into another. X may take less time to coplete than Y. etc

I do think in general success at the interview menas you are getting the visa, unless they uncover soething in the AP process that would allow them to deny it. I dont think I have ever heard of that happeneing in any consulate.

That reminds me of the skit from the Axis of Evil Comedy Tour where the guy says, "Hi, my name is Ahmed Ahmed, and I can't fly." :lol::lol:

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.