bradcanuck

The Vent

4,952 posts in this topic

Life just keeps getting better (*sarcasm*)

My husband and I have been in some kind of immigration process for over 3 years now which has kept one of us unemployed during that entire time. Although it is nice to have him around on a daily basis, the financial burden is killing me. We live on my income and still have 1 child at home and 1 child away at school with a child of her own who is 3 years old and diagnosed with leukemia. Since my daughter has very little income as a student, I support the grandson the best I can with helping out with medical costs. I haven't seen my daughter or grandson in over 2 years simply because I cannot afford it financially and I miss them terribly.

I have a steady salaried job complete with benefits, but I make enough to cover only the basics of living (rent, food, car payment, etc). Recently, I have had to stop taking my thyroid medication because I can't afford it any longer (in addition to the constant med management via dr visits and lab work that the doc requires before she will write a new script). My period started 20 days ago and will not stop and again, due to lack of funds (not even the $40 needed for a office copay), I just suffer through it, but I am sure it is just due to stress. Sometimes I wish my medical problems were terminal because I am just plain tired and I can get some rest when I am dead.

I am hoping my job slows down enough (I work 10-12 hour days M-F and 5-6 hours every Sat and Sun) so I can take a second job so I feel like I can breathe financially. This holiday, I will not buy 1 present for anyone and I feel terrible for my kids. I feel like a complete failure even though I live an honest life and work my ####### off. At the same time, I don't understand why USCIS is dragging out my husband's EAD like they are.

Good thing I don't believe in God or religion, because both of them would certainly fill me with rage at this point.

Dear Delicia,

I'm so sorry to read your news.

Wow are you ever being put to the test!

And you seem to be doing absolutely great!!!!

Hey, you haven't "killed" anyone.

I wish much success for your partner to get his EAD, so that he can assist you.

Have they lost his paperwork?!!!!!!

Man!!!

That bites...the time...the waiting without clues/answers.

(F)(L)(F)

SpiritAlight edits due to extreme lack of typing abilities. :)

You will do foolish things.

Do them with enthusiasm!!

Don't just do something. Sit there.

K1: Flew to the U.S. of A. – January 9th, 2008 (HELLO CHI-TOWN!!! I'm here.)

Tied the knot (legal ceremony, part one) – January 26th, 2008 (kinda spontaneous)

AOS: Mailed V-Day; received February 15th, 2007 – phew!

I-485 application transferred to CSC – March 12th, 2008

Travel/Work approval notices via email – April 23rd, 2008

Green card/residency card: email notice of approval – August 28th, 2008 yippeeeee!!!

Funny-looking card arrives – September 6th, 2008 :)

Mailed request to remove conditions – July 7, 2010

Landed permanent resident approved – August 23rd, 2010

Second funny looking card arrives – August 31st, 2010

Over & out, Spirit

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

I hate this weather!!! Two weeks of snow and just an utter mess!!!

My car got stuck for an half hour this morning and 8 meth addicts(I work by a meth addiction center)people were nice to help me out!

Then tonight, I get stuck in my gym's parking lot and almost cried to my trainer coz of that darn weather... My engine light is on too. Please, let this madness stops. I am just drained.

So a friend wanting to make me feel better decides to do sushi and wine with me...We had a great time and then his ex called and he just left. He felt bad and all but I feel sorry for him. She just owns him... :(

AOS Approved on 10-17-08 (details in profile)

Removal of Conditions on 07-19-10

In this tedious process, we tend to forget that this is all worth it.

I love my hubby beyond anything in this world.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline
Life just keeps getting better (*sarcasm*)

My husband and I have been in some kind of immigration process for over 3 years now which has kept one of us unemployed during that entire time. Although it is nice to have him around on a daily basis, the financial burden is killing me. We live on my income and still have 1 child at home and 1 child away at school with a child of her own who is 3 years old and diagnosed with leukemia. Since my daughter has very little income as a student, I support the grandson the best I can with helping out with medical costs. I haven't seen my daughter or grandson in over 2 years simply because I cannot afford it financially and I miss them terribly.

I have a steady salaried job complete with benefits, but I make enough to cover only the basics of living (rent, food, car payment, etc). Recently, I have had to stop taking my thyroid medication because I can't afford it any longer (in addition to the constant med management via dr visits and lab work that the doc requires before she will write a new script). My period started 20 days ago and will not stop and again, due to lack of funds (not even the $40 needed for a office copay), I just suffer through it, but I am sure it is just due to stress. Sometimes I wish my medical problems were terminal because I am just plain tired and I can get some rest when I am dead.

I am hoping my job slows down enough (I work 10-12 hour days M-F and 5-6 hours every Sat and Sun) so I can take a second job so I feel like I can breathe financially. This holiday, I will not buy 1 present for anyone and I feel terrible for my kids. I feel like a complete failure even though I live an honest life and work my ####### off. At the same time, I don't understand why USCIS is dragging out my husband's EAD like they are.

Good thing I don't believe in God or religion, because both of them would certainly fill me with rage at this point.

