4 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Bosnia-Herzegovina
Timeline

My wife (recently married) has been here legally working with an H1B visa for the last 5 years. We are getting ready to submit our AOS paperwork this week. My question is when can she quit her job without losing her legal status? She will be going to school and not working. Do we need the EAD even if she doesn’t plan on using it? She is very concerned about being out of status.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

My understanding is that once you file for AOS, you cannot be out of status. So your wife only needs an EAD if she plans on changing jobs, i.e. working somewhere that's not her current H-1B job. But if she quits her job now and for some reason her AOS is denied, she will be immediately out of status. Another effect of quitting her job is that she won't be able to travel abroad on her H-1B while her AOS is pending, so she would need to apply for AP.

AOS Application Mailed Oct. 16, 2007

AOS Application Received Oct. 17, 2007

Checks cashed Oct. 24, 2007

Received 4 NOA1s on Oct. 27, 2007 (dated Oct. 23)

Received Biometrics Appointment Notice on Nov. 5, 2007 (dated Oct. 31)

Biometrics Appointment for AOS and EAD on Nov. 20, 2007

EAD card production ordered on Dec. 14 (received email on Dec. 17)

AP approval on Dec. 17 (received email on Dec. 17)

Received AP on Dec. 22

Received EAD card on Dec. 28

Received interview notice on Jan. 12

Interview on Feb. 28

CRIS email 03/07: I-130 approved

CRIS email 03/12: card production ordered!

Received Welcome Notice & Approval Notices on 03/15

GREEN CARD RECEIVED ON 03/18!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

As soon as you file the I-130/I-485/I-765/I-864 this makes her pending AOS so not a problem.

File for EAD with AOS, it is part of the $1010 fee paid for AOS.

:guides:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...page=i130guide2

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;page=k1k3ead

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Be aware that many schools require and EAD or the AP as proof that you are AOS pending and will not accept your NOA notice only. A friend of mine now at MIT was told this. Different schools have different policies. But since you are paying for it anyway you might as well get the AP and EAD which puts her int he clear to go to school, as well as to quit her job and still be able to travel etc. etc.

June 29, 2007 : Erin and Muraari's Wedding in Seattle, WA (YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

July 24, 2007: Mailed all paperwork to Chicago (Wish us luck)

Aug 31, 2007: Biometrics Appointment

Sep 1, 2007: Received NOA1 (Dated Aug 29)

Nov 25, 2007: Received notice for interview in Baltimore, MD (No touches, nothing online to date)

Jan 22, 2008: Interview in Baltimore, MD. Went well.

Jan 29, 2008: Can finally track I-130 online. Approved.

Jan 31, 2008: Email I-485 "Card production ordered"

Feb 5, 2008: Another email I-485 "Card production ordered"

Feb 7, 2008: Received I-130 approval and I-485 "Welcome to America Letter" in snail mail

Feb 7, 2008: Email I-485 "Approval notice mailed"

Feb 9, 2008: GC in hand....... (Done with USCIS for a few months) YAYY!!!!!!

Oct 22, 2009: Process starts again. Going to mail I-751 to VSC

Jan 26, 2010: Notice of Approval and Card Production for 10-year GC

Feb 3, 2010: 10-Year GC Received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.