bradcanuck

The Vent

4,952 posts in this topic

I've had bronchitis for the past week (starting the day before New Years Eve) and had to go to Urgent Care on New Years Day for a prescription and pay $50 since I'm uninsured, I've been out of work for 2 weeks due to lack of work and unemployment is jacking me around so I'll probably end up getting denied for that, then, after finally getting work yesterday, my phone line goes down, I miss a couple of calls, and end up losing my $50 bonus for the month, and Réjean and I still can't find his wallet. I just got off the phone with USCIS customer service, and they say the only way that he can get the I-551 stamp in his passport is if he proves that he filed for a replacement green card, which is $390, which we don't have. Meanwhile, Réjean is driving with no license because the DMV requires him to show his green card or the stamp to prove he is legally here.

I can't handle this. I'm so sick and tired of life kicking me down when things finally start looking up. We had a $394 electric bill that we owed for the electricity in our old apartment but my grandfather was kind enough to give us a $400 check to cover it. I was so relieved to not have to worry about it anymore, and now this? $390 for a lost green card that is supposed to be on you at all times? This is cruel. So f*cking cruel. I've had it.

Don't even tell me to call 1-800-SUICIDE. It's a crock of sh*t and makes you feel even worse after you get off the phone with them. And please don't mention "God" unless you really want to see me go postal.

08/25/06 - 08/08/07 - K1 timeframe from mailing the petition to the NSC to K1 approval at the Montréal Consulate

08/31/07 - Réjean makes the big move to the USA

09/22/07 - MARRIED!

10/09/07 - Réjean gets his SSN

Adjustment of status:

10/26/07 - Mailed AOS/EAD/AP

11/23/07 - Biometrics appointment

12/14/07 - I-485 transferred to the California Service Center

12/28/07 - EAD approved!

01/07/08 - EAD received

02/08/08 - GREEN CARD APPROVED!!!!!!

02/16/08 - Green card received!

*headdesk*:

01/02/09 - Réjean loses his wallet containing his drivers license, Social Security card, and green card

02/04/09 - Our best friends bail us out by giving us the money to file for the replacement green card!

02/12/09 - E-filed I-90 for the replacement green card along with the $370 filing fee (including biometrics)

02/19/09 - NOA1

02/25/09 - Biometrics appointment

05/01/09 - Replacement green card received

Removal of conditions:

01/07/10: Mailed I-751 packet by overnight mail to the CSC

01/11/10: I-751 packet delivered and signed for

01/19/10: Received NOA1

01/28/10: Biometrics (did walk-in due to Réjean being out on the road on original date of 02/10/10)

02/03/10: APPROVED!!!

02/05/10: Received e-mail from USCIS saying the card production has been ordered

02/06/10: Received letter typed on plain paper from USCIS congratulating Réjean on his removal of conditions approval

02/11/10: Green card received

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Bah, I posted and it didn't post, VJ is really slow loading for me today.

Anyway Sprailenes, i'm with you on this one.

Since you will probably be a mile away from the ceremony anyway though, why not be 2 miles away where there might be facilites and it might not be as hard to get there (if you really want to be there for the historic moment).

inau16.gif

Yea I have no clue.

I don't know.

Carla.. there will be NO way I would be home for my son in time with the traffic that is being predicted. Also, my reasoning for going would be for my son, and my reasoning for not wanting to go is: my son.

Makes sense? Probably not. I am so confused.

Donne moi une poptart!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Every single work day I am up about 20 minutes before the alarm rings. It SUCKS! I think I am subconsciously afraid of sleeping in but still, I could use that twenty minutes! I don't even know what it is like to have the alarm wake me up anymore because I am always up well before it goes off.

