bradcanuck

The Vent

4,952 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Well the home school thing was something i did my research with years ago when I went thru the ADD/ADHD thing with my oldest back in grade 2. SO when we started having probelms back in January before we even moved here I started to see what the requirements where for Arkansas and I found it was very easy to get them homeschooled. So when we the kids did started having probelms and the teachers just not caring about working with their IEP's I had enough and printed off the forms I needed and turned them in. Home schooling is not really hard or easy but it is working and the kids do get challenged. There is so many resources out there its crazy. There is 1500 families in my area alone that home school. If home schooling is something you have been thinking about do your research for your area to see what is need and see if you can easily get the books or cd programs you want. But follow your gut and your instinks with the schools and don't let anyone force you to get your son on meds. There are many ways to work with ADD?ADHD that don't require meds.

Now as for here and getting the kids tested they had no problems doing the testing and I was never told it would cost us a thing, but I did pull the kids out before it happened. I can't see why the school is giving you such a hard time with the reports you have from the Canadian doctors there is no reason for that #######.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Well the home school thing was something i did my research with years ago when I went thru the ADD/ADHD thing with my oldest back in grade 2. SO when we started having probelms back in January before we even moved here I started to see what the requirements where for Arkansas and I found it was very easy to get them homeschooled. So when we the kids did started having probelms and the teachers just not caring about working with their IEP's I had enough and printed off the forms I needed and turned them in. Home schooling is not really hard or easy but it is working and the kids do get challenged. There is so many resources out there its crazy. There is 1500 families in my area alone that home school. If home schooling is something you have been thinking about do your research for your area to see what is need and see if you can easily get the books or cd programs you want. But follow your gut and your instinks with the schools and don't let anyone force you to get your son on meds. There are many ways to work with ADD?ADHD that don't require meds.

Now as for here and getting the kids tested they had no problems doing the testing and I was never told it would cost us a thing, but I did pull the kids out before it happened. I can't see why the school is giving you such a hard time with the reports you have from the Canadian doctors there is no reason for that #######.

:blink:

Anyone noticing a pattern in this thread?

The thing is, when my Son was in elementary school, ADD was not a catch all for active kids - so there was never any suggestion to drug him or send him for evaluation or anything like that.

Teachers just dragged you in to a room to complain, you didn't actually have to drug them.

Edited by trailmix

Timeline

ADD was never big when I was going through school either. It's the new thing since the mid 90s it seems.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Timeline

Oh ya i wanted to add something about the schools getting more for kids who are special needs and yes Charles your mom was right they do but it doesnt mean the kids who have those problems see that extra money as in teachers aids and what not. Another thing I wanted to mention a few days before the schools here started we got 4 letters in the mail. It was from the Arkansas department of Education telling us the that school we have our kids enrolled at are failing the requirments that the state has mandated. Ya that made me mad. And we had no options of just changing them to another school.

Ya I noticed the catch all diagnosis that teachers like o make with ADD. A friend of mine who was having major problems with her son and teachers did all the testing all the doctors the teachers wanted cause they were determined that he was ADD and all the ppl trying to diagnos him with ADD were told he wasnt. His teacher was not happy at all this kid was in JK and had been suspended several times cause she didn't like to deal with his behavior, but this child was a handfull and was very much a brat. After a few years of me insisting he see the doctor for sleep apnea he got some type of rash and had to see a ENT. and they did find out he has very bad sleep apnea and boy what a difference it made with him having being able to sleep. (Now i'm no expert and didnt think this up myself another friend went thru that with her daughter so for me it was something I new about). Spleep apnea in kids makes them very hyper and can mimick ADD.

Spoiler

Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Filed 03/08/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

Timeline
Ya that made me mad. And we had no options of just changing them to another school.

What do you mean? As far as I'm concerned, you always have other options. You can either A) pay to put them in a catholic/private/special needs school or B ) Find a good district, make a friend, and use their mailing address.

My eyes filled with grit

Timeline

well they are the only schools in town here they have 1 highschool its split into 2 campuses across town one for grades 9&10 the other 11&12. there is only one school for grade 6. all 13 elementry grade 5 kids go there. Now there is a grade 7&8 school again the only school and there is no way we can drive 4 kids out of town to send them to another school. Private/catholic/special. Lets start with special needs school their is none in town again and they are really only for troubled children. Private schools are also out even if we could afford to pay tuition for 4 kids its not an option i'm not allowed to place my kids into a catholic school. I even looked into magnet schools not an option.

Its not as easy as using someone address anyways they need a power bill with your name and address on it at time of enrollement.

