bradcanuck

The Vent

4,952 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Ok, I haven't posted on here in awhile and I've got more to vent about. My mom is trying to send me a pkg from Canada here through UPS. Well we're having a hell of a time getting this pkg to just leave Canada. All of a sudden, UPS and apparently other courier companies are required by US Customs to get proof that the person your sending the things too lives in the USA. This includes xmas gifts, even if they are valued under $100 and not having to pay any duty fees.

#######?? I sent my mom a copy of my marriage license and now 3 days after she sends it, they also want copies of mine and my sons visas and our passports. I dont feel comfortable just giving someone my personal info. Its supposed to only be seen by their customs dept, but yet, they need to attach my personal info into the outside of the box. This makes me really uncomfortable and I dont know what else to do with these people. I tried calling them and asking them about all this and they try telling me they've never heard of this policy.

My mom went right to the UPS store, so its not like she just went to some store to ship it. Has anyone heard of this? I called Purolator as well and they are the only one that has heard of this new policy with US Customs. Its stupid if you ask me.

Mary

Yeah that sounds strange indeed.. I had UPS USA tell me that they couldn't ship to a hotel address because of 9/11?? HUH??? CRAZY

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I haven't posted on here in awhile and I've got more to vent about. My mom is trying to send me a pkg from Canada here through UPS. Well we're having a hell of a time getting this pkg to just leave Canada. All of a sudden, UPS and apparently other courier companies are required by US Customs to get proof that the person your sending the things too lives in the USA. This includes xmas gifts, even if they are valued under $100 and not having to pay any duty fees.

#######?? I sent my mom a copy of my marriage license and now 3 days after she sends it, they also want copies of mine and my sons visas and our passports. I dont feel comfortable just giving someone my personal info. Its supposed to only be seen by their customs dept, but yet, they need to attach my personal info into the outside of the box. This makes me really uncomfortable and I dont know what else to do with these people. I tried calling them and asking them about all this and they try telling me they've never heard of this policy.

My mom went right to the UPS store, so its not like she just went to some store to ship it. Has anyone heard of this? I called Purolator as well and they are the only one that has heard of this new policy with US Customs. Its stupid if you ask me.

Mary

Incredible!

What would happen if she simply went to Canada Post?

I had mailed large boxes earlier this year to the U.S. without a problem.

SpiritAlight edits due to extreme lack of typing abilities. :)

You will do foolish things.

Do them with enthusiasm!!

Don't just do something. Sit there.

K1: Flew to the U.S. of A. – January 9th, 2008 (HELLO CHI-TOWN!!! I'm here.)

Tied the knot (legal ceremony, part one) – January 26th, 2008 (kinda spontaneous)

AOS: Mailed V-Day; received February 15th, 2007 – phew!

I-485 application transferred to CSC – March 12th, 2008

Travel/Work approval notices via email – April 23rd, 2008

Green card/residency card: email notice of approval – August 28th, 2008 yippeeeee!!!

Funny-looking card arrives – September 6th, 2008 :)

Mailed request to remove conditions – July 7, 2010

Landed permanent resident approved – August 23rd, 2010

Second funny looking card arrives – August 31st, 2010

Over & out, Spirit

I like being forthcoming.

So here goes.

I asked my sweetie last night if he considers himself a feminist.

(Remember I introduced this concept to him earlier this year.)

He squirmed.

Said he totally believes in women's right etc etc...blah blah blah.

And I know he does.

I should try this with my fiance. I'm guessing he would react similarly.

K1

10/02/2007 ~ Sent I-129F to CSC

2/27/2008 ~ NOA2!!! (148 days)

5/27/2008 ~ Interview --- APPROVED!!

5/28/2008 ~ Visa in hand (239 days)

7/17/2008 ~ POE Portal, North Dakota

7/26/2008 ~ Marriage

AOS

8/26/2008 ~ Sent AOS/AP/EAD to Chicago lockbox

9/18/2008 ~ Biometrics in St Louis

9/22/2008 ~ Transferred to CSC

11/05/2008 ~ AP/EAD approved (71 days)

1/20/2009 ~ AOS approved!!! (147 days)

1/29/2009 ~ 2-year GC arrived (156 days)

Removing Conditions

11/18/2010 ~ Sent I-751 to CSC

11/19/2010 ~ I-751 delivered to CSC

11/19/2010 ~ NOA1

12/10/2010 ~ Received biometrics letter

12/21/2010 ~ Biometrics in St Louis

12/29/2010 ~ Touch

1/04/2011 ~ Case status finally available online

2/16/2011 ~ Approved!! (89 days)

2/22/2011 ~ 10-year GC arrived (95 days)

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Mary

UPS has always caused me nothing but grief from both sides of the border. DO NOT GIVE OUT YOUR PERSONAL INFO. Ship via Canada Post, I just received a package from the States after 10 business days and that was using first-class mail. I've never had a problem sending stuff to the US and I used to trade tropical plants in an earlier life. I don't know what you can do at this stage, you've paid and they've got your stuff. :crying:

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

Timeline
Len is younger than me. How can she be superannuated, dammmmmmiiiiiitttt???

