bradcanuck

The Vent

4,952 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
Well I have just talked to an Alternative school in Philadelphia. Thats an option and we'll have to move but if thats what I have to do to give my son an equal opportunity in life then I will do it.

In my opinion, some times that is what has to happen. I know in Jersey, people literally will pay 25K in property taxes a year in order to send their kid to a decent public school.

Also Krikit, you don't have to sign off parental rights. Some towns must be different than others. My father in law is a school board administrator in a bad town with a bad school. He has told me that people from Newark, a city where schools are even worse and dangerous, will do anything to get their kid to his town and put them in school there.

Pretending you live somewhere isn't that hard. I was living with my husband and getting bills at his address addressed to me...fooling the system really isn't that difficult.

No, they're the same. You're supposed to live and be paying taxes in the school district that your child attends school. I can agree that some will lie (aka break the law) to gain access to a better education for their child/children but, legally, your child must reside in that area and the adult in that home must be their legal guardian.

iagree.gif

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
No, they're the same. You're supposed to live and be paying taxes in the school district that your child attends school. I can agree that some will lie (aka break the law) to gain access to a better education for their child/children but, legally, your child must reside in that area and the adult in that home must be their legal guardian.

Understandable. But if you were living in a town where your son or daughter was at risk of getting shot, I think you'd try to get them into another district asap if you were unable to move. It's not about a better education, it's about being safe even going to school.

I know kids who technically live with their "aunt" and maybe you are right, that they become their legal guardian. I just wouldn't be so quick to judge those who are trying to do what is best by their kids. In this state it is not like living in most. If you don't make a lot of money, chances are your school district is pretty bad. Most people can't afford to live in a decent town with okay schools. It's tricky.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Timeline

My sons school is a "blue ribbon" school.

I guess blue ribbon only caters to the cookie cutter kids. :P

Its weird, we're thinking of moving to Philly and leaving the "safe zone" so that he will have a better opportunity with his education.

But to get the Alternative learning programs you have to go where there is a demand and cities tend to have a high demand for these schools.

Donne moi une poptart!

Filed: Timeline
I know kids who technically live with their "aunt" and maybe you are right, that they become their legal guardian. I just wouldn't be so quick to judge those who are trying to do what is best by their kids. In this state it is not like living in most. If you don't make a lot of money, chances are your school district is pretty bad. Most people can't afford to live in a decent town with okay schools. It's tricky.

I'm going to assume you are not insinuating that I have judged anyone. ;)

iagree.gif

Timeline

No, I'm not....it just appeared you were stringent on it being about breaking the law and I don't think it's as black and white as that. That's all.

My eyes filled with grit

Timeline
Yea equal opportunity in education rises but so does the risk of being shot! :lol:

Joking of course. :P Sorta.

:lol: Philly's not so bad, just don't live in the GHETTT-OOO!! We live in the 'burbs, it's called Huntingdon Valley. Really nice and safe neighborhood, lots of kids around! Most everyone here commutes into the city.

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Vent: Yesterday my elderly grandfather was somehow scammed into giving someone $5,000 cash. I don't want to go into specifics, but it just really makes me so angry that people get away with this ####.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Timeline
Vent: Yesterday my elderly grandfather was somehow scammed into giving someone $5,000 cash. I don't want to go into specifics, but it just really makes me so angry that people get away with this ####.

That's terrible!! It really angers me when people take advantage of the elderly. I took Gerontology in University and took a course on the law and elders, unfortunately it's really common.

Edited by JillA

K-1

AOS

ROC

Citizenship:

Timeline

So I bought the "TWIN DRAFT GUARD" from those TV commercials, it doesn't work at all!! GRRRR why do I always fall for "as seen on TV" #######? :bonk:

K-1

AOS

ROC

Citizenship:

Timeline
Yea equal opportunity in education rises but so does the risk of being shot! :lol:

Joking of course. :P Sorta.

:lol: Philly's not so bad, just don't live in the GHETTT-OOO!! We live in the 'burbs, it's called Huntingdon Valley. Really nice and safe neighborhood, lots of kids around! Most everyone here commutes into the city.

The problem with Philly is that its sporadic where one can live safely. Luckily my husband has been a NJ/Philly guy all his life so he knows the safe areas so I am not going in blindly.

I don't mind certain parts of Philly, some of it is beautiful. But most of it is just sad.

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline
The problem with Philly is that its sporadic where one can live safely. Luckily my husband has been a NJ/Philly guy all his life so he knows the safe areas so I am not going in blindly.

You honestly could be talking about our town.. literally.. one street.. perfectly fine to live on.. next street down, no way! We were given grids to look at houses in and told do NOT look at anything else.

IN our last town the REALTOR told us (and I quote) "this is the only apartment I would think about living in in this town, so this is the only one I'm going to show you". :blink: She was talking safety, and she'd lived in the town her whole life.

Edited by Emancipation

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
So I bought the "TWIN DRAFT GUARD" from those TV commercials, it doesn't work at all!! GRRRR why do I always fall for "as seen on TV" #######? :bonk:

i've seen that commercial too, it seemed too good to be true.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline

haha I saw that commercial as well and wondered if it worked...Now I know.. :lol:

Philly is like most areas of NJ and NYC...it just gets crazy where you can live VS where you can't. You have to pick through most of the areas with a fine tooth comb and hope for the best.

My eyes filled with grit

Timeline

You honestly could be talking about our town.. literally.. one street.. perfectly fine to live on.. next street down, no way! We were given grids to look at houses in and told do NOT look at anything else.

IN our last town the REALTOR told us (and I quote) "this is the only apartment I would think about living in in this town, so this is the only one I'm going to show you". :blink: She was talking safety, and she'd lived in the town her whole life.

Yea its like that in Jersey too kind of.. like theres Mount Holly, where I got my first job... baaad neighborhood! Willingboro, Camden etc all not nice areas. Then theres super nice areas like Moorestown where all the Eagles and Flyers live. Its just really black and white here.

I grew up in Regent Park... so I know what its like to live in a poor neighborhood but its nothing compared to what you'd find down here. Though my mother fought tooth and nail to get me out of that area and went to university for most of my childhood.

Donne moi une poptart!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

So I am thinking it doesn't fit correctly on your door??

That's the thing with that stuff - they use them in ideal conditions that suit the product. Bah!

draft1.jpg

Edited by trailmix

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.