Oh sweetie, things will turn better... You do need to see the doctor though, your health is important! Your hubby EAD should be right around the corner...but your profile shows IR-1?

(((((hugs)))))

AOS Approved on 10-17-08 (details in profile)

Removal of Conditions on 07-19-10

In this tedious process, we tend to forget that this is all worth it.

I love my hubby beyond anything in this world.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Vent about my husband:

So yesterday we get home from his parents and we're putting all the very nice stuff they gave us away and he said out of nowhere: "Today really sucked!" "This Christmas sucked!" I was kind of taken back and I just asked why and he said that he didn't get the things at the top of his list. He felt didn't get anything for just himself from his parents. He also complained that I got a better gift from his parents than he did. He got a sweater from Banana Republic and a 100.00 gift card! But he said that was for work clothes and that isn't something that is for HIM.

I told him that when you're married thats kind of the way the cookie crumbles. You get gifts you can both use instead of "fun stuff". He said at the top of his list was a DVD player and a camera. He felt they got us things from the bottom of the list like kitchen utensils and all that jazz. His granny got us this lovely gourmet pasta food basket, I mean it was REALLY nice. He was all upset over that because he felt offended because we don't "NEED" food, we "NEED" a dvd player.

I think everyone could use food! And we love good food so I loved the basket!

I just never really saw my husband as the type to complain about gifts. They got us things they thought we could use. He was upset because it was all kitchen utensils and baking needs. The thing is, him and I spend a lot of time in the kitchen together, especially on the weekends. I could see why his family would think that kitchen items are things we could get a lot of use out of.

Hello some people get NOTHING.

I didn't even know what to say. I just kind of sat there floored at some of the stuff he was saying.

He said the only person who gave us great stuff was my mother and she's the only one who gave him something fun for himself.

Then he did this impression of his parents: "Here's something for the both of you, here's something for the both of you, here's something for Nevada, here's something for Nevada, here's something for Nevada... oh here Mike... this is for you"

It wasn't like that at all. :lol:

I think he's just upset he didn't get a dvd player. But he has been going back and forth asking about dvd's and bluerays and I could see how his parents would get confused. Plus they never knew our camera was busted so how would they know that we needed a new one? He may have put it on his list but I think they were looking at it from a practical view.

Whatever, I like the gifts they gave us.

My husband is so foo-foo sometimes. I gotta get his a$$ back down to planet Earth. :D

Donne moi une poptart!

No offense to your husband...

And this is why I hate xmas time.

Effin' consumerism!!!!

Why can't people forbid gifts?

Only allow food and get that the gathering is the important part.

I am so aggravated for so many reasons...and one of them is this crumbled spirit of xmas.

LOVE!

and only love.

I hate gifts.

I did not give any (I brought home-made-bakings and chocolates), and I hated that I got some.

Yes, hate is a strong word.

Buy yourself what you need.

Ahem.

/rant

Edited by SpiritAlight

Tied the knot (legal ceremony, part one) – January 26th, 2008 (kinda spontaneous)

Green card/residency card: email notice of approval – August 28th, 2008 yippeeeee!!!

Over & out, Spirit

Timeline

I enjoy giving presents, I enjoy getting presents. I'm not going to lie. :P

But I have always been taught to appreciate what you get. He said from now on he's going to just ask for gift cards because no one can get it right.

Anyways, I am gonna go out later and get him a damn dvd player to shut him up. :lol:

Donne moi une poptart!

Thus the reason why I dislike "lists" It has never been a part of my Christmas traditions. I feel so bad for you that this happened on your first (I believe married Christmas). My husband is not into the gift giving part of Christmas - there was too much greed and "I want I want" when he was married, so now we will just have a huge family dinner aka 45 people each year with his family in California. Aside from that I won a dvd player at my step-son's junior college variety show. If we were close I would drive it over and be a Secret Santa.

Have a Happy New Years!

Janet

Met online playing pinochle in late Feb or March 2001

Married in San Luis Obispo - July 18, 2008

Sent application CR-1/IR-1 on August 26, 2008 to Chicago lock box

September 4, 2008 - Touch #1

Approval email sent January 5, 2009 after 4 months and 2 days

NVC Journey Begins....

NVC Case officially in AVR - January 13, 2009

DS-3032 / AOS Bill Generated - January 16, 2009

AOS Bill snail mailed - January 24, 2009

Emailed DS-3032 - January 26, 2009

DS-3032 emailed read in NH January 30, 2009

DS-3032 accepted at NVC 0n February 2, 2009 via email

AOS Bill Shows as PAID - February 3, 2009

I-864 Package Generated - March 21, 2009

Mailed I-864 Package - March21, 2009

IV Bill Generated - February 3, 2009

Paid IV Bill - March 6, 2009 - snail mail

IV Bill Show as PAID - March 21, 2009

Mailed IV Package - March 21, 2009

REF - April 1, 2009 - Transfered to a supervisor

Case Completed at NVC - April 7, 2009

Medical completed May 27/09 in Vancouver

Interview Date - June 22 - SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED

