The Vent

4,952 posts in this topic

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Aparently I've been ranting about Paul Blart: Mall Cop and Larry the Cable Guy at work too much. A woman I work with came up and asked me "What would you rather watch, Sex In The City, or Larry The Cable Guy?". My head almost wants to explode at having to make that sort of decision. :hehe:

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Deadpool...don't mind me saying this but your dad sounds like a d-bag...you get me? :lol:

I wouldn't say something usually so rude about someones family member but man..he just sounds like such an a-hole.

I don't mind at all and he is an a-hole. Fortunately, I won't have to come back anytime soon and if I can avoid it, I won't visit again.

I am sorry that you Dad is like that. It is tough on you when you are trying to be the better person. Good for you, though, for holding your own even though you had to yell to get him to listen. He sounds like one of those doctors who suffer from the "Doctor God" syndrome - tough on everyone around them, indeed.

You nailed it. Although I think he'd deify himself even if he weren't a physician.

He really pissed me off last night, too. My wife and I are working hard to pack stuff away and have it shipped up to Canada. We took a break at night to watch a movie. My dad sees us and asks, "Do you have everything packed?" His tone suggested that he wasn't merely asking a question, but insinuating that my wife and I should "get off our a$$es and do more work." I told him we're taking a well-deserved break.

He also expects us to bring any old clothing or items to United Way. We have a lot of work to do, plus we've made arrangements with FedEx and the auto shippers. That apparently doesn't matter, since we need to take the donations over (and make several trips if necessary). Did I mention he's getting the tax credit? I refused and told him if he wants it done, he can do it.

We can't complain about any of this, as well. He'll just rant on and on about how tough his day was. The funny thing is he doesn't get up until 9AM, so maybe if he woke up earlier, he wouldn't have to work so late. Maybe he'd also get up earlier if he didn't spend all night snacking, watching TV and messing around on the computer playing Freecell.

My wife made dinner last night, too. In my opinion, she makes excellent meals. My dad said the food was "good, but needed some work." My dad wouldn't know how to cook if his life depended on it! He couldn't tell the difference between a stove and an oven -- I'm not exaggerating, either. I was about to launch a verbal war with him over that, but my wife gave me a look that said: "Leave it alone."

His kitchen is a complete mess. He doesn't cook, so he doesn't care. He makes his housekeeper or his pseudo-girlfriend do his grocery shopping since he can't be bothered. Well, when we're here, he expects us to do the grocery shopping and tells us we need to "clean up" the kitchen and do the dishes, the latter of which he leaves in the sink. He could put them in the dishwasher, but he won't.

I forget what my dad wanted, but he yelled at me to get whatever it was. I didn't hear him since I was in the kitchen and he was in his bedroom with the door shut. He then stormed into the kitchen and asked me why I didn't get it. I told him I hadn't heard him. He then told me to get and bring it to his bedroom. I have a broken toe. I can barely walk right now. I told him about that and he said, "So it hurts a little. Big deal. Now move it!" My wife brought the item to him.

And finally... he's still arguing with me about how an immigration lawyer would've "sped up my process." My immigration to Canada took a total of six months. I've told him about how long it takes to immigrate to the U.S. and he tells me "that's impossible" and that I'm wrong.

My brother, who's a law student, has told him (and me) that unless your case is highly unusual or you're careless when filling out forms, an immigration lawyer isn't of much use. My brother went on to say that in some cases, a lawyer might actually slow the entire process down.

My dad argued with him, of course. Somehow he thinks he knows more about the immigration process than I do and knows more about law than my brother. Amazing, isn't it? :wacko:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

What does your wife think about your dad?

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Timeline
Deadpool...don't mind me saying this but your dad sounds like a d-bag...you get me? :lol:

I wouldn't say something usually so rude about someones family member but man..he just sounds like such an a-hole.

I don't mind at all and he is an a-hole. Fortunately, I won't have to come back anytime soon and if I can avoid it, I won't visit again.

I am sorry that you Dad is like that. It is tough on you when you are trying to be the better person. Good for you, though, for holding your own even though you had to yell to get him to listen. He sounds like one of those doctors who suffer from the "Doctor God" syndrome - tough on everyone around them, indeed.

You nailed it. Although I think he'd deify himself even if he weren't a physician.

He really pissed me off last night, too. My wife and I are working hard to pack stuff away and have it shipped up to Canada. We took a break at night to watch a movie. My dad sees us and asks, "Do you have everything packed?" His tone suggested that he wasn't merely asking a question, but insinuating that my wife and I should "get off our a$es and do more work." I told him we're taking a well-deserved break.

He also expects us to bring any old clothing or items to United Way. We have a lot of work to do, plus we've made arrangements with FedEx and the auto shippers. That apparently doesn't matter, since we need to take the donations over (and make several trips if necessary). Did I mention he's getting the tax credit? I refused and told him if he wants it done, he can do it.

We can't complain about any of this, as well. He'll just rant on and on about how tough his day was. The funny thing is he doesn't get up until 9AM, so maybe if he woke up earlier, he wouldn't have to work so late. Maybe he'd also get up earlier if he didn't spend all night snacking, watching TV and messing around on the computer playing Freecell.

