bradcanuck

The Vent

4,952 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Last year social studies focused more on american history, human behaviors, black history and the presidents.

This year its kind of more or less the history of NJ... I guess that can be pretty bland. :P

All I know is I disliked Texas history. :unsure:

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Math, Reading and Science.

Funny thing is, he didn't improve in social studies and last year that was his A subject. Still has a C in that one. :(

He confuses me. I am taking him to cognitive behavior therapy starting next week though. I mean its more than just school I think. Talking to me is not going to help him. He's a pretty well behaved kid, but unusual, if you put a bunch of kids and adults in the same room, he'll gravitate towards the adults. Things like that make my MIL tell me that he's not normal either. I don't like being told my child is abnormal.

But whats normal? I have no idea.

I'm babbling.

Cognitive behavior therapy starts next week, and I am finally getting over my fear of allowing him to play hockey, he's going to play for a small team next month, just a small team, little travel and 3 months long. If he shows me he's dedicated I'll put him on a regular team next season.

But if he gets hurt I'll tell the world I told you so. :P jk

I don't think therapy will hurt at all, and may put your mind at ease. There is nothing "abnormal" or "normal" about children in my opinion. I was much the same as Ethan in school, and year after year my report cards had comments on them like "...Carla is an intelligent child but won't apply herself..." "...only does what she feels like..." :lol: Yep. That was me. My daughter was the same way as well. Children don't all fit into the patterns and molds that the school system wants them to.

I had a few girlfriends who's children graviated towards adults as well. Most of these kids were involved with adults at an early age, didn't seem to get on well with children their own age, or seemed distant when in a group of children. Basically, outside of school I never saw them participate in anything to do with other children. They didn't participate in extra cirricular activities, they lived in households with other adults, they had no cousins, siblings or neices and nephews during get-togethers to hang out with. My g/f's, right or wrong, had the kids hang out with the adults when we even got together, which I found really annoying. I love kids, but believed and believe there is a time and place for adults to have fun and discuss things, without kids around. Their kids would be up until midnight or later if we were there, and of course sleep in with the adults the next morning...I don't know if that was part of the equation with them or what.

My son never participated in hockey either. I'm not a big fan of "organized" sports, particularly hockey in Canada. He did however wrestle, take karate, and did play some recreational soccer and ball and take music lessons. I think getting him involved in extra cirricular activities in the evenings and weekends will make a big difference.

carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
So I just got back from Parent teacher interviews to discuss Ethan's latest report card.

He went from D's to B's. The teacher, the school and no one can understand it. She says she is still concerned about the fact that he doesn't focus though.

:blink:

Obviously he is focusing on something. ####### people??? The school psychologist asked Ethan why he did so well in the past two months and his response apparently was: ""Because I felt like it" She said that is abnormal. :(

WHATS WRONG WITH MY KID!??? :wacko:

Its driving me nuts.

He's smart. But he only shows his smarts when he feels like it. Stubborn I tells ya. Just like his mom. :P

Sprailenes,

I don't know your Son, but honestly, there is nothing - and I mean NOTHING wrong with him.

He is obviously not fitting in to the mold as Carla said and it works both ways, kids that make themselves known (the class clown, the kid who makes him or herself heard) and the quiet child.

My Nephew is very quiet, he does his work when he feels like it, if he feels like excelling - he does, when he doesn't, he doesn't, simple as that. My Son was the same in school (but not quiet). Like I mentioned to you before, I got dragged in to his elementary school for 'the conference'.

Try to take some consolation in the fact that he IS going to turn out ok, when he doesn't have a bunch of ####### adults judging him (I don't mean you :lol: ).

Sometimes, when you look at situations like this, you have to ask yourself, where is this all coming from? This applies to other stuff as well as school. Well, this is what these people DO, it is their career, possibly the main focus in their lives. The counsellor may have absolutely nothing better to do than to think about your Son's behaviour. The teacher may be just an old grouch and if your Son would just settle down and do his work - her life would be easier.

I guess what I am saying is, don't get caught up in their - drama.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yea Ethan plays with his friends on weekends, but if you were to put him in a room with kids and adults, he'd go stand with the adults.