I have the same situation. About 3/4 of the time, I wake up anywhere from 5-30 minutes before my alarm is set for. My problem is, I wake up angry and immediately think : "FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK, i'm missing out on 20 minutes of sleep", and am unable to fall back asleep til the alarm goes off. :angry:

Oh no! Does this mean that you're an elitist jerk? Do you type posts with the word "e-peen" in them? It can be very hard not to laugh at some of the arguments that happen on game forums. People just can't seem to tell that the other person is just trying to get a rise out of them.

What games do you play?

~ Catherine

If it's a game that i'm good at, then yes, yes I do flame people on game forums. I usually only do it when someone says or does something stupid.I do agree that a lot of the arguements on game forums are ridiculous, bordering on asenine. I refuse to get into an arguement whether or not Chuck Norris could in fact beat up Spiderman. But as I kind of suck and am still learning at the game I'm currently addicted to, I just read as much as possible and absorb what I can. I play CS:S, Soldier of Fortune, Team Fortress 2 sometimes, but mostly, I play WoW currently.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
If it's a game that i'm good at, then yes, yes I do flame people on game forums. I usually only do it when someone says or does something stupid.I do agree that a lot of the arguements on game forums are ridiculous, bordering on asenine. I refuse to get into an arguement whether or not Chuck Norris could in fact beat up Spiderman. But as I kind of suck and am still learning at the game I'm currently addicted to, I just read as much as possible and absorb what I can. I play CS:S, Soldier of Fortune, Team Fortress 2 sometimes, but mostly, I play WoW currently.

As soon as you mentioned Chuck Norris I knew you were playing wow. As long as you aren't on the Antonidas server, then I think I will still talk to you :lol:

Timeline
As soon as you mentioned Chuck Norris I knew you were playing wow. As long as you aren't on the Antonidas server, then I think I will still talk to you :lol:

I think some of the jokes are funny every once in a while. But in trade chat, or barrens chat, it's non-stop. I had a period where I found it absolutely hilarious, although, I wouldn't join in forum posts about it. The irony is, Mel hates chuck norris humor so much. She'd rather get kicked by a horse than hear a chuck norris joke...... But, if Walker Texas Ranger comes on the t.v., I am no longer allowed to touch the remote control :rofl:

I play on Blackhand and occasionally on Barthalias.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Bermuda
Timeline

Phil and I met on Manoroth and have sine transferred to Cenarion Circle. I think Blizzard has made more matches than eHarmony.

Luckily, I don't have to suffer through Chuck Norris jokes. It's an RP server. I know, we're nerds! :jest:

~ Catherine

Timeline
I've had bronchitis for the past week (starting the day before New Years Eve) and had to go to Urgent Care on New Years Day for a prescription and pay $50 since I'm uninsured, I've been out of work for 2 weeks due to lack of work and unemployment is jacking me around so I'll probably end up getting denied for that, then, after finally getting work yesterday, my phone line goes down, I miss a couple of calls, and end up losing my $50 bonus for the month, and Réjean and I still can't find his wallet. I just got off the phone with USCIS customer service, and they say the only way that he can get the I-551 stamp in his passport is if he proves that he filed for a replacement green card, which is $390, which we don't have. Meanwhile, Réjean is driving with no license because the DMV requires him to show his green card or the stamp to prove he is legally here.

I can't handle this. I'm so sick and tired of life kicking me down when things finally start looking up. We had a $394 electric bill that we owed for the electricity in our old apartment but my grandfather was kind enough to give us a $400 check to cover it. I was so relieved to not have to worry about it anymore, and now this? $390 for a lost green card that is supposed to be on you at all times? This is cruel. So f*cking cruel. I've had it.

Don't even tell me to call 1-800-SUICIDE. It's a crock of sh*t and makes you feel even worse after you get off the phone with them. And please don't mention "God" unless you really want to see me go postal.

:blink:(F)

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Timeline
There is NOOOOO way I plan to head down to the Mall for the Big event!! Staying as far away as possible!1 Going to be a zoo around here. Talking of closin gmain roads off, maybe 4 to 5 million people!! No thanks! Talk about a prime time for a terrorist attack!!