My wife made dinner last night, too. In my opinion, she makes excellent meals. My dad said the food was "good, but needed some work." My dad wouldn't know how to cook if his life depended on it! He couldn't tell the difference between a stove and an oven -- I'm not exaggerating, either. I was about to launch a verbal war with him over that, but my wife gave me a look that said: "Leave it alone."

His kitchen is a complete mess. He doesn't cook, so he doesn't care. He makes his housekeeper or his pseudo-girlfriend do his grocery shopping since he can't be bothered. Well, when we're here, he expects us to do the grocery shopping and tells us we need to "clean up" the kitchen and do the dishes, the latter of which he leaves in the sink. He could put them in the dishwasher, but he won't.

I forget what my dad wanted, but he yelled at me to get whatever it was. I didn't hear him since I was in the kitchen and he was in his bedroom with the door shut. He then stormed into the kitchen and asked me why I didn't get it. I told him I hadn't heard him. He then told me to get and bring it to his bedroom. I have a broken toe. I can barely walk right now. I told him about that and he said, "So it hurts a little. Big deal. Now move it!" My wife brought the item to him.

And finally... he's still arguing with me about how an immigration lawyer would've "sped up my process." My immigration to Canada took a total of six months. I've told him about how long it takes to immigrate to the U.S. and he tells me "that's impossible" and that I'm wrong.

My brother, who's a law student, has told him (and me) that unless your case is highly unusual or you're careless when filling out forms, an immigration lawyer isn't of much use. My brother went on to say that in some cases, a lawyer might actually slow the entire process down.

My dad argued with him, of course. Somehow he thinks he knows more about the immigration process than I do and knows more about law than my brother. Amazing, isn't it? :wacko:

Yeah, sometimes there isn't anything else you can do in those circumstances. He isn't going to change, but it is still tough all around.

You are more than welcome to use my US immigration process as a example to compare to yours. We started our visa journey in June 2003 and I am still not as far along in my US immigration as you are in your Canadian immigration process. So what is it, like 6 months vs going on 6 years to get to the same stage - permission to live permanently in the respective country. And no, we have had no problems or issues or RFEs or anything - it is just the complexity and the ludicrous processing times for the US immigration system at work.

Hang in there - you'll be on your way home soon.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

Deadpool.. are you SURE you only want to move to Canada.. I'm sure on days like you are describing it's not quite far enough away from him.. :wacko:

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Timeline

You poor thing. My parents get on my nerves every once and awhile but they aren't anywhere as bad as that. I can't believe he would come to the kitchen to tell you to take him something....First off...hes already in the damn kitchen...get it yourself! Second, you have a broken toe? If you have crutches, beat him with one for me :devil::whistle:

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~
Married: 2010-01-20

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)
I-751 Sent: 2015-05-22
NOA1 Notice Date: 2015-05-27
NOA1 Received: 2015-06-06
Biometrics Notice Date: 2015-06-27
Biometrics Date: 2015-07-17

Interview Notice Date: 2015-07-28

Interview Date: ​2015-09-01
Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Timeline

Ugh I was looking at my husbands tumblr blog and noticed he had a vcard, which you could download into your address book.... I figured it was just his email but NO, its our ENTIRE FREAKING HOME ADDRESS WITH PHONE NUMBER!!!

YAY! Hey freaks, come one, come all! Come to our houses and KILL US! YAY!

His tumblr blog links to his facebook, and links to his website which shows pictures of my son and myself, and us... and I dunno I thought it was a well known web-fact to not freely give out this information. Its not like his tumblr blog is private either, its out there for ALL to see. Who knows how long this has been up. So I ask him to take it down and he gets all upset and tells me I am overreacting.

I really don't think I am... :blink:

Donne moi une poptart!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Ugh I was looking at my husbands tumblr blog and noticed he had a vcard, which you could download into your address book.... I figured it was just his email but NO, its our ENTIRE FREAKING HOME ADDRESS WITH PHONE NUMBER!!!

YAY! Hey freaks, come one, come all! Come to our houses and KILL US! YAY!

His tumblr blog links to his facebook, and links to his website which shows pictures of my son and myself, and us... and I dunno I thought it was a well known web-fact to not freely give out this information. Its not like his tumblr blog is private either, its out there for ALL to see. Who knows how long this has been up. So I ask him to take it down and he gets all upset and tells me I am overreacting.

I really don't think I am... :blink:

Yeah, I don't think that's kosher either - i'm not particularily 'web paranoid' - but I wouldn't like my stuff posted on a public forum either.

Speaking of which, there is a woman here on VJ who did a video of how she compiled her K1 package. It included payslips and something else with their home address on it - I can't remember.

So I thought, that might be cool, so I watched the video, I easily made out his full name, address and from the paystufb - the city where he worked, I'm sure anyone could have read the whole paystub as well if they were so inclined. (I did let her know btw)

Timeline

Yea. He took it down but I hate being told I am overreacting when I feel I have a valid point... and its rare I actually feel I have a valid point. :lol:

I just don't like having that much information out there.

Donne moi une poptart!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

and people ask why I dont post my picture,lol Too many freaks out there.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.