Len was born in a leap year and only celebrates her birthday every four years so that makes her 36 x 4 = 144 years old. (*looks around to see if anyone buys his explanation* :lol: )

IR5

Timeline
Bahaha!!!

You guys are way too much fun. Either that or my social life is really pathetic ;)

We're here for a good time, not a long time.... :lol:

IR5

Well I emailed the woman at UPS and heard back from her. She said she only needs a copy of the stamp that Homeland Security put on our visas, plus a copy of our Canadian passports. She said they need it to validate that I'm living here in the USA. That still doesn't make sense to me. She doesnt want a copy of our AMERICAN visas, just the stamp. Sounds fishy to me. She left a 905 long distance # to call her. I'm not spending money to talk to her. My mom paid them already and they have the pkg. She also said in her email that if my mom didn't put "personal items" on the customs form, then we wouldnt be having this problem. Well why not just send the pkg back to my mom, give a refund, let her take out the personal items, then re-send it? Makes more sense that way. My mom already paid them over $100 for a 54 lb box. What more do they want?

Mary

Here's my K-1 Timeline:

October 2006 - I-129F sent

10/24/2007 - INTERVIEW DATE!!!!!....APPROVED!!

10/30/2007 - Visa in hand!

AOS Timeline:

1/30/08 - Sent AOS pkg Priority Mail with USPS

3/12/08 - Biometrics taken

3/29/08 - EAD and AP in hand for me and my son

5/21/08 - Email-GC on its way!...RFE for my son's application

5/27/08 - GC arrives!!!

7/02/08 - Sons GC arrives!!!

ROC TIMELINE

3/23/10 - ROC sent!

3/29/10 - NOA1

4/22/10 - Biometrics Appt for me and my son

6/30/10 - Email saying card production ordered for me and my son

7/6/10 - Letter in the mail saying cards will arrive within 60 days

7/10/10 - Both cards received!

I'm in no way defending UPS. Over the years that Gene and I were dating, we had nothing but problems with them, and for that reason we will never use them again. But when I read your last posting I was wondering...

I remember when I posted about sending my things down to the USA when I was moving and I remember Reba stating that your articles can't come down before you do. As well, something about copying your I-94 or something on the box etc. I did look this up, and it was right. I know you've already immigrated, but I seem to remember that when you mail things, either way, you are supposed to put down gifts. If not, they think it's your personal belongings, and 1) they can't preceed you to

the USA, 2) you have to have been inspected already.

This might not have anything to do with your package, I'm just wondering if they think it's "goods", that you're having brought down, now that you've immigrated, and somehow, somewhere, it's true...you do have to have copies of your paperwork given to them.

You could maybe photocopy the stamp, or scan it, and send it to them, without revealing other information about you?

If you're really not comfortable about this, and the package hasn't left their office, I'd just get the package back, get my money back...have it listed as "gifts", and resend it.

Carla (F)

I'm in no way defending UPS. Over the years that Gene and I were dating, we had nothing but problems with them, and for that reason we will never use them again. But when I read your last posting I was wondering...

I remember when I posted about sending my things down to the USA when I was moving and I remember Reba stating that your articles can't come down before you do. As well, something about copying your I-94 or something on the box etc. I did look this up, and it was right. I know you've already immigrated, but I seem to remember that when you mail things, either way, you are supposed to put down gifts. If not, they think it's your personal belongings, and 1) they can't preceed you to

the USA, 2) you have to have been inspected already.

This might not have anything to do with your package, I'm just wondering if they think it's "goods", that you're having brought down, now that you've immigrated, and somehow, somewhere, it's true...you do have to have copies of your paperwork given to them.

You could maybe photocopy the stamp, or scan it, and send it to them, without revealing other information about you?

If you're really not comfortable about this, and the package hasn't left their office, I'd just get the package back, get my money back...have it listed as "gifts", and resend it.

Carla (F)

carlahmsb4.gif

I just got off the phone with this lady and she said the whole reason for all this ####### is cause of the "personal items" listed inside the box. If it wasn't listed as personal items, then theres no problem. I asked if this is a new policy and she said no. It started shortly after 9/11. She said if I don't feel comfortable sending her the information, that I can fax it over to US Customs, but that it'll take longer for the pkg to get here. She assured me that whatever info I send her, will be uploaded into their customs computer and there is nothing on the outside or inside of the box that has any of my personal info. Everything is in a bar code on the outside of the box that customs scans, then the box goes on its way to me. The last 3 days have been really crappy and this just tops it all off. Hopefully things will get better and I wont be so stressed by the time Christmas gets here.

