jawi876

My name ain't Stella....

3,691 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
I'm not arguing that there are good and bad schools in both the US and Jamaica.

I went through the public school system here. My own kids have been in Catholic grade school and a few years ago transferred to the public school system. My kids are in St. Louis County schools. A few of my friends work for the St. Louis City Schools. I can equally praise and question things being done in the schools. They all have their good and their bad.

My concerns with the Jamaican schools are due to my nieces, nephews, SILs, and BIL. Some of the tales they tell make my head hurt. For instance.....My BIL was held back last school year because he failed, only to be promoted back up after 2 weeks of this school year. My nephew, who did not have a registered birth paper, nor any schooling before this school year was immediately put into a class with children his own age....children who have 4 years of schooling on him. I question these kinds of things. And, then, my husband has his own stories and opinions.

And regarding the JA testing.....The point of that article (December 14 Gleaner) and all subsequent articles up to today, for me, is that an alarming number are failing English. The math seemed to be an issue for some who pointed out what is the point of technical schools if math, the very basis of most, is not being passed.

oooh... I forgot to mention english! This is where we have the edge on other foreign countries. Not just the english language, but Reading and comprehension. Now, anyone that has anything to do with the school system will tell you that only 1 of every 10 or so students can write a well composed paper, but my cousins in JA and even my HUSBAND!! have no clue to phonetically chunk a word..which affects their Reading and their spelling.

Basically. The focus of a country will be the leading for the educational establishments.

I also wanted to comment on the statement about most innercity schools being vocational based.

I taught 4th and 5th grade for years in innercity and we had this big campaign going on in the city about "college starts with pre-K" I totally agree and I hate that any student is not given the focus as college as the next step. HOWEVER with our "pre-k to college" mentality we were spending so much time focusing on a future that many of the kids will not partake in that we were neglecting to truly EDUCATE them and teach them tools they would utilize. This wasnt so evident in my grades but in the upper grades in the school. It is a tough call..

So..it looks like I went on rambling anyway..... haha

I'm not arguing that there are good and bad schools in both the US and Jamaica.

I went through the public school system here. My own kids have been in Catholic grade school and a few years ago transferred to the public school system. My kids are in St. Louis County schools. A few of my friends work for the St. Louis City Schools. I can equally praise and question things being done in the schools. They all have their good and their bad.

My concerns with the Jamaican schools are due to my nieces, nephews, SILs, and BIL. Some of the tales they tell make my head hurt. For instance.....My BIL was held back last school year because he failed, only to be promoted back up after 2 weeks of this school year. My nephew, who did not have a registered birth paper, nor any schooling before this school year was immediately put into a class with children his own age....children who have 4 years of schooling on him. I question these kinds of things. And, then, my husband has his own stories and opinions.

And regarding the JA testing.....The point of that article (December 14 Gleaner) and all subsequent articles up to today, for me, is that an alarming number are failing English. The math seemed to be an issue for some who pointed out what is the point of technical schools if math, the very basis of most, is not being passed.

JG,

We've had this convo before. I agree the Ja. educational system is sorely lacking in providing the same high standard of Education to all youth...regardless of their parents financial status! However, I think that the Jamaican Educational Structure (what is being taught, when it is introduced, how it is taught and introduced) far surpasses that of USA's Educational Structure. For example, we all know the best time to teach children new a complex concepts are when they are young. Foreign Languauge is a perfect example of this. It kills me that my school district (that I pay almost $8000 in taxes, BTW) refuses to introduce a language until 7th grade!!!! I have a international student from JA right now that is fluent in Spanish, French and German. She hopes to snag a job at the UN. So she has taken it upon herself to do a dual minor in Arabic & International Affairs! As well as her major in Political Science!

I attended my first few years of elementary school in the UK and by the time I was 7 I had been introduced to French and German! So now in a effort to make sure that my boys are prepared for the 2020 employment market I pay for outside lessons for my children to learn Spanish, Arabic and Chinese! Which in my opinion the first two should be mandatory that all public school children learn starting in Kindergarten! But we sit over here in our little bubble thinking..."If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" Please don't even get me started on Bush's 'No Child Left Behind" B.S.!!! January 20, 2009 can't get here quick enough!

Anyway...back on topic yeah...Ja. has some fixing to do as far as an EQUAL EDUCATION FOR ALL (Hopefully Golding is on that)...But so does the U.S. and I hope we realize that we gotta make a change quick before it's too late!