What!? You'd be part of history! If I lived closer I'd go. I don't know that I'd take my child however. Nev, could you not go with your husband and be back by the time your son got home from school?

part of history?? Howe is standing in a crowd part of history?? Much rather watch it on TV, much safer!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

:angry:

ok so I officially hate our neighborhood!! So every Tuesday they do street cleaning around here and you are not allowed to park your car on the street between 9 and 11 am.. which wasn't a problem for us when we had only one car because we have our parking spot ...

So every Tuesday morning before 9am I would have to go move the car to the main street and go back in 2 hours to move it back because you are only allowed to park on the main street for 2 hours between 9am and 6pm...

so one Tuesday a few weeks ago I slept in and forgot to move the car and ended up with a 30 dollar ticket....

so then hubby says just park the car in the back alley behind our apartment building.. he says a cop told him awhile back that it was ok to park back there.. so that is what we did.. usually I would park my car in our spot and the hubby would park in the alley.... all was going well until one day the hubby says he got a 20 dollar ticket for parking in the alley, as did all the other cars parked back there... it said something on the ticket about citizen complaint :P I bet it is someone who only has one car :P

so then this week I decide to park the car on the main street after 6pm on Monday.... but this morning I go move the car around 11am and I have another ticket for 30 dollars for overnight parking :wacko: nowhere does it say "No overnight parking" .. I did look it up online and I guess it is the law but they really should have a sign post3ed shouldn't they??

:girlwerewolf2xn:

they can't have all these apartment buildings and hardly any place to park cars.. most families have more then one vehicle

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline

Sorry, your going through such difficult times, nothing I can say or type will change anything, but just know that there are a lot of people out there that care about you. Yes some of those hotlines can be very effective, and some can't. It all depends who you speak to, some people are much better communicators than others. So maybe try and talk with a good friend or if possible, try the another hotline, if one googles "suicide hotline" a few different organizations pop up! It is like with any type of counselor, some fit your style, while many do not, one if al possible just has to find that 1 person that fits your style.

Did your husband have any credit cards in his wallet? If so,I assume you canceled them, but ask them if anyone has called and reported that they have found it. That's how I got my lost wallet back. As well Contact your local police and report it missing.

Regarding prescriptions, ask the Dr if their is something generic that he can prescribe, they are far less expensive! many Doctors don't think about the cost, they just prescribe what they are used to prescribing, so ask them, and say, hey, there is no use prescribing me this drug, as I can't afford it. I just saw one of our grocery stores flyers, and for the next while, are not charging any $$$ for certain antibiotic medications (Giant food store)!!

All the best.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline
so then this week I decide to park the car on the main street after 6pm on Monday.... but this morning I go move the car around 11am and I have another ticket for 30 dollars for overnight parking :wacko: nowhere does it say "No overnight parking" .. I did look it up online and I guess it is the law but they really should have a sign post3ed shouldn't they??

Ahhh welcome to my life. I work for the state in transportation and parking and believe me, it is not a pretty picture. They should have a sign but you should argue that they don't. Don't be afraid to contest it, just make sure there isn't a sign anywhere NEAR the place you parked.

I got a ticket this morning actually. I was speeding but he dropped it to an obstruction ticket so I wouldn't get any points. It was nice of the officer to do that but the situation was bonkers. I was driving behind this guy for 25 minutes who was going 20 miles under the speed limit. By my house it is all single lane roads that don't allow you to pass. So this guy was really aggravating me. I mean come on, it's 6am! I finally get to the point in my drive that opens up to 2 lanes and so I have to speed up to go around him.

The cop catches me as I'm speeding up to go around him.

I don't think that is fair considering you always have to accelerate to go around people but what can you do. Not to offend any one who grew up in a rural area but I find the drivers in my small town to be TERRIBLY slow. I just moved from an incredibly urban environment where people go fast so its hard.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Timeline
There is NOOOOO way I plan to head down to the Mall for the Big event!! Staying as far away as possible!1 Going to be a zoo around here. Talking of closin gmain roads off, maybe 4 to 5 million people!! No thanks! Talk about a prime time for a terrorist attack!!