The only option i had was grin and bare it leave my kids an a school system that is abusive and watch them deteriate, or pull them out.

Edited by Ontarkie
Spoiler

Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Filed 03/08/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

Filed: Timeline
But follow your gut and your instinks with the schools and don't let anyone force you to get your son on meds. There are many ways to work with ADD?ADHD that don't require meds.

Sorry. No offense, but that gave me a chuckle. (instincts)

After a few years of me insisting he see the doctor for sleep apnea he got some type of rash and had to see a ENT. and they did find out he has very bad sleep apnea and boy what a difference it made with him having being able to sleep. (Now i'm no expert and didnt think this up myself another friend went thru that with her daughter so for me it was something I new about). Spleep apnea in kids makes them very hyper and can mimick ADD.

Interesting. So sad that with the god-awful hour they have to get up for school and the tons of homework they send them home with at night, it's a wonder the poor kids are getting any sleep at all.

Ya that made me mad. And we had no options of just changing them to another school.

What do you mean? As far as I'm concerned, you always have other options. You can either A) pay to put them in a catholic/private/special needs school or B ) Find a good district, make a friend, and use their mailing address.

That would involve signing over parental rights to that "friend".

iagree.gif

Timeline
Its not as easy as using someone address anyways they need a power bill with your name and address on it at time of enrollement.

:o - whoa. I guess they must run into a lot of people wanting to get their kids out of crappy schools!

My husband's coworker is having trouble with his son right now - school in area sucks, bullying etc, so since the wife stays at home she's been home schooling him. He's a really neat little guy - but was having a horrible time with the haole/local thing here and the school also was receiving a failing grade from the feds (?). I'm still not sure no child left behind falls under.

So he's at home now with his mom and getting his education that way. They're actually hoping to leave the islands all together because of it. They're just waiting for the father to have his job transfered elsewhere. Its sad really - because they moved here with such hopes and dreams.

Edit: They moved from Barrow, AK so this was going to be paradise for them. Schools in nowheresville was better than they are here.

Edited by MrsCat

Timeline

Well I have just talked to an Alternative school in Philadelphia. Thats an option and we'll have to move but if thats what I have to do to give my son an equal opportunity in life then I will do it.

Our lease runs out in August so I have to get my duckies in a row. Quack.

Meaning I'll have to get a diagnosis prove he can't cope with regular schools and blah blah more red tape. But I'll give it a whirl.

Edited by Sprailenes

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline

My Sister home schooled her Son for a few years - I don't remember exactly why, I will ask her. It was some blah school situation. Anyway, it went really well.

He is now back in public school and it's all good.

Edited by trailmix

Timeline
Well I have just talked to an Alternative school in Philadelphia. Thats an option and we'll have to move but if thats what I have to do to give my son an equal opportunity in life then I will do it.

Our lease runs out in August so I have to get my duckies in a row. Quack.

You always keep your head high and straight Sprai :star::thumbs:

Timeline

In my opinion, some times that is what has to happen. I know in Jersey, people literally will pay 25K in property taxes a year in order to send their kid to a decent public school.

Also Krikit, you don't have to sign off parental rights. Some towns must be different than others. My father in law is a school board administrator in a bad town with a bad school. He has told me that people from Newark, a city where schools are even worse and dangerous, will do anything to get their kid to his town and put them in school there.

Pretending you live somewhere isn't that hard. I was living with my husband and getting bills at his address addressed to me...fooling the system really isn't that difficult.

My eyes filled with grit

Timeline

Ya i can't spell to save my life. So no worries.

I've been told its a real problem, ppl send thier kids to Little Rock for the better school but we can't be driving them there every morning and picking them up.

Spoiler

Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Filed 03/08/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
Spleep apnea in kids makes them very hyper and can mimick ADD.

Interesting, I would of never thought that. I just thought Jared's teacher was a nut, well still kinda do, LOL

Our Journey

6 June 2008- Mailed I130 to Toronto (DCF)

7 Nov 2008- I130 approved in Toronto!!

21 Nov 2008- Received Packet 3 from Montreal

4 Jan 2009- Mailed Packet back

9 Feb 2009- Medical in Toronto

24 Apr 2009- Interview in Montreal...Approved!!!

30 Apr 2009- Received Visa... few hours later crossed to border for the 6 day drive to Utah!!

6 Apr 2009- Arrived at our new HOME!!

13 May 2009- Welcome letter received

19 May 2009- Went to social security office and "applied" for SSN

22 May 2009- SS Card arrived in mail!! (I guess they did send in the paperwork at the interview...)

???????<<<<waiting for GC>>>>>>

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.