bradcanuck

The Vent

4,952 posts in this topic

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline
I was thinking this morning about U.S. immigration (yes, off topic - no hang on....). Anyway, I was thinking of Canadian immigration vs U.S. and how much nicer we are (although Delicia might not agree - sorry Delicia!).

Then I was wondering what effect this long drawn out U.S. immigration process has on immigrants, at least some. So what if you get stuck in AP for a year or more and they lose your paperwork and etc etc. Then you immigrate and it takes weeks to get a SSN, if they even acknowledge you exist and employers aren't willing to hire you based on your visa alone (and those are IR people, K3 people go through much more once they arrive, as we all know).

How does this taint the new immigrants view of the U.S.. How can that be good for a country? Don't you want your new immigrants to love your country and have respect for your government and laws and blah blah blah.

As to how this relates to Canadian immigration, i'm sure in some quarters we appear soft, but whatever, we let married couples live together and a host of other things and that has to be good for Canada as a whole.

Anyway, just something I was thinking.

My gosh - Bren and I were talking about this just yesterday - about common-law partners being able to petition for immigration, same-sex couples as well. It seems to me the Canadian system is better in some ways, and not so better in others (the points system screams elitism). We were particularly thinking of a gay friend who lives in Eugene, Oregon and is in love with a girl from Bolivia: tough nougies (or however you spell that) - no can't do. :unsure:

Even though I love the US and its people, I definitely have a love-hate relationship due to the ####### that I've been put through. Not only with immigration, but with the regular day-to-day aspects of life as well. Since I've lived an entire adult life knowing and learning one set of rules, I thought I had it down pat. But nothing they do here is anything like they do in Canada, so it just gets so darn frustrating. *sigh*

Sister, I'm with on this one -as usual, great minds think alike- :thumbs:

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm just glad to have the internet back after going a whole week (GASP) without it -- gotta love major ice storms! ;)

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Even though I love the US and its people, I definitely have a love-hate relationship due to the ####### that I've been put through. Not only with immigration, but with the regular day-to-day aspects of life as well. Since I've lived an entire adult life knowing and learning one set of rules, I thought I had it down pat. But nothing they do here is anything like they do in Canada, so it just gets so darn frustrating. *sigh*

I agree. Growing up as a country close to the US I thought things weren't THAT different between us, but they are. I learned that when I went to school there, and even more so when I moved back to Canada. Love both places for their strenths and differences. Proud to be Canadian always though. I found myself arguing for both countries and against both countries depending on the issue. Everything will become routine though, hang in there! We will all have to get used to hearing to 'blame Canada' though. I used to hate that $hit:)

2003 Met my husband while going to school in U.S.

2005 Moved back to Canada :(

2005-2007 Many visits back to the U.S.

July 20, 2007 Married!

July 27, 2007 Sent off I-130 package

August 6, 2007 Confirmation service center received package via online tracking

September 6, 2007 NOA-1 Receipt date

September 10, 2007 Received NOA-1 in mail

Case pending at CSC

March 6, 2008 Touch

March 7, 2008 Touch

March 9, 2008 Touch

March 11, 2008 1-130 Approved

September 11, 2007 Sent off I-129f package

September 17, 2007 Confirmation service center received package

September 19, 2007 NOA-1 Receipt date

September 25, 2007 Received NOA-1 in mail

Case pending at CSC

March 6, 2008 Touch

March 7, 2008 Touch.

March 9, 2008 Touch

March 11, 2008 1-129f Approved

Filed: Timeline
I might take a break. *sigh* I'm getting extremely desolate just thinking about my AOS and how paperwork stuff has been messing up since I moved here. The congressman's office has promised to look into it, but seeing as how things have gone lately I can't help but think that it's just going to get worse, like they'll accuse me of wasting their time or something. And I'm trying to get an internship in the meantime just to keep myself occupied, but sadly there's been no luck there.

It's getting very tiring to just sit at home, play video games or watch TV, wait for Bee to come home from his evening shift with dinner prepared and laundry done. Such is the price you pay for this process, but I can't help but feel incredibly frustrated at it. The prospect of looking forward to this for months is daunting. I'm trying to keep my chin up, but it's hard sometimes.

The worst part is that my family back home keeps pressing me about whether I've found a job yet, and I keep telling them, "My paperwork hasn't gone through yet." I've told them specifically that it could take a few months, and all they can do is ask about my job. It's honestly starting to become very stressful to talk to them even though I understand that they're just concerned.

