bradcanuck

The Vent

4,952 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

If it is just the immediate family, good china would be used, but for larger gatherings, bring on the paper/plastic!! rather be spending time with friends/family, then doing dishes!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline

I saw these at world market - bamboo plates by bambu - decompose in 4-6 months when put in a compost pile.

http://www.amazon.com/All-Occasion-Veneerw...9/dp/B000HM409I

Wonder what the difference in impact on the environment is for paper or bamboo plates vs water used/detergent used - in washing dishes.

Edited by trailmix

I can't believe my husband lost his wallet. WITH HIS SOCIAL SECURITY CARD AND GREEN CARD IN IT.

####. We can NOT afford another green card!!!! And I told him not to keep his Social Security card in his wallet, but what did he say? The same f*cking thing he said when he left his backpack with all of my information in Greyhound's cargo hold instead of keeping it with him like I asked him to (remember what happened with that?):

"Don't worry; it'll be fine".

BULLSH*T.

I am so f*cking livid.

08/25/06 - 08/08/07 - K1 timeframe from mailing the petition to the NSC to K1 approval at the Montréal Consulate

08/31/07 - Réjean makes the big move to the USA

09/22/07 - MARRIED!

10/09/07 - Réjean gets his SSN

Adjustment of status:

10/26/07 - Mailed AOS/EAD/AP

11/23/07 - Biometrics appointment

12/14/07 - I-485 transferred to the California Service Center

12/28/07 - EAD approved!

01/07/08 - EAD received

02/08/08 - GREEN CARD APPROVED!!!!!!

02/16/08 - Green card received!

*headdesk*:

01/02/09 - Réjean loses his wallet containing his drivers license, Social Security card, and green card

02/04/09 - Our best friends bail us out by giving us the money to file for the replacement green card!

02/12/09 - E-filed I-90 for the replacement green card along with the $370 filing fee (including biometrics)

02/19/09 - NOA1

02/25/09 - Biometrics appointment

05/01/09 - Replacement green card received

Removal of conditions:

01/07/10: Mailed I-751 packet by overnight mail to the CSC

01/11/10: I-751 packet delivered and signed for

01/19/10: Received NOA1

01/28/10: Biometrics (did walk-in due to Réjean being out on the road on original date of 02/10/10)

02/03/10: APPROVED!!!

02/05/10: Received e-mail from USCIS saying the card production has been ordered

02/06/10: Received letter typed on plain paper from USCIS congratulating Réjean on his removal of conditions approval

02/11/10: Green card received

I can't believe my husband lost his wallet. WITH HIS SOCIAL SECURITY CARD AND GREEN CARD IN IT.

####. We can NOT afford another green card!!!! And I told him not to keep his Social Security card in his wallet, but what did he say? The same f*cking thing he said when he left his backpack with all of my information in Greyhound's cargo hold instead of keeping it with him like I asked him to (remember what happened with that?):

BULLSH*T.

I am so f*cking livid.

Oh Necrotica! You guys have all the bad luck!! Don't panic though. We can hope that someone who is honest has picked it up and you'll get a call from someone saying they've found it and are returning it. Call the police in case someone has turned it in there as well. Post something in a local paper, or visit bars and restaurants near where he lost it in case someone turned it in there. I hope and pray someone returns it!

Does he have copies of the cards he lost? I'm sure he can get a SS Card replacement fairly quickly, but to get a lost GC, I think it's around $400.00!! Don't apply for one yet though...and please let us know if someone turns it in! Best of luck!

carlahmsb4.gif

Timeline

i lodt my wallet a few yrs back with my greencard in it ouch!! A fellow was nicer enough to cal one of my credit cards and tell lthem he had my wallet!! He wouldnt even accept a reward!!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Wow...400 buckos for a new one? Eeeek.

Back at work today after almost 2 weeks off...why doesn't it seem like 2 weeks wasn't enough? haha

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Timeline

Ok, this actually made me laugh...but it's an RBC story so I figure it belongs here :lol:

They have a rewards program, linked to the cheque card.

So last month I go to sign up online, to check my rewards balance - but it keeps telling me it can't 'confirm' my card. So I call them, there is something different in the address they have and the one RBC has - something like that. I then look at my statement and realize the address is wrong.

We live in lake mary and the bank has

123 Our Street Lake

Lake Mary

Ok, so call the bank and straighten all that out.

So today I try to register again, same thing. So I call the rewards line. Well now they have only part of our address in their system, no City or State etc.

So I have to call RBC again and ask them to resubmit the address.

Wouldn't you think they would run an update at least every night :lol:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
i lodt my wallet a few yrs back with my greencard in it ouch!! A fellow was nicer enough to cal one of my credit cards and tell lthem he had my wallet!! He wouldnt even accept a reward!!!