POE -Vancouver @ YVR- June 28

Permanent resident card received July 20,2009

Social Security Card arrived August 2, 2009

April 2011 started ROC - May 27 biometrics - July 30 received 10 year green card!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Well, you know what they say about boys and their toys..... (as my fiance says it) :whistle:

I got a lot of cooking stuff and houseware for christmas and my birthday. I was actually really excited about the stuff when I got it too. My sister said I was officially "Old" when I got excited about getting a wok. :blush:

Timeline
Thus the reason why I dislike "lists" It has never been a part of my Christmas traditions. I feel so bad for you that this happened on your first (I believe married Christmas). My husband is not into the gift giving part of Christmas - there was too much greed and "I want I want" when he was married, so now we will just have a huge family dinner aka 45 people each year with his family in California. Aside from that I won a dvd player at my step-son's junior college variety show. If we were close I would drive it over and be a Secret Santa.

Have a Happy New Years!

Janet

I agree!! I hate lists! I have never handed over a list and I find lists so boring!

No this is our second married Christmas together. But last year we were living with his parents. Now we're together in our own home. They got us seprate gifts last year. I think they were seeing everything from a practical point of view.

I don't know.

I love my husband but it was just kind of a turn off.

Well, you know what they say about boys and their toys..... (as my fiance says it) :whistle:

I got a lot of cooking stuff and houseware for christmas and my birthday. I was actually really excited about the stuff when I got it too. My sister said I was officially "Old" when I got excited about getting a wok. :blush:

Same here! I got a new non stick rolling pin and I was like: "AWW YEA!"

:lol:

Edited by Sprailenes

Donne moi une poptart!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

so today I come downstairs and every freakin light that could be on was on and my brother and sister-in-law were nowhere to be seen... :blink:

I guess they went back up to their room...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

ARGH! I like my job and really work with a great group of coworkers. However, more and more I am feeling like I am going to have to leave because we will need to move out of our small town area for hubby to be able to find work. No one is hiring carpenters here. A couple mills have shut down and there are a lot of unemployed folks. There are tons of job opportunities in metro areas (according to job postings we have seen online). So, it is starting to look more and more like 1. we have to move closer to a metro area or 2. hubby gets a job out of town and comes home on the weekends. Also, my agency is tiny and does offer health insurance, but the cost I pay is phenomenally high for lousy coverage. So, I feel like I also need to find a job with better health coverage, especially since we have a baby who has had some health issues. I am just really sad because I don't want to move again :(

2e020152f8374f4fbd9014e3cc2c05fe.jpg

catcatadb20080508_-7_My%20child%20is.png

ARGH! I like my job and really work with a great group of coworkers. However, more and more I am feeling like I am going to have to leave because we will need to move out of our small town area for hubby to be able to find work. No one is hiring carpenters here. A couple mills have shut down and there are a lot of unemployed folks. There are tons of job opportunities in metro areas (according to job postings we have seen online). So, it is starting to look more and more like 1. we have to move closer to a metro area or 2. hubby gets a job out of town and comes home on the weekends. Also, my agency is tiny and does offer health insurance, but the cost I pay is phenomenally high for lousy coverage. So, I feel like I also need to find a job with better health coverage, especially since we have a baby who has had some health issues. I am just really sad because I don't want to move again :(

So many challenges.

I wish you much strength and luck Autumnchik.

:star:

so today I come downstairs and every freakin light that could be on was on and my brother and sister-in-law were nowhere to be seen... :blink:

I guess they went back up to their room...

So much for energy conservation.

Over & out, Spirit

Timeline

I give my son 100.00 for the hydro bill every month. If he conserves he will have change to keep. If he turns off every light, and makes sure energy isn't being wasted our bill can be as low as 60.00. So he has 40.00 to keep. It really does work well and he feels like he has a really important job in the house. Plus it kind of teaches him responsibility. At first he didn't care and the bill was 105.00. Now he cares because he knows its money in his pocket at the end of the month.

Donne moi une poptart!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
I give my son 100.00 for the hydro bill every month. If he conserves he will have change to keep. If he turns off every light, and makes sure energy isn't being wasted our bill can be as low as 60.00. So he has 40.00 to keep. It really does work well and he feels like he has a really important job in the house. Plus it kind of teaches him responsibility. At first he didn't care and the bill was 105.00. Now he cares because he knows its money in his pocket at the end of the month.

I think that's a great idea Sprailenes! Teaches him the value of conserving and the value of money all in one go :thumbs:

For Christmas my Husband got 3 undershirts, 3 hoodies and some underwear :lol:

What would your Husband think of those gifts ??

Edited by trailmix

Timeline

I think that's a great idea Sprailenes! Teaches him the value of conserving and the value of money all in one go :thumbs:

For Christmas my Husband got 3 undershirts, 3 hoodies and some underwear :lol:

What would your Husband think of those gifts ??

:lol: I think my husband would probably curl up in the fetal position and cry.

I would never hear the end of it.

Thing is, my son is over at the MIL's today because he doesn't have school and my husband openly complained in front of my son. I am afraid my son may say something to my MIL about it all today. My son tends to just speak very freely about what is said in front of him. Need to be careful.

Donne moi une poptart!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.