I just feel horrible because I know I haven't really posted anything other than vents and I wish there was something good I can talk about... um, other than the fact that I found crackers from a Vancouver catering company at the grocery store the other day. Boy did that make me homesick. And boy were they also expensive ;)

Whoooooaaa Nelly! (Or I guess Nini in this case.) Stop being so hard on yourself, girl!!! Sit back and enjoy the forced break. There's so very few of them given in this world. You can't work until you're authorized. End of story; end of conversation. I loooooooove preparing dinner and doing laundry when I want to instead of when I can do or when I have to. The paperwork will arrive in no time, and you'll be out working your butt off and wishing you'd appreciated the rest. Roll with it, sweetie. It's a nice place to be. :thumbs:

As for feeling horrible about posting vents.... Always remember to look for the light in a situation. Because if you don't find it, you'll always be in the dark. (F)

Edited by Krikit
iagree.gif

I was thinking this morning about U.S. immigration (yes, off topic - no hang on....). Anyway, I was thinking of Canadian immigration vs U.S. and how much nicer we are (although Delicia might not agree - sorry Delicia!).

Then I was wondering what effect this long drawn out U.S. immigration process has on immigrants, at least some. So what if you get stuck in AP for a year or more and they lose your paperwork and etc etc. Then you immigrate and it takes weeks to get a SSN, if they even acknowledge you exist and employers aren't willing to hire you based on your visa alone (and those are IR people, K3 people go through much more once they arrive, as we all know).

How does this taint the new immigrants view of the U.S.. How can that be good for a country? Don't you want your new immigrants to love your country and have respect for your government and laws and blah blah blah.

As to how this relates to Canadian immigration, i'm sure in some quarters we appear soft, but whatever, we let married couples live together and a host of other things and that has to be good for Canada as a whole.

Anyway, just something I was thinking.

My gosh - Bren and I were talking about this just yesterday - about common-law partners being able to petition for immigration, same-sex couples as well. It seems to me the Canadian system is better in some ways, and not so better in others (the points system screams elitism). We were particularly thinking of a gay friend who lives in Eugene, Oregon and is in love with a girl from Bolivia: tough nougies (or however you spell that) - no can't do. :unsure:

Sister, I'm with on this one -as usual, great minds think alike- :thumbs:

OMG I have been sooooo saying this for so long.

This thread opened up that can of worms, but not too many wriggled out. :lol:

Oh well, I am a firm believer in free will, and this being stopped from living with one's husband, wife, parent, anything at all, really sucks, and completely unnecessary. A quick police check and let people through borders (regardless of country; I am not picking on the States).

If there were a country of saints (have I said this here before...sorry to repeat myself), then by all means build those high walls and keep us regular humans out.

:star:

I am so curious Krikit. Could you tell us more? I have spent a lot of time in the U.S. and mostly noticed the ridiculous amount of flags. I guess you need to be reminded of where you live in case you are too drunk or something...hahaha, ahem, and I do notice some philosophical difference, like about things like guns.

It's the details, huh?

B)

SpiritAlight edits due to extreme lack of typing abilities. :)

You will do foolish things.

Do them with enthusiasm!!

Don't just do something. Sit there.

K1: Flew to the U.S. of A. – January 9th, 2008 (HELLO CHI-TOWN!!! I'm here.)

Tied the knot (legal ceremony, part one) – January 26th, 2008 (kinda spontaneous)

AOS: Mailed V-Day; received February 15th, 2007 – phew!

I-485 application transferred to CSC – March 12th, 2008

Travel/Work approval notices via email – April 23rd, 2008

Green card/residency card: email notice of approval – August 28th, 2008 yippeeeee!!!

Funny-looking card arrives – September 6th, 2008 :)

Mailed request to remove conditions – July 7, 2010

Landed permanent resident approved – August 23rd, 2010

Second funny looking card arrives – August 31st, 2010

Over & out, Spirit

I agree. Growing up as a country close to the US I thought things weren't THAT different between us, but they are. I learned that when I went to school there, and even more so when I moved back to Canada. Love both places for their strenths and differences. Proud to be Canadian always though. I found myself arguing for both countries and against both countries depending on the issue. Everything will become routine though, hang in there! We will all have to get used to hearing to 'blame Canada' though. I used to hate that $hit:)

I'm in complete agreement with you here Lincoln.

The blaming Canada for the weather just drives me nuts.

All of our weather in Montreal is due to the "midwest"...thanks a lot! Ha!

And I, too, argue for and against everything.

It is good to be balanced!

:star: :star: :star:

Tied the knot (legal ceremony, part one) – January 26th, 2008 (kinda spontaneous)

Green card/residency card: email notice of approval – August 28th, 2008 yippeeeee!!!

Over & out, Spirit

I might take a break. *sigh* I'm getting extremely desolate just thinking about my AOS and how paperwork stuff has been messing up since I moved here. The congressman's office has promised to look into it, but seeing as how things have gone lately I can't help but think that it's just going to get worse, like they'll accuse me of wasting their time or something. And I'm trying to get an internship in the meantime just to keep myself occupied, but sadly there's been no luck there.