What!? You'd be part of history! If I lived closer I'd go. I don't know that I'd take my child however. Nev, could you not go with your husband and be back by the time your son got home from school?

part of history?? Howe is standing in a crowd part of history?? Much rather watch it on TV, much safer!!

Agreed!

And its so funny how calm most Americans are, everyone including my MIL about it. All it takes is one person to cause mayhem. I don't know... a crowd of 4 million... theres bound to be a few nuts in the bunch. :lol:

Plus I dont want to wait hours for subway either, but its generally just the safety and security of my son. He is my world, if anything ever happened to him, I would never forgive myself, so I avoid situations like the inauguration of the first black president. :lol:

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline

Ahhh welcome to my life. I work for the state in transportation and parking and believe me, it is not a pretty picture. They should have a sign but you should argue that they don't. Don't be afraid to contest it, just make sure there isn't a sign anywhere NEAR the place you parked.

I got a ticket this morning actually. I was speeding but he dropped it to an obstruction ticket so I wouldn't get any points. It was nice of the officer to do that but the situation was bonkers. I was driving behind this guy for 25 minutes who was going 20 miles under the speed limit. By my house it is all single lane roads that don't allow you to pass. So this guy was really aggravating me. I mean come on, it's 6am! I finally get to the point in my drive that opens up to 2 lanes and so I have to speed up to go around him.

The cop catches me as I'm speeding up to go around him.

I don't think that is fair considering you always have to accelerate to go around people but what can you do. Not to offend any one who grew up in a rural area but I find the drivers in my small town to be TERRIBLY slow. I just moved from an incredibly urban environment where people go fast so its hard.

yeah the only sign that is there says 2 hours parking limit between 9am and 6pm...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline

Shooting off topic but sticking with the traffic theme to traffic cops:

Traffic cops are insane in down here, I mean we have speed traps in Ontario but its nowhere near as insane as it is here, cops are always on the look out. My mother admired it when she was down though, but as you can see by the flashing lights on the side of the road, it doesn't stop people from driving like maniacs.

Donne moi une poptart!

I'm sorry... I shouldn't have added that last part to my post. It was one of those few moments where I had come completely unglued.

08/25/06 - 08/08/07 - K1 timeframe from mailing the petition to the NSC to K1 approval at the Montréal Consulate

08/31/07 - Réjean makes the big move to the USA

09/22/07 - MARRIED!

10/09/07 - Réjean gets his SSN

Adjustment of status:

10/26/07 - Mailed AOS/EAD/AP

11/23/07 - Biometrics appointment

12/14/07 - I-485 transferred to the California Service Center

12/28/07 - EAD approved!

01/07/08 - EAD received

02/08/08 - GREEN CARD APPROVED!!!!!!

02/16/08 - Green card received!

*headdesk*:

01/02/09 - Réjean loses his wallet containing his drivers license, Social Security card, and green card

02/04/09 - Our best friends bail us out by giving us the money to file for the replacement green card!

02/12/09 - E-filed I-90 for the replacement green card along with the $370 filing fee (including biometrics)

02/19/09 - NOA1

02/25/09 - Biometrics appointment

05/01/09 - Replacement green card received

Removal of conditions:

01/07/10: Mailed I-751 packet by overnight mail to the CSC

01/11/10: I-751 packet delivered and signed for

01/19/10: Received NOA1

01/28/10: Biometrics (did walk-in due to Réjean being out on the road on original date of 02/10/10)

02/03/10: APPROVED!!!

02/05/10: Received e-mail from USCIS saying the card production has been ordered

02/06/10: Received letter typed on plain paper from USCIS congratulating Réjean on his removal of conditions approval

02/11/10: Green card received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.