Flames were you drinking this morning?? :blink:

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline

Flames were you drinking this morning?? :blink:

Lol!! School doesn't start till next week---so I refuse to use spellcheck until then!! That is 1 huge mess of words!!! Surprisingly English wasn't my strong suit in school--Gym class was,lol

Timeline

Ok, so I know this vent is going to be surprising :hehe:

After 3 calls to the bank/rewards program - I finally got the address thing corrected - but that will probably take a couple of weeks.

So while I have them on the phone, I say, you know, I know that you folks have separate addresses on file for me an my Husband (although it is a joint account), so can you make sure that is fixed too, so I don't have to do this again.

BTW - the solution to the rewards program not having current address info on file is to simply retype the WHOLE address on the account.

No - they can't retype his, he will have to call.

So I ask to be put through to a supervisor, which I was after several minutes (they did try to fob me off by offering to take down a complaint and sending it to the national customer service center).

Long story short, by the time I did get a supervisor I was so mad I told them I would just call them back later.

NOW - the good news! I'm looking for a new bank.

Edited by trailmix

Filed: Timeline
JAPANESE FRIEND IS PREGNANT..

Yes you read that right people... PREGNANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bonk::bonk::bonk::bonk::bonk::bonk::bonk::bonk:

:o

Ohboy. Well, maybe Trailmix is right and things will work themselves out for the best. I guess some people just need to learn the hard way, but maybe it'll be the better way in the end. I dunno. Better her than me, though. :lol:

I give my son 100.00 for the hydro bill every month. If he conserves he will have change to keep. If he turns off every light, and makes sure energy isn't being wasted our bill can be as low as 60.00. So he has 40.00 to keep. It really does work well and he feels like he has a really important job in the house. Plus it kind of teaches him responsibility. At first he didn't care and the bill was 105.00. Now he cares because he knows its money in his pocket at the end of the month.

Wow. That's awesome. I think that's a great idea. :thumbs:

Ok, I just think this is really tacky.

I just went to online banking to pay a bill and I noticed the house owner cashed our rent cheque today - or deposited it whenever - bottom line is, it went through today.

While the cheque is dated January 1st, I do know that banks here will pretty much cash anything with a dollar amount on it, so that isn't the issue.

The thing is, why would she cash the cheque before rent day? I always send it to her at least a week in advance as I never want the rent to be late - however I don't think that gives her the right to cash it any old time she feels like it might be convenient for her.

For all she knows that is all the money we have - or what if we got paid at the end of the month and the money wasn't even in there yet?

Tacky tacky tacky.

Too bad you had money in the account. Then she'd have an NSF fee to pay. :devil:

Do people really need to drink to enjoy themselves?

Yes! :dance: I mean.... No! I mean..... :unsure:

Why do people on VJ, feel the need to take a personal swipe at you when you answer with your own opinion?

Someone asks a question, you reply - someone takes a swipe - because they feel they know everything.

This is of course directed at one person in particular that ticks me off on a regular basis....i'm tickkkkkkkkkkkkkedddddddddddddddd.

:unsure:

Why do people on VJ, feel the need to take a personal swipe at you when you answer with your own opinion?

Someone asks a question, you reply - someone takes a swipe - because they feel they know everything.

This is of course directed at one person in particular that ticks me off on a regular basis....i'm tickkkkkkkkkkkkkedddddddddddddddd.

Just say the word and I make your problems disappear sister :ph34r:

no one messes with my Trailmix sister and lives to make one more post.... :angry:

:lol:

Okay, guys. Whatcha all talkin bout? :unsure:

iagree.gif

Filed: Timeline
OMFG - I almost forgot. Mom is bringing me Timbit today from Canada. She stocked up in Edmonton before she caught her plane. That just made me in a better mood.

I certainly hope she is bringing you more than one!!!

:lol:

Has anyone expressed their opinion (vent) about the use of diposable dishes on a regular basis just not ocassionally in some homes in the USA. Or is it just that I come from "green" BC and as an educator and a Girl Guide leader I am trying to make sure that things are reused, recycle and reduced. My stepson even said the other day, "wow, the recycling bin is always full now and the trash aka garbage has hardly anything." When we went to Virginia for holidays, there were no real dishes readily available just disposable. It is sad to think that the landfills are full of throw away dishes. For Christmas this year we bought decent disposable plates and cutlery and I washed it all and put away for the next big soiree. I was vetoed down with renting dishes etc. So I will continue with my cloth shopping bags, and try to educate my corner of the USA about the dangers of dispoables especially foam. End of rant.

Thanks for listening.

Janet

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. I. HATE. That. Drives me bonkers. :protest:

BULLSH*T.

I am so f*cking livid.

:(

Sorry to hear that, Necrotica. I agree with Carla. Maybe someone will turn it in. *crosses fingers*

Trailmix! US banking Sux!!! I hate them too!!!! :ranting: Why can't there be normal banking here? :crying:

Edited by Krikit
iagree.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.