Bless,

Gill

I figured we could all use a good lunch today so here goes:

Fried Plantain & Breadfruit

Plantains_02.jpgBreadfruit_01.jpg

Some Fry Fish

Fish_10.jpg

With Festival

Festival.jpg

And Grater Cake for dessert

GraterCake.jpg

Enjoy :)

OMG YARDIE!!!!!!!!! THAT STUFF LOOKS SO GOOD!!!! YOU GOT MY MOUTH WATERING!!!!!!!!!!I just want to inhale it ALL!!!! Thanks for bringing lunch Girl...It's sincerely Appre-ci-rated!!!

Blessed,

Gill

VERY good points!

I LOVE MY HUSBAND!!!!!!!!!!!

10-29-07 Overnighted I-130 to VSC

10-30-07 I-1-30 Received

1-17-08 NOA-1

8-6-08 MOVED TO CSC

8-20-08 Approved!

8-25-08 Received at NVC

8-28-08 DS-3032 emailed

9-5-08 Paid AOS bill online

10-8-08 Paid IV bill online

10-17-08 RFE, DS230

10-28-08 CASE COMPLETE!

2-19-09 INTERVIEW 8:30am, APPROVED

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline
hush you hearrrrrr :whistle: , you tummy a hurt you :yes:;) , it soon finish okkkkkkkkkk

((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))))))))))) to you Jawi.......... (F)(L)

well thanks to you........

I took you'lls advice and yesterday before I left the stupid phone started ringing ( mind you I leave at 5 and at 4:56 the phone rang I was sooooooo pissed, but I answered, just in case it was the boss) and you would never guess who it was...............oh yes it was......him on teh other line.........mind you according to him he does not have my work number, he does not know where it is :lol: . after I was thruogh cursing him about calling me at work, and doing it right when he knows I am suppose to be leaving I said to him................ :whistle::whistle::D

MI NUH KNOW WHY MI SIDDUNG YAH A PINE OVAH YOU ALL DEM YAH YEARS..YOU LIKKLE SINTING NEVAH DO A TING FI MI............ :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: ( all said and done, I felt a little hurt after saying it) but, needless to say when I got home I had about 8 messages on my voicemail and he woke me up at 1:30 am, drunk has all get-up...slurring and all. Talking bout....how you a go seh dat bout di I and I................. You hurt mi feelings you nuh.

:lol: :lol: :lol::lol: , I couldn't stop cracking up I came in all laughs this morning

That made a little part of me feel very joyous.. hehe... I LOVE IT!!!

10-30-07 I-1-30 Received

1-17-08 NOA-1

8-6-08 MOVED TO CSC

8-20-08 Approved!

8-25-08 Received at NVC

8-28-08 DS-3032 emailed

10-17-08 RFE, DS230

10-28-08 CASE COMPLETE!

Timeline

I know what you mean Shrewdgal. My husband works with Delta airlines and the training that was apart of the job was similar to a basic elementry English class. You have to pass the training to continue with the job. He had normal airline training too but the English part was a trip. They were questions about how to form a complete sentence. Distinguishing between similar sound words like.....there and their. Really basic stuff, but all this training was to help them when they had to speak "proper English" to US based Delta customers. That was the first time I saw just how much of a struggle the "English' language can be...well into adulthood for many Jamaicans. All because its not the form of English they standarly use.

Edited by Marlita

PUSH!: Pray Until Something Happens!

Timeline
U.S Education - some of those inner city schools sound horrible...but there are good public schools out there. I find that black parents (not all of us) just don't question what is going on in our children's schools or do research to find good schools, sending one child to the local or zoned school nah mek it, if the school is garbarge . Nor is it encouraged, public schools could not push black students to vocational schools if the parents spoke up or while the school was pushing the parents pushed back and directed the children elsewhere. I absolutely hate asking a high school student what they want to be when the grow up and they have no answer. The public schools in my neighorborhood are dismal, well the scores are at any rate. the scores are so bad i was even doubtful of the gifted programs. lol

it seems as if its the poor who get screwed no matter what country u live in

Ditto..GARBAGE!!! the story of my life lately. We moved into a new school district. It has been a toal nightmare. My daughter hates the unaccredited neighborhood school in which she was placed. She was singled out by the school her so called school adviser when I called at ask about why she did she had not been given homework for three days. My daughter is used to doing at least an hours worth of homework every night in the A1 school disctict me moved from.....she was pulled out of class repremanded for coming home and telling me she had no home work. She was given a had written note for all of her teacher that said.."This student is to be given homework every day, she is required to stop to check in with the advisor to make sure she has homework. My daughter is the only one in her classes to recieve homework :blink: What kills me is it's just busy work, it dosne't apply to any of her subjects. It is surely sad. She will transfer our of the neighbor hood school in to a college prep middle school in which she had to test-in for enrollment. I just cannot believe how they treat her now that they know..she came fromt the school.."up north" she often comments on how she has to correct her math teacher...he responds with:"I'm glad somebody's finally listening" :blink: The elementary school is not any better, My son has almost 30 kids in his class, I don't see how she could be teaching them anything. :unsure:

That is tough. I have read many comments on our education versus the education in JA and some points I agree with and some I disagree with. Upfront I will say I have taught "innercity" where we were DEEP in the ghetto and I have taught in an upperclass university town and am currently in a title one (high percentage of free lunches..so basically low income) school in a small country town. Within the U.S. the schools are different in themselves.

I have also taught in JA schools and 2 of my aunts are JA teachers and one a principal.

What I will say is that whether education in JA or education in the US is better cannot be perfectly judged because we teach very different things. Jamaica does teach more advanced Science and MAth at an early age, however the US is changing in the Math department. I was on a board for my State's SOL review and the smaller strands of algebra are practiced (not just introduced) in 3rd grade. Geometry is studied in 1st grade. Earlier if you consider learning shapes. I think as a country we are lacking in this area.

As far as innercity schools having less funding this is not always true. All public schools are eligible for Title One Grants and Reading First grants. MAny other grants, where this money goes is often specifically stated so you end up with somewhat of a see-saw patched up improvement.

I also know I spent some time this summer tutoring a summer school in JA and the students (equivalent to our 5th grade - 4 year I think they are called) did not know things that I know for sure our students have been taught. BUT the students still had more expectations of what they independently did at school than our US students, therefore it would appear they retain more of what they learn..if that makes any sense?

I encourage all of you to get involved in a school or education program in your community as you all seem very passionate.

There is sooo much more I want to say but it would just stop making sense..if it hasnt already...hahaha

that comment made it seem as though I had taught regularly in JA. This is not so. Only as special programs and volunteer.. okay.. to clear that up for my own sanity (which is rare these days.....)

10-30-07 I-1-30 Received

1-17-08 NOA-1

8-6-08 MOVED TO CSC

8-20-08 Approved!

8-25-08 Received at NVC

8-28-08 DS-3032 emailed

10-17-08 RFE, DS230

10-28-08 CASE COMPLETE!

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Jengles...let us know what is up wit your knee...........you not back from the doctor yet?

Clairen:

first, so srry to hear abou tyou and your ex........My motto these days this too shall pass!!!!!!!!!! ( thanks to Gill)

Second, loose weight why? A on likkle magga ooman or a one magga man? neither one matters, tell them fi go kotch dem batty pon bow-wire......:lol: srry just had to say it....theses docs think that everythignis caused by overwieght..........dang idiot them.

That must be oath they taking these days: I promise to make each and eceryone of my patient loose weight............lol

And him a Trini man too. Cha :huh::huh:

Support "OPEN ARMS FOR JAMAICA'S FUTURE" Help a child go to school

Timeline
I figured we could all use a good lunch today so here goes:

Fried Plantain & Breadfruit

Plantains_02.jpgBreadfruit_01.jpg

Some Fry Fish

Fish_10.jpg

With Festival

Festival.jpg

And Grater Cake for dessert

GraterCake.jpg

Enjoy :)

Yardie;

Me jus a come, but the food look good no raahtid. Me cook fry dumplings and cookup saltfish fe a late brekfus this mawning and the only ting missing was the plantain. Tonks me chile. :thumbs:

Where is Gill's birthday cake. Her birthday was today and I did not log on until tonite at work cause my puter acting up. Give her one tomorrow from all a we.

Love Claire :thumbs::thumbs:

Support "OPEN ARMS FOR JAMAICA'S FUTURE" Help a child go to school

Timeline

((((((((((GILLLI))))))))))))))))))....HAPPY HAPPY BIRTDAY MI DEAR U COULDN'T REMIND....CHA U KNOW WHAT A GWAAN OVA YA SO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MANY MANY MORE YEARS YOUR WAY.............LOVE LOVE LOVE YAH MAN....HOPE IT WAS A LOVELY ONE !!!!!!!!!! (L)(L)(F)

MOTIVATE A CHILD... SUPPORT OPEN ARMS FOR JAMAICA'S FUTURE, INC. WE NEED A BRIGHTER TOMORROW !!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

(((((((GILLLL)))))))):

8378.jpg

Much love to you hon...

I-130 for husband - see TIMELINE

10/23/2007 - Receive SSC (took 9 days from POE)

12/04/2007 - Receive Welcome Letter

12/14/2007 - Received 2nd Welcome Letter and Green card!!!