It's getting very tiring to just sit at home, play video games or watch TV, wait for Bee to come home from his evening shift with dinner prepared and laundry done. Such is the price you pay for this process, but I can't help but feel incredibly frustrated at it. The prospect of looking forward to this for months is daunting. I'm trying to keep my chin up, but it's hard sometimes.

The worst part is that my family back home keeps pressing me about whether I've found a job yet, and I keep telling them, "My paperwork hasn't gone through yet." I've told them specifically that it could take a few months, and all they can do is ask about my job. It's honestly starting to become very stressful to talk to them even though I understand that they're just concerned.

I just feel horrible because I know I haven't really posted anything other than vents and I wish there was something good I can talk about... um, other than the fact that I found crackers from a Vancouver catering company at the grocery store the other day. Boy did that make me homesick. And boy were they also expensive ;)

I am sooooo sick of worrying about money. I don't have a lot of vacation time left so when the baby comes, I will be taking unpaid maternity leave. Ideally, I want to have at least 3-4 months salary saved for that time. Yes, we have lived on one salary before, but it SUCKS!!!! I didn't really start freaking until last night, paying bills. We had planned to go to Montreal for New Year's and had budgeted for it. Of course, we didn't expect that my hubby would be out of work for a week due to an injured back (of course without pay) and that I would not get paid either when my office was closed due to snow. So, we decided to cancel the Montreal trip. I was still feeling okay about money until I looked at the calendar, realized that hubby has 2 weeks coming up that he will only be working 3 days due to the holiday so less pay, his vehicle is making a funny noise and the mechanic estimates $200 - $300 to fix ... and then hubby told me he is worried about being laid off because apparently his company does not have a lot of jobs going on right now. Hubby is very good at what he does (which first made me think, oh his job is secure because his boss really likes his work and he is responsible unlike some of the other workers there) ... but then I thought of it from a business standpoint and realized that he makes a lot more than many of the other workers which may make him first to go. We do have some savings, but we shouldn't be touching them. And because he saw me worrying about money, hubby cancelled his upcoming chiropractor appt. .... which then made me feel so horrible and even more stressed, because if he doesn't fix his back, he will only be out of work more and I hate seeing him in pain.

Okay, done ranting!!!

BTW, I have to admit that the lovely pregnancy hormones tend to make everything worse .... so I normally would not be as stressed, but now it seems overwhelming.

I'm just glad to have the internet back after going a whole week (GASP) without it -- gotta love major ice storms! ;)

Awww Nini, please don't get too down. I agree with Kritkit...your paperwork will be here soon enough, and then you'll be wishing you had more time on your hands. This is the time of year as well, when a lot of people are not hiring. Relax and enjoy the season. Family, they always have good intentions eh? You have to be clear with them about what you can and can't do. Let them know that you'll let THEM know when you get your paperwork to start work, and that in the meantime, you know they're well meaning, but it does get you down. They'll feel badly for like...2 seconds! Then they'll be more attentive to what they say in the future.

Big Hugs!

Cassie....... we missed you! Glad to see you're back up and running! Dang ice! :angry:

autumnchick....damn those hormones eh? I lived for so many years worrying about money. I'm sure that it will shorten my life by 10 years. Worrying and stressing so much is not good for baby either. Did your husband say he cancelled his appointment because of the cost? That's too bad if he did. His physical health is important if he's going to maintain his job. And getting laid off...you said he's a good worker, very skilled. He will probably have good recourse to find new work. Christmas is a tough time of year kiddo. Reflect on you guys finally being together, with a little one on the way. Life IS good.

Big Hugs to you too!

Gosh, how about a group hug everyone???

Carla (F)

carlahmsb4.gif

A hug orgy!

my favourite...mmmm...

I'm planning on doing one in Chicago as soon as I get there. (L) (L) (L)

Over & out, Spirit

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{GROUP HUG}}}}}}}}}}}}}}} :blush:

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

A hug orgy!

my favourite...mmmm...

I'm planning on doing one in Chicago as soon as I get there. (L)(L)(L)

OMG, I LOVED this video!!!!! I have tears rolling down my face. I'm such a girl.

:D

Over & out, Spirit

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

ok - that video had me smiling and laughing and crying! Thank you for sharing it - it was wonderful!!

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

I'm so happy to have posted it here.

It is quite old and I thought "everyone" would have seen it by now.

Good good.

Well, another vent:

I now know what it feels like to be a sardine:

I have ridden the Montreal Metro during this snow fisaco!

Just when you were absolutely certain that when the doors opened at the next stop, it would not be possible to squeeze a super model in; ten more people per door get in.

:blink:

FUN!!!

Over & out, Spirit

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.