I have always had him in a sport or activity solely because he is an only child and I wanted him to get involved with other children. But even then he'd joke around more with his teachers and coaches than he would with the other children. My MIL is always telling him to be a kid, and the thing is, he is a kid... just not a cookie cutter kid.

There are several issues that could be causing him to act the way he does in school. His behaviour is not out line though, the teacher said he just looks off into space when shes teaching. She wants him to look at her. After a lesson, she says he doesn't understand the work... but give him a test and he'll get an A or a B in it. So he does understand. But on his assignments he doesn't put forth a full effort, he rushes through homework, and don't even get me started on homework time. I have hired a tutor because its a battle I wish not to fight every single night. So he does well on tests but everything else he just goes halfway. Blah I don't know, I am no expert so I am just confused by all of it.

Anyways thank you all for just listening to me when it comes to this stuff. It really helps just to get it out. I go to school meetings much calmer. :lol:

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline

If it makes you feel any better, when i was in school I could get A's and B's on all my assignments, come test time I got D's...if I was lucky. It seems that my brain panicks when the word test is attached to a task and therefore I stress myself to the point of failure. No one is the same, as much as teachers would like us to be, and all of frusterate the teachers in different ways. I also found myself more comfortable with adults, but I've also been told I was very mature for my age which is probably part of the reason. I just couldn't identify with the other kids who hadn't grown up yet, didn't have time for them because I thought they were silly...and I turned out just fine! (though I think I'm reverting back to a kid because now I love tinkerbell and sometimes act like I'm 4 lol)

I'm sure he will be just fine :D

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~
Married: 2010-01-20

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)
I-751 Sent: 2015-05-22
NOA1 Notice Date: 2015-05-27
NOA1 Received: 2015-06-06
Biometrics Notice Date: 2015-06-27
Biometrics Date: 2015-07-17

Interview Notice Date: 2015-07-28

Interview Date: ​2015-09-01
Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

OMG so I am SO frustrated right now! I had been doing so good with my exercise until last week my back started to hurt. Not just a little bit, but a lot! So, knowing I had a doctor's appointment this week I just took it easy for a little while to make sure it wasn't anything serious. Well, as the days went by the pain got worse. Fast forward to the doctor's appointment today and the back pain is nothing more than my body saying "hey I'm not used to this! You used to be a lazy butt!" Part of the back pain, and the stomach pain that accompanies it though, is acid reflux disease! Well it frustrates me because I had been on medication for that for about 7 years and I was finally able to come off of it about a year and a half ago when I started taking good probiotics. I hate being on medication! So my heartburn is back and if I don't want to be on medication I'm going to have to change my diet a little bit. I already can't eat wheat, and now I've got to cut out dairy too! Oh, and my cholesterol was a little high, so bye bye egg yolks! Good lord, what is there left to eat?! Exercise makes heartburn worse, so does citrus, tomatoes, chocolate. ~sighs~ It just feels neverending. I guess one day when I'm a lot thinner I won't have to worry about this stuff! So, I had my last bowl of cottage cheese for awhile, and it was yummy, but painful. Time to take double the probiotics! :)

Okay, feeling a little bit better now.

October 2006- Met Taktyx playing the World of Warcraft

I-129F

September 26, 2007- I-129F Package sent by courier to CSC

September 28, 2007- Received at CSC

October 29, 2007- NOA1 hardcopy arrives!

February 5, 2008- NOA2!

April 23, 2008- Medical

April 22, 2008- Interview!

April 26, 2008- POE Edmonton

June 5, 2008- Legal wedding

October 11, 2008- Wedding ceremony with family

AOS

December 6, 2008- AOS package mailed

December 8, 2008- Package received

December 15, 2008- Check cashed! WOOHOO!

December 22, 2008- All 3 NOA1's received

January 5, 2009- I-485 transferred to CSC. Here's hoping for no interview!

January 14, 2009- Biometrics

February 23, 2009- EAD and AP received in the mail, dated Feb 14th.

April 23, 2009- Welcome to the United States Letter arrives. Card to follow.

June 1, 2009- GC received in mail. Approval date 04/09/09

Done with USCIS until 04/2011!

