bradcanuck

The Vent

4,952 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Im not sure--I didnt have a "real" job I was in the Cdn Air Force, lol, so not sure how the civy world operates. But to qualify for EI, one has to have a certain amount of insurable weeks, which I assume get translated into hours?? I'm in New York at the moment so dont have my ROE available to look at. On the EI website (google it) I'm sure on there it states on how many weeks (or hours) one must have to be able to qualify for EI. Dont just take their word on it, check into it on the website, (and on phone) as they do make mistakes!! As well ensure your ROE is correct. Hope it works out. Here is one site i quickly found, not sure if its worth much:

http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/en/ei/information/o...de_canada.shtml

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline
Im not sure--I didnt have a "real" job I was in the Cdn Air Force, lol, so not sure how the civy world operates. But to qualify for EI, one has to have a certain amount of insurable weeks, which I assume get translated into hours?? I'm in New York at the moment so dont have my ROE available to look at. On the EI website (google it) I'm sure on there it states on how many weeks (or hours) one must have to be able to qualify for EI. Dont just take their word on it, check into it on the website, (and on phone) as they do make mistakes!! As well ensure your ROE is correct. Hope it works out. Here is one site i quickly found, not sure if its worth much:

http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/en/ei/information/o...de_canada.shtml

Your insurable hours are stated on the roe, but if you dont have a copy you could do a rough guesstimate

Insurable hours / required Regional rate of unemployment Required number of hours of insurable employment in the last 52 weeks

0% to 6% 700 hours

6.1% to 7% 665 hours

7.1% to 8% 630 hours

8.1% to 9% 595 hours

9.1% to 10% 560 hours

10.1% to 11% 525 hours

11.1% to 12% 490 hours

12.1% to 13% 455 hours

13.1% and over 420 hours

Timeline

Im sure she has a ROE, she would have required one to send in for EI. I filed back in 2005 (and now inNew York chillin) so I'm not up to date what the rules are. Best of luck

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline
Im sure she has a ROE, she would have required one to send in for EI. I filed back in 2005 (and now inNew York chillin) so I'm not up to date what the rules are. Best of luck

Yeah, I meant if she had to send it in for her claim she might not have kept a copy :blink:

Timeline
I have a copy =)

so what am I looking for .........

box 15A on the left hand side - 'Total insurable hours according to chart on reverse'

Edited by trailmix

741 plus I am missing one ROE cuz they still haven't done it!!!!!!!!

but I filed paperwork with EI so they can start harassing them themselves

Edited by liz_legend 'n Ol
vj_sig-2-2_2.jpg

Timeline

I'm uncertain on the rules, but will EI go after them for the ROE??? I really don't know? I would think they would just say its up to you?? I do know that ur company is suppose to get ur ROE to you in such a time period. No clue onwho to contact if they do not. but I would keep on top of that and be very pro active!! Suppose one could contact ur member of parliament in ur last riding in Canada!! Best of luck

I'd definitely give the employer a call about that ROE. That's what I had to do for my missing ROE - they kept brushing me off, but finally I got a hold of payroll and they said they'd send it to me the next day.

Nini - Vancouver BC, Canada (she's the one who does the forum thing)

Bee - Devon PA, USA (he's the one who gave her the shiny ring)

Getting our sanity tested by bureaucracy since 2007.

Here we go again...

Removal of conditions @ VSC

9/4/2010 - sent!

9/14/2010 - NOA

I talked to EI about it.. they recommended me continue my harrasment of my ex-employers but also to file a "Request for ROE" with them and they can start from their end with any copies of pay stubs I have..

It's been 2.5 months since I told my ex-employers that I need my ROE (6 wks of notice, plus a months since I've moved).

They're a family business so there isn't a "payroll dept"..

pissing me off.

I've given them self-addressed & stamped envelopes with my US address on it and have been calling every 2 weeks. My mom even stopped by the place to push them a little....

vj_sig-2-2_2.jpg

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
hmm, umm, no. I hope that isn't the pic they use in the tourist literature.

Hey, we are human! Even IR5 is.

U SURE????????????????????????? :devil:

I don't care what you say, you're still my favourite sister. :lol::lol::lol:

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

Filed: Timeline
cuz sometimes it makes me sad that there's no one here... just VJ.. and it makes you miss humans more... =(

I don't know.. I think I'm just moody today

I'm sorry you were sad Liz. I find that coming to the Canada Forum on VJ helps a lot when I get like that. Are things better for you now? ((((((((BIG HUGS))))))))

iagree.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm sorry.. but some people's "ideas" about humor in Off Topics is disgusting.. As someone who survived abuse, the posts that some find "funny" are horrific and violent. Makes me wonder what kind of people some posters are at home (and fear for their spouses). I think what you find funny defines what kind of person you are... Sad indeed.

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
I'm sorry.. but some people's "ideas" about humor in Off Topics is disgusting.. As someone who survived abuse, the posts that some find "funny" are horrific and violent. Makes me wonder what kind of people some posters are at home (and fear for their spouses). I think what you find funny defines what kind of person you are... Sad indeed.

I think that there's nothing funny about abuse. Anyone who finds such a topic amusing suffers from mental defect. I don't venture to the Off Topics forum for the simple reason that I don't wish to waste my day excoriating people for they're inhumanity. It's not worth getting my blood pressure up over this nonsense.

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.