======================================================

N-400

09/21/2010 - Mailed application to Lewisville TX location

09/23/2010 - Information input in the system/check cashed

09/29/2010 - N-400 receipt received

09/30/2010 - RFE mailed

10/15/2010 - Biometrics appt (@8am) YAY!!!!

11/20/2010 - Received the yellow letter (dated 11/17/2010)

11/30/2010 - Case moved to the Testing & Interview stage (Email)

12/03/2010 - Received interview letter

01/06/2011 - Interview @ 10:15a...APPROVED!

02/12/2011 - Received oath ceremony letter (dated 02/10/2011)

02/18/2011 - Received descheduled oath ceremony letter (dated 2/15/2011)

02/26/2011 - Received new oath ceremony letter

03/02/2011 - Oath Ceremony @ 1:30p (IT'S ABOUT TIME!!!)

03/09/2011 - Oath Ceremony @ 1:30p...FINALLY A CITIZEN!!!

Timeline
tell him he can't call the house phone no more because your man don't like it.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I do not wish to share any information about this dead end journey.........I have reached my final destination on this train, and it is time for me to get off.

THIS TOO SHALL PASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"If marriage means you fell in love, does divorce mean you climbed out?"

"You never really know a man until you have divorced him."-Zsa Zsa Gabor

"When a man hath taken a wife, and married her, and it come to pass that she find no favour in his eyes, because he hath found some uncleanness in her: then let him write her a bill of divorcement, and give it in her hand, and send her out of his house. And when she is departed out of his house, she may go and be another man's wife." Deuteronomy 24:1-2

"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on." - Franklin D. Roosevelt

"When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us." - Helen Keller

"Even though you may want to move forward in your life, you may have one foot on the brakes. In order to be free, we must learn how to let go. Release the hurt. Release the fear. Refuse to entertain your old pain. The energy it takes to hang onto the past is holding you back from a new life. What is it you would let go of today?" - Mary Manin Morrissey

"I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Theresa

Timeline
tell him he can't call the house phone no more because your man don't like it and den change the voice/answering maching message to "we aren't here right now"

:lol::lol::lol:

And I would get a guy friend to record the new answering machine message...make sure he talks super sexy ;):yes:

lawd god....unna a go get mi inn atrouble wid him........... :lol::lol::lol: but I gonna do it .

I do not wish to share any information about this dead end journey.........I have reached my final destination on this train, and it is time for me to get off.

"When a man hath taken a wife, and married her, and it come to pass that she find no favour in his eyes, because he hath found some uncleanness in her: then let him write her a bill of divorcement, and give it in her hand, and send her out of his house. And when she is departed out of his house, she may go and be another man's wife." Deuteronomy 24:1-2

"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on." - Franklin D. Roosevelt

"When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us." - Helen Keller

"Even though you may want to move forward in your life, you may have one foot on the brakes. In order to be free, we must learn how to let go. Release the hurt. Release the fear. Refuse to entertain your old pain. The energy it takes to hang onto the past is holding you back from a new life. What is it you would let go of today?" - Mary Manin Morrissey

"I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Theresa

Timeline
Jengles...let us know what is up wit your knee...........you not back from the doctor yet?

Clairen:

first, so srry to hear abou tyou and your ex........My motto these days this too shall pass!!!!!!!!!! ( thanks to Gill)

Second, loose weight why? A on likkle magga ooman or a one magga man? neither one matters, tell them fi go kotch dem batty pon bow-wire......:lol: srry just had to say it....theses docs think that everythignis caused by overwieght..........dang idiot them.

That must be oath they taking these days: I promise to make each and eceryone of my patient loose weight............lol

And him a Trini man too. Cha :huh::huh:

I thought they liked us big girls......what he is too American....I can't stand that .............tell him fi just cool man....

Timeline

((((((((((((((((((((((GILL)))))))))))))))))))))))))

HAPPY BIRTHDAY (L)(F)

Its you birthday, you one year younger :luv::dancing::dancing::dance::wub:

Filed: Other Timeline
t....theses docs think that everythignis caused by overwieght..........dang idiot them.

Tell me about it!!!.. :( They have no clue! You would think they would take % of body fat under consideration..but no :blink: ..Not that mine is very low, it dosen't matter what I do, I watch what I eat exercise...I just tone up..dose nothing for my weight :help: Now my goal is to be 15-20% or less body fat. :unsure:

4457325_bodyshot_175x233.gif 4489327_bodyshot_175x233.gif

Cases complete!Enjoying life!!

PM me if you have questions

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.