bradcanuck

The Vent

4,952 posts in this topic

So...when you apply for citizenship, how long does that usually take to go through?

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
So...when you apply for citizenship, how long does that usually take to go through?

It doesn't seem to take long.. friend of mine got his in a matter of 3-4 months.. he was sworn in at Fenway Park.. :)

Edited by Emancipation

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Timeline

It doesn't seem to take long.. friend of mine got his in a matter of 3-4 months.. he was sworn in at Fenway Park.. :)

Flames, how long did it take you?

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Flames, how long did it take you?

I applied at end of May 2008, Biometrics were originally scheduled for end of June, but was away in Canada and RI, did them early July. Interview was on October 15 2008. And if there wasn't a mysterious "extra file" on my case i would have had the oath the same day (Fairfax VA office) So could have taken me as little as 5 months. I ended up having the Oath ceremony Mid Dec. so 7 months from start to finish! I won't say how it feels to be a USA citizen, as I'm sure i would tick off a few people,lol I consider myself 100% Canuck,simple as that,lol

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

I'm with krikit - it isnt that I am really keen on US citizenship, I just want to be out of this nightmare of feeling some obscure government official has this hold over my head and can tell me I can't stay here anymore. I want it over and done with. Unfortunately, Atlanta is taking about 9 months for citizenship applications :-(,

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline
:( I will forever have that feeling. If I apply for US Citizenship then I lose my German citizenship because I can't have more than one other citizenship with it, and I'm lucky enough to have the Canadian one because of birth...my mom is in the same boat here. She would have to apply for permission before applying for her Canadian citizenship (no permission = auto loss) and they could tell her no. So perminant residents we will stay....*sigh* Edited by Danu

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~
Married: 2010-01-20

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)
I-751 Sent: 2015-05-22
NOA1 Notice Date: 2015-05-27
NOA1 Received: 2015-06-06
Biometrics Notice Date: 2015-06-27
Biometrics Date: 2015-07-17

Interview Notice Date: 2015-07-28

Interview Date: ​2015-09-01
Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

My wife thinks I was crazy for purchasing Sennheiser HD590 headphones in 2001 for $250 or so.

I don't think it was nuts at all! These headphones have superior audio quality and are pretty damn tough. In addition, when looking at the cost/year ratio, I've had these headphones for around eight years. That means I've spent $31.25 per year. Considering it's in perfect condition and sound the same as it did when it was brand new, I'd say that was a good investment. It beats buying crappy headphones every year or so. ;)

Timeline
My wife thinks I was crazy for purchasing Sennheiser HD590 headphones in 2001 for $250 or so.

I don't think it was nuts at all! These headphones have superior audio quality and are pretty damn tough. In addition, when looking at the cost/year ratio, I've had these headphones for around eight years. That means I've spent $31.25 per year. Considering it's in perfect condition and sound the same as it did when it was brand new, I'd say that was a good investment. It beats buying crappy headphones every year or so. ;)

mmmmmm sennheiser... there is nothing better...

I understand your logic.. completely!

AOS:

Removal of Conditions:

Naturalization

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't know anything about headphones, but at least you still have them and aren't replacing them every year. Cause I'd have an issue with that.

Timeline

Okay so remember a few weeks ago I told you guys about the wedding saga with my future bridezilla sister in law? Well I have even more of a rant here about her so here it goes. Sorry for this guys, I have to get it out!

She writes this 25 Random Things about her on Facebook and one of the 25 things is "I can't wait for marriage and my new job.."

She doesn't even work, is still in school and is not yet looking for a job. She is the onyl person I've ever met in my life that talks about a job like she already has it.

Example: She said that she wanted to have a summer wedding because she had to spend most of August planning her classroom. She doesn't have a teacher's job, has not applied for one yet AND is not even 100% qualified to be a teacher until May.

Well her sister is even crazier then her. She has been engaged to the same guy 3 times and they keep getting back together and breaking up. I know this because she updates me every day on Facebook about her break up.

Example: "L is having a hard day today...", "L wishes she could turn back the clock"

Why and how do people do that? She said she still wants to marry him. Um, so if you get married are you going to separate every 3 months? I don't understand why people even CONSIDER getting married if they can't get along.

I was watching Dr. Phil the other day because I was bored to tears and it was about newlyweds. I don't think people realize how hard marriage can really be. This new wife had practically taken away ANY freedom her husband ever had and everything he ever loved. He had to come straight home after work to spend time with her, no longer had any friends. He moved to the city from the country for her and she made him sell his horses. He wasn't allowed to go to the gym without her.

She was sitting pretty saying , "I don't see what is wrong with wanting to spend time with my husband..."

Uh...because you've got him in a headlock and the guy is at his wits end?

I felt like I was looking at my brother in law on tv in the next couple of years. No friends, monopolized by his wife and just works to support her.

OKAY! I'm done. 1-2-3 WOOOOSSSHHHH. (my french teacher in highschool used to do that with us to get all our frustrations out)

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Timeline
Okay so remember a few weeks ago I told you guys about the wedding saga with my future bridezilla sister in law? Well I have even more of a rant here about her so here it goes. Sorry for this guys, I have to get it out!

She writes this 25 Random Things about her on Facebook and one of the 25 things is "I can't wait for marriage and my new job.."

:lol: I've been reading my hubby's ex's 25 random things (don't ask but let it be said SHE sent the friend request).. and I've been doing this :rolleyes:

AOS:

Removal of Conditions:

Naturalization

Timeline

:lol: I've been reading my hubby's ex's 25 random things (don't ask but let it be said SHE sent the friend request).. and I've been doing this :rolleyes:

:lol: I did it on Wednesday because I was muchos bordo (I think I need Dora) at home because of the snow/ice storm. I kept mine pretty light and realistic. I tried to make it things people really don't know about me to some extent not like overly-dramatic stuff about my life.

She actually put, "I'm afraid to move away from my family because they are everything to me.."

Uh, you are 25 years old, have never been out of the house before and you will be moving from south jersey to..central jersey...and you are scared? :lol:

Maybe she is just scared Daddy won't pay for everything any more... :lol:

My eyes filled with grit

Timeline

:lol: I did it on Wednesday because I was muchos bordo (I think I need Dora) at home because of the snow/ice storm. I kept mine pretty light and realistic. I tried to make it things people really don't know about me to some extent not like overly-dramatic stuff about my life.

She actually put, "I'm afraid to move away from my family because they are everything to me.."

Uh, you are 25 years old, have never been out of the house before and you will be moving from south jersey to..central jersey...and you are scared? :lol:

Maybe she is just scared Daddy won't pay for everything any more... :lol:

:rofl: oh that IS funny...

AOS:

Removal of Conditions:

Naturalization

Timeline

literally an hour away...

I'm not judging her because I've moved so far away from home or anything but as someone who has never left their own house, wouldn't you be thrilled to get out? She often complains about living at home and how stressful it can be.

What do I know..I left for university at 18 far away and never really came back after that...at least never for more than a few months.

My eyes filled with grit

Timeline

I watched that episode too. The lady with the blonde hair and the baby right? I couldn't believe how much they would argue in front of their kids. I always wait until ethan goes to bed to pull out the boxing gloves... KIDDING. :P

I don't know, I think about girls like that and then I wonder what would happen if Ethan met a woman like that and I get really scared. :(

Donne moi une poptart!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.