Mary

Here's my K-1 Timeline:

October 2006 - I-129F sent

10/24/2007 - INTERVIEW DATE!!!!!....APPROVED!!

10/30/2007 - Visa in hand!

AOS Timeline:

1/30/08 - Sent AOS pkg Priority Mail with USPS

3/12/08 - Biometrics taken

3/29/08 - EAD and AP in hand for me and my son

5/21/08 - Email-GC on its way!...RFE for my son's application

5/27/08 - GC arrives!!!

7/02/08 - Sons GC arrives!!!

ROC TIMELINE

3/23/10 - ROC sent!

3/29/10 - NOA1

4/22/10 - Biometrics Appt for me and my son

6/30/10 - Email saying card production ordered for me and my son

7/6/10 - Letter in the mail saying cards will arrive within 60 days

7/10/10 - Both cards received!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

My brother and I have both used UPS to ship items back and forth between the US and Canada. Even though they were gifts, we both wrote an itemized list of the contents including value and identified them as Christmas Gifts or Birthday Presents or whatever. Neither of us have had any problems in either direction. It is kind of rough to know that what you are getting or giving is listed for Customs Inspection, but that is the cost of cross border shipping.

Oh, I used USPS last year for Christmas - a 20 lb box cost me nearly $50 parcel post. USPS has done away with International Parcel Post and this year it would have cost over $100. I went the UPS route - the 20 pound box got there in less than a week for $26. Since the total value of goods per person was under the personal exemption limits there was no duty charged. I was impressed. I put everything in gift bags rather than wrapping paper so that they could be inspected easily without a problem. I think your mother may need to list the items out for example 'clothing, gift; perfume, gift; toyset, gift; book, gift, etc. or a list for each person's name titled 'Gifts' and then listing the items. That will probably resolve the difficulty.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Timeline

Len was born in a leap year and only celebrates her birthday every four years so that makes her 36 x 4 = 144 years old. (*looks around to see if anyone buys his explanation* :lol: )

NOPE, not buying it you lying piece of :ranting: .... Uh-oh :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: I apologize.... been spending way too much time reading in Off Topic :crying:

NOPE, not buying it you lying piece of :ranting: .... Uh-oh :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: I apologize.... been spending way too much time reading in Off Topic :crying:

That is great accounting math. Ha!

I (we) am (are) wanting to get married on the 29th of February.

An auspicious and lucky day....we'll see.

Edited by SpiritAlight

SpiritAlight edits due to extreme lack of typing abilities. :)

You will do foolish things.

Do them with enthusiasm!!

Don't just do something. Sit there.

K1: Flew to the U.S. of A. – January 9th, 2008 (HELLO CHI-TOWN!!! I'm here.)

Tied the knot (legal ceremony, part one) – January 26th, 2008 (kinda spontaneous)

AOS: Mailed V-Day; received February 15th, 2007 – phew!

I-485 application transferred to CSC – March 12th, 2008

Travel/Work approval notices via email – April 23rd, 2008

Green card/residency card: email notice of approval – August 28th, 2008 yippeeeee!!!

Funny-looking card arrives – September 6th, 2008 :)

Mailed request to remove conditions – July 7, 2010

Landed permanent resident approved – August 23rd, 2010

Second funny looking card arrives – August 31st, 2010

Over & out, Spirit

Timeline

NOPE, not buying it you lying piece of :ranting: .... Uh-oh :unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure: I apologize.... been spending way too much time reading in Off Topic :crying:

:lol::lol::lol::lol: Maybe I'll have better luck when I present it to congress. :lol:

Remember, prevaricators just lie there. :lol:

IR5

Timeline

NOPE, not buying it you lying piece of :ranting: .... Uh-oh :unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure: I apologize.... been spending way too much time reading in Off Topic :crying:

That is great accounting math. Ha!

I (we) am (are) wanting to get married on the 29th of February.

An auspicious and lucky day....we'll see.

I glad you like my creative accounting skills. :lol:Double congratulations are in order, an interview at Montreal (on the date of the winter solstice that too) and your upcoming nuptials. Being a bit of a heliophile myself, once you finish your interview at Montreal, things are only going to get brighter, since it is the shortest day of the year. :lol:

Edited by IR5FORMUMSIE

IR5

Timeline

This one's for Madam Comrade Leninovich.

a853_thumb.jpg

IR5

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.