The Vent

4,952 posts in this topic

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Yup, it suckssss. But god forbid we mention anything about universal health care :o ..... after all, who wants the poor or the middle classes to be healthy anyways????? :bonk:

It's not like they make up most of the armed forces or anything. :innocent:

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

Timeline
Yup, it suckssss. But god forbid we mention anything about universal health care :o ..... after all, who wants the poor or the middle classes to be healthy anyways????? :bonk:

Actually... I don't have a problem with universal health care at all, so long as private health care remains a viable option for those who want it. I like the ability to choose.

Oh and just so some of you know, very few physicians have any say whatsoever in how health insurance providers operate. From the physicians I know and have spoken to (and that accounts for quite a few), I can honestly tell you that the average physician strongly dislikes HMO and PPO interference. Not only do they make it difficult to effectively treat a patient, but they can limit or even withhold payment from the physician himself.

Besides... do you think physicians get a "free ride" when it comes to health care? No, they have to pay for health insurance just like anyone else. So not only do they deal with the ####### the insurance companies give them when handling patients, but also the ####### of attempting to receive treatment and medication themselves.

I think it's a safe bet to say that most physicians would be very happy to see health insurance companies go away completely.

Yesterday when I was at the dentist, I was asked if I'd want to forego my teeth cleaning if my insurance didn't cover it.

Me: :blink: Whaaaaaat?

Suffice to say, I'll never get used to health care in the States. Yeah, health care and dental care is different, but... hell, I was thinking about my mother back home who happily went for her yearly mammogram just recently, and us needing to pay out the chute for that here. Gives a whole new meaning to preventative health care :P

Nini - Vancouver BC, Canada (she's the one who does the forum thing)

Bee - Devon PA, USA (he's the one who gave her the shiny ring)

Getting our sanity tested by bureaucracy since 2007.

Here we go again...

Removal of conditions @ VSC

9/4/2010 - sent!

9/14/2010 - NOA

Filed: Timeline
Yesterday when I was at the dentist, I was asked if I'd want to forego my teeth cleaning if my insurance didn't cover it.

Me: :blink: Whaaaaaat?

Suffice to say, I'll never get used to health care in the States. Yeah, health care and dental care is different, but... hell, I was thinking about my mother back home who happily went for her yearly mammogram just recently, and us needing to pay out the chute for that here. Gives a whole new meaning to preventative health care :P

Preventative care = one look from the doc.

Covered by premium = two looks by doc and one phone call from his/her medical assistant.

NOT covered = everything else.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Chile
Timeline

My husband currently lives with his parents and his little brother (who is 15) and my son (who is 17). Thinking that immigration would be completed by the year end of 2008 when we started, hubby agreed that he could tolerate those living conditions for that amount of time. As it is now, immigration will not be complete until about August 2009 but I don't have the heart to tell him this. My husband thinks we are about halfway through the process, time wise, but we are no where near that.

His parents have me completely pissed off. It is almost a good thing that they don't speak English and my Spanish isn't good enough to yell at them for being complete morons. Hubby called last night and although this has been going on for several months, he has finally had his fill of putting up with this parents. His mother greets my husband every payday at the door with her hand out. He is already paying more than half the expenses and half the rent and his mother expect that it is my husband's responsibility to clothe and entertain his younger brother as well. She has become nothing but a glorified welfare witch. Yesterday, she became violent because my husband wouldn't take her out shopping to buy a juicer. She hit my husband and threw a dish at him when he refused to take her shopping and buy her this item. At first he said he was confused because he couldn't figure out what the fuss was all about having never been involved in a discussion about a juicer and certainly not about anything involving the urgency of obtaining this kitchen implement. The woman has gone completely psycho. The father, no better. My husband and him currently work jointly in carpentry and my husband gets the gigs and splits the pay (they are paid per house) with his father who in my husband's words, "looks at something that needs to be completed and thinks about the most difficult and time consuming way to complete it, and goes about doing that." My husband owns all the tools, compressors, etc and pays for the monthly payment on the van they use, as well as the insurance.

He is tired of it as am I. Son will be coming to the U.S. as soon as it seems like a nice break at his school for it. He is a USC (product of my first marriage) and having already confirmed with his new U.S. school, he won't lose any credits or time if he transfers mid semester. Husband will be moving out on his own and basically severing ties (including work) with his family. The one that concerns me is the little brother. That poor kid is being raised (for lack of a better term) by complete schizos. I want to get him to the U.S. with us in any way I can, but the wait times are incredible. We can't even start the process until husband has U.S. citizenship and by that time, little brother will be about 18.

I just cannot find words adequate to describe my frustration and the immigration delays and the horrible and unnecessary living conditions that my son and husband tolerate during these delays.