Timeline

Wow. At that point right there I would be like...bye bye excercise! I like food waaaaay too much to give stuff up lol.

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~
Married: 2010-01-20

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)
I-751 Sent: 2015-05-22
NOA1 Notice Date: 2015-05-27
NOA1 Received: 2015-06-06
Biometrics Notice Date: 2015-06-27
Biometrics Date: 2015-07-17

Interview Notice Date: 2015-07-28

Interview Date: ​2015-09-01
Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Timeline

I love food too, a LOT. But not enough to have diabetes, high cholesterol, and heart disease. SO, I'll give up the dairy for now and get my weight down and then we'll see! :)

I-129F

February 5, 2008- NOA2!

April 23, 2008- Medical

AOS

Timeline
I love food too, a LOT. But not enough to have diabetes, high cholesterol, and heart disease. SO, I'll give up the dairy for now and get my weight down and then we'll see! :)

Sorry to hear that ATeam. I have to thank you for the freezing tip from yesterday, I was hesitant to do so but I did after reading what you said. Anyway you were right swallowing them frozen was much easier, also the fishy problem is gone. Thank you again!

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Timeline

Hey ATeam, have you ever been tested for h.pylori bacteria? If not, you might want to be, it can cause the stomach problems your are talking about and can be easily treated with antibiotics.

Timeline
Hey ATeam, have you ever been tested for h.pylori bacteria? If not, you might want to be, it can cause the stomach problems your are talking about and can be easily treated with antibiotics.

:lol: I just got bloodwork done for that last week. Still waiting for the results. I'm hoping this is it. Cause I've been tested for nearly everything now. Last one fingers crossed.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm no longer going to the Off-Topic forum. Any topic, no matter which one, seems to be a lesson in frustration and futility. No one listens and no one ever changes their mind.

The worst part about OT is that some people -- and I won't be naming anyone in particular -- like to toss insults at those who disagree with them. Instead of debating the topic at hand, they debate the person. It seems to be a recurring theme.

I'm all for a good debate, but not when the topic derails into "you're a moron because you don't agree with me." :wacko:

Timeline
I'm no longer going to the Off-Topic forum. Any topic, no matter which one, seems to be a lesson in frustration and futility. No one listens and no one ever changes their mind.

The worst part about OT is that some people -- and I won't be naming anyone in particular -- like to toss insults at those who disagree with them. Instead of debating the topic at hand, they debate the person. It seems to be a recurring theme.

I'm all for a good debate, but not when the topic derails into "you're a moron because you don't agree with me." :wacko:

While I don't think that people usually change their minds by debate in this type of forum - I so agree with you that no one listens there. I believe that OT is populated (in general) by those that like to see their thoughts in print and those that agree with them.

If your opinion differs, there is never a discussion, they either ignore you or slam you.

That said, not every single thread in OT is that way, but the interesting/remotely intelligent ones are so few and far between it is not really worthwhile bothering with any of them.

Timeline

I don't either, many people there are rude, demeaning and ignorant. I just choose not to read such garbage, I don't need my blood pressure going up anymore than it is!

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Timeline

Hey Jill....no problem! I know that I had the same problem as you had, and I actually LIKE fish! :) I'm glad that it worked for you. If they're cold they're more palatable, at least in my opinion. That said, I keep all of my vitamins in the fridge now! Or freezer!

Hey Trailmix, no I've never been tested for that. I'll have to look it up. I guess the reason I never have is because once I got rid of the wheat in my diet, had control of my heartburn, and was less anxious, my stomach problems cleared up. For the most part actually, up until a few days ago, if I didn't eat wheat I was pretty good! There's a possible history of celiac's disease in my family as well as ulcers, and acid reflux. I guess that's why it never occurred to me that it would be anything else! Anyhow, thanks for the tip, I'll definitely look into it, especially if this doesn't go away with a tweak in my diet alone!

ETA: Remind me to actually read the link before I reply next time! :) That is very interesting although the doctor doesn't think I have an ulcer.

MrsCat-I hope they figure out what's going on because it is no fun to live with stomach pain all the time! ~hugs~

Edited by TheATeam

I-129F

February 5, 2008- NOA2!

April 23, 2008- Medical

AOS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.