My blog

10/01/2005: Married in Toronto

02/15/2006: Began Canadian Immigration

09/19/2007: Withdrew CIC application (they still hadn't processed anything)

10/01/2007: Moved back to U.S.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IR-1 application through Montreal Consulate

10/26/2007: I-130 mailed to CA Service Center

10/29/2007: USPS confirmation of receipt of I-130

02/13/2008: NOA-1 received (107 days)

07/02/2008: I-130 approved

07/22/2008: AOS filed including EAD and AP

07/25/2008: NOA-1s for all 3 received

08/20/2008: Biometrics appointment

08/22/2008: Received RFE for Affadivit of Support and Medical

10/21/2008: Submitted I-865W in lieu of co-sponsor and medical info to NSC

11/14/2008: online case status not updated since filing of AOS in July 2008

01/20/2009: Received another RFE for Affadavit of Support Info

02/02/2009: Responded to RFE with brand new AOS based on 2008 tax return (if that doesn't shut them up, dunno what will)

02/19/2009: EAD card received in mail (no updates on Online Case Status ever made)

02/23/2009: AP received (again, no online updates)

02/26/2009: Received interview appointment letter for 4/6/09

04/06/2009: AOS approved for unconditional GC

04/21/2009: GC received

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Geez!! (understatement)

That's just horrendous! I'm just shaking my head. What Mother throws a dish at her son, grown up or not. Very strange! I'm glad he is moving out and that your Son is getting out of there too, it is a shame that the Brother can't move with them.

Delicia, barring some weird hold up with your application, I don't think you are looking at 2009, I don't know if you are just calculating worse case scenario (so as not to be disappointed) - but really the interview should take place this year.

Timeline

Delicia, my heart goes out to you. (L) Was your MIL always like this or has something changed? I'm thinking maybe separation anxiety or mental defect or some other illness. I don't know. I certainly can't figure out your FIL. DH's 'lil bro? I don't think you can adopt him in time but maybe someone knows the adoption process. That's all I can think of. How's your son holding up?

IR5

Timeline

My son, thankfully, has always been oblivious to his surroundings. For once this is a good thing. My husband tells me that MIL and FIL leave him alone and if they want him to do something (pick up his clothes from the bedroom floor for example) the info goes from MIL/FIL to husband. I am thankful that the in-laws sort of treat him as unapproachable. Also, son is doing exceptionally well in school and has become BIL's tutor and those 2 who share a room couldnt be better friends. They spend all their time together playing video games or hanging out. They both are aware what has been going on in the house and pretty much keep to themselves in their bedroom which my husband has outfitted with computers for each of them and tv+xbox so they can stay a bit isolated from the insanity.

My husband is already his brother's legal guardian. That is something that they set up some years ago because the MIL/FIL didn't want to be bothered with 'school' stuff like attending parent-teacher conferences and signing permission slips. My husband also is in charge of his medical needs (taking him to the doctor and dentist) and everything else. It would be wonderful if we could adopt him, but I don't know if it is even a legal possibility.

My blog

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

02/02/2009: Responded to RFE with brand new AOS based on 2008 tax return (if that doesn't shut them up, dunno what will)

02/19/2009: EAD card received in mail (no updates on Online Case Status ever made)

Timeline
My son, thankfully, has always been oblivious to his surroundings. For once this is a good thing. My husband tells me that MIL and FIL leave him alone and if they want him to do something (pick up his clothes from the bedroom floor for example) the info goes from MIL/FIL to husband. I am thankful that the in-laws sort of treat him as unapproachable. Also, son is doing exceptionally well in school and has become BIL's tutor and those 2 who share a room couldnt be better friends. They spend all their time together playing video games or hanging out. They both are aware what has been going on in the house and pretty much keep to themselves in their bedroom which my husband has outfitted with computers for each of them and tv+xbox so they can stay a bit isolated from the insanity.

My husband is already his brother's legal guardian. That is something that they set up some years ago because the MIL/FIL didn't want to be bothered with 'school' stuff like attending parent-teacher conferences and signing permission slips. My husband also is in charge of his medical needs (taking him to the doctor and dentist) and everything else. It would be wonderful if we could adopt him, but I don't know if it is even a legal possibility.

If DH has been legal guardian for more than two years then there's a chance. If DH is a Canadian citizen then 'lil bro can leave the country without issue (I believe) but I don't remember what the US rule is. Might be worth looking into as soon as you can as aging out may be a consideration if 'lil bro becomes 16. The rule changes on the adoptee's sixteenth birthday. DH might even be able bring him in under his application by amending it. I wish I knew more, someone here has to know the procedure. I really feel for DH and you too.

IR5

Timeline

My husband is not a Canadian citizen, but little bro is (he was born in Ontario). The little brother turns 16 in just a few weeks so seems like no issues. I think I might need to investigate student visas in the U.S. as a temp solution.

My blog

Timeline
My husband is not a Canadian citizen, but little bro is (he was born in Ontario). The little brother turns 16 in just a few weeks so seems like no issues. I think I might need to investigate student visas in the U.S. as a temp solution.

Might still be able to amend DH's application to put 'lil bro on it. I would think since DH's parents are not likely to contest an adoption you really should see if anything can be done before 'lil bro reaches 16. The US might (I'm not sure about Cando-American adoptions) just look at the legal guardianship. Time is tight though, after 'lil bro reaches 16 things will get more difficult. Good luck.

IR5

Filed: Timeline

Shi1te and more sh1te. I'm here, wasting my afternoon at a training session for an application I already know how to effing use :angry:, so I am havingchildish fun posting in secret, hopefullythe dude who's "teaching" will remain as daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa unaware as up until now. BORINGGGG

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.